Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched Equilibrium for the first time since 2003 this afternoon because people on the internet keep telling me to and it was... good?

If one overlooks the silly gun kata thing then yeah, it's pretty decent

Edit: Gun Kata snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

McCloud posted:

If one overlooks the silly gun kata thing then yeah, it's pretty decent

Edit: Gun Kata snipe

gun kata is real

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If I recall correctly, the early-2000's shithead argument against Equilibrium, which I totally parroted, went a little something like this:

"It's all too broad and cartoony, the gun-kata is silly, the fights are bad, they're trying to rip off The Matrix and do a bunch of stuff that's already been done. Now Fight Club, that's a true thinking person's movie!"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

gun kata is real

gun, k? at a israel

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
no krav maga is bullshit. gun kata (aka gun fu/wushoot) is real and there are many documented demonstrations of it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

no krav maga is bullshit. gun kata (aka gun fu/wushoot) is real and there are many documented demonstrations of it

lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Vl67brJjM

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Equilibrium is good

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

gun kata is real

arcade games have those tethers on the guns because the atf doesnt want you to discover it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I watched Equilibrium for the first time since 2003 this afternoon because people on the internet keep telling me to and it was... good?

it's a truly great bad-movie. gunkata whips rear end

shame about kurt wimmers other movies, they suck rear end

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

If I recall correctly, the early-2000's shithead argument against Equilibrium, which I totally parroted, went a little something like this:

"It's all too broad and cartoony, the gun-kata is silly, the fights are bad, they're trying to rip off The Matrix and do a bunch of stuff that's already been done. Now Fight Club, that's a true thinking person's movie!"

This is correct.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
fight club is also still a great movie tho too

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Xaris posted:

fight club is also still a great movie tho too

Yeah but a lot of dumb guys took Tyler Durden at surface level and turned everything Fight Club was making fun of into a political/life type movement that’s 100% serious

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

did they? i'm not old enough to remember the popular reaction to fight club. just seems to be in tune to a certain kind of guy mindset. like some women get into crystals, some dudes become mma terrorists.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
the anti-durdens always outnumber the durdens by a few orders of magnitude and always have. you dont need to tell people not to emulate tyler durden. if someone is doing that in 2022 they have earned that right. leave em alone

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All male Americans born between 1980 and 1990 read at minimum one Chuck Palahniuk book as teenagers and found it very deep

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
use "I" statements

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

the anti-durdens always outnumber the durdens by a few orders of magnitude and always have. you dont need to tell people not to emulate tyler durden. if someone is doing that in 2022 they have earned that right. leave em alone
Durdens play a very valuable role in society of helping people feel smart for understanding the plot of enormously popular Hollywood movie s

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Farm Frenzy posted:

Durdens play a very valuable role in society of helping people feel smart for understanding the plot of enormously popular Hollywood movie s

they're givers. the anti-durdens only take.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's an important internet skill, to be able to declare with your whole chest that you're not among these countless legions of dudes who took the wrong message from Fight Club

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's the same thing with rick and walter white. like no duh, people find hosed up but competent badass anti-heroes/villains to be interesting. and now we have to have 5 episodes of crying rick so the audience gets not to like him.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

YaketySass posted:

It's an important internet skill, to be able to declare with your whole chest that you're not among these countless legions of dudes who took the wrong message from Fight Club

Umm, excuse me, but I was a cool kid and only took the wrong message from lesser Palahniuk books

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Umm, excuse me, but I was a cool kid and only took the wrong message from lesser Palahniuk books

it's too bad if you think accidentally inverting your colon is cool, but that's nothing a couple of youtube essays can't fix

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

an older friend described the plot of the pool story to me and i decided to never read chuck

YaketySass posted:

it's too bad if you think accidentally inverting your colon is cool, but that's nothing a couple of youtube essays can't fix

lmfao there it is

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Chuck was one of the few popular authors at the time writing about gender and sexuality from a male perspective that wasn't toxic. The fact that such a voice was so rare made him a lot more popular.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

Sad to hear about Witcher though. Just give me a monster of the week starring Henry Cavill grunting at monsters and leave all the boring rear end wizard politics out of it

The same exact problem that x files suffered from. Amazing. Smoking man was epic tho

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
been awhile since I watched equilibrium but my recollection and main criticism is that it's incredibly dull for significant stretches. great setting, enjoyed the gunkata, christian bale is the GOAT, but overall, meh

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

im watching Total Force (1997) and oh my god this thing is a crime scene. every shot is a dutch angle, rotating, shaking and digitally cropped all at once, well beyond the point of motion sickness. the camera is an early digital camera and they left it in auto-exposure, so every shot is either uselessly blown out or pitch black. the plotting is incoherent, the action choreography is charmingly amateurish, and a lot of the dialogue seems to be improvised. about twenty minutes of the runtime is military stock footage. they had Robert Z'dar on set and didn't give him a line or a character and killed him in twenty seconds, just what a loving waste of resources. Richard Lynch is acting circles around everyone and it barely seems like he even wants to be there. but, to its credit, its never not being completely stupid in laughable ways -- only recommended if you're looking for something to holler at with an intoxicated group of friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6g450-CqJ4

contains nudity

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
canceling Robert Z'dar for being pro-Russia

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Earl Sweatshirt blowing up in popularity while being exiled to Samoa was one of the weirdest music stories I've ever followed

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chuck was one of the few popular authors at the time writing about gender and sexuality from a male perspective that wasn't toxic. The fact that such a voice was so rare made him a lot more popular.

it was absolutely still toxic, just couched in levels of irony and detachment

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Running on Empty
CSPAM parenting thread

Lethal Weapon
gently caress yes, i want to see the others

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
did our annual re-watch of Over The Garden Wall while carving pumpkins tonight. show still kicks rear end 8 years running

it's a real bummer that WB-discovery-cn merger and gutting of all their animation means they will never put out another show as good ever again.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mantis42 posted:

it's the same thing with rick and walter white. like no duh, people find hosed up but competent badass anti-heroes/villains to be interesting. and now we have to have 5 episodes of crying rick so the audience gets not to like him.

The aggravating thing is that writers keep harming their own shows because they’ve drunk the twitter kool aid that says liking something in fiction means supporting it in real life. So they create this nonexistent evil fanbase in their head who “doesn’t get it” that they must oppose and “educate”. No you idiots people liked Rick because he’s a miserable cynical fuckup. That’s entertaining. It’s fun to watch. We understood it the whole time. No one thought “Oh Rick is such a good role-model”. And if they did so what? You can’t write every story based on the fear some random idiot will misinterpret your story as a secret message telling them to kill John Lennon.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

i sure as gently caress never get anywhere near big pool drains

e: fb

e2: i feel like there's a delta p joke in here somewhere but i dont have the skill to make it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

galagazombie posted:

You can’t write every story based on the fear some random idiot will misinterpret your story as a secret message telling them to kill John Lennon.
there have been many goons on the forum over the years, especially on tviv, arguing that no they need to write this way. many many more goons that don't understand reading/quoting != endorsement

but yes the dumb tumblr lib tut-tutting over some imaginary audience 'that doesn't get it' is easily one of the worst things about american media

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Xaris posted:

did our annual re-watch of Over The Garden Wall while carving pumpkins tonight. show still kicks rear end 8 years running

it's a real bummer that WB-discovery-cn merger and gutting of all their animation means they will never put out another show as good ever again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4vryZTr6MA
amazing show

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Serf posted:

just watched "deadstream" on shudder and that movie also owns. pretty good send-up of youtube and livestreaming culture, with a guy doing a pitch-perfect imitation of the most annoying type of streamers. it manages to be actually funny and scary, and all the effects are physical. love to see some actual effort put into good costuming and old-fashioned physical props

Yes, I really liked this one as well. The guy nailed that type of personality, plus I like when any horror movie goes the route of having the protagonists try to fight back rather than just kind of being pushed around for 90 minutes until they're finally eaten

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Yes, I really liked this one as well. The guy nailed that type of personality, plus I like when any horror movie goes the route of having the protagonists try to fight back rather than just kind of being pushed around for 90 minutes until they're finally eaten

i kept waiting for him to break character and reveal that the streamer personality was just a facade, but the fact that he never does and just actually is that kind of annoying guy was actually better. and yeah, the fact that the ghosts were physical and could be fought led to a lot of fun moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/incwitcher/status/1586742787726270465