Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Macichne Leainig posted:

I didn't mean to cast any doubt on your claim wolrah. I'll just throw this out here, who hasn't gone a few MPH over on roads you're comfortable on? I know I'm guilty of speeding at times. Sure, maybe not 10+ MPH over in New York city limits, but "speeding" is always relative to many things, individuals included.

My town is really bad about poor light timing and whatnot so it just leads to really bad driving habits because who wants to hit every red light on the way home? I sure as hell don't.

People go 10+ mph over in NYC all the time. No comment on whether that’s good or bad, just as a factual matter this is standard if you can do it (but there are a lot of cars so you often can’t).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

That study is specifically on highways, so it’s a bit of a stretch to take it and apply it to any speed limit anywhere.

i thought when governments say "highway" it generally means any public road. in fact, the text of the reference says "the major emphasis of this research is on streets and highways that were posted between 20 and 55 mi/h", which sounds pretty inclusive

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

builds character posted:

People go 10+ mph over in NYC all the time. No comment on whether that’s good or bad, just as a factual matter this is standard if you can do it (but there are a lot of cars so you often can’t).

I probably would go 10+ mph over in NYC at least once if I was comfortable driving there at all and I had the opportunity, but alas, neither has been true. I took the subway like a dumb little tourist

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Macichne Leainig posted:

I probably would go 10+ mph over in NYC at least once if I was comfortable driving there at all and I had the opportunity, but alas, neither has been true. I took the subway like a dumb little tourist

I've driven in LA, Chicago, Minneapolis and Dallas.

New York City is one of the few places I will absolutely not drive in if given any choice. Last time I was there the bus I was riding in traded paint and body dents (we were sideswiped by the trailer) with a semi truck on the interstate highway at speed, and neither driver thought it was a big deal.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PremiumSupport posted:

New York City is one of the few places I will absolutely not drive in if given any choice. Last time I was there the bus I was riding in traded paint and body dents (we were sideswiped by the trailer) with a semi truck on the interstate highway at speed, and neither driver thought it was a big deal.

Did u die tho?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PremiumSupport posted:

Honestly driving in NYC isn't *that bad*, it's just not worth firing up the car unless you're leaving NYC. You have to be the right mix of patient and assertive but eventually you'll be somewhere better.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Safety Dance posted:

You have to be the right mix of patient and assertive

That's a good way to describe it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
an entire channel of someone driving like a complete loving shithead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-SXEg2_Ydk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw4n2RFlXqM

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 29, 2022

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hopefully when that idiot kills himself he doesn't take anyone with him.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Hopefully when that idiot kills himself he doesn't take anyone with him.

Agreed. And hopefully he hasn't bred, yet. We don't need those genes/upbringing being passed on.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

As if the trooper wasn't just sitting there finishing his paperwork or reading his phone. Nah bro it's cuz you're soooo quick.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

As if the trooper wasn't just sitting there finishing his paperwork or reading his phone. Nah bro it's cuz you're soooo quick.

just read the comments to lower your iq 20 points

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

just read the comments to lower your iq 20 points

I love all the people telling him to stay safe. It's like, does this LOOK like a person who cares if they (or anyone else around them) live another 5 years?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Speed limits need explanations like movie ratings. "This road is rated 60 km/h for... hidden driveways, lovely margins, a school is near here" etc.

There's the argument that a lot of places have speed limits set stupidly low, but honestly I don't see very many of them (it's mainly a problem with freeways), it's just that people don't appreciate the hazards and factors that have led to lower speed limits.

It's also a matter of situational awareness. There's a road on my way to work with an 80 km/h limit. That's, if anything, a wee bit fast for some sections of the road if you aren't paying attention. It's also very slow for the portions of the road with excellent visibility when there are no confounding factors. Unless you're going to have speed limit signs every few kilometers according to each section of road, every curve and hill crest, or simply trust drivers to make good judgements (and you shouldn't do either of those things, because they're terrible ideas), you'll have that situation and no amount of road design is going to change it. If you want to go fast, speed and take your chances; look out for late-model Fords, especially parked by the side off the road

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PT6A posted:

Speed limits need explanations like movie ratings. "This road is rated 60 km/h for... hidden driveways, lovely margins, a school is near here" etc.

There's the argument that a lot of places have speed limits set stupidly low, but honestly I don't see very many of them (it's mainly a problem with freeways), it's just that people don't appreciate the hazards and factors that have led to lower speed limits.

It's also a matter of situational awareness. There's a road on my way to work with an 80 km/h limit. That's, if anything, a wee bit fast for some sections of the road if you aren't paying attention. It's also very slow for the portions of the road with excellent visibility when there are no confounding factors. Unless you're going to have speed limit signs every few kilometers according to each section of road, every curve and hill crest, or simply trust drivers to make good judgements (and you shouldn't do either of those things, because they're terrible ideas), you'll have that situation and no amount of road design is going to change it. If you want to go fast, speed and take your chances; look out for late-model Fords, especially parked by the side off the road

There's a common theme I've noticed in small towns in the mountain west, it may be common in more places, this is just where I've driven a lot and observed it.

Small towns on the highway here often will have you slow from 70 down to 25 in the course of a mile or less, not always in a speed trap manner where it's rapid, sometimes though. My issue is that the highway I was on with a 70mph speed limit had no shoulders, and narrow lanes, then the town has a really wide road with long sight lines. The lanes are as wide or wider than the highway. There's parking space on each side. The businesses are set way back from the road with big parking lots and little landscaping. Everything you see is telling you that it's a 45mph road, and it's 25. It's left to the reader to decide if this is a well designed speed trap for travellers or if it's design incompetence.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

A road that feels safer than it actually is is exactly the problem. Where because the road is built for high speed people are going to drive at a high speed regardless of the desired speed through the area.

You don't fix this with limits, no matter how much you try to explain them. You fix this by making the road less comfortable to drive fast on, naturally reducing speeds.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Around last New Year I finally experienced and understood this concept. I really didn't want to drive more than 10km/h above the speed limit on this road. In fact, I even stopped to let faster traffic pass me. Probably the first time in my life.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Saukkis posted:

Around last New Year I finally experienced and understood this concept. I really didn't want to drive more than 10km/h above the speed limit on this road. In fact, I even stopped to let faster traffic pass me. Probably the first time in my life.

Every time it snows in Minnesota (especially the first few of the year), everyone spends the first half of their work day saying "it's like people don't remember how to drive in the snow." Half the people saying it mean not properly adjusting speed for the slick conditions, the other half are the tailgaters complaining because people are slowing down.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

There's a common theme I've noticed in small towns in the mountain west, it may be common in more places, this is just where I've driven a lot and observed it.

Small towns on the highway here often will have you slow from 70 down to 25 in the course of a mile or less, not always in a speed trap manner where it's rapid, sometimes though. My issue is that the highway I was on with a 70mph speed limit had no shoulders, and narrow lanes, then the town has a really wide road with long sight lines. The lanes are as wide or wider than the highway. There's parking space on each side. The businesses are set way back from the road with big parking lots and little landscaping. Everything you see is telling you that it's a 45mph road, and it's 25. It's left to the reader to decide if this is a well designed speed trap for travellers or if it's design incompetence.

Design incompetence is out there: I was driving through Costa Rica near the city of Liberia and they had a huge problem on Highway 1 where the speed limit would fluctuate between 40, 60 and 80 km/h almost variably throughout the road. I'm guessing it was a situation where they built the road, someone then built a branch to the road, so they'd just add another speed limit sign dropping from 80 to 60, or to 40 even, depending upon how close the residential areas were to the highway. There was one part of the highway where it went from 60 to 80 to 40 to 60 in I'm guessing an 1/8th of a mile. I initially thought this was a speed trap to snag tourists, but I hadn't seen a single cop the entire week I spent in the country so I'm guessing it was just a "gently caress it, I'm just gonna add a sign and call it a day" thing.

Either way, the residents of Costa Rica really didn't give a poo poo and would blast by me going 20-30 km/h over the speed limit, so I'm guessing it was all a suggestion in the first place.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had a motorcyclist road rage at me because I beeped at him for flying past me on the right when I was explicitly leaving room for the construction folks on the side of the road.

Kept trying to cut me off and finally pulled along side me wanting to fight. I just kept telling him "OK buddy, drive safe." He got pretty bored of that thankfully.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Also how could I pop into this thread and also not complain about the motherfucker who stole the cat off my truck at 5:55 AM this morning :argh:

Thanks for the repair bill, hope you enjoy the crack.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Shout out to the driver veering all over the place on a 60mph road this morning who on passing was face deep in her phone and completely oblivious to me waving trying to catch her attention as I passed.

Shout out to this dangerous fucker too

https://twitter.com/JewishResister/status/1577717561969578003?t=k-ojVoB9lXG4MsAgPHLDAg&s=19

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Macichne Leainig posted:

Also how could I pop into this thread and also not complain about the motherfucker who stole the cat off my truck at 5:55 AM this morning :argh:

Yeah, happened to my Accord last week. I found out when I started it in the morning and it made a noise like no plain jane Accord ever should.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Flint Ironstag posted:

Yeah, happened to my Accord last week. I found out when I started it in the morning and it made a noise like no plain jane Accord ever should.

I was awake when it happened to me. Heard the power tools and knew they were up to no good, but it was too late, I was only yelling at them as they ran away with it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Love the perfect shot of pills on the seat.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I bet she has AAA and was too drugged out to use it. Everyone I knew in Southern California when I lived there had AAA. So much so that the CA AAA affiliate has a lock out on how soon after buying coverage that you can get a free tow.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Macichne Leainig posted:

I was awake when it happened to me. Heard the power tools and knew they were up to no good, but it was too late, I was only yelling at them as they ran away with it.

A Sawzall is a fantastic tool. Apparently too fantastic. As an auto tech, I know how fast one with a good blade can cut through an exhaust pipe. I just wish the scumbag had left me enough exhaust pipe on the forward side to allow me to make a cheap repair.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Fifty Three posted:

Love the perfect shot of pills on the seat.

Yeah that lady must’ve been popping whatever that poo poo was like pez candy because holy hell. :stonk:

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

:catdrugs:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Flint Ironstag posted:

A Sawzall is a fantastic tool. Apparently too fantastic. As an auto tech, I know how fast one with a good blade can cut through an exhaust pipe. I just wish the scumbag had left me enough exhaust pipe on the forward side to allow me to make a cheap repair.

They cut it up against a clamp and it's thankfully a straight pipe section so I can straight pipe my truck for now, and there's no emissions in my county anyway so it's fine. At least as fine as someone stealing an old truck's cat for probably like $80 worth of scrap metal could be

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/freep/status/1581797653880328193?s=46&t=dgkoWHpuMky4D2vikczjbQ

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

It should help cut down on trucks racing each other for tens of miles because one of them has a .5mph higher top speed.

So I10 between Phoenix and LA.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

So I10 between Phoenix and LA.

I introduce theeeee to i80 and i84, coast to coast, especially west of Nebraska.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I introduce theeeee to i80 and i84, coast to coast, especially west of Nebraska.

I80 in wyoming in a semi is loving dogshit, so many 10 mile 4% upgrades

e: lol, quoting someone with a terrible driver user name

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 19, 2022

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Rode by a mysterious accident today, I guess the poor thing got spooked and bolted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Wrong thread

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
in its true natural state

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
https://twitter.com/KiwiEV/status/1586447822882152454

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy