Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Musk doing a speed run on confirming my decision to leave Twitter was the right idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

captkirk posted:

Musk doing a speed run on confirming my decision to leave Twitter was the right idea.

Which one are you, Ligma or Johnson?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

prom candy posted:

Which one are you, Ligma or Johnson?

Oh I left months ago because I figured this kind of absolute chaos was coming.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Suckers, I never even joined.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

captkirk posted:

Oh I left months ago because I figured this kind of absolute chaos was coming.

And you missed out on le epic memester troll boss bringing a sink into the office? For shame!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

prom candy posted:

And you missed out on le epic memester troll boss bringing a sink into the office? For shame!

You are correct, I missed out on the daily experience of having my stress levels attached to the actions and attention seeking of Elon Musk and instead spent a couple months gardening, day drinking, and chilling with my dog.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels like most of the devs at Twitter are working on stuff that the new CEO doesn’t care about at all so that’s going to be quite a thing. Like all their projects to compete with stuff like Clubhouse and Stories probably make up a lot of the new dev.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
They'll have incredible new ideas like "hard copy code review with Elon Musk"

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1586127052767318016?s=20&t=7uhwoaz9C2Iad9lQL7QgBg

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Best response in the discussion: "the clown car is now electric."

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Sometimes you choose a place because you like the people, sometimes you believe in the product.
Not sure why someone would choose to stay at Twitter right now.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

StumblyWumbly posted:

Sometimes you choose a place because you like the people, sometimes you believe in the product.
Not sure why someone would choose to stay at Twitter right now.

Money?

Also keep in mind that not everyone on earth shares the same political viewpoint as 99% of this forum and some people who work for Twitter may even like Elon Musk and agree with the direction he wants to take the company.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Money?

Also keep in mind that not everyone on earth shares the same political viewpoint as 99% of this forum and some people who work for Twitter may even like Elon Musk and agree with the direction he wants to take the company.

Adjacent to this: I'd imagine there are some engineers are who are pretty frustrated that Twitter basically delivers no meaningful features to it's users like...ever. If Elon is seen as a herald of changes to come in that regard, it might be exciting for some of those folks.

Besides that, it's the devil you know and all that. And Money.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I can't remember, how long did they work on an edit button, and did they actually release it or is that feature still in closed beta?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Money?

What money? Rumor is that RSUs are frozen with no announcement of what will happen with them.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I can't remember, how long did they work on an edit button, and did they actually release it or is that feature still in closed beta?

Twitter Blue has it, and given that Musk mentioned subs at being a focus, that might be the only place for it.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

asur posted:

What money? Rumor is that RSUs are frozen with no announcement of what will happen with them.

What they should do is treat them as cash payouts at the current stock price and vesting schedule. Maybe have an immediate vesting event to build some goodwill.

But if Elon is trying to thin the herd he might decide to cancel them all, who knows. What do all these nerds do all day anyway?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

If you are even vaguely good you can get the same money somewhere else without a complete lunatic asking for paper printouts of your code (and expecting, what was it, 50 pages worth of code to be written in a month - is that US letter? cos that's a fuckload to ask over 20 workdays) and liable to fire you at the drop of a hat and, apparently, screw you out of your severance on top of that.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It was pointed out in another thread and I'm interested in the view here: Seems like Twitter doesn't really have code problems. They aren't losing hundreds of millions because their code is shoddy or unstable. They have business problems, so putting all the effort into code reviews seems a bit backwards.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Practically seems much easier to just use last years ratings to decide who to keep, if the goal is simply “make headcount go down.”

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

yeah i can totally imagine a twitter engineer who's just seething at the success of prior free-speech platforms and is eager to watch twitter turn into Gab, Truth Social, or Parler.

musky's other companies aren't really known for paying top dollar either. but after you lop off the folks who know anything and folks who have better options bolt, the company might get desperate to retain anyone at all?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It could just be an effort of "who says how high when I say jump" to find his loyalists.

Complain about printing your 50 pages of code? Goodbye!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

feedmegin posted:

If you are even vaguely good you can get the same money somewhere else without a complete lunatic asking for paper printouts of your code (and expecting, what was it, 50 pages worth of code to be written in a month - is that US letter? cos that's a fuckload to ask over 20 workdays) and liable to fire you at the drop of a hat and, apparently, screw you out of your severance on top of that.

Power move would be to bring a shredder and say that you spent most of your time deleting bad code.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm gonna automate myself out of a job by having a printer automatically feed all newly committed code straight into the shredder

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Power move would be to bring a shredder and say that you spent most of your time deleting bad code.

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Negative_2000_Lines_Of_Code.txt

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CPColin posted:

I'm gonna automate myself out of a job by having a printer automatically feed all newly committed code straight into the shredder

This but for posts

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

StumblyWumbly posted:

It was pointed out in another thread and I'm interested in the view here: Seems like Twitter doesn't really have code problems. They aren't losing hundreds of millions because their code is shoddy or unstable. They have business problems, so putting all the effort into code reviews seems a bit backwards.

i'm pretty sure I can guess what elon is thinking. twitter has 3000 engineers, and their primary product is a web site that shows 280 character long forum posts. wtf is going on with twitter engineering?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i'm pretty sure I can guess what elon is thinking. twitter has 3000 engineers, and their primary product is a web site that shows 280 character long forum posts. wtf is going on with twitter engineering?
to be fair that is not an entirely unreasonable question

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Sagacity posted:

Answer is that their main product is selling advertising, and the bird app is just means of getting eyeballs to show the ads to, and for gathering data to be able to do so more effectively.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah the UI to manage the in-house ad platform, and to manage the in-house moderation platform, probably dwarfs the actual end-user UI.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also they have multiple UIs, both main Twitter and TweetDeck, etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The infrastructure you need to run Twitter at web scale is pretty substantial too.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sagacity posted:

Yes it is. The bulk of the code is for user data aggregation and advertising. Not to mention devops and networking infrastructure.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Yeah, why does Twitter need all those engineers? All they're doing is running a website with more than 200 million users, allowing users to post text, photos, and videos with minimal latency and effectively eternal retention, with recommendation algorithms constructing a timeline and selecting ads, more ML around ranking comments and removing ToS violating posts, and there's the creation of new features, complying with privacy laws from multiple levels of governments, ensuring security of user data and of the services themselves (sometimes against nation state actors), and running the data centers themselves. All with pretty good reliability and uptime.

Doesn't make sense to me! Hell, I've made Twitter over the weekend using the latest hot web framework like... 8 times. Seems easy to me!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Well said. Also their search is utterly magical. I’m always impressed with how quick I can retrieve the most obscure tweets with just a filters. Meanwhile Facebook’s has gotten phenomenally worse over the years.

Anyway, it sounds like Elon’s gonna burn it down from the inside.

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1586883942870749185?s=46&t=rI5n4CkRckkwbO0gPIKbxQ

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

captkirk posted:

there's the creation of new features

This is the one that always gets me. They'll make the tiniest of tweaks every few months and it almost always first releases as a broken pile of poo poo that nobody asked for. It sometimes feels like a case of a company creating a feature-complete product and then not knowing what to do with itself beyond that.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

CPColin posted:

This is the one that always gets me. They'll make the tiniest of tweaks every few months and it almost always first releases as a broken pile of poo poo that nobody asked for. It sometimes feels like a case of a company creating a feature-complete product and then not knowing what to do with itself beyond that.

Hey, I'm not saying they added great features or the most useful. I'm still flabbergasted they haven't launched a worthwhile long form and monetization feature to eat the lunch of substack. Some twitter accounts are just indexes of a substack's article.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

Circles are apparently pretty cool. They're also broken, so no one uses them. But in theory they're cool.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Simple way to save on Twitter employee costs: stop loving with the ordering of my timeline, and get rid of all employees working on that. Stop trying to insert "topical" tweets (no, I am not interested in Valorant, and this goes double to tweets about the results of singke series at some minor tournament), and get rid of all employees working on that. Stop loving with the UI all the time, and ...

:v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Xarn posted:

Simple way to save on Twitter employee costs: stop loving with the ordering of my timeline, and get rid of all employees working on that. Stop trying to insert "topical" tweets (no, I am not interested in Valorant, and this goes double to tweets about the results of singke series at some minor tournament), and get rid of all employees working on that. Stop loving with the UI all the time, and ...

:v:

Those are ads, just FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
They want to do daily sync-ups on top of our daily standup which is now in the afternoon and includes more people than ever

I mean if they want to fill up my calendar with meetings so I can't do work that's their problem I guess, long as the paychecks still come in