Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Gen 1 SV650s: remove pillion seat with key. Get out tool roll. Remove 2 hex head screws and 2 clips that keep on plastic cladding. Remove 2 philips screws holding on the seat.
It's bloody stupid, especially with the cladding being held on with different screws than the seat.

FZR600 3he: Remove the pillion seat with key. Rider seat can now be lifted out.
Done.

Whyyyy, Suzuki?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

T Zero posted:

On a Monster 696, you need to remove 13 screws, three fairings, and lift off the gas tank in order to get to the battery. Take a wild guess how I discovered this.

Just in case anyone wanted to see what the process actually looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQz9PsUPAc&t=24s

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Right, that looks fun.
Does it come with a factory charge lead for easy battery maintainance? I can't imagine it's different than any other bike vs getting a low battery by sitting for a while.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

Right, that looks fun.
Does it come with a factory charge lead for easy battery maintainance?

Lol

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah you can plug this into the DDA connector that should be around somewhere, and plug your charger into that.

https://www.carpimoto.it/en-US/Bike...to-SAE-plug.htm

Or maybe this one idk

https://shop.ducatimilano.com/en/100532-adapter-cable-euro-5-charger-ducati-5101g732a.html

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 31, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

T Zero posted:

That's a dumb bad place for a battery that, if my Scrambler is any indication, is definitely going to die on you.

RE seats, on my bikes:

Harley Road Glide - two bolts behind the seat. One thumbscrew if you're using one of those front/rear combo seats, but it's also bolted down with a leather oh poo poo strap.

Ducati Scrambler - As said, key.

Kawasaki KLX230 - key to remove one side plastic, force to remove the other, then six (?) bolts of two different sizes.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

OK ok so on this Ducati (famous for electric gremlins) the battery (famously intolerant of heat cycles and vibrations) sits on top of the engine which is also taking up space for fuel. That's incredibly stupid, but at least taking a motorcycle tank off is typically just bolt at the front, bolt at the rear.

Ducati:

T Zero posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw originally, to get at a monster battery you would take the seat off with the key, then you would undo the tank strap at the front (no tools required) and the tank would tilt up to reveal the battery. They even had a little bonnet prop to keep the tank upright.

Then everyone decided naked bikes need bodywork and now you have the current situation. Old Ducatis were actually super easy to work on.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

televiper posted:

2+ bolts seems common for dual sports

Yeah this is every dual sport I've experienced. DR650 is a bolt each for side panels and then one bolt for each side of the seat.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah this is every dual sport I've experienced. DR650 is a bolt each for side panels and then one bolt for each side of the seat.

Pretty much the same for my dirt bikes. Except that the old 250 EXC doesn't have a battery under the seat.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TotalLossBrain posted:

Pretty much the same for my dirt bikes. Except that the old 250 EXC doesn't have a battery under the seat.

Yeah, I was just going to edit in that my DR350 didn't have a battery so I only ever needed in there to service the air filter.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

T Zero posted:

Any joy I'd get from riding that bike would probably be more than countered by trying to do my own maintenance on it. Why is the battery under the tank?! Why did they seemingly randomly chose both 3 and 4mm bolts?!

XT250 has a pair of bolts above the rear wheel to remove the seat and get access to the battery.

NC750 has a second keyhole just rear of the handlebars. Turn it one way to open the frunk, then pop out a few of those plastic holding pins to remove a panel inside that's covering the battery. Turn it the other way to lift up the pillion seat and gain access to both the fuel cap and the bolts needed to remove the main seat.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 1, 2022

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Are there bikes with under tail exhausts that don’t have the battery under the tank?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My 250 EXC :cheeky:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My China250 has a high dual sport exhaust and the battery under a side panel. One bolt to get the panel off and I can't tell you what to get the battery out because I haven't had to yet.

My old Suzuki has the battery under a side panel and the only tool you need is something for the terminal screws. The side cover just pops off and the battery is held in with a rubber strap

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

moxieman posted:

Are there bikes with under tail exhausts that don’t have the battery under the tank?
Hornet 900 and 600
Vrf800
Vrf400
Cbr600
Zx6
Zx10
Bking
D675 and speed triple
Ducati 999/749/ST

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

moxieman posted:

My Street Triple had it under the seat easily accessible, and on the 919 its behind a side panel held on with one screw.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

moxieman posted:

Well, the 696 has side-mounted exhausts, so it doesn't even have that excuse.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Hello I would like to cover the rear cylinder of my air cooled bike with a nice thick piece of leather because I need to ride in shorts and it gets quite hot.

https://cool-thighs.com

:stonk:

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Just put fins on the front, boom you've got an air intake it's just like a panigale.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

:hmmyes:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

moxieman posted:

Hello I would like to cover the rear cylinder of my air cooled bike with a nice thick piece of leather because I need to ride in shorts and it gets quite hot.

https://cool-thighs.com

:stonk:

not surprised, but all I get is a flash-esque loading bar that stops at 99% and an invalid security certificate warning. for what you're describing that sounds extremely on brand

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

not surprised, but all I get is a flash-esque loading bar that stops at 99% and an invalid security certificate warning. for what you're describing that sounds extremely on brand

The load screen is quite a thing to see in 2022. Using Firefox? It will sometimes throw an invalid cert warning. It should work in Chrome. What a dumb product. Patented!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm sure it's my setup, I have a couple of ad-blocking and privacy extensions installed in the browser and a pi-hole running to catch ads. The page did eventually load but it was the early-2000s era mess that I expected it to be. All it's missing is background music and scrolling text

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/z8fgrk/unmarked_police_car_brake_checks_a_motorcycle_at/

ACAB

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mate just sent me this picture, Honda CRF

Diy :allears:

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

https://www.reddit.com/r/facepalm/comments/zl0qkl/no_good_deed_goes_unpunished/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

ACAB: laguna bitch.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Mate just sent me this picture, Honda CRF

Diy :allears:

it will eventually become a tapered bearing. This is insane they might as well have just used a stack of flat washers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:hmmyes: It'll wear in before it wears out

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

pouring one out for all the 390 owners who posted in here once or twice and then disappeared

https://old.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/101i8ai/final_update_of_my_baby_duke/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol piston, cylinder, head and valves as wear items

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is the cringe thread right?

Disclaimer: not my client

Other potentially useful information: it is a 250, the owner is a middle aged truck driver

Not related:

Rebel 250. The exhaust mods did literally nothing to change the noise lol

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

stop loving snowing

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

FBS posted:

stop loving snowing

no

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

FBS posted:

stop loving snowing

Please god make it stop I want to take the loving bike out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

stop loving snowing

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Rain’s coming down in sheets near Toronto. But don’t worry, it’ll freeze soon.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

epswing posted:

Rain’s coming down in sheets near Toronto. But don’t worry, it’ll freeze soon.

Yep, over in KW we got the freezing rain out of the way at the start. How does everyone deal with road salt? Scrub the crap out of the bike after a ride on salty roads?

I usually wait for a couple of hard rains after the last time I saw the plow trucks to wash away the salt, but with the weather patterns this year, that will likely be April. I’d like to be able to sneak in a ride on the good days on my DRZ. I’ll leave my bigger bike in the garage until the roads are clear.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Snowing again in Portland WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here in San Francisco it's going to be sunny and balmy until Tuesday :sun: