Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The bigger nonprofits make a lot of money for their C-suite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

$240 a year for a blue tick. :lol:

Assuming that they give it to whoever pays the money they'll probably make a decent chunk initially from those who want the cred of a verified account, but that will also drop off as the value of a blue tick drops.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:

That's not the kind of dev I do but it sounds completely off the wall to me to try and push a user-facing change like this in about a week. And with monetization on the line?
As was pointed out on the Musk thread, you have to roll this out in a week for a company with nearly no experience in monetization, and certainly no experience in large-scale monetization

And probably with Musk demanding it all be done on the blockchain.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Twitter was really undermonetizing the blue tick though. Any business with a Twitter presence would have been happy to pay more than a nominal amount. And of course all the fools who obsess over it as a status symbol.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That should make it about as useful as a BBB A+ rating.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/holly_holl/status/1586898018393104386

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I can't believe anyone thought Musk buying Twitter would be a bad thing, thus is loving comedy gold.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol remember when we used browsers for book marking or an address book , over even a local txt file on you local storage and not let websites themseleves do bookkeeping (so they could data mine us)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PhazonLink posted:

lol remember when we used browsers for book marking or an address book , over even a local txt file on you local storage and not let websites themseleves do bookkeeping (so they could data mine us)

I still add bookmarks on my browser, because i don't like having seventy tabs open at once

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Agents are GO! posted:

I can't believe anyone thought Musk buying Twitter would be a bad thing, thus is loving comedy gold.

Also I think it's for the best. Not for Twitter, but rather for society. It should be destroyed, and the earth salted, that nothing may ever grow in its place. Hopefully its complete annihilation heralds the beginning of the end for all platforms that thrive on engagement and care not a whit for how they achieve it, because while Twitter is the worst of the bunch, all social media platforms suffer from the same idea.

These platforms have done untold harm. The blood of millions is on their hands as they acted as a willing conduit for anti-vaxx bullshit and other right-wing lunacies, with not so much as a slap on the wrist from content moderation. If it takes a bunch of Klansmen saying the N-word, and a loving Afrikaaner rich bastard weirdo trying to monetize nonsense, to finally convince people at large that this is a dreadful platform that makes our days sour and our nights rancid, then let it be done. It shouldn't have to come to that, but the ends justify the means in this case.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mister Facetious posted:

I still add bookmarks on my browser, because i don't like having seventy tabs open at once

Some of us can do both.
My Firefox window is the real Tech Nightmare.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PT6A posted:

Also I think it's for the best. Not for Twitter, but rather for society. It should be destroyed, and the earth salted, that nothing may ever grow in its place. Hopefully its complete annihilation heralds the beginning of the end for all platforms that thrive on engagement and care not a whit for how they achieve it, because while Twitter is the worst of the bunch, all social media platforms suffer from the same idea.

These platforms have done untold harm. The blood of millions is on their hands as they acted as a willing conduit for anti-vaxx bullshit and other right-wing lunacies, with not so much as a slap on the wrist from content moderation. If it takes a bunch of Klansmen saying the N-word, and a loving Afrikaaner rich bastard weirdo trying to monetize nonsense, to finally convince people at large that this is a dreadful platform that makes our days sour and our nights rancid, then let it be done. It shouldn't have to come to that, but the ends justify the means in this case.

You have my full support in this.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

"Wikipedia is a social media platform" and "registered non-profits are actually for-profit" are definitely takes.

They're certainly takes, yes. They're not my takes, though! I didn't say either of those two things.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mister Facetious posted:

You have my full support in this.

Having been addicted to both Twitter and cigarettes, I can honestly say that Twitter is worse than any tobacco company would consider being in their darkest nightmares. It's been long enough that I can turn them both down now, but if you observe what goes on with Twitter from a distance, it's truly unhinged poo poo. Twitter exists to make you feel whatever it is you already felt, more strongly, and usually to a pathological degree. No one's ever been convinced of a single goddamn thing on Twitter, and in fact the medium makes it untenable to present a reasoned argument, it just exists so everyone can perform their Two Minutes Hate at any time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PT6A posted:

Having been addicted to both Twitter and cigarettes, I can honestly say that Twitter is worse than any tobacco company would consider being in their darkest nightmares. It's been long enough that I can turn them both down now, but if you observe what goes on with Twitter from a distance, it's truly unhinged poo poo. Twitter exists to make you feel whatever it is you already felt, more strongly, and usually to a pathological degree. No one's ever been convinced of a single goddamn thing on Twitter, and in fact the medium makes it untenable to present a reasoned argument, it just exists so everyone can perform their Two Minutes Hate at any time.

Years ago I used to have fb on my phone. Now i have no social media except the Forums and Discord. Twitter delenda est.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Main Paineframe posted:

You're definitely the product when you use Wikipedia. Just like any social media platform, it functions by monetizing the content provided for free by random unpaid users, overseen by a small army of unpaid admins.

They monetize via donation-begging instead of ads, but they're still monetizing the work of random unpaid users.

Lol what? This is an incredibly stupid take.

Main Paineframe posted:

They're certainly takes, yes. They're not my takes, though! I didn't say either of those two things.

Arhh the old heavy imply something then backtrack when called on it trick

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

PT6A posted:

The easiest way to spot someone that's hopelessly addicted and I mean last-stage-meth-addict-hopelessly-addicted to twitter are those accounts that complain about losing followers (or gaining them with Musk taking over). They're always just the worst shitbags and there's literally nothing you could do to harm them more than what they're doing to themselves with the bird app

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

A constant theme of this thread is that you shouldn't try fixing socialogical problems with technology alone. So why are we blaming the algorithms, the technology so much when Twitter and Facebook are involved ?

Maybe both woulnd't be so bad without trolls paid by to intentionally disrupt society. Maybe in a society without a free speach fetish people would have to face more consequences for their disruptive online behaviour ? Maybe the covid conspiracies would have been even worse if just spread by Fox News and talk radio, and not countered somewhat online.

I'm not really defending both, but I see no real gain if they vanish. Whatever replaces them won't be better if the rest of society is still hosed up.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if you pay $20/mo, you get a blue checkmark in your future court filings against elon

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

so how does this apply to SA? especially those that havent paid SA in years ?

is that one buttcoin lord that got a perma, a SA whale?

Lowtax built a cult of personality that persists in diminished form today with people continuing to feed money into the forum, often just to own their posting enemies on a site where they routinely take issue with the moderation.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

PT6A posted:

Twitter provided a lot of positive change as well as negative change. The engagement (lol, not always action) that can be generated from a direct speaking platform is very powerful, for better or worse. But, yes, we should be staging ourselves for the next iteration of this tool.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MonikaTSarn posted:

A constant theme of this thread is that you shouldn't try fixing socialogical problems with technology alone. So why are we blaming the algorithms, the technology so much when Twitter and Facebook are involved ?

Maybe both woulnd't be so bad without trolls paid by to intentionally disrupt society. Maybe in a society without a free speach fetish people would have to face more consequences for their disruptive online behaviour ? Maybe the covid conspiracies would have been even worse if just spread by Fox News and talk radio, and not countered somewhat online.

I'm not really defending both, but I see no real gain if they vanish. Whatever replaces them won't be better if the rest of society is still hosed up.

Yeah I don't think people are blaming the underlying technology. Facebook could have an algorithm managed by an independent governing body, designed to show people interesting content that they care about, with maybe a sprinkling of educational/informational material. Instead they have an algorithm that's fine-tuned, based on unconsented psychological research, to push people's buttons for clicks.

And that's not even getting into the misuse of personal information, or the ways they enable discriminatory advertising and electioneering practices.

None of that is intrinsic to the technology itself. It's all about how it's being used, and the lack of regulation of its misuse.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Lowtax built a cult of personality that persists in diminished form today with people continuing to feed money into the forum, often just to own their posting enemies on a site where they routinely take issue with the moderation.

The funny thing is, for as much as people like to complain about SA forum moderation it's a million percent better than the moderation you get from Twitter, Facebook, et all. Like, if people scream loud enough here you can actually talk to a moderator or admin and get some actual human justification for probes / bans. Even if they aren't always good reasons, you can get some sort of reasoning.

Twitter and Facebook both will arbitrarily give you probation for posts you made 6 years ago, and then reban you because someone shared it. If you try to dispute, you get a generic copy paste email with no identifiable justification or even what rule you specifically broke.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

MonikaTSarn posted:

Just because something can't fix something doesn't mean it can't break it. "A constant theme of this thread is that I can't fix my car by ramming it into a Jersey barrier alone. So why are we blaming the Jersey Barrier, the concete so much when my accident is involved?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1587107158046408704

lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MonikaTSarn posted:

Technology can't fix social problems, but it can certainly make them worse.

For example, technology can't stop suburban whites from calling the police every time they see someone with dark skin near their home. But home-surveillance poo poo, like doorbell cams that send you an alert and photo anytime the camera detects movement, ensure that these self-proclaimed neighborhood watchers never miss a pedestrian even when they're busy doing something else. On top of that, cloud camera services will let cops look at camera footage in a given location, even without a warrant or the camera owner's knowledge, allowing easy surveillance.

These are problems that existed before, but technological developments have made the problem behavior much easier.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

He's going to own every failure that's inevitably coming and he's going to be so mad about it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Levitate posted:

He's going to own every failure that's inevitably coming and he's going to be so mad about it

"I have decided to forgo legal council and instead will represent myself in court."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Surely THIS will be the event that causes people to finally stop using Twitter!!!!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/pandemona/status/1587161329617367040

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
how many people even know that the creator of vine made a new app that no one ended up using

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

kliras posted:

how many people even know that the creator of vine made a new app that no one ended up using

The creator of vine managed to build and sell the same app twice? Good for him! Tom from Myspace only managed that once.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Just create an app to make even shorter videos and call it Nibble

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

W-why would you want to look at vine code in the first place? Twitter already has a wholeass infrastructure for uploading, hosting, and playing video files, so if you did want to make a pseudo-vine or tiktok you'd likely be better off building on that instead. :psyduck:

The thing that Musk doesn't seem to understand is that the actual writing of the code is usually the smallest part of adding a new feature. The trickier and generally more important parts are properly defining what exactly you want/need to do (and whether that's of any use), understanding how it would interact with other parts of your system, and how to present it to your users. Plus of course things that aren't directly related to the functionality like visual design, marketing, translations, and possibly legal matters. Once all that is settled, getting a dev team or three to sit down and then write the code that makes things happen is a relatively straightforward matter.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 31, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
you mean you don't want to spin up some alpha version of twitter bootstrap and use whichever patchwork we relied on before html5 got out of beta?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/31/elon-musk-has-pulled-more-than-50-tesla-engineers-into-twitter.html

12 hour, 7 days a week shifts with impossible deadlines on ridiculous tasks while the CEO openly talks about how he wants to fire most of the employees without severance on both internal company documents and public record. This is an employment lawyer's wet dream. Every single employment lawyer in San Francisco should be standing in front of an Twitter office right now waiting for thousands of easy slam dunk court cases brewing inside those offices.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Isn't the bigger problem with "new vine" that the market for short videos is already saturated by Tiktok and the clone features from FB/IG/YT?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

YouTube Shorts are an abomination and I'm surprised they've survived as long as they have in Google's cannibalistic app/feature ecosystem.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
one of the best thing about vine was how much it centred non-white people, and i somehow don't think elon and his friends will grasp that, much less embrace it

https://www.wired.com/story/excerpt-white-negroes-lauren-michele-jackson/
https://www.vox.com/2016/10/28/13439450/vine-shutdown-loss-to-black-culture
https://www.buzzfeed.com/sylviaobell/mmmohmygodyes

another thing that blew my mind is that the tiktok recommendations i get in the browser when i'm not logged in incognito are about as bad as youtube shorts. it's not great that youtube shorts suck too even when i'm logged in, but vine just always felt great to log into, even before tiktok (and musical.ly) was something that existed

kliras fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

eXXon posted:

YouTube Shorts are an abomination and I'm surprised they've survived as long as they have in Google's cannibalistic app/feature ecosystem.

Probably just rides on the YouTube code/infra so does it take a lot extra to keep the lights on.