Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I remain confused they did all that stuff with Seven and the Borg in season 1... and then in season 2 decided to dump the Borg Queen plotline on Jurati instead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They needed to write Alison Pill out of the show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

They needed to write Alison Pill out of the show.

They jettisoned Rios too. I assume both of those were to make room for the old cast in Season 3.

naem
May 29, 2011

Picard is obviously based on the movies which I wasn’t into

why you change what made your thing successful I don’t know

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jean luc picard's greatest enemy was never q or the borg. it was always patrick stewart.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

naem posted:

I mean Nemesis is way more coherent than either season of Picard so far

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
It's like Trek was a human face and then archaeologists found a skull and using reconstruction techniques to work out what it might have looked like.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

jean luc picard's greatest enemy was never q or the borg. it was always patrick stewart.

his greatest enemy is his uniform that just. wont. stay. down!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

naem posted:

Because everyone who makes the decisions didn't want to watch the show, so they went the easier path and watched the movies. Then hired people who were then instructed to watch the movies. To capitalize on the goodwill and fanbase built on the show.

naem
May 29, 2011

GrImDaRk

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

That's at least a step up from the director being willfully ignorant of the franchise.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They're not watching anything they're just looking up the last most recent entries on Wikipedia and going from that

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Picard writers are probably using Wookiepedia.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Watched some voyager whilst exhausted after a work trip and one was where they were suddenly low on power and went to a demon class planet and it ended with them just making copies of themselves for this new sentient mud species and being like okay bye.

:wtf:

E: thinking about it, the premise is actually pretty neat but the outcome that is the episode is just bizarre.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Watched some voyager whilst exhausted after a work trip and one was where they were suddenly low on power and went to a demon class planet and it ended with them just making copies of themselves for this new sentient mud species and being like okay bye.

E: thinking about it, the premise is actually pretty neat but the outcome that is the episode is just bizarre.

There’s an even better follow up to that episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

This episode eventually just ignores the fact that the whole reason they went to the planet was to find deuterium, which they never actually do. But it's fine, because Voyager.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There's a ton of small issues with that episode too but just the general tone of the ending was so off the wall it left me stumped.

Living Witness was nice but I felt like it needed another half hour?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Flipswitch posted:

when this is combined with the follow up episode that ties into this one its legit great

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Which ep is that?

I also half watched Unforgettable which was painfully dull.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Which ep is that?

I also half watched Unforgettable which was painfully dull.
Course: Oblivion, which I loving hate

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Frinkahedron posted:

when this is combined with the follow up episode that ties into this one its legit great

I love that episode. Really shows Janeway's clone's commitment to being Janeway.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

The General posted:

I love that episode. Really shows Janeway's clone's commitment to being Janeway.

God, she loving sucks in that episode. clone Janeway is the worst Janeway.

At the beginning of the covid pandemic I felt like the trailer for that episode completely captured my thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjKqHRCs6M8

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Best Janeway is the Janeway that scares the hell out of a psycho AI clown before killing him.

He realized that he had been swimming in the kiddie pool all this time.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

FlamingLiberal posted:

Course: Oblivion, which I loving hate

Yeah it’s loving Garbo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know that Omega Directive episode and how at the end Seven gets to see perfection for a split second before it gets blown up?

Let me have that with Course Oblivion.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Course: Oblivion would have been a good series finale with just a few re-writes.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Blistex posted:

Best Janeway is the Janeway that scares the hell out of a psycho AI clown before killing him.

gently caress yeah, Voyager rules

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TengenNewsEditor posted:

gently caress yeah, Voyager rules

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blistex posted:

She made a clone of her own brain, just so a version of herself could enjoy the satisfaction of watching a clown die alone and afraid up close and personal.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Did I just kill a gay clown? - Janeway, probably

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Remember when the Klingons went back to being enemies with the Federation and then SUED the Federation and the Federation took their bullshit seriously.

The Federation are twerps basically.

naem
May 29, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

Remember when the Klingons went back to being enemies with the Federation and then SUED the Federation and the Federation took their bullshit seriously.

Space Democrats©™️

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Prurient Squid posted:

I do not remember this. Refresher?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think they're talking about the episode where Worf is put on trial for destroying a Klingon transport ship, but it later turns out that it was a plot to discredit the Federation by the Klingons. It was 'Rules of Engagement'.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
ISN'T
IT
PO
SSI
BLE

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

hang on, was that sisko? The same sisko who pulled a hiroshima with his metagenic weapons or something?

Wow, DS9 is a land of contrasts!

edit:

Basically everything is fine just as long as you commit your warcrimes on opposite day.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The trick is to do war crimes on people that can’t fight back :patriot:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Rules of Engagement, Season 4 Episode 18.
For the Uniform, Season 5 Episode 13.

You could interpret this as the Federation just learning to say "gently caress it" as time drags on.

edit:

Tacking into the Wind, Season 7, Episode 22.

Worf assasinates a foreign leader in this one. No biggie.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The Sisko vs Eddington Warcrimes Competition episode is extra weird to try to discuss the morality of, cause the episode starts with Eddington dropping an anti-cardassian poison bomb on a cardassian world. And Sisko ends it by dropping an anti-human poison bomb on a maquis world, forcing Eddington to surrender himself. And it's explicitly stated in the wrap-up that no one died or even got hurt by either incident, and the resolution is that the maquis and the cardassians just... swap planets??

At least Sisko and Eddington competing to see who could chew the scenery harder was pretty fantastic.