Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Antonymous posted:

this is from 1931 and it's a map of all the colors 'normal' human color vision can see. It's not a very good map but it is the first complete map made after it was realized that all colors can be thought of as 3 different 'primaries' that we can mix, but that those primaries themselves must not be visible colors themselves. I can talk about how this was figured out and it's actually pretty simple. Instead of RGB, the three primaries are called XYZ and Y is roughly chosen to be how bright a color looks (yellow hues look brighter than equivalent blue hues for example). The image files that are sent to a movie theater to play on the projector are written as XYZ colors.

The XYZ space is projected on the 2D graph I've linked as just X and Y because on that plane we can see all the hues and their saturations. The very edge of the horseshoe shape is where all the purest colors are, the ones that would be made of single photons, like the rainbow you see when white light is put through a prism. The inner space of the horseshoe is all the colors you get from mixing those photons, with the center 'D65' being considered white - the definition of a balanced mix of colors. D65 means "Daylight - 6500 Kelvin"

You can see that the horseshoe is contained inside a triangle, the space outside the horseshoe represents colors that can't be created in our biology. For example, there's no way to stimulate our 'medium' cone, which can be thought of as our brain's green channel, without stimulating some of our 'long' cone - the red channel. That 'limitation' gives the organic curve of the horseshoe. But then there's a very unnatural looking line where magenta is, that's because magenta means stimulating long and short (red and blue) without stimulating medium (green). And because there is no magenta photon, that always means a mix of pure red and blue photons, which is always a linear mix because red photons don't stimulate the short cones and vice versa, hence a linear line.

There is a thing you can do which is to stare at a very saturated blue to 'paralyze' your blue sensitivity and then look at a very saturated orange, and it will break outside the horseshoe and be a shade of orange you've never seen before.

This is the standard color gamut all displays have been made to reproduce, you can see its a very small slice of this chart, but distances and areas of the chart itself don't have much meaning, for example the area with blue at the bottom is very small but we are very sensitive to small changes in blue hues, and the area of green is big, but we're not sensitive to green hues - they all kinda look the same.

There's been a lot of updates to this 1931 model but it's also grandfathered in as the default way to communicate color as it appears in the mind's eye.

This rules keep going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
okay so greek people could probably see water but the romans definitely couldnt read silently, right? so im way smarter than almost every roman because i can read without screaming. i could go back in time and they would be in awe of my silent reading abilities. that's not dumb and fake, right?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mastershakeman posted:

This rules keep going

:hmmyes:

What does something like this mean

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
is this a pigment of my imagination

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Jazerus posted:

the ancient greeks were colorblind, non-sentient, and held the form of a spider

no further questions

Guess not much has changed since then

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

All these color posts and no one says the obvious theory, homer was bluegreen colour blind!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cerepol posted:

All these color posts and no one says the obvious theory, homer was bluegreen colour blind!

In many ways, he was.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerepol posted:

Woah. Do we have any writing from colourblind authors describing colours? I’d never thought of that.

Also, Homer was blind, blind, for anyone who hadn’t known.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
homer drove a car, dude. he wasnt blind

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

homer drove a car, dude. he wasnt blind

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I have Protanopia but i can figure out that red and green exist and are different things

funny story, i didn't know i was color blind till i was in middle school. i was playing a color matching game on one of those old iMacs (mid 90s) and i kept trying to match a yellow and green block thinking they were the same color and was a getting a buzz that it was wrong and the kid sitting next to me kept saying "what are you stupid? those are 2 separate colors??!?" and then i had to do some self-reflection to eventually realize i was color blind

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
The most consistent slip up for people I've known with protanopia/deuteranopia are thinking two similar but slightly off shades of a given color are the same. I used to always check figured/graphics I made with those filters and use colorblind friendly palettes and it was kind of surprising just how few instances there are where it actually looks like two different colors are the same.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

I have Protanopia but i can figure out that red and green exist and are different things

funny story, i didn't know i was color blind till i was in middle school. i was playing a color matching game on one of those old iMacs (mid 90s) and i kept trying to match a yellow and green block thinking they were the same color and was a getting a buzz that it was wrong and the kid sitting next to me kept saying "what are you stupid? those are 2 separate colors??!?" and then i had to do some self-reflection to eventually realize i was color blind

Serious question: do you feel like you're, idk, missing out on anything? I've always kinda imagined it's one of those things where your brain compensates by getting really good at processing other data to make up for it and your "visual experience" would be just as rich as everyone else's, just in different ways, if that makes any sense.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
idk what kind of colorblindness i have but i can't tell like shades of olive green and tan apart which leads to some interesting shirt and pants color combinations sometimes. like i can tell they're different colors, but they all look like shades of tan/brown

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Antonymous posted:

What is this color?

its #121c25 op hth but clearly blue? idgi

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Plank Walker posted:

idk what kind of colorblindness i have but i can't tell like shades of olive green and tan apart which leads to some interesting shirt and pants color combinations sometimes. like i can tell they're different colors, but they all look like shades of tan/brown

It works!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Color is a lie that was invented by Big TV to sell more units and did not exist before 1930

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Antonymous posted:

What is this color?

What is this color?

My pantone plugin subscription must have expired because both of those just look black to me.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Turn on your monitor.

Also that's just indigo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Antonymous posted:

RGBW lights can't do saturated yellows or cyans as well as a gel on a leko. it's okay for small adjustments but if you want lime-teal colored light they suck. Tho that's why the older color stage lights have like 7 or 8 colors in them.

no one gives a poo poo if the teal is not a 'nice' teal though I guess

edit: and god help you if you mix LED brands and do some strong teals or cyans. it can be a real mess

absolutely agreed!!! please give a lecture to every LD in the city!!!!!!!

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

Plank Walker posted:

I had a colorblind friend describe something as "the same color green as peanut butter", which really threw me off.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lazy Robot posted:

I had a colorblind friend describe something as "the same color green as peanut butter", which really threw me off.

Maybe they just live in the Dr Seuss universe most of the time

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What exactly did Homer mean when he described Aphrodite as having a "wine-dark" butthole??

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Serious question: do you feel like you're, idk, missing out on anything? I've always kinda imagined it's one of those things where your brain compensates by getting really good at processing other data to make up for it and your "visual experience" would be just as rich as everyone else's, just in different ways, if that makes any sense.

its annoying as gently caress and i don't have any other heightened senses to make up for it like Daredevil, unless the "super sarcasm" that I've spent decades honing by shitposting on Something Awful dot com counts

I had to make a map in ArcGIS and my boss had to sit over my shoulder the entire time and dictate hex codes for me for a legend because she knows when i try to assign colors to things myself I'll gently caress it up

I have an aquarium at home and when i do a water test i have to ask my 7 year old to point to the color that matches the chart

when my kids were learning their colors in pre-K i had to defer to mommy because I'd constantly mix up green/yellow and blue/purple which are my biggest problem colors

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

This rules keep going

It was well known in the 20th century that colors could be reproduced by mixing primaries, I think western civilization figured that out in the times of ancient greece but I don't know the exact history. And I think it was also known that although all hues can be made from three colors, all hues aren't made of three colors by the time of Newton.

By pure coincidence, two scientists in the 1920s, Wright and Guild, designed identical color matching experiments. You would look at a neutral grey ball that was lit on one side with a pure color, a single photon wavelength, and on the other side you had knobs that could control pure red, blue, and green lights, and the goal was to match the colors.

The scientists, independently and unaware of each other's experiment, tested on several people and found their subject's answers to be surprisingly consistent. But there was a problem with some colors, like cyan, where no combination of red, blue, and green could reproduce the vividness of the pure, reference cyan. So the scientists allowed the subject to get as close as possible, and then they added another set of red, blue, and green lights to the reference side. And then by adding some red to the reference, pure cyan, the subjects were able to match the color. So the scientists marked this down as 'negative red'. The left graph below is the 53 participants from both studies' results superimposed. At the time (1920s/1930s) this color mixing was computed using matrix math by hand, and negative numbers greatly complicated the math, so a stretching and rotation of the colors was done to make all colors have positive values, but the result was that the space, called XYZ, had a lot of empty areas where you had coordinates that don't respond to human color perception.

When the scientists learned of eachothers work and compared results they were astonished how well their data matched. In 1931 a commission was formed to standardize a model of human color vision. Here's the results, you can see the triangle of RGB with 1 in each dimension representing 100% on the dial, and then all the negative values needed to accurately represent colors. The 'x' axis here is red (not to be confused with the X coordinate in xyz. It's easy to do rotations and stretches of a space with matrices so they picked some points and rotated it.

Since there are many ways to rotate and stretch this thing, another decision was made to try to make the Y axis relate to perceived brightness as much as possible. A dozen 555nm green photons (where our eye is most sensitive in color vision) will look as bright as thousands of 650nm red photons. They basically nailed it, except that perceived brightness has some non linearities. As an aside, This is why it's hard to cover a lot of the XYZ horseshoe with a RGB display, you can pick a deep red primary for your red pixels but you will have to drive it with exponentially more power to make it as bright as the green primary, which means more energy and more heat.

The XYZ chart has a nice linearity in that if you pick any two points, then any points that lie on the line between the points you chose, are colors you can make using the points you chose as primaries. So if you pick to points, build lights that emit that color, and shine them on a white surface, as you dial the lights up and down in brightness you will see all the colors on that line. So any two points whose line goes through D65 can make white light.

Later, another test was done where subjects were shown a color, and allowed to turn the reference knobs until the two colors became distinguishable. The areas of indistinguishability were drawn as ellipses on the XYZ chart and you can see the distortion (the ellipses drawn are scaled up 10x in size so you can see them and their distortion easier). Area in the chart does not line up well with the amount of distinguishable colors found there, the ellipses below represent areas of color that 'look the same' as the point at their center.

So a different stretch and rotation was made in 1974, with coordinates called LUV instead of XYZ, that compensates for that, here they are also drawn 10x in size. This gives a better sense of the space of colors we experience. The 'plankian locus' is the color of a blackbody as it heats up to infinite temperature, from red hot to white hot, because these are a great reference for white and you can see the curve goes through D65 - 6500 kelvin. That's what color temperature means.

A guy named Pointer went out and measured every pigment he could find, because although we can see all these colors when we shine light through a prism or make a laser, that doesn't mean that we can paint them into a painting and see them just by shining white light onto the paint. So what you see below inside the squiggly line are all the colors that exist as colors of objects on earth, and you can see it's not even half the area of what we can see looking at emissive sources, like lasers, neon signs etc that can emit pure color (rather than reflect it like a pigment)

Finally, the white triangles below contain all the colors that can be reproduced in the different display standards that are used right now. HD TV standard 'Rec 709' which is the same color primaries as the computer monitor standard 'sRGB' were the standard from 1990 until about 2020 and they were followed pretty well. Apple makes its screens display a wider color gamut, the same as digital cinema projectors, which is called 'Digital Cinema Initiative - P3' or just P3. P3 covers reds much better and greens a little better than sRGB. TV's have moved over to a new standard called Rec2020, designed to try to cover all of pointer's colors (pointer's gamut) which is much larger than either of the other two, but as far as I know, so far no TV has exactly hit the standard and so it does some kind of interpolation.

sRGB/Rec709

DCI-P3

Rec2020

Now that HDR is possible and consumer products are trying their hand at it there will be more new standards and it's all very chaotic. HDR also just means brighter colors, not more colors like some advertising claims.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Antonymous posted:

What is this color?

C:82% M:70% Y:57% K:66%, duh

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

indigi posted:

this dude sucks and is really ugly, like almost as ugly as me

stop trying to see who will say your twitter selfies are cute and get some self esteem

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

also content that is mastered in a smaller color space or in standard dynamic range doesn't contain the information for those bigger spaces, it's clipped, so even if your TV can display Rec2020 you also need to find content that is mastered in Rec2020 to really see what those additional subtleties in saturation actually mean.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Antonymous posted:

Now that HDR is possible and consumer products are trying their hand at it there will be more new standards and it's all very chaotic. HDR also just means brighter colors, not more colors like some advertising claims.

Which HDR, because there's like 5 completely different consumer technologies that all call themselves "HDR" and have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

its annoying as gently caress and i don't have any other heightened senses to make up for it like Daredevil, unless the "super sarcasm" that I've spent decades honing by shitposting on Something Awful dot com counts

I had to make a map in ArcGIS and my boss had to sit over my shoulder the entire time and dictate hex codes for me for a legend because she knows when i try to assign colors to things myself I'll gently caress it up

I have an aquarium at home and when i do a water test i have to ask my 7 year old to point to the color that matches the chart

when my kids were learning their colors in pre-K i had to defer to mommy because I'd constantly mix up green/yellow and blue/purple which are my biggest problem colors

Oh that sucks, sorry you didn't get any cool powers :sigh:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Did people in the 18th century discover colours through a technical process, like experimenting with a new ingredient to see what happened, or did they have a colour theory and set about trying to create colours? I can’t make sense of this order of operations, for example

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i dont see color

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
tag yourself, i'm saddening

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That's fine. It sees you

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

The suppressors on both the M5 and C7A3 are going to be such a pain in the rear end and that loving proprietary fluid for cleaning them is driving me crazy, it doesn't even have a NSN yet.

Suppressors overheat and get dirty easily and the baffles get trashed. It's going to be so expensive, it's really hard to explain that because the public is enamoured with silencers from movies. Further complicating that, they require an armourer to clean the gas ports and everything else too because of the hand guard design.

It's like the whole thing was designed to overheat, get dirty, and get trashed easily, the opposite of what you want in a service rifle.

the armourers aren't allowed to clean them right? all the maintenance has to be done by contractors now i thought (new to this rifles contract)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

christmas boots posted:

That's fine. It sees you

good it better see im not racist

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Which HDR, because there's like 5 completely different consumer technologies that all call themselves "HDR" and have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

The worst thing is that in principle these wider color gamuts and higher dynamic range TV's should be pretty subtle. Most real world images do fit decently inside the standard from the 90s, so if you were to flick back and forth between HDR Wide Color Gamut and regular most of the image should remain identical.

but that doesn't sell people on these technologies so instead the average brightness changes, the contrast changes, the saturation changes, but in order to do that you have to not represent the image with good fidelity. Same thing with upscaling to 4k or adding in extra frames with frame interpolation.

It's nice the TV can do 120fps 4k HDR Rec2020 because those are the physical limits (or sometimes beyond the limits) of human vision, and that means any content can be seen as it was intended. But we mostly watch compressed garbage quality stuff streamed over the internet and then expanded out into those specs so 90% of what you see is made up whole cloth. And without an HDR standard its also made up wrong half the time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Frosted Flake posted:

Did people in the 18th century discover colours through a technical process, like experimenting with a new ingredient to see what happened, or did they have a colour theory and set about trying to create colours? I can’t make sense of this order of operations, for example

by the end it's mostly garbeau, like my posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Armadillo Tank posted:

the armourers aren't allowed to clean them right? all the maintenance has to be done by contractors now i thought (new to this rifles contract)

They’re allowed to clean (parts of) them but they aren’t allowed to do full workshop level repairs or services and I believe some of the fouled parts need to be sent to the contractor.