Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Spergatory posted:

BAYO 3 PSA: If you aren't already doing it, go back and get the Umbran Tears in each chapter to open up the remnants. There are whole-rear end accessories and weapons hiding in those loving things.

Ah ok. I have gotten 2 in most levels. Only on Chapter 5 as i've been busy. There's a lot of meat on this bone as usual. Loving every new weapon and the summons aren't horrible at all as i've been led to believe. I like em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah summons are cooler than I thought they'd be. Makes me wonder how Scalebound would have turned out since Kamiya said a lot of its ideas went into Bayo 3

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bayo 3 loving owned. Currently 8th in the world at expert mode

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Fighting the big boys became way more fun once I stopped playing like Bayonetta from the previous entries and more like V from DMC5, hanging back, mostly relying on demons and only going in myself when they're stunned or I need to build magic. Also seconding the recommendation to collect all the tears and do the Phenomenal Remnants, they're mostly fun and have great rewards.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

viola loving rules

i can't believe they snuck a whole rear end dmc character in bayonetta lmao

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

wonder of it's more than a coincidence that stage 3 has you pass through two ni-oh gates and then just gives you the freaking diskarmor from Rygar

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So Umbran Clock Tower has got to be the best demon, right? Press button for Witch Time seems pretty OP, and it doesn't even disable Wink stuff.

EDIT: It also fully invalidates the vast majority of Umbran Tears of Blood. Ding ding, kitty, the bell tolls for thee, and it says it's time for you to sit still so I can loving catch you!

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 31, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spergatory posted:

So Umbran Clock Tower has got to be the best demon, right? Press button for Witch Time seems pretty OP, and it doesn't even disable Wink stuff.

EDIT: It also fully invalidates the vast majority of Umbran Tears of Blood. Ding ding, kitty, the bell tolls for thee, and it says it's time for you to sit still so I can loving catch you!

On demand Witch Time is nice but it leaves a lot of damage on the table to get it and the demon is otherwise immobile and not super great. Swapping to its alt form is better for raw damage I think.

Immobility seems to be a bigger negative than it seems in Witch Trials where it makes it way easier to enrage or kill.

It is still darn good but I prefer the higher damave output of some other demons. In particular the frog demon is strong to start and if you get her song off the damage is absolutely comical

I should test when I can if you can summon it amd then start singing by swapping demons during a time swap. That would be hilariously op

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 31, 2022

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So what's the deal with the "improvisation" bonus? I'm not sure what triggers it, but it seems something like attacking with both bayonetta and a demon at the same time, but idk for sure.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Saw credits in Bayo 3. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but that's mostly because A. the final battle literally establishes that we are now in a universe where causality is broken and death is largely meaningless, and B. seeing as Luka got dragged to hell with Bayonetta, and Rodin references talking to him in the ending, even if they do all stay dead and in hell, they're probably fine.

Seriously, seeing Bayos 1 and 2 pop up in the final battle and Singularity going "what the gently caress, I literally killed you" only for the Bayos to answer "Did you though?" was loving hilarious.

Not sure about Viola as the new lead though. There's a little too much Luka in her, not nearly enough Bayonetta for her to be... you know... Bayonetta. Easy solution; in the next game, OG Bayo is Viola's equivalent to Madama Butterfly. She became a demon and is how living her best afterlife in hell, occasionally lending a literal hand (or foot) to her alternate dimension daughter. Jeanne can help too.

That's not to say the story was particularly good or anything, just not as bad as all the spoilers led me to expect. It was mostly fun and frivolous, but it fails in an absolutely hilarious way whenever it tries to sell me on Luka and Bayo. Like... I feel like you could write a thesis on the phenomenon of bad writers who accidentally create good stories that are about the total opposite of what they think. The story Platinum thought it was telling me was about the destined true love of Bayonetta and Luka, but the story they actually told was of how Bayonetta and Jeanne are destined soul mates who will find each other in pretty much every lifetime (I assume Jeanne is somewhere just offscreen in France and China). Seriously, we never see another Bayo with another Luka. Ever! It's actually comical how badly they failed to sell that relationship in the slightest.

Kind of weird that after you beat the game, they just straight up sell you the Climax Bangle. I guess it's not really as powerful in this game given that magic regenerates automatically, but it's still an odd choice.

Are there unlocks tied to higher difficulties or ranks this time? I already know about the Platinum Ticket. Is there anything else?

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Fedule posted:

I don't know what the deal is with the idea that you need to complete Bayo 3 to change costumes but as well as the places mentioned here I also saw it in a Polygon "Things to know before you start" article. It's weird, it's not like with the Modern Guide Scene being what it is there aren't mistakes made all the time, but, this is an incredibly obviously wrong statement, and multiple outlets got the exact same thing wrong the exact same way. Maybe one originated it and everyone else just plagiarised it?

so the bayonetta equivalent of a paper town. huh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Saw credits in Bayo 3. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but that's mostly because A. the final battle literally establishes that we are now in a universe where causality is broken and death is largely meaningless, and B. seeing as Luka got dragged to hell with Bayonetta, and Rodin references talking to him in the ending, even if they do all stay dead and in hell, they're probably fine.

Seriously, seeing Bayos 1 and 2 pop up in the final battle and Singularity going "what the gently caress, I literally killed you" only for the Bayos to answer "Did you though?" was loving hilarious.

Not sure about Viola as the new lead though. There's a little too much Luka in her, not nearly enough Bayonetta for her to be... you know... Bayonetta. Easy solution; in the next game, OG Bayo is Viola's equivalent to Madama Butterfly. She became a demon and is how living her best afterlife in hell, occasionally lending a literal hand (or foot) to her alternate dimension daughter. Jeanne can help too.

That's not to say the story was particularly good or anything, just not as bad as all the spoilers led me to expect. It was mostly fun and frivolous, but it fails in an absolutely hilarious way whenever it tries to sell me on Luka and Bayo. Like... I feel like you could write a thesis on the phenomenon of bad writers who accidentally create good stories that are about the total opposite of what they think. The story Platinum thought it was telling me was about the destined true love of Bayonetta and Luka, but the story they actually told was of how Bayonetta and Jeanne are destined soul mates who will find each other in pretty much every lifetime (I assume Jeanne is somewhere just offscreen in France and China). Seriously, we never see another Bayo with another Luka. Ever! It's actually comical how badly they failed to sell that relationship in the slightest.

Kind of weird that after you beat the game, they just straight up sell you the Climax Bangle. I guess it's not really as powerful in this game given that magic regenerates automatically, but it's still an odd choice.

Are there unlocks tied to higher difficulties or ranks this time? I already know about the Platinum Ticket. Is there anything else?

Some of the lore stuff establishes that Luka is basically dead in every universe which is why Luka himself is getting hosed up because he's accidentally absorbed all the Luka Energy from the multiverse, including an evil version of himself.

Shame he wasn't dead in the main universe too.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Some of the lore stuff establishes that Luka is basically dead in every universe which is why Luka himself is getting hosed up because he's accidentally absorbed all the Luka Energy from the multiverse, including an evil version of himself.

Shame he wasn't dead in the main universe too.

There's some pretty wild stuff hidden in those lore entries, like the fact that Singularity/Sigurd isn't even really a human. He's an artificial life form that was created when a factory meant to manufacture artificial human body parts hit a glitch and accidentally manufactured an entire artificial human. He took control of the technology that created him and used it to make his army and wipe out humanity in his dimension before turning his eye to the multiverse. He's closer to an AI gone rogue than a mad scientist. I wasn't big on the idea of the entire Bayoverse being brought down by the machinations of Some Guy™, but he's not really a guy at all. He's a supercomputer in a vaguely biological shell. And nowhere in the actual script is this even vaguely hinted at.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The parry accessory definitely helps a lot on Viola. I don't know if it can reliably give witch time or if you can dodge offset through it, but it seems to let you bust out of combos and I find it more reliable than her dodge.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is there a bloody palace or equivalent?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

RBX posted:

Is there a bloody palace or equivalent?

Yes, you unlock Witch Trials after beating the game. I'm not sure if there's a minimum difficulty requirement, I did my first playthrough on expert.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Really liking that the alfheims have more variety of challenges now, even if some of them are basically puzzles. I do kind of miss angel arms though, it’s always satisfying to steal an enemies weapons even if they weren’t super useful. Rip to the halberd pole dance

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Spergatory posted:

There's some pretty wild stuff hidden in those lore entries, like the fact that Singularity/Sigurd isn't even really a human. He's an artificial life form that was created when a factory meant to manufacture artificial human body parts hit a glitch and accidentally manufactured an entire artificial human. He took control of the technology that created him and used it to make his army and wipe out humanity in his dimension before turning his eye to the multiverse. He's closer to an AI gone rogue than a mad scientist. I wasn't big on the idea of the entire Bayoverse being brought down by the machinations of Some Guy™, but he's not really a guy at all. He's a supercomputer in a vaguely biological shell. And nowhere in the actual script is this even vaguely hinted at.

Lol wait I thought he was trying to wipe all the universes except for the Alphaverse? But this is the universe that our Bayonetta is from, right? So the Alphaverse and the one where Singularity was created are two different ones? Why is he so fixated on this particular universe?

I'm kinda glad they left most of this out of the actual cutscenes because it sounds like confusing nonsense. Overall, while I'm not sure about some parts of the story I do appreciate that most of the cutscenes are just fully animated action scenes now, that the still image scenes from previous entries are mostly gone and that there's very few exposition dumps in the game at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

Lol wait I thought he was trying to wipe all the universes except for the Alphaverse? But this is the universe that our Bayonetta is from, right? So the Alphaverse and the one where Singularity was created are two different ones? Why is he so fixated on this particular universe?

I'm kinda glad they left most of this out of the actual cutscenes because it sounds like confusing nonsense. Overall, while I'm not sure about some parts of the story I do appreciate that most of the cutscenes are just fully animated action scenes now, that the still image scenes from previous entries are mostly gone and that there's very few exposition dumps in the game at all.

our Bayonetta's universe was the 'prime' universe which seems to be the only one that would be left post multiverse fuckery. The Alphaverse is just his home universe where he was theoretically chilling.

The Bayonetta of that universe is the weird shadow Bayonetta that Viola fights at the end. The Luka is the weird shadow monster possessing regular Luka.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Now, for some Genuine Combat Gripes™. These might seem like nitpicks, but this is Platinum. They built their studio's reputation on the back of combat. I expect them to know better.

Given the Masquerade system, I can understand why they got rid of the upper body / lower body equip system. I don't necessarily like it, but I understand it. What I do not understand, is having only two weapon slots. In a game with this many weapons, being able to only equip two at a time is borderline unforgivable. And the funny thing is, the game already has the solution; a weapon wheel. Just move that thing out of the pause screen so that it comes up when you hold L. Done. They wouldn't even need to let you access all of them at once; four weapon slots, one for each cardinal direction, would work just fine. Hell, even without a weapon wheel, I feel like four equip slots would be a good number to cycle through without it getting too cluttered. DMC 5 didn't have a wheel, and it let Dante equip like seven loving melee weapons if you felt like it!

The camera when fighting very large enemies up close is absolutely disastrous. Like "what the gently caress were you thinking" levels of stupid. It does not pull out far enough for you to see the enemy's full body, and what's worse, if they get too close to the camera, their bodies become semi-transparent, but not quite transparent enough, making it even more difficult to actually see what the gently caress they are doing. I get that you're supposed to use Demon Slave to fight them at a distance, but that is a limited resource. Without lollipops or infinite magic, you're going to have to get close to them eventually, and when you do, you're gonna have a bad time. Either pull the camera out farther, or make smaller loving enemies!

I do not like that you have one dedicated accessory slot for Demon Slave accessories, and one for yourself. That takes so much of the fun and creativity out of the accessory system. Why can't I have Demon Slaves that are more powerful and autonomous? Why can't I equip the parry accessory and the one that extends Witch Time? There is genuinely no reason that most of these effects can't overlap. It's so arbitrary. And, again, the game has the solution; a third accessory slot. In the game, the third slot is reserved for Immortal Marionette. Just make Immortal Marionette a normal accessory, and make the third slot a wild card slot. That way, you can equip up to two of each "type" of accessory, but not three.

Viola. I just... do not like her gameplay. Parry is so much worse than dodge as a means to trigger Witch Time. It stops your movement, it stops your combo, it has startup and end lag, and perhaps worst of all, it only works if the move actually hits you. There's nothing more annoying than stopping a combo to try and parry a move that just whiffs you anyway, leaving you standing there like an idiot, wondering why you are being forced to play this character. And, say it with me now, the game already has the solution. Give her the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa as a built in effect. Problem solved! You could even implement a Rising-esque mechanic where you press the stick and the attack button towards an enemy instead of just the stick. That would solve at least one of these problems, as the game would only trigger the block if an attack was going to hit you. It would remove the guesswork, as a lot of these attacks are really hard to read where they're going to land, especially from larger enemies.

That's all I can think of for now. The game, for the most part, does feel really good to play, but these issues are not insignificant, and they get harder to ignore as the game goes on. I dunno how big Platinum is on patches, but this game could really, really use some adjustments.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can't think of any Platinum game that got patches that really changed any mechanics at all. I'm not done with my first playthrough of Bayo 3 but if it's like the other two (at least IME) the first playthrough is going to be the most fun for me anyway. I always seem to start really noticing the shortcomings and weird design decisions they put in every single one of their games after the first time. DMC 5 isn't perfect but when I was replaying character action games this year I found the DMC games way more fun for the higher difficulties than the Bayo games, mostly due to the camera and DMC for the most part not having gigantic annoying enemies. Even something like Sin Devil Trigger felt great as an addition without feeling like I was missing out if I didn't use it in a level unlike not using Umbran Climax making it feel impossible to get higher ratings on certain verses.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 1, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't get what you mean about the accessory thing. I have Bayonetta equipped with the moons and earring of time right now. I've also equipped multiple Demon Slave accessories. I like giving Viola the 'faster Chesire MP Regan and taking off his chain

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 1, 2022

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't get what you mean about the accessory thing. I have Bayonetta equipped with the moons and earring of time right now. I've also equipped multiple Demon Slave accessories. I like giving Viola the 'faster Chesire MP Regan and taking off his chain

I see what was happening now; the game keeps accessories for you and accessories for your demons on different "pages" once you reach a certain number. I thought one accessory slot was dedicated to demons entirely because I already had one equipped, and when I went to change it, it only showed me other demon accessories. You have to press ZR to change "pages."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spergatory posted:

I see what was happening now; the game keeps accessories for you and accessories for your demons on different "pages" once you reach a certain number. I thought one accessory slot was dedicated to demons entirely because I already had one equipped, and when I went to change it, it only showed me other demon accessories. You have to press ZR to change "pages."

Oooh! Okay that makes more sense.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Astral Chain had a sort of a weapon wheel so the concept isn't alien to them at least

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm willing to bet that the limited weapon hotswapping is a RAM limitation. Frankly I'm astounded we got as many simultaneously equipped weapons and demons as we did on the Switch.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Spergatory posted:

Not Genuine Combat Gripes

My friend, those don't seem like just nitpicks, they seem like the ignorant/naive armchair dev from a non dev. Are you a software or game developer? How much do you know about how the game sausage gets made?

Lets take a look at the first thing you mentioned and one context (the hardware) and think of why it may not have been implemented.

Context: Switch console. Processing budgets are relatively small and this is a big constraint on pretty much every design decision.

Proposed Feature: Player has access to all collected weapons at will in realtime.

Weapon Equip Attributes: Effects visual, effects audio, animations, Masquerade summon, summon effects V/A, summon animations, Masquerade form (butterfly float, spider swing/climb) effects V/A, form animations, other/etc...

The resource 'budget' for a weapon could be high since it's related to more then just a weapon. Even the suggestion as of 'just' 4 weapon sets at will is still 4 times as much of that processing budget. To make room for this what will be compromise, what do you take out or limit or change?

Some other contexts to think about. With just these I can easily think of reasons the 'issues' you mentioned shipped from a studio that should 'know better'.

Design Pillars/Goals: Does the idea align with the shared understanding of the team. Will the thing support those pillars? Is it just a QoL improvement?

Playtesting: An idea may have been tried and rejected. Tons of iterations until you find something good or acceptable.

So to me the problems you mentioned read as more of a personal preference/wishlist. Mine starts with the game not being designed solely for the Switch.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Well it sucks

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ReVerve posted:

My friend, those don't seem like just nitpicks, they seem like the ignorant/naive armchair dev from a non dev. Are you a software or game developer? How much do you know about how the game sausage gets made?

Lets take a look at the first thing you mentioned and one context (the hardware) and think of why it may not have been implemented.

Context: Switch console. Processing budgets are relatively small and this is a big constraint on pretty much every design decision.

Proposed Feature: Player has access to all collected weapons at will in realtime.

Weapon Equip Attributes: Effects visual, effects audio, animations, Masquerade summon, summon effects V/A, summon animations, Masquerade form (butterfly float, spider swing/climb) effects V/A, form animations, other/etc...

The resource 'budget' for a weapon could be high since it's related to more then just a weapon. Even the suggestion as of 'just' 4 weapon sets at will is still 4 times as much of that processing budget. To make room for this what will be compromise, what do you take out or limit or change?

Some other contexts to think about. With just these I can easily think of reasons the 'issues' you mentioned shipped from a studio that should 'know better'.

Design Pillars/Goals: Does the idea align with the shared understanding of the team. Will the thing support those pillars? Is it just a QoL improvement?

Playtesting: An idea may have been tried and rejected. Tons of iterations until you find something good or acceptable.

So to me the problems you mentioned read as more of a personal preference/wishlist. Mine starts with the game not being designed solely for the Switch.

Was thinking about picking up Bayo 3 but if it makes you post like this I dunno

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
big enemies don't fit on the camera? are you a game dev? No? then shut the gently caress up, bitch!!!!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
"ohhhh poor me I can't see the enemies and it makes them difficult to fight properly" well do you even KNOW how much RAM the switch has? idiot

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Biscuit Hider

Crowetron posted:

Was thinking about picking up Bayo 3 but if it makes you post like this I dunno

It's great, you should play it.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

ReVerve posted:

Profound GBS energy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There are Elevator Action levels, its cool

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Biscuit Hider

CharlestonJew posted:

big enemies don't fit on the camera? are you a game dev? No? then shut the gently caress up, bitch!!!!

Seems like a rather uncharitable reading of my post. Where did I ask anyone to shut up?

CharlestonJew: Can you guess why simply pulling back the camera might not be an option to address that issue?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Please don't criticize the thing I like because of my low self esteem I take it as an attack on my character and my sense of self worth and the only way I know how to deal with those feelings is posting angerly online.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Platinum's approach to superbosses is... interesting. Rodin isn't a traditional "learn the tells, react accordingly" boss. Most of his attacks are explicitly unreactable. Some of them have hitboxes before he even starts moving. It isn't really all that helpful to "learn his attacks," but rather that he is going to attack. His moves are absurdly fast, but most of them are roughly the same kind of absurdly fast. Once you understand that he can attack you from basically anywhere, the fight is basically about keeping rhythm, and dodging when you know he is going to attack. His slower moves that you can react to actually seem to be designed to throw off this rhythm. Like I said, it's interesting.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rank 1 baby

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I love the idea of Bayo 3's leaderboards because they offer me the only thing I have ever wanted from any online leaderboard that they have all, to a one, completely failed to provide; literally any loving context about my performance, not just some number (frequently without even an idea of how many people total are on the board). Bayo 3 actually shows you where the clusters are and where a small improvement might be a breakthrough or just some noise. It's a view that should become the standard any time there's a leaderboard (in addition to just showing the ordered standings, like usual).

...so then why

in the literal gently caress

did they, having created this system, make it explicitly opt-in, per chapter, and thus completely negate the whole concept by loading it down with the mother of all selection bias? How is anyone supposed to take their reported rank seriously when the vast majority of players don't even register on the board? I breezed through one chapter and the system told me I was the #8 player for time. There is approximately a 0% chance that I have a top ten time in any part of Bayonetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wouldn’t upload if I got a stone rating that’s for sure