Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How thick are these papers? I know they get stuffed with machine generated nonsense under the fold but it seems like a lot of them would be like three pages long and obviously fake newspapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They are not made to fool experts it's like computer pop up ads

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sure but even 80 year old boomers have held a real newspaper before

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Like with most propaganda and advertising, the real objective is to get their idea into a person's head whether they engage with it further or not. The headlines shown in that article are all things that are immediately incendiary all to the purpose of declaring, "Dems, especially this Dem, are all monsters." Get someone reflexively mad and to carry the mad with them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sure but even 80 year old boomers have held a real newspaper before
Yeah but if you agree with/get enraged by the front page in the desired way then it'll have done its job.

(The same is true of the 'real' tabloids but they at least have sports and humor and horoscopes sections, so these are about like if you took all that out.)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I wonder if I have the 9/11 is an inside job fake dollars my boss gave me one day

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I saw this over the weekend. I think they forgot to put the "They Live" overt message on top and just left the subliminal message.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They technically do hate you they just hate you less than the republicans.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

They technically do hate you they just hate you less than the republicans.

Depends. How much money you have makes a big difference

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Depends. How much money you have makes a big difference

Pretty much this.

While there is some overlap (the affluent white liberal lady who still rolls her car windows up and locks the door when she drives through "certain" parts of town), Republicans primarily hate you for things that are innately a part of you - Your race or gender or sexual orientation -
Liberals are more keen to hate you for your class factors - The common refrain of "Heh, look at the poor moron who lives in the trailer park, what an inbred piece of garbage."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I saw this over the weekend. I think they forgot to put the "They Live" overt message on top and just left the subliminal message.

I'd hate to see what Citizens for Insanity would post

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Citizens for Sanity have been airing insanely racist ads during world series games, very discordant to go from enjoying baseball to "Mexicans are going to murder you" commercials.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Calling your batshit crazy group Citizens for Sanity has strong "The Reasonablists" vibes from Parks and Rec

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Racist Uncle posted:

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be very liberal, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favor of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch conservative, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?" She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That's a crazy idea, how would that be fair! I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the conservative side of the fence."

If you ever wondered what side of the fence you sit on, this is a great test!

If a conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation. A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him..

If a conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels. Liberals demand that those they don't like be shut down.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church. A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and Jesus silenced.

If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.. A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

If a conservative reads this, he'll post it. A liberal will delete it because he's "offended."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If a conservative isn't gay, he leaves LGBTQ people alone and - ah ha ha can't even finish that.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's a classic.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Taerkar posted:

That's a classic.

Yeah, pretty sure that one has been around since Reagan.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I guess I'm a loony statist liberal since I don't like it when children starve or are machine gunned to death or sent to child abuse camps for being gay.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nebrilos posted:

I guess I'm a loony statist liberal since I don't like it when children starve or are machine gunned to death or sent to child abuse camps for being gay.

Commie

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nebrilos posted:

That's the Woke Agenda at work!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.. A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

The email writer has no idea how health insurance works.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Twelve by Pies posted:

The email writer has no idea how health insurance works.

Sure they do. If you want health insurance you walk into the nearest office, talk to the manager, give him a firm handshake, and get a high paying job offer immediately, that includes insurance.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Medullah posted:

Sure they do. If you want health insurance you walk into the nearest office, talk to the manager, give him a firm handshake, and get a high paying job offer immediately, that includes insurance.

Don't forget looking them in the eye to show what a go-getter you are.

And if that doesn't work, you could just shop your health problems around and find the best coverage, because what cancer patient doesn't enjoy having to go through the process of finding someone who will cover them, right?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I genuinely have to wonder how that person thinks health insurance works though, like where do they think the money the insurance company uses to pay for things comes from?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

I genuinely have to wonder how that person thinks health insurance works though, like where do they think the money the insurance company uses to pay for things comes from?

Grit, hard work, and determination.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

A liberal wants an abortion they want to give you the choice. A conservative wants to outlaw all abortions and punish anyone who would hel you get one.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

A liberal wants an abortion they want to give you the choice. A conservative wants to outlaw all abortions and punish anyone who would hel you get one.

If a liberal doesn't want their kids to take sex education at school, they opt them out. A conservative tries to ban sex education entirely.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I laughed at the “A conservative just changes channel if they don’t like a talk show host”. We’re talking about the conservatives who send in death threats if anyone speaks bad about Donald Trump, right?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I laughed at the “A conservative just changes channel if they don’t like a talk show host”. We’re talking about the conservatives who send in death threats if anyone speaks bad about Donald Trump, right?

Well, no true conservative...

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

A conservative wants to outlaw all abortions and punish anyone who would hel you get one.

Except if their daughter, wife, or mistress needs one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Or it's some movie or TV show that swapped genders or race with a Marvel character and may or may not have portrayed cops or America in a bad light. In which case, everything is SO WOKE and SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The big problem with the GPA/money comparison is that, for the most part, there's a fairly even playing field for grades. You can get advantages by hiring tutors or by cheating, but you're still capped at 4.0.

But if we got rid of the libraries and let students buy exclusive access to journals by spending GPA points, and then selling that access back to other students at a profit, we'd start to see a new phenomenon.

Audrey has a GPA of 59.2, even though she just parties all the time, because her father also went to the school and she inherited his GPA and one of the dorm rooms (that you can live at in exchange for a portion of your GPA).

Meanwhile our protagonist is proud of a GPA of 2.4, which she's earned by doing her own work, along with the work of several other students who were too busy partying.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Give ‘em my GPA cause it doesn’t fuckin matter outside of academia.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I have a computer science degree from a good school and I graduated with something like a 2.01 gpa. I do well for myself and live comfortably. After graduation gpa literally does not matter at all lol

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Give ‘em my GPA cause it doesn’t fuckin matter outside of academia.

Not even academia gives much of a poo poo so long as yo're above the minimum.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess that's another part of it, even if this person did give 1 point of her GPA away to her friend, she'd still keep everything she learned, every professional connection, every friendship, etc.
I think I missed the assumed premise that GPA is the product you're buying access to by paying tuition.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's like that old joke, what do you call someone who graduated at the bottom of their medical class?

"Doctor."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The woman gives away a point of her GPA and is not functionally harmed by it, while greatly increasing the lives of those around her, in a beautiful metaphor for weath distribution. A boomer feel good story.

I mean poo poo I was that kid sitting in his department head's office having him explain "well the rules are that all the classes have to average out to 2.0, not they all have to be 2.0, so you still graduate" and guess what I'm peers with people who did a lot better than that from much better universities every day because university is bullshit.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 7, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's more trying to convert the strawman liberal through some gotcha:

"
:j: " People should share [thing I don't mind sharing] so nobody is going without! "

:smug: " Yes but what if it was in fact [thing I cherish and deserve] and people are stealing from you without putting in the effort themselves? "

:stonk: "Well I don't want people to steal [thing I cherish and deserve], that's not fair I worked hard for it and everyone else can too!

:smug: "Checkmate, liberal!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A more accurate story would be a rich dad talking to his newly radicalized 26 year old daughter and then going "Okay, well what if we take $4 a month out of your $10,000 allowance and give it to a charity that helps the homeless?" And her reacting ewww, no! And then both of them agreeing yeah, gently caress those people.