Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is it fun bad or boring bad

boring bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Inspector Hound posted:

When did Morbius get added to Netflix? Morbius is on Netflix.

It should go back to theaters

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It should go back to theaters

Morb3us

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wolfsheim posted:

i'm sure it was money but as an actual fan i'd like to think he saw the writing on the wall, dreadful adaptation

If that was the case why would he go back to Superman.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
just saw that there is a new Paranormal Activity on Paramount+ and i am so here for this stupid bullshit :munch:

glad i just bought weed

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Morbius is boring bad.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

precision posted:

just saw that there is a new Paranormal Activity on Paramount+ and i am so here for this stupid bullshit :munch:

glad i just bought weed

VHS 99 just came out too. I haven't read any reviews yet though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I think I've mentioned this before, but the new Interview with a Vampire on AMC is really good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

precision posted:

glad i just bought weed

If you’re referring to Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin, I’m sorry to say it’s a Cloverfield-style in-name-only film with effectively no relevance to the rest of the series.

The real Paranormal Activity sequel evidently comes out next year.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wouldn't shave for Superman but would drop trow for streaming Witcher

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

BonoMan posted:

I'm still mad, TO THIS DAY, that they cut out the Mouth of Sauron part. How do you remove something so amazingly done?

My thoughts exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To_RJ_mPNqM&t=1s

Also, cutting out the Gandalf—Saruman confrontation and especially the Gandalf—Witch King confrontation was some bullshit too

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man I haven't seen it since vhs days but has Exorcist always had such muddy audio?
It's distracting how often the Foley work is a bit off in this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Upsidads posted:

Man I haven't seen it since vhs days but has Exorcist always had such muddy audio?
It's distracting how often the Foley work is a bit off in this

one of the main things i remember about that movie is how it took me like 4 viewings to be able to even decipher "YOUR MOTHER SUCKS COCKS IN HELL!" to me it always sounded like [generic growling]

so yeah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MLSM posted:

My thoughts exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To_RJ_mPNqM&t=1s

Also, cutting out the Gandalf—Saruman confrontation and especially the Gandalf—Witch King confrontation was some bullshit too

holy poo poo, i never seen this before, why would they cut the literal best scenes in the movie

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

precision posted:

holy poo poo, i never seen this before, why would they cut the literal best scenes in the movie

People with this sentiment caused it:

precision posted:

if your movie is over 3 hours long, it's two movies

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Just watched Barbarian and it was pretty good! Appreciate movies that emphasize the true monsters of society oops it's White dudes again

also cops are useless just like irl

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 31, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

:haibrow:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

An acceptable sacrifice for the cause imo

Next let's get Marvel movies down to 17 minutes

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Just watched Barbarian and it was pretty good! Appreciate movies that emphasize the true monsters of society oops it's White dudes again

one of the cops were black tho!

but for real, I was fearing they would end the movie with the same cops blasting her away after someone reported the gun shot. thankfully they didn't go that bleak

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

somewhere in the middle, occasionally something incredibly funny happens but it's mostly just a C- superhero film. really just watch the bit where Matt Smith dances to the Have Sex song

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

:ssh:Making judicious choices in adaptation can allow both of these concepts to exist:ssh:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
LOTR was perfectly suited for a overly-long film adaptation because the books themselves are probably the king of pointless bloat.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The Modern Leper posted:

:ssh:Making judicious choices in adaptation can allow both of these concepts to exist:ssh:

No they can't. Somebody's favorite scene is going to be left on the floor because "movies can't be <some arbitrary length of time that I, a nobody, have decided is appropriate>"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

No they can't. Somebody's favorite scene is going to be left on the floor because "movies can't be <some arbitrary length of time that I, a nobody, have decided is appropriate>"

Yeah but some people's favorite scenes are terrible

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

precision posted:

Yeah but some people's favorite scenes are terrible

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
https://youtu.be/yzH4CDmZ3h8

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
All Quiet on the Western Front was beautifully shot, generally well acted, and of course, completely soul crushing. I don't remember the book super well but it seems accurate to it.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

precision posted:

Yep they really did cut these before release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djmahoN32A8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGdp5_12zW0

And the extended editions of all three LOTR films are better than the theatrical cuts hth ya’ll

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Unfortunately that concensus lead to 2 aborted hobbit movies

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Glottis posted:

All Quiet on the Western Front was beautifully shot, generally well acted, and of course, completely soul crushing. I don't remember the book super well but it seems accurate to it.

there are a couple of things that are different significantly, one
paul's death is made into a much bigger deal. in the book he dies somewhat randomly on a quiet day, and that's sort of the point, showing the meaninglessness of the deaths in the way.
two, the whole thing with the commander ordering a charge with minutes till 11AM isnt in the book
and of course the book doesnt include the bits about the peace negotiations

but overall i think it captured its spirit very well and i thought it was great

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Thanks for the Do Revenge recommendation...I spent the whole movie thinking that something else was going on hah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
watched Barbarian. definitely watch it without knowing anything about it. very cool movie.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I had heard good things but All Quiet on the Western Front is probably one of my favorite movies of the year, wish I saw it in theaters when I had the chance. The actors playing Paul and Kat were both super sympathetic and did a great job. The cinematography was top notch, and I really liked the discordant music though I feel like some people would hate it. As an anti-war movie it's incredibly effective, one of the scenes that has stuck with me is when they find the young soldiers gassed to death and Kat says something like "any more of this and Germany will be empty".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

watched Barbarian. definitely watch it without knowing anything about it. very cool movie.

I need to know what it is about Barbarian that made people want to go in blind more than most movies. I did it, my friends did it, and I've seen many comments like yours. My theory is the title clashes with the modern setting, and that gave it an air of mystery.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
My college lit professor would have told us that the real barbarian in Barbarian was society itself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Handmaids Tale is hilarious and awful now but I love how they show the Americans as incompetent morons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LifeLynx posted:

I need to know what it is about Barbarian that made people want to go in blind more than most movies. I did it, my friends did it, and I've seen many comments like yours. My theory is the title clashes with the modern setting, and that gave it an air of mystery.

it's the structure. it's good to not know how many actors are in it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
See How They Run is on hbo and it owns so hard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LifeLynx posted:

The trailer was pretty much just the first 30 minutes of the film, and didn’t tell you much of anything. So when people came out of it going “what the gently caress that movie was bonkers!” It made it more interesting to see where it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, something odd has just happened. I have a deactivated Paramount+ subscription and I was trying to see if I could use a promo code to get another free month, but when I signed in it acted like I had an active account. The thing is, under "Paramount+ Plan" on the account page, the space is blank. My email doesn't have any mention of renewed subscription, and my bank account hasn't been hit. Does anyone know what's up?