Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
He seems pretty fashy. Unless he's just doing a gimmick.

https://twitter.com/ugroyp/status/1584907191252811778

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

vbad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah those NPCs are so predictable, thankfully we have "Race Science" to produce scintillating new ideas like White = Best

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah those NPCs are so predictable, thankfully we have "Race Science" to produce scintillating new ideas like White = Best

That's a bizarre take. Race experimentation has shown white to get regularly blown the gently caress out by black in 100, 200, 400m and marathon events.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

He seems pretty fashy. Unless he's just doing a gimmick.

https://twitter.com/ugroyp/status/1584907191252811778

I think its a gimmick.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I think its a gimmick.

After thinking about it, I’d say he’s essentially doing a gimmick, but doing so in order to normalize actual fascist ideas. “Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies,” etc.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah, the functional distinction between "Ironic Fascist" and "Fascist" in effectively nonexistent.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Yeah they're definitely doing a bit.
https://twitter.com/ugroyp/status/1574430091739889665

The problem is Poe's Law, and especially when you get into topics like this, whether it's ironic or not becomes irrelevant
https://twitter.com/ugroyp/status/1584905302725517317

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

So the currency of the secret world in cultist simulator (spintria, -ae, secret tokens used by secret world types) is actually the “femboi”?

E: yep, it’s definitely intentional, per google images:

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 27, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lawman 0 posted:

:pray: Hoping Lives of Famous Whores is in there.

I was thinking about Borges' The Garden of Forking Paths the other day, where there's a bit about a Chinese scholar setting out to write a a novel and build a labyrinth - spoiler: the book turns out to be a labyrinth in time rather than space.

I started wondering if while writing Lives of the Caesars, Suetonius jokingly told someone, perhaps Hadrian, he was writing Lives of Famous Whores. Of course, once Hadrian realised...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Silver2195 posted:

After thinking about it, I’d say he’s essentially doing a gimmick, but doing so in order to normalize actual fascist ideas. “Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies,” etc.
I don't think this guy is trying to spread fascism by play-acting a fascist race-scientist who is a lonesome, unfuckable loser. Fascists are almost uniformly too stupid and too lazy to read old books. They normalize fascism by reading it into Star Wars and Marvel and the same pop-culture dreck that everyone's watching and that they'd be watching anyway. Like, this is about as much "ironic unironic fascism" as "Der Fuhrer's Face."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There is huge overlap between ancient history casual enthusiasts, especially Greek and Roman stuff, and fascists.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FMguru posted:

Yeah, the functional distinction between "Ironic Fascist" and "Fascist" in effectively nonexistent.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be"

Caedite eos. Novit enim Marx qui sunt eius.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

I was thinking about Borges' The Garden of Forking Paths the other day, where there's a bit about a Chinese scholar setting out to write a a novel and build a labyrinth - spoiler: the book turns out to be a labyrinth in time rather than space.

I started wondering if while writing Lives of the Caesars, Suetonius jokingly told someone, perhaps Hadrian, he was writing Lives of Famous Whores. Of course, once Hadrian realised...

That's the one where he acts like a choose your own adventure book is a mindblowing concept right?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

That's the one where he acts like a choose your own adventure book is a mindblowing concept right?

Way to miss the point.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Neat tour of the Great Pyramid: https://giza.mused.org/en/guided/266/inside-the-great-pyramid

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There is huge overlap between ancient history casual enthusiasts, especially Greek and Roman stuff, and fascists.

Surely not, from people enlightened by the wisest and most civilised societies in human history :agesilaus:

E: no not them i dont want to play as loving pontus

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Being really into and admiring Eastern Roman Empire online is a huge red flag these days.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Warden posted:

Being really into and admiring Eastern Roman Empire online is a huge red flag these days.

Really?

Huh. For a very long time the Eastern Roman Empire was held to be an example of effete decadence, while "Real Men" were into Western Rome.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I think these days it's a "if only it were still around we wouldn't have to deal with all these Muslims" kinda thing.

It's sad 'cause the East is where it's at.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

But now all the right wingers have decided the Pope is a liberal and a heretic, so they've gone for Orthodoxy, Autocracy, and Nationality.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Probably also a Russian nationalism thing.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Cessna posted:

Really?

Huh. For a very long time the Eastern Roman Empire was held to be an example of effete decadence, while "Real Men" were into Western Rome.

The real alpha males know the middle republic is where it's at :agesilaus:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Warden posted:

Paradox fans are frequently obsessed with restoring the ERE and are also frequently terrible, checks out.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Cessna posted:

Really?

Yeah, unfortunately. It is "bastion of (white) Western Christianity against the (brown) Muslims coming from the (Middle-)East"- kinda thing for a wayyyy too many people who do not actually know poo poo about history.

Plus all the other stuff people pointed out.

That's not to say that being into Eastern Rome history automatically means one is chud, of course, but expressing loud opinions about the topic online while having certain types of profile pictures is a potential red flag.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Probably also a Russian nationalism thing.

It’s this one of the big Russian nationalists is big on pushing dialogue between right wing groups internationally.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Warden posted:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Warden posted:

yeah it’s usually barely a step removed from straight up “death to Islam” poo poo, byzaboo to hate pipeline is real

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You could say that Byzantines leave the door open to other influences.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waifu Radia posted:

yeah it’s usually barely a step removed from straight up “death to Islam” poo poo, byzaboo to hate pipeline is real

So I guess they don't view the Ottomans as the successor state then

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

New York City is the Fifth Rome.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Going to get really into the Gallic Empire since it hasn't been claimed by fascists.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I love every blank-aboo neologism. Wehraboo, Leeaboo, etc. This is a new one on me.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grevling posted:

Going to get really into the Gallic Empire since it hasn't been claimed by fascists.

Hm, think you might be in trouble here.

Really just any x that slots into the format of "x state was moral and just and did nothing wrong" will get the pro-fash treatment, since they 1) worship powerful states and 2) lack any interest in the dirty complexities of history. The antidote to people flag-humping for the ERE isn't flag-humping for somebody else, its having any respect for the history of the ERE.

e:

lol

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Grevling posted:

why not hawai'i

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

You could say that Byzantines leave the door open to other influences.

I don’t get it.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I don’t get it.

Allegedly that's how Constantinople eventually fell, a single door left open.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I don’t get it.

Constantinople was captured in 1453 because the defenders accidentally left a gate open and the Turks walked right in.

That wasn't the only reason it fell (the Turks had already breached another section of walls, for example) but it certainly didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Freudian posted:

Allegedly that's how Constantinople eventually fell, a single door left open.

1453 Was An Inside Job