Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Bugblatter posted:

You realize that as soon as you activate a site of grace you can just fast travel from the map?

Ah sure, but where's the fun in that? Seems appropriate to find my way back organically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finding your way back organically also means that by the time you get back to Limgrave you'll be able to kill just about anything you find there no sweat

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Perfect Element posted:

Ah sure, but where's the fun in that? Seems appropriate to find my way back organically.

It’s nice to have a new Elden Ring player in this thread who gets it and isn’t just complaining :3:

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Is drifting as big of a problem on the DualShock 5 controllers compared to the Joycons?

Not that I've heard of, Joycons are just the only other controller I've ever experienced it with.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Bugblatter posted:

The Selia Crystal tunnels were a great mean prank. I banged my head against it so hard until I realized I could easily run down to a site of grace while ignoring everything instead of trying to fight my way up

I also chose to go up and had a very hard time

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Haha, fair enough. It won't be possible for every trap, but it is for this one, especially if you just run. Caelid is normally an area people tackle muuuuuch later in the game though.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So I went into an electronics store that was closing, and they did 80% of on anything. Found an Elden Ring PS5 Launch Edition and paid 14€ instead of 70.

I did play soem Dark Souls, some Demon Souls, but always bounced of. Not be aus eof "hard" but mostly because of the storytelling. The way they tell their stories just doesn't work for me.

Is it worth trying ER anyway? And if so is there a beginners guide how stats affect things etc?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

ER is the easiest soulsbourne out there once you get in the groove, the beginning is rather tedious for leveling up but it'll be smooth sailing once you get to enemies that drop a reasonable amount of souls.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I'd look up how to find summoning bell ASAP. Just having something to distract bosses is a huge help.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hopper posted:

So I went into an electronics store that was closing, and they did 80% of on anything. Found an Elden Ring PS5 Launch Edition and paid 14€ instead of 70.

I did play soem Dark Souls, some Demon Souls, but always bounced of. Not be aus eof "hard" but mostly because of the storytelling. The way they tell their stories just doesn't work for me.

Is it worth trying ER anyway? And if so is there a beginners guide how stats affect things etc?

it's a magnificent game op. it'll prolly get you into the other games

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Hopper posted:

The storytelling is the same in ER as any other DS game so that will probably still be an issue.

A souls game with a good story may be one that recently came out. Asterigos: Curse of the Stars has a much stronger focus on story/characters. It's a budget game and it shows, but it's still punching above it's weight class and could be what you're looking for if that won't bother you.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hopper posted:

There's a button you can press to see what things on a menu mean (I think it might be the touchpad, don't quote me on that). Start with whatever looks neat, you're not locked into anything but picking a class to start gets you some good equipment.

At the beginning of the game someone will tell you 'hey follow this golden light to go where you're supposed to', if you do this thinking this is the only way to go you'll likely have a rough time. That golden light is showing where an important place is, but it is not a place you must go.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Willo567 posted:

All right, this is my last question since I just bought a PS5, but right now I'm going through my PS4 games and doing the free PS5 upgrades. As I understand it, you need to keep the PS4 disc to play the PS5 version. My question is whether inserting the PS5 disc for a game I upgraded would allow me to access the game. I'm asking this because I would like to eventually buy the physical copies of the PS5 games by selling the PS4 discs.

I tested this and yes they are considered different. You would have to delete the upgraded PS4 install and reinstall from the PS5 disc. Everything else like saves/DLC should remain compatible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone tell if I pay £210 for a controller will the battery last more than 2 hours because I'll loving do it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morpheus posted:

That golden light is showing where an important place is, but it is not a place you must go.

The golden light is pointing to the place you must not go. If you see a golden line, turn and run the other way. Only when you have completely and utterly run out of options, follow the golden light

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone tell if I pay £210 for a controller will the battery last more than 2 hours because I'll loving do it

We probably won't know until it releases in January or whenever. Maybe a little bit before that if they give out review copies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The battery doesn’t last two hours on any controller so you should be fine

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Sources tell me Dual Sense Edge doesn't have a battery, that's why they give you the cord. So yeah, you may now spend in confidence.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
I've had my ps5 for two weeks now and it's mostly been used for ps3 games (demon souls, last of us remastered). There's not any kind of active last of us (1) thread anymore, right? That discussion must've been run into the ground by now but i just finished the drat game!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

You can talk about it here

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah feel free to talk about it here, we do all the time! I believe there’s a PS3 thread too but I’ve never been in it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a PS3 thread but all the posts are unreadable

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That post brought to you by the multiple PS3s I had that stopped reading discs, thank you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arist posted:

There's a PS3 thread but all the posts are unreadable

mods should gas it, and ban op, and all the posters in it, imho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

mods should gas it, and ban op, and all the posters in it, imho

trust me they've tried :D

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Arist posted:

That post brought to you by the multiple PS3s I had that stopped reading discs, thank you

My ps3 still reads and plays ps2 and ps3 discs!
..and yet i never played either of the two games i just finished on it.

I played The Last of Us late. Like, really late. I played a ton of games that borrowed from it, ripped it off, or paid tribute to it before I played it. Probably for the best, at least for Days Gone.

I really dug it. It still looks good to me, it was only occasionally maddening, and I have very few complaints about it. Ending felt grim, but in that world that seems pretty appropriate.

Weird question, but - do you ever see Fireflies doing anything but being assholes or idiots? The ending felt a little weird to me because by the time I got to the hospital, I kinda felt like there was no way I was going to trust these guys, and I can't imagine that's what the game was going for. There's probably all kinds of discourse on this somewhere but.. we're in 2022 now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Brian Worms posted:

My ps3 still reads and plays ps2 and ps3 discs!
..and yet i never played either of the two games i just finished on it.

I played The Last of Us late. Like, really late. I played a ton of games that borrowed from it, ripped it off, or paid tribute to it before I played it. Probably for the best, at least for Days Gone.

I really dug it. It still looks good to me, it was only occasionally maddening, and I have very few complaints about it. Ending felt grim, but in that world that seems pretty appropriate.

Weird question, but - do you ever see Fireflies doing anything but being assholes or idiots? The ending felt a little weird to me because by the time I got to the hospital, I kinda felt like there was no way I was going to trust these guys, and I can't imagine that's what the game was going for. There's probably all kinds of discourse on this somewhere but.. we're in 2022 now.

I agree that it's a little wonky but also, rip, you just started Discourse

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I think for the sake of the narrative and the dramatic tension of the games climax, they are meant to be taken seriously, but there's definitely dissonance there cos they seem like clowns most of the time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think for the sake of the narrative and the dramatic tension of the games climax, they are meant to be taken seriously, but there's definitely dissonance there cos they seem like clowns most of the time.

Yeah, like, personally the ending just completely falls apart on every level for me if I'm supposed to think these guys are just chumps who can't back up their talk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The ending sows doubt as to whether this specific plan would work but maybe they didn’t do a good job of separating it from the organization as a whole

Also aren’t the Fireflies responsible for the truck bomb in the tutorial sequence?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Is GoW Ragnarok out yet I ask myself each morning.

I've been replaying 2018 and still love it. I read some of the criticism here and found some of it valid in my replay: traversal feels like a slog even when you unlock fast travel, some areas feel way too small, the sameness of the enemies (drauger with no shield, one with shield, one that throws balls of poo poo, one that has two weapons, etc) and so on.

But it's still easily one of my favorite games. I actually tried to stay away from just spamming runic attacks and learn the tics of enemies, what weapon, and what moves work best for each while leaning away from using BOI. My appreciation grew as despite playing videogames since I could hold a controller - I'm really bad at them!

I'm wondering if someone is going to make a GoW: R thread - no I'm not volunteering though I could possibly try - before launch? Unless there already is one I'm blind to.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Yeah, it's weird to me because i feel like the game wants you to assume they're on the side of right, but..
The first time you see them they're blowing poo poo up around civilians.
They rip off your gun shipment and rope you into a doomed delivery mission if you want it back.
The university guys seem like absolute clowns, especially the guy who got himself bitten by infected monkeys.
You finally find their base, and your first exposure to the Fireflies that are going to set things right is them pointing guns in your face and then beating you with a rifle because you won't stop giving CPR to an unconscious girl.
You wake up and they're insanely hostile and seem to just want you to die.

How am I supposed to trust these guys with Ellie?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Brian Worms posted:

I think you were picking up what the game was putting down. TLOU wants you to be as skeptical of the Fireflies as Joel is. TLOU2 redeems them a bit, by way of introducing a little complexity to their decision at the end of TLOU. But it's a series where the writers take pains to make sure nobody can easily be considered the good guys, and the Fireflies are no exception.

Brian Worms posted:

Yeah, it's weird to me because i feel like the game wants you to assume they're on the side of right, but..
They want you to assume that at the outset, but then the rest of the game undermines that assumption.

Brian Worms posted:

How am I supposed to trust these guys with Ellie?
Yes! That's the whole point. During that last setpiece I was firmly in Joel's shoes. And then TLOU2 smacked me upside the head a few times

acksplode fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 31, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

idk i didn’t get the impression that the fireflies were supposed to be clowns. sure Joel sees them that way but Joel thinks that about anyone that tries to make him care more. They’re definitely supposed to be a bit messy and (like everything else in the setting) morally grey, and currently fighting a losing battle with how relentless the government has been about stomping them out.

but, like, what’re they gonna do, hand Ellie over to the feds? they would shoot her in the head before anyone could even get a word out about a possible cure.

acksplode posted:

Yes! That's the whole point. During that last setpiece I was firmly in Joel's shoes. And then TLOU2 smacked me upside the head a few times

the last setpiece is played like a horror movie scene, you are supposed to be horrified at what’s going on

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Augus posted:

the last setpiece is played like a horror movie scene, you are supposed to be horrified at what’s going on

Felt like I was saving an innocent child the only way I know how but w/e

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

acksplode posted:

Felt like I was saving an innocent child the only way I know how but w/e

Felt like I was Solid Snake in MGS Twin Snakes, doing the only thing I'm good at. Killing.

Just as I had the rest of the game.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Definitely, I spent an entire game getting way good at and being way desensitized to brutal violence, and then got plopped into a situation where I could put it to use saving my kinda sorta surrogate daughter. Don't have to ask me twice! And then TLOU2 smacked me upside the head a few times

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I actually got pretty good at getting through that area with zero* casualties. There's enough cover and distractions on the right side of the room that you can stealth all the way to the end, then throw a smoke bomb directly at the exit and have Joel run in and fumble his way through the activation prompt before the guards get their bearings back. It's a one-way door and the soldiers are not allowed to interfere with the next scene

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like RPing by playing that section totally different to how I played the rest of the game, not being careful at all and just moving through everyone like the maniac Joel is at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TLOU2’s story was mainly just saying the same thing the first game said but louder for the people in the back that didn’t get it so it wasn’t really doing anything for me but I guess some people needed it