Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Agean90 posted:

Lol apparently the reason France is so swole is that Pondicherry in India counts as a treaty port, so they get full access to British markets

That's really funny. I imagine a convoy manager screaming til he's red in the face about how much money he is losing sailing all the way to India when "I can SEE England, it's RIGHT THERE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

NewMars posted:

A major source of opium demand is pops: if they want opium, they need it for their luxury needs. It's not just military.
Is that one of those demands that only triggers if you have some? I had essentially zero demand for opium (or at least zero buy orders) until like 1920 as Japan when I got a colony for medicine. I even had a fair number of Han pops, which I assume had an obsession. I even had a few events about opium addiction. But there was no obvious downside to just never having any opium available for them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kalko posted:

Still learning the game with Japan and working out how to keep supply and demand balanced with a strictly domestic market, but I haven't been able to keep Hokkaido stable, at least in terms of employment. Just about everything I build there goes into "can't hire people" mode where it says they all want better paying jobs (and I can't subsidize anything). Is that because it's a relatively small population and they have better living standards or something? I worked out I need to build a port there because their market access always drops after the first few years, but yeah, I can't seem to keep them satisfied.

if you only have that one little slice of hokkaido then you've got like 40k spare peasants there which is not very many. thats like 3-4 buildings worth of labor. if you build more than that, the buildings start bidding against each other for workers, and all your workers keep rushing back and forth chasing higher wages in a wage spiral. this will also cause their demands for standard of living to increase, and consumption of goods to increase, because they have fat wallets

in theory more migrants would show up eventually to expand the labor pool and drive wages back down but, if you've still got closed migration policy, that won't happen. basically you have to keep a very close eye on your available labor pool (peasants) and not overemploy them. easy to forget as japan because a lot of your states have an inexhaustible pool of like 700k peasants

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Coupling goods together in a single building was a real bad move for stuff that often has a higher demand than it's "primary" good. Stuff like wine and hardwood I have constantly at over +50% price while softwood and wheat will be at -20% and wasted as I desperately try to over-produce to get the secondary goods. Stuff like hardwood or wine should be their own individual building or there should be production modes that more radically shift your outputs towards those secondary goods. What would also cut down greatly on production method micro is simply letting buildings like that automatically adjust their production based on prices. So if wine is drastically more expensive than wheat, buildings set to "auto" would automatically ramp up wine production.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Eiba posted:

Is that one of those demands that only triggers if you have some? I had essentially zero demand for opium (or at least zero buy orders) until like 1920 as Japan when I got a colony for medicine. I even had a fair number of Han pops, which I assume had an obsession. I even had a few events about opium addiction. But there was no obvious downside to just never having any opium available for them.

It's an intoxicants need thing. See, pop needs are grouped into categories that can be filled by a ranged of goods, but some of these goods are better at it than others and will be prioritized if you have access to them. For instance, electricity replaces coal replaces wood for heating and opium replaces tobacco replaces alcohol for intoxicants.

For luxury drinks, incidentally, tea, wine and coffee all are worth the same.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Baronjutter posted:

Coupling goods together in a single building was a real bad move for stuff that often has a higher demand than it's "primary" good. Stuff like wine and hardwood I have constantly at over +50% price while softwood and wheat will be at -20% and wasted as I desperately try to over-produce to get the secondary goods. Stuff like hardwood or wine should be their own individual building or there should be production modes that more radically shift your outputs towards those secondary goods. What would also cut down greatly on production method micro is simply letting buildings like that automatically adjust their production based on prices. So if wine is drastically more expensive than wheat, buildings set to "auto" would automatically ramp up wine production.

It would be interesting to have the production dynamically shift but it also would cause spikes in base materials supply so it's a mixed bag. For things like wood I just have lumber mills built in different areas, one set to prioritize each type of wood, and then build extra depending on what I need.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah there should be automated production method selection for everything. Maybe a tiny percentage of people care to micro-optimize but it's not fun or engaging. Being able to switch instantly at no cost also makes very little sense.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Wiz mentioned that they might add sliders to let you choose how much e.g. hardwood vs. softwood you generate, it would be a huge QoL improvement if this could be done on a nationwide level

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

NewMars posted:

It's an intoxicants need thing. See, pop needs are grouped into categories that can be filled by a ranged of goods, but some of these goods are better at it than others and will be prioritized if you have access to them. For instance, electricity replaces coal replaces wood for heating and opium replaces tobacco replaces alcohol for intoxicants.

Right. So not having any opium seems like it's not a problem. The intoxicant need can be fulfilled by other goods with no ill effect.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean by "replaces". I've got tobacco and liquor both going strong. It doesn't obviously seem any different than my coffee and tea situation.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

NewMars posted:

And the reason some times you'll see a huge need for opium (military use aside) when you play countries like Persia, Afghanistan, Egypt, etc. -- is that they're Muslim countries where liquor is taboo so they get their intoxicant needs purely from opium.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Wiz mentioned that they might add sliders to let you choose how much e.g. hardwood vs. softwood you generate, it would be a huge QoL improvement if this could be done on a nationwide level

Yeah, that would be a godsend for small countries especially. Also if you could gradually transition a big stack of mines to atmospheric engines, for example.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, being able to change production methods on only a few of a big stack of buildings would help a lot.

Especially given that the game incentivises you to build big stacks of buildings through the economy of scale bonus.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

piratepilates posted:

And the reason some times you'll see a huge need for opium (military use aside) when you play countries like Persia, Afghanistan, Egypt, etc. -- is that they're Muslim countries where liquor is taboo so they get their intoxicant needs purely from opium.

tobacco?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's still wild that it's almost impossible the get the French Second Empire going.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any chatter on when we're getting a hotfix for some of the most blatant problems?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's still wild that it's almost impossible the get the French Second Empire going.
I saw the AI make an imperial France. It had a different relative of Napoleon in charge though. How is the 2nd Empire supposed to happen in this game? Any particular kind of rebellion?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any chatter on when we're getting a hotfix for some of the most blatant problems?

This week sometime.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Gort posted:

Yeah, being able to change production methods on only a few of a big stack of buildings would help a lot.

Especially given that the game incentivises you to build big stacks of buildings through the economy of scale bonus.

I feel like this at least makes sense as a tradeoff though, if you want that economy of scale you have to forfeit some flexibility

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

They posted this on Thursday and said "sometime next week"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Eiba posted:

I saw the AI make an imperial France. It had a different relative of Napoleon in charge though. How is the 2nd Empire supposed to happen in this game? Any particular kind of rebellion?

Historically, the restored monarchy collapses, a second Republic emerges, Louis-Napoleon wins, and then after hsi first mandate decides he's actually an emperore and the Second Republic becomes the Second Empire.

Not sure how to do something approaching that in current Victoria 3. Hell, for most of my France tutorial run, the Orleanist and Bonapartists were ruling as a coalition!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Traxis posted:

They posted this on Thursday and said "sometime next week"

guess ill wait to do a nother nation then

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Historically, the restored monarchy collapses, a second Republic emerges, Louis-Napoleon wins, and then after hsi first mandate decides he's actually an emperore and the Second Republic becomes the Second Empire.

Not sure how to do something approaching that in current Victoria 3. Hell, for most of my France tutorial run, the Orleanist and Bonapartists were ruling as a coalition!

my guess is it’d be a movement to end the monarchy getting v radical and forcing one of the non-monarchic reforms, folllowed by the petit bourgeoisie becoming the most powerful IG and pushing for restoring it

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

anyone played with the fixed typos from the defines?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Political movements seem pretty anemic, pretty much a non-entity outside the ones that pop up in response when you're passing a law. Definitely seeing AI nations wracked by massive turmoil and radicalism with no political movements at all. It actually fucks with the AI a bit because conceding to movements is supposed to push it to reforms and act as a release valve for popular anger but the pops just don't make any demands. Hope they tune them to appear more.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
when do i get to stop paying the French for independence as Haiti?

I did some things not sure what but I'm only losing 700$ a week which is a real improvement for me but these 2k payments to the French are loving stuff up! I want the number to be green!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

verbal enema posted:

when do i get to stop paying the French for independence as Haiti?

I did some things not sure what but I'm only losing 700$ a week which is a real improvement for me but these 2k payments to the French are loving stuff up! I want the number to be green!

That's the best part! You don't

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

Wiz mentioned that they might add sliders

:dudsmile:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gaius Marius posted:

That's the best part! You don't

what the gently caress!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/05/20/world/americas/enslaved-haiti-debt-timeline.html

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

anyone played with the fixed typos from the defines?

Not yet, I want to finish my current campaign first but then I will.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

im not subscribing to a loving NYTimes lol

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

Political movements seem pretty anemic, pretty much a non-entity outside the ones that pop up in response when you're passing a law. Definitely seeing AI nations wracked by massive turmoil and radicalism with no political movements at all. It actually fucks with the AI a bit because conceding to movements is supposed to push it to reforms and act as a release valve for popular anger but the pops just don't make any demands. Hope they tune them to appear more.
Revolutions should definitely be more radical. Maybe there's one reform or law that's pushing them over the edge but based on every revolution and counter-revolution ever, once things come to blows they're going to take the opportunity to change everything to the way they like it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

verbal enema posted:

what the gently caress!!!

turns out we were all too busy noticing the english were assholes to see that the french were also huge assholes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tiler Kiwi posted:

turns out we were all too busy noticing the english were assholes to see that the french were also huge assholes

well i think there should be a way to tell them to gently caress off

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Federating Australia not changing your country's name to Australia has to be an oversight, surely.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

verbal enema posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a way, maybe under decisions?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

verbal enema posted:

you can but they don't like it very much. might be able to sucker some other europeans into fighting them for you though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Green Wing posted:

Federating Australia not changing your country's name to Australia has to be an oversight, surely.

Australia is a hoax. Educate yourself
https://www.hit.com.au/story/this-woman-is-convinced-that-australia-doesn-t-even-exist-she-has-evidence-19841

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

VideoWitch posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a way, maybe under decisions?

oh i forgot some countries might have unique decisions thanks!

im gonna suck up to america and GB and then tell France off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

verbal enema posted:

there is an option to stop the payments under Decisions, in exchange for giving France claims on you and dropping your relations with them by 50 points

it's actually pretty easy to avoid consequences for it if you plan a few years ahead and spend the intervening time improving your relations with them