Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I put up a trail cam in my backyard to see what is out there. I should title this video "Why I built Ft. Clux"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8K6tXhorys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Coop isn't done yet but we already had a fox sniffing around yesterday.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Zapdos appears to be evolving.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
my borbs are my babies and i'm a little worried about them - the past two nights they've been ramming themselves into the walls of their enclosure. this has only been happening at night, it seems to only happen in the dark and when i am here (i can hear what is going on with them when i'm not in the room) and i have no idea what's up. they are very picky eaters and i'm working on improving their diet - atm they get poultry food that's about 21% protein, the occasional mealworm for house (wilson won't eat them), ground sunflower seeds, grit, and a little oyster shell to make up for the lack of calcium in their pellets. i've tried adding acv to their water but they refuse to drink it when i do. i cleaned out their enclosure last monday, they get between 9 and 12 hours of light a day because of the winter. anybody got any experience with this?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

With the walls being glass they might be going after their reflections? They may also be getting confused by indoor night time activity or something. Who can say for sure? I would try draping something over the enclosure at night to see if keeping their enclosure completely dark helps them to settle.

They may also be ready for more space and enrichment.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

my cat is norris posted:

With the walls being glass they might be going after their reflections? They may also be getting confused by indoor night time activity or something. Who can say for sure? I would try draping something over the enclosure at night to see if keeping their enclosure completely dark helps them to settle.

They may also be ready for more space and enrichment.

i threw a shirt over their tank and they stopped doing it! i'm going to be moving them out to a larger pen for enrichment once they get a little bit older and once daytime fox season ends

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Agate hatched her chicks :dance: There are 3 but one is camera shy and wouldn’t come out for the video.

https://youtu.be/C_IPbYEQnlk

In respiratory illness news, it has completely spread through the flock. The naked necks that I thought were the plague bearers began sneezing later than others so now I’m not sure where the illness came from. The guineas have been sneezing but seem otherwise healthy, the ducks are completely healthy. Large Marge and her 6-week old chicks are completely healthy.

Now the numbers: In all I’ve killed 23 chickens due to the illness and I have 46 left counting the new chicks. About 10 chickens have a little bit of isolated sneezing right now. Initially I culled anyone who showed any signs to try to reduce the spread but now I’m only making a decision if a chicken is uncomfortably sick.

I had a really tough decision about whether to let Agate have her chicks or not. I decided to let her since it’s endemic to the flock now so if I want to keep chickens I’ll have to risk it eventually. Also I didn’t have the heart to cull her eggs after all the other culling I’ve had to do, it’s been a rough couple of weeks. :cry:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Joburg posted:

Agate hatched her chicks :dance: There are 3 but one is camera shy and wouldn’t come out for the video.

It is important to share the transcript YouTube generated for this video:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So sorry you're going through all that Joburg.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

In respiratory illness news, it has completely spread through the flock. The naked necks that I thought were the plague bearers began sneezing later than others so now I’m not sure where the illness came from. The guineas have been sneezing but seem otherwise healthy, the ducks are completely healthy. Large Marge and her 6-week old chicks are completely healthy.

Now the numbers: In all I’ve killed 23 chickens due to the illness and I have 46 left counting the new chicks. About 10 chickens have a little bit of isolated sneezing right now. Initially I culled anyone who showed any signs to try to reduce the spread but now I’m only making a decision if a chicken is uncomfortably sick.

I had a really tough decision about whether to let Agate have her chicks or not. I decided to let her since it’s endemic to the flock now so if I want to keep chickens I’ll have to risk it eventually. Also I didn’t have the heart to cull her eggs after all the other culling I’ve had to do, it’s been a rough couple of weeks. :cry:

cute babies! sorry for the flock troubles :sympathy:

we also got a respiratory illness last week, but i *think* we've pulled through with only mild symptoms, except for one little pullet. she is living inside with us for the time being. she had the worst symptoms, including a swollen eye. she wasn't eating or drinking over the weekend (i think because she couldn't see well). i had to syringe feed/water her, which neither of us liked. she started eating on her own yesterday, and drinking today. besides a swollen eye she seems to be improving so fingers crossed. she's near my desk making little chirps right now when i talk to her.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We have liftoff!

https://i.imgur.com/NDyBWTf.mp4

Side note: how do you force uploads to various social media to use the original video quality? I feel like everyone else's videos are in like 172435336k while mine always get compressed to look like I filmed them with a potato.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the eggs are pipped and my brooder has died :supaburn:

i'm frantically googling homesteading websites to learn how to keep the drat things alive without electrical assistance until i can find a better solution. apparently it's possible, so please pray for us

e: after much research, i have decided to keep the six chicks in my bra for a month

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 6, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Goon luck to you!

They only need to be in your bra part time, depending on the weather.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

We have liftoff!
lmao at the carefully planned launch headfirst into a solid object
little children :unsmith: i hope conditions improve soon for your flock, and that everybody itt is safe from the terrible flu.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
you never know whos behind that screen

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i always suspected

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

a strange fowl posted:

the eggs are pipped and my brooder has died :supaburn:

i'm frantically googling homesteading websites to learn how to keep the drat things alive without electrical assistance until i can find a better solution. apparently it's possible, so please pray for us

e: after much research, i have decided to keep the six chicks in my bra for a month

Hot water bottles? Soft nesting material and layers of blankets around brooder?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Just peck

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Dienes posted:

Hot water bottles? Soft nesting material and layers of blankets around brooder?
i've built a contraption of nested boxes, towels, dried grass, a knitted woollen beanie, the insulated foil packaging that my medicinal weed comes in, and a glass coffee jar full of hot water. i'll let you all know how it goes.

if i can successfully raise a brood without a brooder (currently there are two, the eggs were out of season so the fertility rate was low) that will bring me one step closer to my lifelong dream of becoming a hen

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 7, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Speaking of heat sources, I'm curious what those of you in northern climes do to keep water from freezing during the winter.

I've used one of these low-wattage puck de-icers for the past two winters. It was super effective for a 2 gallon bucket, but less so for my 5 gallon bucket, which would freeze up pretty solid any time it got below 20 for more than a few hours overnight.

I like it because it's only 60 watts, but I think I need to up my wattage. However I can't go whole hog because I'm running the de-icer and a cozy coop panel (200 watts) off about 150 feet of 16/3 outdoor extension cord, so ideally I'd stay under 600 watts total.

This one has generally great reviews as far as "keeps water wet" but also does not seem to last super long.

Anyone have a better solution? I don't want to bring water into the coop because that seems to be an invitation for wet/frozen/dead chickens. I'd also like to keep using the 5 gallon bucket if possible just to lessen the amount of water I've got to deal with in the winter.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Anyone have a better solution? I don't want to bring water into the coop because that seems to be an invitation for wet/frozen/dead chickens. I'd also like to keep using the 5 gallon bucket if possible just to lessen the amount of water I've got to deal with in the winter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QXN1EQ

I use that one, it keeps ~6-8 gallons of water in a big Tupperware tote ice free. We keep it outside of the duck house. It easily handled temps down to -20 F without an issue.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the chicks have made it through their first night!

i have to get up every three hours to change the hot water, but it's kind of enjoyable. a hen's work is never done.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

now i'm researching various kinds of bantams, because i don't know much about them, and lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyncheon posted:

Nathaniel Hawthorne was familiar with the Pyncheon breed, and he bred them himself around the time at which wrote the novel. The chickens in the book mirror the degeneration of the Pyncheon family, whose name they share. Though not explicitly called a bantam, the Pyncheon's small size is referred to several times in the book, as is the breed's antiquity:

"Queerly indeed they looked! Chanticleer himself, though stalking on two stilt-like legs, with the dignity interminable descent in all his gestures, was hardly bigger than an ordinary partridge; his two wives were about the size of quails; and as for the one chicken, it looked small enough to be still in the egg, and, at the same time, sufficiently old, withered, wizened, and experienced to have been the founder of the antiquated race."

A comparison is made between the birds and the Pyncheon family; both of whom bear many similarities, including their haughty airs and dolefulness. The "ancient and respectable fowls", like the Pyncheon family, have a long and noble lineage that is now desecrated.

The peculiarities of the breed are later described further:

"Phoebe, after getting well acquainted with the old hen, was sometimes permitted to take the chicken [the old hen's chick] in her hand, which was quite capable of grasping its cubic inch or two of body. While she curiously examined its hereditary marks – the peculiar speckle of its plumage, the funny tuft on its head, and a knob on each of its legs – the little biped, as she insisted, kept giving her a sagacious wink."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serama posted:

There are no written standards for the breed in its native country. However, they do now have an overall guide on scoring and judging for competitions in Malaysia. Many breeders have a style or type that they breed to, but often breeders keep several "styles". These styles are often names given by breeders to describe a blood line of a champion (e.g. Husin, Mat Awang), but may also be more general shape, characteristics or behaviour (e.g. slim, submarine, and dragon). Hence there is quite a lot of diversity in Malaysia, but an overall theme of a small brave chicken with a persona of fearless warrior or toy soldier. The shape, behaviour, temperament and size of the bird are the most important characteristics. They compete against each other in open table top competitions (often described as "beauty contests") and scored by several judges. The prize for the winning birds can be a considerable sum of money.
the birds :allears:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Yooper posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QXN1EQ

I use that one, it keeps ~6-8 gallons of water in a big Tupperware tote ice free. We keep it outside of the duck house. It easily handled temps down to -20 F without an issue.
Ordered, in no small part because I inherently trust the cold weather opinions of someone named Yooper.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

we are all chickens now.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
Look At Those Got drat Feet!

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
one of my fat bird sons just poo poo on me so i've decided to evict them from my home. it was so warm. how do i move past this massive disrespect

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Gonna bring Tammy inside later this evening where she'll remain until this surprise hurricane passes.

The chicks continue to grow at an alarming rate. They went apeshit earlier for the sand bath when Dienes gave it to them, I think she took video. I want to get video next time she gives them sprouts and worms, they absolutely lose their poo poo.

Here's the full roster of our covey:

Gerald Pancakes

Gwaihir the Windlord

Jeri

Korben Dallas

Kylo Hen

Lucky

Muad'Dib

Peanut Hamper

Quinlan

Volly

Wumbus

Zapdos

They're still a little too small for the leg bands so I wanted to get good images and good IDs before they lost what's left of their food coloring spots and baby patterns.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

one of my fat bird sons just poo poo on me so i've decided to evict them from my home. it was so warm. how do i move past this massive disrespect

The one thing I don't miss about when I had macaws: that uniquely warm and wet sensation of bird poo poo landing on your back and sliding down.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it is such a joy to have quail in the thread again, and great to see appropriate attention paid to naming them properly

all my quail are still alive and thriving since the last tragedy, but i'm afraid to post photos nowadays because they seem to directly correspond with waves of death for some cosmic reason. the four ancona chicks have made it through two low-tech nights now. their names are marietta, serafina, bianca, and the sultan of swing (and gina, may she rest in peace). they actually sleep much more than chicks under the ecoglow brooder, i was worried at first but they seem to be doing okay regardless.

e: gina is of course short for vagina and was named by a friend, i'm very sorry to say. if they turn out to be roosters, they still keep their frilly lady names because gendered naming is a construct and roosters should dare to be gorgeous

e2: edited, one of them had an issue at birth that got worse and there was no other way of fixing it :( that one was hatched about 18 hours after the others so there might have been something wrong from the start. four out of twelve is a pretty poor result, either my incubation technique or an issue with the eggs themselves. they are from championship lines, so highly inbred. luckily, the four that survived seem highly alive, they're already making credible attempts to escape the brooder box.

i'm going to tell my friend the chick that died was gina, he'll be furious

e3: this is why i'm looking at bantams. after a thorough investigation over many years into the science of artificial incubation and brooding, i have come to the conclusion that the single most exquisite piece of technology available to humankind is the hen.

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 9, 2022

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

what a rollercoaster of a post. i'm so sorry

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

a strange fowl posted:

what a rollercoaster of a post. i'm so sorry

Thank you for the updates. Roost in Peace little one. :smith:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

spookygonk posted:

Thank you for the updates. Roost in Peace little one. :smith:
:glomp: thank you, friend. happily, three nights have passed and the four survivors are doing great :h:

this is the sultan, whose favourite thing to do is climb up on top of the nest, panic because they can't see the other chicks, and scream! they also spent some time yesterday sitting on my shoulder like a parrot.

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 9, 2022

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We finally coordinated to deliver worms to the brooder when I was available to get some video of the ensuing chaos:

https://i.imgur.com/U2YZoEG.mp4

And then a handful of sprouts:

https://i.imgur.com/IUrRmsa.mp4

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

BaronVonVaderham posted:

We finally coordinated to deliver worms to the brooder when I was available to get some video of the ensuing chaos:
they look so healthy! you've done a great job.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a strange fowl posted:

:glomp: thank you, friend. happily, three nights have passed and the four survivors are doing great :h:

this is the sultan, whose favourite thing to do is climb up on top of the nest, panic because they can't see the other chicks, and scream! they also spent some time yesterday sitting on my shoulder like a parrot.

They look like they know their name and agree with it.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

all the chicks are still alive :neckbeard:

i keep expecting them to suddenly die, but they seem to be doing well, so i guess the coffee jar technique has been a success. it's a bit more work than the ecoglow, but after the first two nights they even let me sleep through the night. i tried a few different jars - the only one that worked so well was coffee because the glass is so thick, i fill it with boiling water at 10pm and it's still warm to the touch at 7am. the chicks seem to really enjoy snuggling under the towels too, i bundle them under there and they just fall asleep straight away. there's also been much less screaming compared to the artificially brooded chicks, but that might just be the breed. i think i'll always do it this way in the future, there's just something so nice about it. :unsmith:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a strange fowl posted:

all the chicks are still alive :neckbeard:

:toot:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Kylo Hen has become rather addicted to attention from humans:

https://i.imgur.com/Lrk8ZO5.mp4

Any time we open the brooder up they come running and jump at us until picked up. They also sound like a guinea pig when being petted.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
wilson just tried to fly into my open mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

w4ddl3d33 posted:

wilson just tried to fly into my open mouth

human tongue be the forbidden worm