Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

sigma 6 posted:

That's really cool!! Would love to pick your brain about a few details.

Not sure how much I can say cause of NDA stuff, and also because I'm an animator and don't understand a lot of the technical details about what's going on with the fx or cameras and stuff. The shot where the net destroys the log was the most technically complicated shot in the film but a lot of the impressive stuff in that was the result of cfx and fx departments. I did have to do a whole previz of how it would look though using alembics because they weren't sure how the net ball should come apart and how it the nets would be drawn back into it.

Here's also some interviews with the studio side and client side vfx supes. Both really nice guys, though it was definitely a high pressure environment at the end to get some of these shots out:

https://www.artofvfx.com/prey-ryan-cook-production-vfx-supervisor/

https://beforesandafters.com/2022/08/30/an-effects-artists-dream-project-predator-mandibles-cloaking-and-a-bear-fight-in-prey/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Harvey Baldman posted:

I'm sorry for bringing another dumb ZBrush question in here, but I'd appreciate the help.

I have a 3D scan of a pyrite cube. I have been asked to clean this scan up by sharpening the squared-off edges and smoothing down the flat surfaces, while also keeping the chipped/damaged areas on the scan intact.

I started by masking and polygrouping off the areas on the scan that I wanted to preserve - those damaged sections, specifically.

I figured no matter how I ended up skinning this cat I'd need that.

My first impulse was to go for the HPolish/Planar brushes to start knocking down all that noise, which works, but I might be doing it wrong. It was able to tighten up the corners pretty well with the HPolish brushes, but I noticed that when I viewed those faces at an oblique angle I was leaving stroke marks in the surfaces that were meant to be flat.

The planar brushes worked to a degree, too, but started changing the dimensions of the faces, which wasn't really my goal. I could get a flat surface out of it, but it'd be substantially lower than the original surface where I started, and potentially at a slight angle relative to the original face, I guess based on the surface normal of where I started from?

Since this wasn't getting me where I needed, I thought I'd come at it from a different angle by re-making the underlying cube geometry and then just trying to project the chipped sections I wanted to keep onto it.

This didn't seem to work very well, even at really high mesh densities (5-10m polys).

I tried going at it in the other direction, by hiding the polygroups for the 'damage' and then projecting the sharp corners from my re-made cube onto the scanned cube, and that also didn't really work great. It did flatten out most of the faces, but the corner egdes were still garbage and the damaged areas I was trying to keep are either sunken into or standing out of the surface, along with a bunch of other weird noise.

I'm sure there must be a smart way to do this, either with the HPolish / Planar brushes that I wasn't able to get to behave as I wanted or with reprojection, or boolean operations, or something. I'm at a bit of a loss here, though. What's the right way to accomplish this?

I think it's a bit of a turd job. You're always going to end up with 2 distinct looking geometry groups, since one will be highly detailed + the original noise and your new surface being clean.
I would take your last result and repair corners/edges manually. I think you'll struggle to do it more procedurally otherwise. One alternative would be to do a clean version and blend it with the noisy version, masking in the areas that you want. (This I don't know how to do in Zbrush, I assume you can, but it would easy in Houdini).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm thinking a crisp clay polish should give you a cleaner mesh you can project sections you want cleaned up from. just at a guess though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would be tempted to retop it, then project the detail in the damaged areas so you can keep the flat areas perfectly flat

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

EoinCannon posted:

I would be tempted to retop it, then project the detail in the damaged areas so you can keep the flat areas perfectly flat

This would have been my first guess too

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Yeah I’d do a multires, then bake the details to normal map

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What is the end purpose for the cube?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So Ive been noodling around with Blender and Unreal 5, is it better to just stick with Blender for modeling or do everything in Unreal?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DreadUnknown posted:

So Ive been noodling around with Blender and Unreal 5, is it better to just stick with Blender for modeling or do everything in Unreal?

Definitely stick to blender at the moment. Unreal's geometry tools are fairly new and ... maddening.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Unreal brushes are 100% not a modeling tool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

Unreal brushes are 100% not a modeling tool.

Unreal 5 introduces some rudimentary modeling capabilities which is what I assume the poster meant. But they aren't a match for Blender... Or any other DCC at the moment.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Ahh ok, I was enjoying Blender's scupting tools quite a bit. Ill stick with it then.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nodevember thread in the ‘pos

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4015885

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Started making a greyhound for a job which was then cancelled so turned it into an anatomy and pose exercise
I like dogs

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Very cool.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
God some of you are incredible sculptors. Amazing work!

How is something like skin stretching/folding/bone exposure handled when posing? Is it like shot sculpting/CFX kind of stuff, are those all using posed bases that then get all the muscle/etc added?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slothful Bong posted:

God some of you are incredible sculptors. Amazing work!

How is something like skin stretching/folding/bone exposure handled when posing? Is it like shot sculpting/CFX kind of stuff, are those all using posed bases that then get all the muscle/etc added?

Cheers :)
It's not rigged, I just pose it in Zbrush with the transpose tools then resculpt the anatomy to suit each pose.

Apr 7, 2019

EoinCannon posted:

Started making a greyhound for a job which was then cancelled so turned it into an anatomy and pose exercise
I like dogs

I need to start learning to sculpt again. I am envious.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did a couple of hour sculpt from a sphere in a single session which turned out kind of interesting
Dunno if that video is going to embed properly

https://imgur.com/6Wio2sl
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SatisfiedAmusedFawn-mobile.mp4

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 9, 2022

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/stvulture/status/1590235730025926656

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

RETICULATING SPLINES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEjXuuwI0oE

Also hey y'all I'm from the YOSPOS Blender thread and I didn't even know this one existed!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

EoinCannon posted:

Did a couple of hour sculpt from a sphere in a single session which turned out kind of interesting
Dunno if that video is going to embed properly

https://imgur.com/6Wio2sl
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SatisfiedAmusedFawn-mobile.mp4

Nice work!

Some content:

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 11, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was wondering why I was blocked by this guy then I remembered I told him NFTs were dumb, lmao.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Anybody know of any distinct advantage Redshift has over Arnold or Keyshot? I recently installed Redshift as part of the Maxon One suite and I am not sure why I should use it, other than it just comes very, very cheap in this case. Any big advantages over other PBR renderers?
Anyone here actually use Redshift?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sigma 6 posted:

Anybody know of any distinct advantage Redshift has over Arnold or Keyshot? I recently installed Redshift as part of the Maxon One suite and I am not sure why I should use it, other than it just comes very, very cheap in this case. Any big advantages over other PBR renderers?

I use Redshift just because it was cheaper than Octane and there were lots of people using it and publishing tutorials for it with the software I was using. I don't know enough about its pros/cons vs other renderers to answer why you would want to use it. They had some upgrades recently to stuff like SSS that were nice but I don't think there's any reason to switch if you're already using other tools and don't have any problems with them.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

The studio I work at uses it
I haven't tested it against the other current generation of renderers and I last used vray 7 years ago so my observations are not very informed

It's fast if you have good GPUs
I has pretty much all the features needed for our production (vfx and animation for mostly tvcs) and they were pretty receptive to bug reports and feature requests, don't know how this will change with the maxxon acquisition

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
If you are already fluent in Arnold, you aren't going to get too much more out of Redshift. Although I'm not sure the state of Arnold's GPU rendering. I know it's getting pretty good.

Redshift is a good value if you're a C4D user and getting it with a bundle. A lot of people use it but it also falls into the "it's not going to give you a super power over any other renderer" category.

I know some folks don't like how Redshift handles VDBs, so if you deal with those that might be an issue. But it also has a new Standard Material people love (that I think borrows a lot from Arnold).

Personally I'm an avid Octane user. It's my favorite.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

BonoMan posted:

If you are already fluent in Arnold, you aren't going to get too much more out of Redshift. Although I'm not sure the state of Arnold's GPU rendering. I know it's getting pretty good.

Redshift is a good value if you're a C4D user and getting it with a bundle. A lot of people use it but it also falls into the "it's not going to give you a super power over any other renderer" category.

I know some folks don't like how Redshift handles VDBs, so if you deal with those that might be an issue. But it also has a new Standard Material people love (that I think borrows a lot from Arnold).

Personally I'm an avid Octane user. It's my favorite.

I have really good things about Octane but Redshift happens to be bundled with the Maxon One suite. Now that I know Redshift has a Standard Material (PBR?) similar to Arnold's I might be inclined to make some render tests. Good news is I have a 3070 in this machine so I am curious to bench it against Arnold and Keyshot. Don't use VDBs yet so that part doesn't matter much to me.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems to integrate well with Maya so it's time to do some tests.

Also - not related but... has anyone tried the text to 3d model stuff yet? Seems to be more and more of it. Just like the 2d counterparts, more "text to *art*" software is popping up everywhere.
https://mpost.io/text-to-3d-google-has-developed-a-neural-network-that-generates-3d-models-from-text-descriptions/

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

Also - not related but... has anyone tried the text to 3d model stuff yet? Seems to be more and more of it. Just like the 2d counterparts, more "text to *art*" software is popping up everywhere.
https://mpost.io/text-to-3d-google-has-developed-a-neural-network-that-generates-3d-models-from-text-descriptions/

gently caress all this stuff, I hate it

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

gently caress all this stuff, I hate it

Pretty common reaction that any artist has towards text based Ai stuff but you can't stop it.

This artist, for example, has been doing interesting work with it.
https://www.instagram.com/wetterschneider/
Midjourney I think in this case. Regardless, it is everywhere, and getting more popular every day. The "make art" magic button has never more been a thing.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

Pretty common reaction that any artist has towards text based Ai stuff but you can't stop it.

This artist, for example, has been doing interesting work with it.
https://www.instagram.com/wetterschneider/
Midjourney I think in this case. Regardless, it is everywhere, and getting more popular every day. The "make art" magic button has never more been a thing.

Fair enough it's inevitable and popular, still hate it
It's all built on the appropriation of art from actual artists

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Fair enough it's inevitable and popular, still hate it
It's all built on the appropriation of art from actual artists

You will get no argument out of me. However vs. photobashing reference together... it is arguably much faster for ideation.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

I have really good things about Octane but Redshift happens to be bundled with the Maxon One suite. Now that I know Redshift has a Standard Material (PBR?) similar to Arnold's I might be inclined to make some render tests. Good news is I have a 3070 in this machine so I am curious to bench it against Arnold and Keyshot. Don't use VDBs yet so that part doesn't matter much to me.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems to integrate well with Maya so it's time to do some tests.

Yeah if money is a factor then it's a great value being included. Didn't realize it worked with Maya either!

As for AI. I use midjourney for fun and v4 is getting seriously good. There's also some really cool stable diffusion tools that have integration into some DCC. I know Blender has something and NitroMan made one for c4d.

There's tons of artists discussions and ethics to be talked about but I'm phone posting. The MoGraph.com slack is a great place to hang and talk about this stuff.

I'm more interested in neural and AI models that are being implemented into simulations to run them orders of magnitudes faster. It's pretty intense.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All this AI poo poo made me give up ever going back into digital art.

gently caress this I'm just going to make pottery from now on. Its much more fun and if people want to steal poo poo at least I can punch their face in first.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The AI art thing is interesting times. I think the whole AI area has several big inflection points in its future where it will have to figure out where it fits ethically into the larger landscape, culture, etc, but I don't think it'll be like crypto or NFTs which I could still see evaporating off into a small niche thing. Seems like a lot of potential but creative industries are going to have to adjust to it too.

At some point I'll have to figure out where it would best serve me as an artist, but at the moment I'm much more art-centric and not tech/engineering-centric so I can't really do jack poo poo with rolling my own AI UV layout solver or whatever the gently caress.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Meh, it's the same argument with digital photography, etc.
It still leaves the client (and 'operator') without much control, so while it may be good for generic stuff.

I mean, a large part of my work over the last 10 years has been how to make stuff not look like what the software really wants it to look like. There will always be room (and a requirement) for personal expression and not just what the computer gives you.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm wanting to dabble in computer graphics again out of boredom. I've installed Blender, because it's free and such. Is there an option to display current viewport scale and/or cursor position in real time? I find it kind of weird that I have to trial and error at various zoom levels to figure out viewport scale, and then cat scratch a spline first and then start moving vertices into proper position. The transform pop out only updates when moving existing vertices.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Could you elaborate on what you're looking for? I know Blender a bit but not really any other 3d packages so I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "viewport scale" in this case.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I can't really figure that post out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Its been a while since I've been in blender, but every 3d program that I know of has a grid you can turn on.