Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

quote:

Libby German's grandmother and guardian, Becky Patty, was surprised to learn the man arrested for the murders of Libby and Abby Williams was a Delphi resident.

whaaaattt nooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
So the dude was local, possibly owned the land they were found on, and looks just like the guy in the video…. I really want to know why the hell it took so long to find him. There’s definitely a story there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Holy poo poo, they identified the Lady in the Dunes. https://twitter.com/CourthouseNews/status/1587178845505220608

I wonder if there's any bone material left of the Boy in the Box?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
Ok genealogists now do the Isdal Woman

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At this rate, they’ll find out who put Bella in the wych elm by the end of the week.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

R.L. Stine posted:

Arrest made in Delphi double murder case (the creepy one with the phone footage)

Sorry if posted before, I think it was unofficial/speculation a few days ago but they just did the press conference today

So the guy who was catfishing teenage girls on Instagram is just a regular pervert and these girls crossed paths with two predators in 24 hours? I'm starting to think that girls/women might have it harder than men in some respects.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Holy poo poo, they identified the Lady in the Dunes.

But WAS she in Jaws???

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

SamLikesCake posted:

Fantastic news, if he’s the guy. Is this the same person who owned the land where the girls were found?
He is not. The land owner's phone pinged to the area close to where the bodies were discovered, the night before they were found. He was never charged, possibly because he died of Covid a while back.

BrianRx posted:

So the guy who was catfishing teenage girls on Instagram is just a regular pervert and these girls crossed paths with two predators in 24 hours? I'm starting to think that girls/women might have it harder than men in some respects.

IIRC the perv you're referring to was confirmed to have had electronic contact with Libby the day before the murders, and they had made plans to meet on the day of the murders.

Of course there's a ton of speculation and confusion because 1) all the records around the arrest/case are sealed and 2) local LE has been going on for years about how "we know who did this and we're just waiting to prove it but no we can't even release a cause of death".

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Vorenus posted:

IIRC the perv you're referring to was confirmed to have had electronic contact with Libby the day before the murders, and they had made plans to meet on the day of the murders.

Yeah, that's the one. That was the last thing I heard about the case and it sounded like they were getting ready to charge him, though that might have been YouTube hyperbole. Weird, weird coincidence.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vorenus posted:

Of course there's a ton of speculation and confusion because 1) all the records around the arrest/case are sealed and 2) local LE has been going on for years about how "we know who did this and we're just waiting to prove it but no we can't even release a cause of death".

It was cops or judge

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Right? If that's the case, loving walk away. Get help. Take a sabbatical. What you don't do is double down and ruin people's lives.

Unfortunately mental health services for social workers are usually grossly insufficient if they're available at all. Though most of them just have the decency to quit or develop a drinking problem rather than start an unhinged moral crusade that causes their entire community to live in terror and misery.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Acute Grill posted:

Unfortunately mental health services for social workers are usually grossly insufficient if they're available at all. Though most of them just have the decency to quit or develop a drinking problem rather than start an unhinged moral crusade that causes their entire community to live in terror and misery.

I'm curious about this. Do you mean that there aren't many social work-specific therapists available? Or a lack of a peer support concept? I work part time in fire/EMS and we have employee assistance programs and peer support groups (of which I'm a member of) who are specially trained to work with, identify, and refer to general counselors. It would really be surprising if a field so exposed to mental trauma wouldn't have something similar.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Social work is a remarkably churn-and-burn profession. Flip a coin to see if the support networks in your area believe in any kind of mental health treatment besides AA and AA-based programs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wonder how they came up with two totally different sketches of the Delphi suspect and told everyone to forget the one that actually looked like the guy.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Can we just talk about how useless the forensic reconstructions were

real photo

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What?? Something law enforcement related is a useless grift? :monocle:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is funny to do those when the age range you have for the decedent is more than 20 years.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i'm not sure ANY of the "forensics" poo poo isn't ultimately guesswork, hope and grift in a proportion that varies according to the personal practicioner. blood spatter, fingerprints (in a forensic setting; they work fine as identification under controlled circumstances but not when lifted in distorted form from random objects), bite mark/toothmark analysis, and facial reconstruction are all unreliable. the insect stuff they're learning from body farms is the only forensics thing i can think of off-hand that hasn't already been denigrated, and then the denigration utterly ignored because our culture loves thinking police can science to fight evil criminal like tv

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I'm curious about this. Do you mean that there aren't many social work-specific therapists available? Or a lack of a peer support concept? I work part time in fire/EMS and we have employee assistance programs and peer support groups (of which I'm a member of) who are specially trained to work with, identify, and refer to general counselors. It would really be surprising if a field so exposed to mental trauma wouldn't have something similar.

Halloween Jack posted:

Social work is a remarkably churn-and-burn profession. Flip a coin to see if the support networks in your area believe in any kind of mental health treatment besides AA and AA-based programs.

Basically this. Usually very little in the way of peer support and EAP to find a counselor is only going to be useful if you actually have therapists in your area who are taking on new patients.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
That’s assuming you even get EAP benefits and aren’t classified as a consultant or something.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FishBulbia posted:

Can we just talk about how useless the forensic reconstructions were

real photo

I like how Axl Rose is in the bottom left of the six pictures

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

i'm not sure ANY of the "forensics" poo poo isn't ultimately guesswork, hope and grift in a proportion that varies according to the personal practicioner. blood spatter, fingerprints (in a forensic setting; they work fine as identification under controlled circumstances but not when lifted in distorted form from random objects), bite mark/toothmark analysis, and facial reconstruction are all unreliable. the insect stuff they're learning from body farms is the only forensics thing i can think of off-hand that hasn't already been denigrated, and then the denigration utterly ignored because our culture loves thinking police can science to fight evil criminal like tv

DNA is good if they don't deliberately gently caress it up.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I like how Axl Rose is in the bottom left of the six pictures

lol saw that too

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Tunicate posted:

forgot about that

hair and fiber analysis are bullshit though.thought of that because at one point i thought "hair analysis" was a dna analysis and only recently learned that most hair can't be used for a DNA analysis and "forensic fiber analysis" consists of looking at it through a microscope and saying whether or not it looks similar to another fiber you're also looking at through the microscope. all the tools i've mentioned can work to exclude a suspect but can't actually prove any positives and culture makes it all seem so very, very scientific and real (because we must not shake the table upon which is the police state house of cards)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I will do anything to find that sweet child o mine, including forensic reconstructions.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tunicate posted:

Doesn't even have to be deliberate either:

quote:

DNA analysis can become even trickier when a mix of DNA from various potential suspects is found in a single crime scene sample. With a simple sample, analysts look at two sets of peaks at a given locus: one for the victim and one for the perpetrator. With mixtures, they're looking at bunches of peaks, with no indication of which pairs go together, or which source they came from—aside from those of the known victim. At that point the analysis becomes highly subjective.

Studies have confirmed this. In 2013, geneticist Michael Coble of the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, Maryland, set up a hypothetical scenario in which a mix of DNA from several people had been found on a ski mask left at a crime scene after a series of robberies. Coble asked 108 labs across the country to determine whether a separate DNA sample, which he posited had come from a suspect in the robberies, was also part of the mix. Seventy-three of the labs got it wrong, saying the suspect's DNA was part of the mix when, in fact, it was not. "It's the Wild West out there," Coble says. "Too much is left to the analysts' discretion."

https://www.science.org/content/article/forensics-gone-wrong-when-dna-snares-innocent

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGny_s9908Y
Delphi judge has recused himself, citing that he felt unsafe. His loving family got doxxed on youtube, presumably by true crime dipshits

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Husband did it

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/11/03/metro/husband-lady-dunes-killed-provincetown-1974-also-suspected-seattle-double-slaying-1960/

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chandler-halderson-wisconsin-double-murder-bart-and-krista-halderson-48-hours/?intcid=CNI-00-10aaa3b

Came across this randomly. Not a fan of the article format, but the story fits the thread well.

College student lies to everyone about having an IT degree and working for SpaceX. Gets found out by his parents, so he murders them and involves his unwitting girlfriend. A big piece of evidence is from his girlfriend's phone - he agreed to let her see his location in snapchat after being caught cheating on her, which allows police to figure out where he dumped some of the remains.

His response to being convicted? "Your Honor, I want to take this opportunity to state my intent to appeal my convictions. If there are any lawyers listening and willing to take on my appeal, take a moment to please reach out to me. It's not that I do not have feelings, it is that I was warned to not show them due to the scrutiny of this case. Thank you."

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Vorenus posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chandler-halderson-wisconsin-double-murder-bart-and-krista-halderson-48-hours/?intcid=CNI-00-10aaa3b

Came across this randomly. Not a fan of the article format, but the story fits the thread well.

College student lies to everyone about having an IT degree and working for SpaceX. Gets found out by his parents, so he murders them and involves his unwitting girlfriend. A big piece of evidence is from his girlfriend's phone - he agreed to let her see his location in snapchat after being caught cheating on her, which allows police to figure out where he dumped some of the remains.

His response to being convicted? "Your Honor, I want to take this opportunity to state my intent to appeal my convictions. If there are any lawyers listening and willing to take on my appeal, take a moment to please reach out to me. It's not that I do not have feelings, it is that I was warned to not show them due to the scrutiny of this case. Thank you."

Matt Orchard did a video about this dweeb that's pretty good as well: https://youtu.be/ozdL1lEA3Bg.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That one was very popular among true crime youtubers because the dude lied about everything. Lied about having a job and kept telling his parents the company was loving up his direct deposit, lied about going to school, would get up early and rope his gaming buddies in to pretending to do work calls with him, lied about getting the Space X job and planning to move to Florida with his girlfriend, lied about sustaining a concussion to the point of wearing a neck brace to try to kick the ball further down the field. Killed his parents when his dad finally called the school and found out he wasn't enrolled and that all the school officials he'd been communicating with were made-up and set up a meeting with his son to go to the school.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

One of the more 'what?!?!' moments of that story was the guy's gaming buddy just gifting him an SKS because he liked it in CoD. Please don't give random people you meet gaming semi-auto rifles.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel like if you have that kind of initiative and ambition you could probably get a job in the aeronautics industry. Instead of killing your whole family because they found out you don't work for the biggest dorkwad on the planet.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

This seems like a lot more work than just getting your A+, Network+, and Security+ certificates by watching youtube videos and paying the 200 bucks for each test. That's all most IT degrees entail.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Story is also a return of the classic "It Is Much Harder To Burn Bodies Than You Think" trope

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

This seems like a lot more work than just getting your A+, Network+, and Security+ certificates by watching youtube videos and paying the 200 bucks for each test. That's all most IT degrees entail.

Yeah all that poo poo had to be way more mentally/emotionally exhausting than just doing the actual stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like if you have that kind of initiative and ambition you could probably get a job in the aeronautics industry. Instead of killing your whole family because they found out you don't work for the biggest dorkwad on the planet.

He's the Ferris Bueller of murder

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah all that poo poo had to be way more mentally/emotionally exhausting than just doing the actual stuff.

Classic Sunk Cost Fallacy and Learned Helplessness tropes!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FishBulbia posted:

One of the more 'what?!?!' moments of that story was the guy's gaming buddy just gifting him an SKS because he liked it in CoD. Please don't give random people you meet gaming semi-auto rifles.
Were they old friends or something? The list of people that I'd buy a $500 gift for on a whim is pretty short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Elysiume posted:

Were they old friends or something? The list of people that I'd buy a $500 gift for on a whim is pretty short.

He was a troop stationed in Germany when they met and he drove hundreds of miles to Wisconsin to give him the gun. I mean, I'm sure Chandler would've found a way, but I can't help but think that the murders wouldn't have happened if someone didn't literally hand him a gun, considering how lazy and inept he seems.