Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

i report a lot of people for being toxic in chat or comms does that actually do anything? allegedly, according to the report window, they want those reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

i report a lot of people for being toxic in chat or comms does that actually do anything? allegedly, according to the report window, they want those reports.

In OW1 I frequently got notifications that someone I reported got banned or suspended (they'd show when first launching the game). Not sure if those notifications are still a thing w/ OW2 or how aggressively they've been responding to reports, but historically I'd say yes reports actually can have an effect.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
yeah the genji skin is cool. not a fan of the voice though, which i dont think is customisable. it's much closer to like, DOTA Arcanas. i don't think i'd pay 20 for it, but maybe if one of my favs got a cool one

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

abigserve posted:

"Selling items to people who pay for them" is not a lovely business practice lmao

That's probably the dumbest thing I've read in the whole thread.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jack Trades posted:

That's probably the dumbest thing I've read in the whole thread.

Nah. These are way worse:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013871&userid=170566

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

leftist heap posted:

I have gotten DPS once since OW2 was released lol

For me it’s about 1 in 10 I get something else but if I join a group I get dropped in all of them fairly evenly distributed.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Splinter posted:

In OW1 I frequently got notifications that someone I reported got banned or suspended (they'd show when first launching the game). Not sure if those notifications are still a thing w/ OW2 or how aggressively they've been responding to reports, but historically I'd say yes reports actually can have an effect.

I reported around 100 names in the launch week, and did get 2 notifications of actions taken.

So the notifications still exist, but can't tell if they send them in mass, or if just 2 of the nazi names were actually banned.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Is anyone getting a crash/disconnection from game server when they try to view their game history? I can't see any replays because it just locks up.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Is anyone getting a crash/disconnection from game server when they try to view their game history? I can't see any replays because it just locks up.

I personally haven't specifically with that, I'm still getting random crashes and occasional PC reboots during actual play though

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

teagone posted:

When you notice he has flower nips you can't unsee it and that's all you'll see now.

You say that like it's a problem and not the top selling point.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My first game is always super laggy for a few minutes.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Is there a spreadsheet for playing together, or are we just using the general one for our respective gaming setups? Beware, I've never played any version of overwatch before, so I'm pretty bad, but the game is way fun! :buddy:

Blizzard: Hamshakes#1830, Xbox gt: Defektedtoy

I added a bunch of people from the early Apex days, but none of them seem to play ow2.

Side note: why are the Junkenstein's challenge modes so difficult? It took me 2-3 days to complete one of them. Also, the other Bride's Revenge difficulties seem impossible to do with randos. Hard is loving brutal. Granted, I'm not great at the mechanics, but I'm not new to fps games. :shrug:

you can hit me up via this thing!

black.lion posted:

the discord server no one asked for

https://discord.gg/rT9aawFSWm

thus far we've had exactly zero groups but we do have people, and presumably eventually mb we will group

black.lion fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 31, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

black.lion posted:

you can hit me up via this thing!

thus far we've had exactly zero groups but we do have people, and presumably eventually mb we will group

That link's expired anyway

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That link's expired anyway

Thank you for telling me! Replaced it with this one:

https://discord.gg/rT9aawFSWm

...which does not expire!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Not sure it's my best Bap round but pretty proud of this. Need to improve my damage but it's hard when you're pumping out so much healing. No voice comms so coordinating the ult is tricky too, I think Bap's ult is the hardest maybe in the game to get good value out of, at least out of all the supports. Obviously it goes up when you get into high tiers and there's more coordinated peeps using voice.

Also will never get tired of throwing immortality field down when Genji ults and just crouch jumping over him, gently caress you Genji. Shockingly their Genji was toxic and flaming his team.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 31, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
THis is by no means easy and I suck poo poo at it. But you can fire a burst between healing grenades without slowing down your healing per minute rate.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
yeah holding m1 and m2 works p well but lol if i doesnt make me forget and start shooting grenades at the enemy and filling my team with lead lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

Also will never get tired of throwing immortality field down when Genji ults and just crouch jumping over him, gently caress you Genji. Shockingly their Genji was toxic and flaming his team.

The funniest thing to do to ulting Genjis is to Sigma ult them and watch them flail wildly in mid air

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I have the green power ranger genji skin

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Calibanibal posted:

I have the green power ranger genji skin

This is clearly Kamen Rider, but you have good taste in skins.

Finally getting back in the swing of things. I might brave the horrors of Ranked... I think I could place higher than my previous best if I stuck to one character, such as Reaper. I think my problem with ranked was always that I tried to play every character at least a little bit, or I would try to fill gaps rather than playing my better characters.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/1587189209844125696 whoopsie

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Jesus Christ. Can't even go a week without a hero being disabled. :laffo:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What do you expect, it’s a brand new game there are going to be unexpected bugs

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
orissa is v strong now and the main issue im having is v sigma since his CD's are way faster than mine but thats ok ccuz sigma owns

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are players not allowed to change heroes in OWL, or just don't because there's no need to?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Are players not allowed to change heroes in OWL, or just don't because there's no need to?

They do, you’ll commonly see a DPS player start on widow and try to get a quick pick before immediately swapping if they miss their shot from the door

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aphrodite posted:

the latter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What a diverse meta. Lmao.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Aphrodite posted:

Far from expert here, but often the pro teams have a pretty fixed strategy and comp in mind and will play to that instead of moment to moment counter picking. They do change around a bit but again, it's often part of their already laid plan.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Aphrodite posted:

Sure they can... if they want to throw.

They practice the game a lot as a team and there's currently 'consensus' on which team composition is the best one.
That's why they all play lot of mirror matches.

Usually early after a balancing patch, there's bit more uncertainty what is the best comp and you see more varied matches.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

And this is why they should buff weak characters instead of nerding strong ones

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SadisTech posted:

Far from expert here, but often the pro teams have a pretty fixed strategy and comp in mind and will play to that instead of moment to moment counter picking. They do change around a bit but again, it's often part of their already laid plan.

yeah, team drafts in games like these are usually built around a practiced, coordinated strategy, which in this case is the "deliver the reaper into backline with kiriko ult for full teamwipe" strat. there's some bridging pieces to go along with it (winston for versatile backline harass/team barrier, sojourn for generic all-around good DPS) and some counters to what you assume will be the meta strat (lucio ult + speedup to counter reaper ult)

it's not that it's impossible to win games with other heroes or comps, but pro teams tend to be risk averse if they don't have a good reason not to be, and defaulting to a powerful, simple-to-execute strat just works if you have better execution most of the time

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vermain posted:

it's not that it's impossible to win games with other heroes or comps, but pro teams tend to be risk averse if they don't have a good reason not to be, and defaulting to a powerful, simple-to-execute strat just works if you have better execution most of the time

this is true, but the fact that no team has attempted any other strategy despite every single match played earlier going 3-0 means either the losing teams/coaches have an incredibly inflated sense of their skill or - and in my opinion far more realistically - the "next best strat" is actually so far behind the current winning one that taking a risk is simply a complete non-option even if your chance of winning the mirror is very low.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What, no Genji or Zarya?

They are the boogie man and woman of the game, though!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BabyRyoga posted:

What, no Genji or Zarya?

They are the boogie man and woman of the game, though!

OWL is playing on the new patch i believe

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Countblanc posted:

this is true, but the fact that no team has attempted any other strategy despite every single match played earlier going 3-0 means either the losing teams/coaches have an incredibly inflated sense of their skill or - and in my opinion far more realistically - the "next best strat" is actually so far behind the current winning one that taking a risk is simply a complete non-option even if your chance of winning the mirror is very low.

The Outlaws became my favorite team because they had times where they didn't go with the meta and actually played Hog and they won.

But this meta sucks. Anytime Reaper is in the meta it blows because it's just another GOATS

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Countblanc posted:

it's easy for owl teams to overlook superior strategies because of the way risk aversion is incentivized. GOATS came about because an amateur team took the risk and discovered it worked, GOATS being named after said team.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
anyways a problem is if a team does find another strategy in overwatch, it's often just superior and everyone just copies that instead of having multiple competing balanced strategies lol

a huge problem is any attempt to introduce forced variety like ban/pick makes the game not actually the overwatch everyone else is playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If they want more variety in teams they went the wrong direction, should be 10 vs 10 not 5 vs 5.