Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Madkal posted:

Aw man looks like season 3 is the final season of Stargirl. Despite it's kind of silly teenage versions of old characters thing it won me over and at least acknowledged the JSA (even included wonky timelines). There was a certain earnestness in the show that was fun

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sad about Stargirl but we all knew it was coming.

Good casting for Wonder Man.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I wonder if they'll bring Eric in? The Grim Reaper was always a cool bad guy.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I watched Stargirl season 1 recently and was really surprised at how much I liked it. A lot of pieces that are normally clunky or eye-rolling just came together well.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
ugh fine I'll watch Stargirl

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Interesting casting (Vision your marriage is in danger :ohdear:) but honestly I've literally never read Wonder Man doing anything good or interesting so like. There's an uphill battle here, content-wise.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wonder Man and Spiderwoman were attempts at, respectively, copyright trolling dc and preventing dc from copyright trolling marvel with character names. There may be a third character in there that I’m forgetting, but there’s a reason they’ve always seemed a little superfluous.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wonder Man and Spiderwoman were attempts at, respectively, copyright trolling dc and preventing dc from copyright trolling marvel. There may be a third character in there that I’m forgetting, but there’s a reason they’ve always seemed a little superfluous.

She hulk, possibly Power Man.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wonder Man and Spiderwoman were attempts at, respectively, copyright trolling dc and preventing dc from copyright trolling marvel with character names. There may be a third character in there that I’m forgetting, but there’s a reason they’ve always seemed a little superfluous.
Captain Marvel, surely?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Captain Marvel, surely?

Not really. Fawcett, who owned the character, wasn't legally allowed to publish comics about Captain Marvel due to a settlement with DC for over a decade when Marvel created their version, then another decade later DC entered an agreement to publish Captain Marvel comics, but the trademark had lapsed. So there was a twenty year gap in the publication of comics about Billy Batson, and that's why the comic was called Shazam.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Poor racists, they're going to have to pretend they cared about Wonderman before this. Someone's going to have to say he was their favorite!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Skwirl posted:

Not really. Fawcett, who owned the character, wasn't legally allowed to publish comics about Captain Marvel due to a settlement with DC for over a decade when Marvel created their version, then another decade later DC entered an agreement to publish Captain Marvel comics, but the trademark had lapsed. So there was a twenty year gap in the publication of comics about Billy Batson, and that's why the comic was called Shazam.

And then British comics publishers ripped off Fawcett and we ended up with Marvelman (Miracleman in the US) that came up with a diegetic reason the 1950s comics were so goofy and fantastical. Thank you Allan Moore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

Thank you Allan Moore.

Um, it's pronounced "The Original Writer"

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Opopanax posted:

Poor racists, they're going to have to pretend they cared about Wonderman before this. Someone's going to have to say he was their favorite!

Going to? You gotta scroll the replies a bit but they've already started lmao

and to think, Twitter's only gonna get worse

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm seriously just mystified they're making a Wonder Man show before doing anything with the X-Men in live action, or like dozens of other properties they own. Like I don't care about him being black in this, but there's black characters I'd rather see and other characters who are white in the comics that would be fine with a black actor that I would rather see.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

i'm not racist but i was super hyped when Busiek brought him back in his Avengers run.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

i'm not racist but i was super hyped when Busiek brought him back in his Avengers run.

Good thing your post worked in context. Usually "I'm not racist, but..." is not a sentence that ends well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Being delighted by Beast hanging out with Wonder Man feels like an eternity ago. Has Simon had much contact with ol' Hank 'War Crimes' McCoy, I wonder now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

Good thing your post worked in context. Usually "I'm not racist, but..." is not a sentence that ends well.

i was trying to go for irony.

Dawgstar posted:

Being delighted by Beast hanging out with Wonder Man feels like an eternity ago. Has Simon had much contact with ol' Hank 'War Crimes' McCoy, I wonder now.

i think they bumped into each other in some random minis over the years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There was a great issue of A+X that teamed up Beast and Wonder Man. It was really good. They've also spoken about how each of them kinda of faltered in their attempts to be superheroes and how their younger selves would probably be disappointed in them now. But they used being back together as an excuse to just forget about that for a while and have some fun. They're always awesome together. I'm a huge West Coast Avengers fan and Simon has always been one of my favorite underutilized characters. They got a drat good actor to be him in the MCU so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'm seriously just mystified they're making a Wonder Man show before doing anything with the X-Men in live action, or like dozens of other properties they own. Like I don't care about him being black in this, but there's black characters I'd rather see and other characters who are white in the comics that would be fine with a black actor that I would rather see.

Because the general public isn't aware of Wonder Man so you can knock that show out quick.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Gonna love to see them explain how Vision gets Wonder Man's brain patterns.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Gonna love to see them explain how Vision gets Wonder Man's brain patterns.

Downloads all of his movies

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Downloads all of his movies

Cut to Vision complaining endlessly about the Letterboxd reviews.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Skwirl posted:

I'm seriously just mystified they're making a Wonder Man show before doing anything with the X-Men in live action, or like dozens of other properties they own.

Current "who knows if this is accurate or just dumb internet gossip" thought is that there are still a few lingering actor and producer contracts for all the people involved in the original Fox films. They're waiting on those to finish out in the next year or so to avoid having to pay those individuals. That makes a certain amount of legal and financial sense to be possible.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
well, that's been a popular fancasting since Heartstopper premiered

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1587480269979648000

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've always been a Wonder Man fan, and I'm just happy to see any version appear in live-action. The fact that they got an awesome actor to play him just makes it better.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

well, that's been a popular fancasting since Heartstopper premiered
Hooooly poo poo that's actually perfect wtf. Almost too perfect, considering how much Billy and Teddy have Heartstopper vibes

Deadline posted:

Locke’s character and plot details are being kept under wraps, but sources describe the character as a gay teen with a dark sense of humor.
lmao who can this be

Gonna be kinda weird seeing him get paired up with a Hulkling who's not Kit Connor :xd: unless they wanna grab him too

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
He is Hellstrom

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

BrianWilly posted:

Hooooly poo poo that's actually perfect wtf. Almost too perfect, considering how much Billy and Teddy have Heartstopper vibes

lmao who can this be

Gonna be kinda weird seeing him get paired up with a Hulkling who's not Kit Connor :xd: unless they wanna grab him too

That would be fantastic!

Seeing as there's already a Captain Marvel tie-in with Monica running into Westview, it actually could work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BrianWilly posted:

lmao who can this be

Will they ever do Hulkling? Skaar was just introduced so I wonder if having both would mean too many Hulks. Especially if Harrison Ford is Red Hulk.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I thought they called him Hulkling because's he's green. Does he have any gamma juju going on?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Nope. He's part Kree, part Skrull, all shapeshifter.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mameluke posted:

I thought they called him Hulkling because's he's green. Does he have any gamma juju going on?

No but in name and appearance it just might seem like a lot of Hulks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mameluke posted:

He initially presented as a Hulk to throw anyone off his true identity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gamora is a hulk because she's green and strong

all the skrulls in captain marvel? all hulks because they're green with powers too

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

gamora is a hulk because she's green and strong

all the skrulls in captain marvel? all hulks because they're green with powers too

I mentioned Red Hulk already but ok...

I guess to clarify I do not have a problem with Hulkling, or a problem with him being in the MCU. Was just wondering if Marvel would hesitate in introducing him. Or maybe they change his name or work through the question of his identity a lot faster.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I don’t know this guy or the show he’s on.

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1587476683501838339?s=46&t=KSbF8_zLkZ-ioonY6ozbNA

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lobok posted:

I mentioned Red Hulk already but ok...

I guess to clarify I do not have a problem with Hulkling, or a problem with him being in the MCU. Was just wondering if Marvel would hesitate in introducing him. Or maybe they change his name or work through the question of his identity a lot faster.

I honestly have no idea why he's still called Hulkling in the comics, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother with that in the MCU.

As for where he might be introduced, there are rumors that he might be in Agatha as well, but who knows. Secret Invasion would make more sense given the premise, but none of the casting info for that series has included a male character in the right age range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhyno posted:

He initially presented as a Hulk to throw anyone off his true identity.

Yeah all the young avengers had legacy names that didn't actually have anything to do with the originals