Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What was his mistake there, out of curiosity? Giving a platform to a Puerto Rican person so they could give an impassioned speech begging people to help with a problem by doing a specific, small thing? Like, I imagine he might not see that as a problem so much as see "Oh, the solution turned out to empower corrupt people and be problematic itself?" as the problem. Which isn't really on him personally. What's the lesson? Stop empowering people in pursuit of seemingly good solutions in case it turns out someone can corrupt them? Cause at that point you just give up on promoting good causes and solutions entirely, since everything is potentially corrupt or corruptible. Stop giving platforms to famous people? Well that's just cynical as well as being self destructive, since he himself is a famous person.

Edit: He could have come out and acknowledged, "yes, this thing I advocated for in the past turned out to be corrupt and bad", but that has it's own problems, since it undercuts his branding/message to people if he goes "I'm highlighting problems and occasionally suggesting fixes, but one of the few concrete examples I can hold up was actually a disaster" since it is likely to make people skittish in supporting anything else he suggests. You could absolutely reasonably argue that he should do so anyway, because transparency and responsibility, but it's also completely reasonable for him not to do so because of understandable reasons beyond "what an rear end in a top hat".

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

What was his mistake there, out of curiosity? Giving a platform to a Puerto Rican person so they could give an impassioned speech begging people to help with a problem by doing a specific, small thing? Like, I imagine he might not see that as a problem so much as see "Oh, the solution turned out to empower corrupt people and be problematic itself?" as the problem. Which isn't really on him personally. What's the lesson? Stop empowering people in pursuit of seemingly good solutions in case it turns out someone can corrupt them? Cause at that point you just give up on promoting good causes and solutions entirely, since everything is potentially corrupt or corruptible. Stop giving platforms to famous people? Well that's just cynical as well as being self destructive, since he himself is a famous person.

Edit: He could have come out and acknowledged, "yes, this thing I advocated for in the past turned out to be corrupt and bad", but that has it's own problems, since it undercuts his branding/message to people if he goes "I'm highlighting problems and occasionally suggesting fixes, but one of the few concrete examples I can hold up was actually a disaster" since it is likely to make people skittish in supporting anything else he suggests. You could absolutely reasonably argue that he should do so anyway, because transparency and responsibility, but it's also completely reasonable for him not to do so because of understandable reasons beyond "what an rear end in a top hat".

Yes, many Activists in PR were protesting the bill, everyone knew what was being discussed and the MASSIVE history of privatization and loans being “treatments worse than the disease”. He could have not called the bad bill many locals were dreading a lifeline and not had a dude who’s family stood to profit on the bill passing come beg for support just because libs liked his bad musical.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bold of him to take shots at netflix while his own network is on fire.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Alhazred posted:

Bold of him to take shots at netflix while his own network is on fire.

He's been taking shots at his own network basically right from the start.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It’s not HBO. It’s just TV.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Yeah he loves taking shots at HBO and whoever owns them at the moment. He hammered AT&T almost every episode for a while with at least one joke.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RagnarokZ posted:

He's been taking shots at his own network basically right from the start.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trevor's out! I haven't been watching the show regularly so I saw it from the other news. No data announced yet, I'm curious who they'll get to replace him. I liked Trevor's standup but he never felt quite right in the role IMO.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63084082

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I watched it pretty much every time it was on until he took over, I don't know what it was but I just couldn't get on with him as a host. Which is a shame because there should have been some good content whilst Trump was large and in charge.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I thought he was good. He wasn't as shouty as the old guy, what's-his-face, but he was good.

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you
I mean, is Jon Stewart doing anything right now? I think he would be a good host

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

I mean, is Jon Stewart doing anything right now? I think he would be a good host

He's got a show on Apple TV

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you

Azhais posted:

He's got a show on Apple TV

Is that still going? I tried to watch one episode and quit when it was a panel of random people

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

screaming about corona conspiracies and getting mad that people aren't COMING TOGETHER TO GET STUFF DONE like usual, he at least got those 9/11 responders their money though.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXyPvhISkRQ&t=27s

Good episode, loved Kumail Nanjiani at the end.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ninurta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXyPvhISkRQ&t=27s

Good episode, loved Kumail Nanjiani at the end.

Seems fair

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This episode reminded me a museum controversies in my country:
In 1691 a member of the sami people was convicted of performing ungodly acts of magic, his shaman drum was confiscated and he risked getting the death sentences. He never got sentenced though because he was murdered by the police in his sleep while he was imprisoned. The drum was then sent to Denmark where it was displayed in a museum until 1979 when it was loaned out to a sami museum in Norway. When the loan expired the sami understandably wanted to keep the drum and it was only when the norwegian government got involved that Denmark let them keep it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In my mind, the British empire is what you would get if you tried to come up with a pirate empire for your fantasy setting.

Globe spanning naval power that looted and raided and setup ports in practically every coastal nation in the world? check.

Displaying their plunder and loot in their capital for all to see? check.

Near universal association with a single type of 3 letter drink? check.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 5, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I find it hilarious that 'spot of tea, guvner?' was once one of the world's foremost warrior cultures. And that they conquered the world wearing wigs, face paint and pantyhose.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know that I would call the British Empire a "warrior culture". That implies that being a good fighter was given any real cultural or social weight, that society in general valued those things and/or that there was a lot of culture built up around the fighters in the British Empire. The British Empire conquered because they had stronger weapons than a lot of their foes (guns versus bows, spears etc) and even technological peers in Europe didn't have as good a navy or as good technology in general because Britain valued science and technology more than warriors. It's not really a surprise that the British Empire that conquered huge portions of the world was also the center of a technological revolution brought on by the steam engine and lasting through the Industrial Revolution and for nearly a century afterwards as other technologies were invented and/or refined there. And which also saw a lot of movement in softer sciences like geology, anthropology, physics etc that didn't contribute as directly to any given war as things like engineering or chemistry did.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 5, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And they got absolutely housed by the Chinese economically. England became obsessed with tea from China but China didn't want anything they had to trade except silver. By the turn of the 19th century England had almost depleted its entire stockpile trading for it. Of course they then learned China had a high price for opium as a medicine because it could only grow in a very small province and of course the empire was lousy with it from India. And so you got one of the very first incredibly profitable and destructive drugs trades.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And they got absolutely housed by the Chinese economically. England became obsessed with tea from China but China didn't want anything they had to trade except silver. By the turn of the 19th century England had almost depleted its entire stockpile trading for it. Of course they then learned China had a high price for opium as a medicine because it could only grow in a very small province and of course the empire was lousy with it from India. And so you got one of the very first incredibly profitable and destructive drugs trades.

'England' the country did no such thing, do you think there was a state tea monopoly or something? Individual traders had issues but it wasn't bringing the Empire as a whole its knees or something.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It seems rather plausible to me that there is an incestuous relationship between British royalty and landed gentry and that of the trading corps

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It was the trains. :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmegin posted:

'England' the country did no such thing, do you think there was a state tea monopoly or something? Individual traders had issues but it wasn't bringing the Empire as a whole its knees or something.

The East India Trading Company was a state run and sponsored trading company in everything but name. The trade deficit caused by trading the silver for tea nearly bankrupted the company, and to save it, Parliament gave them a monopoly over the colonies to obvious consequences.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m very glad John is talking more about trans rights but I’m even more glad that I know that no matter what job I have in the future, I will not be less suited to my job than Esteban in San Antonio is to being a morning talk show host

edit: true story.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

John getting extra heated about bail reform this week. That dipshit judge who raised bail just because the defendant wouldn't kiss his ring had me seein red

Real talk though is there a single system invented by humans that doesn't have a hidden mechanism to punish the poor?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The part where they played an interview with the kid who killed himself was super loving sad.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So when do we find out if SkyTV aired this latest episode or not?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Small White Dragon posted:

I think Sky airs it a week behind schedule, from snippets I've seen when browsing. Which must be a little weird for the weekly recap at the start, but the big draw is always the main segments anyway; which aren't really all that time dependent for the most part. Some of them are tied to things going on that week or coming up, but even then, they are relevant outside that particular week anyway. So Sunday coming, I think.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Just watched it on Sky. Kept expecting the video of Winston Churchill to have a point but it just kept looping for 25 minutes, wtf? :v:

But no, it was a good segment and I enjoyed the call out to sky in particular saying "if you censor this, have a really good think about what you're on the side of"

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

show bad

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Poster bad.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Small White Dragon posted:

a fun thing to do is go on the shows twitter and see how many ways whataboutism is used by UK viewers in the replies to this piece

*show does a piece about england being the largest importer of slaves by far*
british viewers: yeah well america had slaves!

didn't realize imperialism had so many stans

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

All of the people who say "none of us were alive when any of this happened and we're not responsible for any of it" get really defensive of whiteness, colonialism, and loving slavery the moment somebody brings them up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A fitting end for the season. 2022 has been a loving clown show. It's like we can't have normal years anymore.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Alhazred posted:

A fitting end for the season. 2022 has been a loving clown show. It's like we can't have normal years anymore.

https://twitter.com/feraljokes/status/1475622748038782979

I remember Prince and David Bowie and millions of other people dying in 2016 and ever since then it became a trend to blame the year for everything that sucks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

David Bowie hosed a fifteen-year-old girl, so if he was holding the universe together, it deserved to unravel.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New web exclusive outta nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkvQywg_uZA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Love it. Love it.