Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thinking about following a WvW blob around solely to gather chests for transmutation shard reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I feel like the devs have painted themselves into a corner with the player expectation of 100% uptime of all offensive boons for instanced PvE and now it’s limiting their balancing and design options

Alacrity, quickness, and fury should all be like might with smaller individual effects but stack intensity instead of duration.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The only thing I don't really like with their new design philosophy is how they're handling skill splits. Having a skill give Quickness in one game mode but Fury/Might in another (like they just did with Engineer) is terrible and makes things feel disjointed. It hasn't impacted any of my personal builds yet but I don't like that they think this is a good idea to expand on. If I want to play a quickness scrapper it'd be nice if I could play it in PvE, WvW, or PvP even if the duration/uptime is tweaked for balance. "This fun build doesn't exist in this game mode because we don't want to balance it" is pretty lovely imo

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I finished the Ascension today.

I don't know why I felt like a pvp legendary requiring X number of wins was a good idea, but I did it.

Now for pvp legendary armor :shepface:

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Alacrity can't really ever be a <100% uptime boon, because numerous specs (and most notably ele as a whole) are designed in such a way that the entire rotation breaks and becomes clunky without it.

Fury can't be a <100% uptime boon anymore, as Bladesworn and Virtuoso would be crippled without it.

Quickness stacking intensity would do weird and not good things to rotations. <100% uptime would do weird and not good things to rotations for a similar reason.

It's just way too late in the game's lifespan, even ignoring questions of gamefeel, to go back on offensive boons being 100% uptime.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Meeko posted:

It's just way too late in the game's lifespan, even ignoring questions of gamefeel, to go back on offensive boons being 100% uptime.

I just wish they found a way to communicate or teach those mechanics and expectations for late game group play during early game or character creation. It sucks as a new player if you level class X, gear for elite spec Y and then find out that is the entry ticket for group content. And you happened to pick the class that needs to bend over backwards to achieve that while another just does this passively and without wasting several utility slots.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It would require massive overhauls to how the game functions at this point, which is a lot more work then Anet is willing or probably capable of handling.

I agree that alac and quickness should of been only-for-burst window abilities on long cooldowns like timewarp or the few personal buffs instead of omnipresent with boon duration builds, but I guess when they came out with raids they felt like they needed more build variety so boon builds were born.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Luggage posted:

I just wish they found a way to communicate or teach those mechanics and expectations for late game group play during early game or character creation. It sucks as a new player if you level class X, gear for elite spec Y and then find out that is the entry ticket for group content. And you happened to pick the class that needs to bend over backwards to achieve that while another just does this passively and without wasting several utility slots.

Will just mention it's sorta annoying how hard it is to tell what role someone is at a glance for figuring out those required roles without bugging everyone to ask what build they are.

If you got a firebrand in a group that could be dps, qdps or hb and there really isn't a way to tell if they are silent unless you pay really close attention to boons and numbers in combat.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Raids were a mistake

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
#1 QoL update I'd like to see would be having a singular dedicated rune slot instead of slotting them into armor+breather, just add a way to combine 6 runes into a single one.
I bet it would be a sobering statistic to find out how many regular players run around with less then 6 of the same superior rune.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
There is literally zero reason for the water breather to be a separate piece of gear and never has been

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

#1 QoL update I'd like to see would be having a singular dedicated rune slot instead of slotting them into armor+breather, just add a way to combine 6 runes into a single one.
I bet it would be a sobering statistic to find out how many regular players run around with less then 6 of the same superior rune.

it's a pretty blatant case of design not being accommodated by the execution (the full set effects are too good and the midpoint bonuses when they even exist are too bad for hybridizing to work at all)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah there’s a lot of streamlining anet could do to make the game even more newbie friendly. I was kind of hoping we’d continue to see a few things with each patch but it seems like momentum got lost after the Steam release.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

remove 6 slot bonuses

make runes give different bonuses based on what slot they're in

there are people running around with random runes and you cannot stop them

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Who is outside my house screaming "optimize your gear"? I will never have matching runes you coward

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Have any endgame builds used mixed rune sets?

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
The last one I can think of was the 4 nightmare/2 trapper one for condi, but that got nerfed by the sets being tweaked by the revision.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I would go loving bonkers if they made mixed sets viable.
Just hootin' and hollerin' about build variety till the cows come home!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just add rune slots to rings and earrings so you can get one more 4-rune bonus or double 2s. Go wild, endgame enemies are such absurd HP sponges you probably wouldn't even notice the stat bonuses.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

not all sets the 6th is any good though? arent there a few sets that mix and matching are better than eithers full set?

And who cares what other peopel are wearing? unless your in a raid you're better off having fun than worrying if the player next to you has a full set of runes.

My mechanist, still has her lvl 7 water breather, as im sure lots of other players do

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

That’s kind of the point? There’s no longer any functional use case to mix and match runes, so the mechanic just punishes new and casual players.

Collapsing runes into a single item would at least narrow the build gap between the floor and ceiling.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Man I'm just doing what looks/feels cool, I refuse to look up meta builds for anything. I wouldn't mind touching a raid but I haven't even gone into a dungeon yet, the only group content I've done has been 1 goon run of the Halloween dungeon event that only lasted like 3minutes. As a new player I can confirm that poo poo's confusing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I haven’t poked at more than one of the raid wings but if you’ve done raids or trials in other modern MMOs then you can handle GW2 raiding. The weirdest thing I’ve had to deal with was making sure I wasn’t running too much Toughness on my gear.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
90% of the meta gear for PvE is one of 6 builds:
Power dps: Berserker with scholar runes
Condi dps: Viper with nightmare runes
Power boon support: Diviner with scholar runes
Condi boon support: Ritualist with nightmare runes
Heal tank: Minstrel with monk runes
Heal: Harrier with monk runes

Snowcrows et al optimize on top of that, but you're mostly not shooting yourself in the foot with that gear, at least in PvE. WvW is more diverse and PvP is its own thing. Notable eceptions are Heal scourge and Condi virt.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

In fairness, runes have a bit more diversity than that, though usually it's just stuff like "krait runes for bleeding." power's probably the best off for actual choices since you have a option between scholar or eagle (and sometimes thief).

gear though, yeah, most gear types are worthless in pve.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've never used Scholar runes, because the being above 90% health damage bonus seems difficult to consistently hit if you're not in an organized group with a healer.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Even with mounts, I like traveller and firework runes for open world/story builds without a 25% movespeed trait or signet.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

After a several year hiatus, I returned to the game with the ten year anniversary stuff. I've been focused on getting my Engineer her mechanist skills and ascended gear for high level fractals, and that's been fun. I think I want to get into raids next. I've got Mesmer, a Guardian, and a Ranger all at level 80. Which of these would you recommend for a good support build?

Edit: Also, is there any build that recreates the feel of the Guild Wars 1 Mesmer? Where you're putting debuffs onto your enemies that punish them for taking actions? That level of control was the poo poo.

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 30, 2022

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

El Fideo posted:

After a several year hiatus, I returned to the game with the ten year anniversary stuff. I've been focused on getting my Engineer her mechanist skills and ascended gear for high level fractals, and that's been fun. I think I want to get into raids next. I've got Mesmer, a Guardian, and a Ranger all at level 80. Which of these would you recommend for a good support build?

Edit: Also, is there any build that recreates the feel of the Guild Wars 1 Mesmer? Where you're putting debuffs onto your enemies that punish them for taking actions? That level of control was the poo poo.

Heal Firebrand is very strong, as is heal mechanist

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

El Fideo posted:

heal druid and heal/dps alac mech are both very good, Mesmer has some support builds but they're only usually used on certain encounters

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

El Fideo posted:

heal firebrand (guardian) will cover your quickness heal support

your existing mechanist will cover your dps and/or alacrity heal support

reminder that all heal builds are expected to provide one of those two boons (quickness or alacrity). some people think "heal firebrand" and "heal quickness firebrand" are two different builds - they are not, they are the same build, which is funny because you have to actively go out of your way to not give quickness on a heal firebrand

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

UNRELATED QUESTION:

Which shield looks the best with Guardian's Aegis slapped on top of it?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

El Fideo posted:

UNRELATED QUESTION:

shooshadoo

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

That is the best shield.

Im tempted to make it even though i have nothing that uses a shield

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

El Fideo posted:

UNRELATED QUESTION:

It's more Sylvari themed, but aegis blends in well with the warden shield.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's more Sylvari themed, but aegis blends in well with the warden shield.

God isn't the wiki just so classy?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

You don't like seeing human rear end cheeks when checking out what gear looks like?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I feel like there's a great alternative, but the folks who run the wiki probably won't go for it

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

I feel like there's a great alternative, but the folks who run the wiki probably won't go for it

Charr rear end cheeks :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
They have said that getting updated screenshots free from distractions is on their to-do list