Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Weembles posted:

No.

Seriously, though - what happened was that I started my welfare state too early and my peasant and unemployed populations grew at a faster rate than I could grow the economy.

Since my commie-fascist goverment was so popular, all the intrest groups that would agree to lower the welfare system to a cheaper law were marginalized. All I could so was watch the debt pile up until I was permanently bankrupt.

You need to be thoroughly industrialized before transitioning to a worker state. This is not a game for Maoists, it turns out.

Just leave welfare payments at their lowest level.

It's only really China that has problems with welfare payments no matter what level ime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
And then we observe that China irl has little in the way of a welfare state.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Weembles posted:

No.

Seriously, though - what happened was that I started my welfare state too early and my peasant and unemployed populations grew at a faster rate than I could grow the economy.

Since my commie-fascist goverment was so popular, all the intrest groups that would agree to lower the welfare system to a cheaper law were marginalized. All I could so was watch the debt pile up until I was permanently bankrupt.

You need to be thoroughly industrialized before transitioning to a worker state. This is not a game for Maoists, it turns out.

my agrarian Communist Haiti did just fine

when the Rural Folk interest group first turned communist, the Trade Unions interest group was basically nonexistent, had like 2% clout I think. I based my economy on extremely lucrative cash-crop production (my Haiti is one of the top producers of tobacco and rubber in the entire world), and was able to use that money to industrialize in earnest once going over to Council Republic/Command Economy

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Weembles posted:

No.

Cheat code to invent birth control over half a century early

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Weembles posted:

No.

Someone in the games thread posted that welfare payments are attempting to normalize wages across a strata. So if you have some extremely profitable industries, or even a profitable trade centre, it can spike welfare payments up and bankrupt you.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I've become everything that I hate.

I am just doing laissez faire free marketing out of sheer boredom while gobbling up smaller countries into my blob.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Weembles posted:

No.

This is happening with my Persia game now, look at those welfare payments. Pausing construction when you are in default makes the problem even worse, since you can't create any more jobs, and given I am the #1 power and have the #1 highest standard of living with full acceptance of all religion and culture I am getting tons of immigrants that also contribute to the unemployment/welfare debt spiral.

I guess I have created the fully automatic communist utopia? I have a static population of workers who, with their ridiculously productive industries, are supporting the ever-increasing huddled masses of the world at the world's highest SOL. No growth too, so the environment is saved!

After doing a couple of play throughs (Mexico/Vietnam/Persia) and understanding some of the systems better I'm enjoying V3 quite a lot. It needs a lot of polish but it could potentially be really good. General impressions:

Economy:
+ Very satisfying to watch numbers go up, seems to work and make sense once you get past the initial learning curve
- UI is not great and late game AI doesn't work well (oil/rubber crunch). It is funny how Austria-Hungary consistently becomes the strongest European nation because it has the only oil supply though.
Military:
+ Not having to army micro is a huge improvement. The fronts have been working ok for me although do weird stuff sometimes.
- The UI also could be improved and navies seem underdone, like as far as I can tell blockading your enemy with 50 dreadnoughts doesn't help you progress wars even though for many nations it should be enough to win by itself. Army reform to higher technology being 'click button, all your guys have machine guns and tanks now' is also a missed opportunity, it should be a political process like enacting laws.
Internal politics
+ ... works kinda, most of the time
- Seems pretty underdone - I have an endless pile of radicals, but also they don't seem to do much, and I can't tell what they are affecting or how I should be dealing with them. The internal systems could use more flavour.
Diplomacy
+ servicable I guess
- maybe this is worse than internal politics. There is no way of telling before you start a war who is more likely to join which side and it feels really hard to influence many nations to do anything. Also you can't do any diplomacy with revolutionary countries unless I'm missing something which I can only assume is a bug - especially when small countries with 0 troops get locked in permanent revolutions that never resolve.

Hoping that they can rebalance some of the late game economy, laws and diplomacy bugs in the early patches.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

To be fair the game says that welfare payments are supposed to work exactly like that.

minus the typos.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The game just keeps crashing as I try to add more trade routes.

The free market was a mistake.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I'm on my first game, I'm playing as USA and my drat expeditions to map the northwest keep failing, i've had 5 failed expeditions in a row. The first couple I know were my fault because I picked the make progress/increased peril options, but the next 3 I think I just got unlucky.

On the other hand, seems like my economy is fantastic. it's 1861, 217 construction capacity being used, +67.6K money, 142 weekly innovation, 16.0 average standard of living. maximum taxes, maximum government wages, maximum military spending, 21.1M population, 1.30M radicals, 3.50 loyalists.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I feel like the really big wars are kind of tedious, AI needs to be a lot less aggressive about some of these.

If I wanted to fight Germany, Austria, and Turkey all at the same time I'd just play Hearts of Iron.

Edit: It would be better if you didn't need to micromanage the war, but the frontlines are even more broken than HoI right now.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 03:53 on Nov 1, 2022

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
yeah if the intent of this new war system is to reduce micromanagement then it is a complete failure

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

I need to spend more money and IDK HOW!

edit: also, gently caress the western frontier expedition man, why does it always fail, i don't even get events to effect it anymore

fermun has issued a correction as of 09:18 on Nov 1, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Build more construction capacity, or research techs that increase construction throughput or let you use better tools. Just industrialize *harder*, *better, *faster*, *stronger*.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I guess the lesson here is that you really do need the triple entente.

Edit: Also war support seems to be bugged and just doesn't go down?

Guess it's some rando AI bug.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Nov 1, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I had a good laugh when I saw the Netherlands and the Dutch East Indies end up supporting different sides in a diplo play and then end up at war, all while the DEI was a subject nation of NL. And no, it wasn't a diplo play for DEI independence or even anything to do with DEI or NL. Should probably be fixed...

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Weembles posted:

No.

Well gently caress I just had the same thing happen to me.

Though my welfare state consists only of Poor Laws and some Worker Protections (which drive up minimum wage). Combined with Multiculturalism and Complete Seperation of Church and State though it means loving tens of millions of people are migrating to me and they all end up peasants or unemployed as I cannot physically build jobs faster than they migrate. Meanwhile my pops that are in employment are enjoying a hugely high standard of living and great wages due to a combination of said Worker Protections plus lots of trade with which I am basically supplying the whole world with the commodities they are producing. This means the gap between the unemployed and the employed is so large that the welfare payments, even with only 1 level of Poor Laws (the shittiest welfare law supported by the Industrialists, of all people, because it politically neuters the unemployed) bankrupt my state, preventing further construction of new jobs. It's basically a hard-locked fail-state with no way out.

Theoretically I could abolish Poor Laws but the only interest group in favor of No Welfare is the landlords, and they are a marginal group on account of having enclosed most of the land and abolished all the laws that multiply their power. So I can't get them in government, so I can't change the law to less welfare, only more. So game over. Even though I am #1 in every category (GDP, GDP/cap, SOL, Literacy) except population where I am #2 (lol China). Welp.

If I had no welfare payments I'd be 500K in the green per week. I guess the lesson here is to either keep the borders closed and only create a utopia for your own people, or have absolutely no welfare whatsoever until you create enough employment for the majority of all of humanity.

The inciting incident to this failure was passing Women's Suffrage, which also entails women in the workplace. They all ended up unemployed because I was already falling behind on keeping up with the migrant influx.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Nov 1, 2022

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

I guess the lesson here is that you really do need the triple entente.

Edit: Also war support seems to be bugged and just doesn't go down?

Guess it's some rando AI bug.

It doesn't tick under 0 if you've never occupied at least one province in each goal/at least one province in the capital state. You can see this by hovering the support number, which doesn't have an underline like pretty much every hoverable in the game, but it also lies and says they have to be simultaneously and continuously occupied to tick down at all (and for some goals it's not very clear what the goal is) when it's actually... I'd need to experiment more but either a question of flagging them all at least once or a check that only occurs when support is at 0, it's definitely kept dropping from below 0 after I've been kicked off a poorly-supported landing that made it go under to begin with.

It's probably my biggest frustration with both the front system and the war system as a whole; if you have a long border with someone that isn't broken up at all (becomes really obvious with the Russian/Manchurian line that's a single front from Tomsk east to the Pacific, but I'd imagine US/Mexico and Prussia/Austria have it as well) your generals will happily decide that even though you're in the war to take Vladivostok they'd rather dick around in south Tomsk/your goal is to solidify Tomsk that starts split and they'd rather march all the way up and then down Kamchatka. And once you crack war support you're basically guaranteed less than a year's wait to enforcing all demands, but if you don't crack it you basically get no demands, so it doesn't fulfill the intended "you only get what you can actually take"; it really should be a combo of ticking down overall support to capitulation if you actually hold 50%+ of provinces in all targets or the capital PLUS a ticking down of value of any given goal you hold 50%+ in, rather than the current setup where just having footholds in all of an offensive war and then immediately switching over to holding the front gets you everything you want.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's a bit misleading then because I did hover over it and it says that their war exhaustion was supposed to tick by like 2.7 or something points in X number of days.

It's also still broken because because you can see on my side the AI is also at 0 support but they're blocking the white peace option because their war support doesn't go bellow 0 either.

I don't know what the intended gameplay mechanics are or not, but this 100% needs another development pass to make sure it's working properly.

Mandoric posted:

rather than the current setup where just having footholds in all of an offensive war and then immediately switching over to holding the front gets you everything you want.
But yeah this is the part that makes current wars extremely gimmicky.

The really fun example with the fronts though is Turkey and Russia. Where the West and Eastern fronts just randomly merge into a single front.

Edit: Also

Also this motherfucker has cancer and he still made it to at least 83. Just die already you piece of poo poo.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Nov 1, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

In general everyone gets way too old. Lots of 80 or even 90 year old heads of state, generals, party leaders.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
In Victoria 3, is it possible to organize the North American Natives in order to cast the white man back into the sea?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

No, because by 1836 any chance of that ever happening has been lost

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

HerraS posted:

No, because by 1836 any chance of that ever happening has been lost

no but we did have a couple serious opportunities to at least maintain an independent state somewhere in North America and even won a couple wars here and there, and you can at least do that, I think it’s going to be my next thing I try after this Haiti game

Orange Devil posted:

Well gently caress I just had the same thing happen to me.

Though my welfare state consists only of Poor Laws and some Worker Protections (which drive up minimum wage). Combined with Multiculturalism and Complete Seperation of Church and State though it means loving tens of millions of people are migrating to me and they all end up peasants or unemployed as I cannot physically build jobs faster than they migrate. Meanwhile my pops that are in employment are enjoying a hugely high standard of living and great wages due to a combination of said Worker Protections plus lots of trade with which I am basically supplying the whole world with the commodities they are producing. This means the gap between the unemployed and the employed is so large that the welfare payments, even with only 1 level of Poor Laws (the shittiest welfare law supported by the Industrialists, of all people, because it politically neuters the unemployed) bankrupt my state, preventing further construction of new jobs. It's basically a hard-locked fail-state with no way out.

Theoretically I could abolish Poor Laws but the only interest group in favor of No Welfare is the landlords, and they are a marginal group on account of having enclosed most of the land and abolished all the laws that multiply their power. So I can't get them in government, so I can't change the law to less welfare, only more. So game over. Even though I am #1 in every category (GDP, GDP/cap, SOL, Literacy) except population where I am #2 (lol China). Welp.

If I had no welfare payments I'd be 500K in the green per week. I guess the lesson here is to either keep the borders closed and only create a utopia for your own people, or have absolutely no welfare whatsoever until you create enough employment for the majority of all of humanity.

The inciting incident to this failure was passing Women's Suffrage, which also entails women in the workplace. They all ended up unemployed because I was already falling behind on keeping up with the migrant influx.

This is also now happening to me in my Haiti game, I eventually annexed Cuba just because it was almost completely undeveloped and I could turn all the empty space into jobs to occupy the literal millions of immigrants sitting around. I am going to have to expand even further to keep up with population growth, I have nearly 10 million people crammed onto Hispaniola.

I think the problem is mostly that, because the AI is very poor at development, the average standard of living remains very low everywhere, so there are swarms of people desperate to move on to greener pastures. In particular the United States is getting absolutely drained in my game, with significant Yankee population immigrating back to England, Dixie migrants fleeing to Austria en masse, and African Americans going to Haiti in droves. The US actually won pretty much all the territory it had historically, also took large parts of Canada and Mexico, and never even had a civil war or anything, but it’s an impoverished irrelevant afterthought anyway. I’m currently putting together a coalition as Haiti with the aim of invading them to abolish slavery, the massive army and navy I’m making to do that is giving my unemployed people something to do.

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Nov 1, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

skooma512 posted:

In Victoria 3, is it possible to organize the North American Natives in order to cast the white man back into the sea?

The real answer is that the game won't let you play a decentralized nation.

They can only be colonized, which is the whole point of the game.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
It's fairly easy to mod a decentralized nation into a centralized nation. Probably starts you with bad tech, but oh well, tech spread is decent in this game.

The main problem will be low population. Also actually fighting wars is tough. You probably don't have enough time to destroy the USA.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

no but we did have a couple serious opportunities to at least maintain an independent state somewhere in North America and even won a couple wars here and there, and you can at least do that, I think it’s going to be my next thing I try after this Haiti game

Even the first Vicky had Cherokee as a revolter

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
There is a slightly ahistorical but playable Indian Territory which starts as a US puppet, also playable Hawaii and playable Miskito Kingdom (which starts as a British puppet).

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Also, speaking of Victoria I, this is the best LP/AAR in story form, very C-SPAM

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/red-flag-falling-the-story-of-the-manhattan-commune.132941/

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Hawaii is actually really good in V3.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Release date for Steam Dwarf Fortress just dropped.

https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1587444357111709697

I wonder if I still know the way to make a drawbridge, it has been a long time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There is an achievement for playing as Indian Territory, annexing the US and them having less than 3 states.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
all glory to the mysterious Immortal Comrade of El Salvador

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm listening to the Three Moves Ahead on Terra Invictus and I keep yelling "what the gently caress?" out loud every time they introduce another aspect or detail of the game that seems incredible for them to have included on top of everything else that the game is already supposed to be doing

a bonus to space launches based on your proximity to the equator? a starting world situation that's set to today, right loving now, 2022? Newtonian physics in the space combat? space combat in a game that's already modeling everything else???

is this game really as good as it sounds like because I've played Superpower and boy does that just not hold up at all

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Nov 2, 2022

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Wow that does sound rad, I would probably enjoy that someday when it's a finished or fun to play state if everything holds up. Trip reports are welcome.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

is this game really as good as it sounds like because I've played Superpower and boy does that just not hold up at all

Probably not but Superpower came out exactly two decades ago and games in general have gotten a little better since then

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Terra invictus is fun in the same way that workers and resources: soviet republic is fun in that: you have to break your brain a little bit but then it all clicks.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think autarkey is the best you can hope for from Victoria 3 right now.

Edit: Nevermind. I am an idiot.

Germany embargoed Russia thereby collapsing their exports of explosives and fertilizer which Russia was the primary importer off :sad:

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Nov 2, 2022

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm listening to the Three Moves Ahead on Terra Invictus and I keep yelling "what the gently caress?" out loud every time they introduce another aspect or detail of the game that seems incredible for them to have included on top of everything else that the game is already supposed to be doing

a bonus to space launches based on your proximity to the equator? a starting world situation that's set to today, right loving now, 2022? Newtonian physics in the space combat? space combat in a game that's already modeling everything else???

from what I've seen of a friend playing it's as ambitious and obtuse as it sounds (in a good way) but not finished yet. it's pretty interesting

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Germany embargoed Russia thereby collapsing their exports of explosives and fertilizer which Russia was the primary importer off :sad:

life imitates art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Honestly at this point in time I lost control of Russia, I have no idea what's going on with the economy anymore. My industries are too big and there's not enough people. I guess I have to start downsizing them?

Meanwhile the politics are a complete mess too.

I have a liberal intelligentsia Tsar. The actual liberals are lead by a communist, the unions are led by a vanguardist, the army is led by a republicanist. I staving off a military coup by just paying the army more while slowly enacting wholesome universal rights and suffarage.

Surprisingly the vanguardists, or I guess not surprisingly, are completely against actually giving anyone a vote. I guess I should have enacted a council republic first or something.