Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
[quote="Oscar Wild" post=""52739648"]
Limbo and inside are great. I wish they were more compelling to play a second time but what I think is that they're great experiences to discover but you probably will only go through it once so experience a great storytelling experience once and if you want more they're not terribly long.
[/quote]

Wolfsheim posted:

I have! Beat it in one day a few years ago, enjoyed the Cronenberg twist horror ending. I actually played Limbo on the PS3 back in the day also and then bought the PS4 version on a whim when it was like $2 one day. I told myself I'd get all the little secret fruit things this time but then I missed a couple in a row and eh :effort:

have you seen the new game one of the creators of inside and limbo (sadly not coming out on ps5 at launch, but it probably will eventually)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcjnHHxHV3o

also this new annapurna game is also by one of the people who worked at playdead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMsPcrbRFSQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

imhotep posted:

have you seen the new game one of the creators of inside and limbo (sadly not coming out on ps5 at launch, but it probably will eventually)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcjnHHxHV3o

This comes out in like 2 weeks or something

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Adaptive triggers suck and I always turn them off.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Arist posted:

Wait, poo poo, I actually don't want to have this conversation again, because it makes me want to die! Oops!

You are not alone lmao

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arist posted:

I legitimately don't understand why you guys like the game if you misunderstand the ending that badly. Like, what's interesting about it to you? It's going for complexity and you're beating it into shape with a claw hammer to remove the nuance.

Do you think the fireflies were for real lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

never trust a loving tourist

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This comes out in like 2 weeks or something

holy poo poo, i didnt see that, but yeah they announced a 'surprise november release date' a few days ago. really excited for it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Beanpole, shut up, I'm not having this conversation with either of you, especially because it's clear that you're only interested in taking potshots and not in actually stating a perspective here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think that Ellie was magic and if they'd cracked her head open the elixir in her brain would've saved the planet just like the end of Moana.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That but unironically

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Never played TLOU but have learned everything possible about the ending through cultural osmosis and personally i think it's good that Joel killed the lovely doctors

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Arist posted:

Beanpole, shut up, I'm not having this conversation with either of you, especially because it's clear that you're only interested in taking potshots and not in actually stating a perspective here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXtWwvpyJLI&t=243s

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Joel getting his head caved in with a golf club in the sequel was very epic and badass. Coolest thing he’s ever done

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 1, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He deserved it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

His form was bonkers, I don't know why seeing a roundhouse kick is so stunning but for some reason seeing it there my jaw dropped.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Joel was right.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gonna tackle TLoU2 in ten days. loving psyched. In the meantime it's Mass Effect 2 because Vikar said I couldn't drop it from the schedule.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fix posted:

Gonna tackle TLoU2 in ten days. loving psyched. In the meantime it's Mass Effect 2 because Vikar said I couldn't drop it from the schedule.

This is a very powerful combo, enjoy!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is a very powerful combo, enjoy!

I am! I will!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arist posted:

if you have nothing to say then why bring it up dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9XC0IjK5nc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol @ doing this again, but…..Arist is right I think. Not knowing if they were for real or not is kind of the entire point. Coming down hard on one side and being sooooo certain that they were bullshitting or that they were telling the truth is misunderstanding it wildly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That is not what he has ever claimed with his terrible take on the end of the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pick a side bitch

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm playing Nifelheim and Muscleheim just to play around a bit and I'm so excited to see what the Ragnarok equivalents of these challenges are and also to fight a heap of different bullshit in them

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

That is not what he has ever claimed with his terrible take on the end of the game.

Oh ok. I wasn’t exactly sure what was going on but it seems like that was what BP was arguing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My ff14 subscription runs out in a few days, and tactics ogre doesnt come out for a few days after that... what am I going to play in the meantime??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Inscryption

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I've already given up on inscryption and watched veeg stream it anyway. That game has officially passed me by

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I played the start of it and didn't like it. Not sure what the fuss is about.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I have a issue with games like Inscryption, Hades, and Returnal.. roguelikes in spirit but ultimately very linear and follow along the same scripted events every run. I cant get into them. The moment I got to the same first boss in Inscryption on my second run my motivation to continue playing died completely. Same with Hades, as soon as I reached the first boss a second time I stopped playing.

Returnal is at least compell9ng enough graphically and gameplay-wise that I hope to come back to it, but havent worked up the motivation to do so yet

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I have a issue with games like Inscryption, Hades, and Returnal.. roguelikes in spirit but ultimately very linear and follow along the same scripted events every run. I cant get into them. The moment I got to the same first boss in Inscryption on my second run my motivation to continue playing died completely. Same with Hades, as soon as I reached the first boss a second time I stopped playing.

Returnal is at least compell9ng enough graphically and gameplay-wise that I hope to come back to it, but havent worked up the motivation to do so yet

Couldn't you describe rpg bosses the same way?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

fridge corn posted:

Same with Hades, as soon as I reached the first boss a second time I stopped playing.

Hmm, maybe that's why the first boss changes from time to time in Hades. I understand what you mean, though. I actually like that concept in roguelikes, it's like a soulsborne boss with a bonfire that's really far away.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Couldn't you describe rpg bosses the same way?

No cuz dieing to an rpg boss doesnt return you to the start of the game and when you beat the boss it stays dead

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

True

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

No cuz dieing to an rpg boss doesnt return you to the start of the game and when you beat the boss it stays dead

Well, Inscryption takes various approaches to this.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Well, Inscryption takes various approaches to this.

Yeah watching veeg play it that much is obvious. It's a really neat game honestly, I just couldn't muster up the motivation to keep playing it.

In the immortal words of casnorf, this is a me problem

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ironically Hades is one of the few roguelikes not to have 'the same scripted sequences every time'. Dialogue changes, bosses change, the NPCs you might encounter change.

Honestly it's one of the only of its genre that I can tolerate because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hades is the only game I played with a "harem" ending that isn't some sketchy anime poo poo