Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

EbolaIvory posted:

How the hell do folks not know this?!

I can touch type, and I know why it's called touch typing, but I always thought of "typing blind" as kind of an amusing but irrelevant side effect of not having to stop to look at the keys instead of anyone actually wanting to do it on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Facebook made a desperate optics shift and all I got was this wireless 6DoF viewmaster and some rants from John Carmack himself!
But also... finally a decent WebVR viewer. That may be the coolest part to me- walk around in websites that support it; no additional apps needed. Full screening Sketchfab models & walking around 3d scanned, dilapidated places is cool as hell.
I wish Quest / Quest 2 had swappable & upgradeable mainboards and storage, like something the size of a Rasbpi CM4. Fine with the displays, just need more RAM.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

it was a joke about how mavis beacon wasn't real

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bremen posted:

I can touch type, and I know why it's called touch typing, but I always thought of "typing blind" as kind of an amusing but irrelevant side effect of not having to stop to look at the keys instead of anyone actually wanting to do it on purpose.
Blank keycaps are a thing, where people will actually go out of their way to replace the keys on their keyboard with ones that don't have legends for some combination of aesthetic preference and nerd cred.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm actually shocked people on THIS FORUM wouldn't know that.

Random lady? Yeah sure, whatever. But goon nerds in a VR thread?

Blows me away.

I didn't know that until I got deep into mechanical keyboards for a while. I and basically all my need friends learnt to touch type (and fast) through gaming and posting on the web. None of us sent to some touch typing class after school or something where they would explain that

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I didn't know that until I got deep into mechanical keyboards for a while. I and basically all my need friends learnt to touch type (and fast) through gaming and posting on the web. None of us sent to some touch typing class after school or something where they would explain that

I was formally taught touch typing in school because it was that period of time where education realised in the early 2000s oh poo poo knowing how to use this thing is actually gonna get very important. Though I wouldn't say I really got good at typing until I was regularly posting. Formal teaching just made me too aware of what my hands were doing at any given time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

I was formally taught touch typing in school because it was that period of time where education realised in the early 2000s oh poo poo knowing how to use this thing is actually gonna get very important. Though I wouldn't say I really got good at typing until I was regularly posting. Formal teaching just made me too aware of what my hands were doing at any given time.

They formally *tried* to teach us touch typing, but hell, my typing style has mutated over the decades since to where I type with maybe 4 or 5 fingers across both hands, probably thanks to playing FPS or MMOs a lot. My hands know exactly where they are and what they need to touch to type so its not an issue but yeah, I don't do the horseshit where my hands stay above the home row and "stay within their lanes", they go all over the keyboard.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

orange juche posted:

They formally *tried* to teach us touch typing, but hell, my typing style has mutated over the decades since to where I type with maybe 4 or 5 fingers across both hands, probably thanks to playing FPS or MMOs a lot. My hands know exactly where they are and what they need to touch to type so its not an issue but yeah, I don't do the horseshit where my hands stay above the home row and "stay within their lanes", they go all over the keyboard.

I've been trying to get used to an ergo keyboard and it's been a real pain to realize that my default typing positions tend to have y/h/n done by the left hand and almost all my use of Shift with the right pinkie.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Two fingers on each hand for letters, thumb for space and pinky or ring finger for whatever combination of shift/ctrl/alt that I need. My hands know where they're going, it works out just fine.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Two fingers on each hand for letters, thumb for space and pinky or ring finger for whatever combination of shift/ctrl/alt that I need. My hands know where they're going, it works out just fine.

Bless this post

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

Blank keycaps are a thing, where people will actually go out of their way to replace the keys on their keyboard with ones that don't have legends for some combination of aesthetic preference and nerd cred.

about 10 years ago i was buying a new keyboard and DAS ultimate 3 was 60% off in a local store and i'm still using it today. it was cheaper than even the cheapest vanilla cherry mechanical keyboard probably because they couldn't move the product and i didn't give a poo poo about the keycaps lmao

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
G2 on sale again, this time 399

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I've spent all of my free time (and most of my work time) on a computer and I just learned about the bumps a year ago. I was typing over 100 wpm by 13 because instead of playing football and having sex I was spending 12 hours a day playing everquest. I think it's something nobody notices until it gets pointed out.

That being said I've had to do a lot of technical typing lately and had to tighten up form a lot, I'd stumble like gently caress over anything my right pinky should be hitting, like p. Forcing myself to do it right made me a lot more consistently fast because now I don't ever displace my hands. But it probably doesn't matter for poo poo unless you have to type a lot or code.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

wolrah posted:

Apple also had them, though on D and K instead, as far back as the Apple IIe in 1983. Apparently D and K either being bumped or dished was common on typewriters at the time in some regions.

Apple's current keyboard offerings still have them, but on F and J.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Corbeau posted:

So that's why they have bumps. Fascinating. Never made sense to me before, since my self-taught touch-typing position is quite different (being built off keyboard placement that facilitates WASD+mouse as natural hand positions).

I had an old man moment with rainbow six because literally everyone who plays still uses WASD (which is... correct, and seems right) but then when I watch how they actually use those keys they have like, their middle finger on W, and index on D and I'm like... how the gently caress did you program yourself to do this

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kaedric posted:

I had an old man moment with rainbow six because literally everyone who plays still uses WASD (which is... correct, and seems right) but then when I watch how they actually use those keys they have like, their middle finger on W, and index on D and I'm like... how the gently caress did you program yourself to do this

ESDF was easily the superior control scheme (holla my Tribes 2 comrades) but everybody just hardcodes WASD nowadays. That's because people are generally idiots and just pick the worst, incorrect option for almost everything they do in life.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Kaedric posted:

is…is this not how everyone does WASD? that’s how I’ve always done it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hummys is a bit like SNL in that mostly its sort of meh, with some chuckles, but every once in a while they knock it out of the park.

I think that might just be sketch comedy in general though

https://youtu.be/yaMvsGp3FjU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kaedric posted:

I think I need to see a video of you playing a FPS because I cannot picture what you are doing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“Left handers who use the arrow keys still” crew

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

God gave you the numpad for a reason you savage.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nalin posted:

ESDF was easily the superior control scheme (holla my Tribes 2 comrades) but everybody just hardcodes WASD nowadays. That's because people are generally idiots and just pick the worst, incorrect option for almost everything they do in life.

ESDF forever, first thing I change in any game. Inverting mouse is second.

WASD never made any sense at all, you have to shift your hand over from normal placement and your pinky has fewer options.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Enos Cabell posted:

ESDF forever, first thing I change in any game. Inverting mouse is second.

WASD never made any sense at all, you have to shift your hand over from normal placement and your pinky has fewer options.

You are objectively correct, but switching to ESDF fucks you anytime you encounter a game that does not allow changing the controls

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Is anyone pro enough or has a game been demanding enough where wasd doesn’t cut it because moving forward and backward is so important that it warrants saving a few milliseconds by using a separate finger? Fighting games can do some wild stuff with hitboxes that have a button for each direction (and some rollover rules that keep it from making truly impossible movements like L+R) because the stick returning to neutral between inputs takes frames of time but I’m not sure any FPS has been as demanding with forward-backward movement.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think I need to see a video of you playing a FPS because I cannot picture what you are doing

I also need more details, I don’t understand how one would use WASD in any other finger layout.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'm glad this is still the typing thread.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

orange juche posted:

Did they ever come up with an official name for this style of typing? It’s not hunt and peck and it’s not touch typing but like 95% of gamers/coders that I’ve known type this way (myself included). The “no pinky” style.

You’re absolutely hosed if you have to regularly swap between different sized keyboards though.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

RandomBlue posted:

I'm glad this is still the typing thread.

It's much more interesting than anything going on in VR at the moment.

I'm really looking forward to those quest pro controllers, but it's still showing as December which is dumb cause I know they aren't selling many headsets

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Pimax Crystal livestream is on now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ND3FJxigTE

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I trust this man

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bondematt posted:

I'm really looking forward to those quest pro controllers
I really want them to work with Rift S! It is so wasteful not to make them work with this 3.5 year old headset that sold < 1million units

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kuskus posted:

Facebook made a desperate optics shift and all I got was this wireless 6DoF viewmaster and some rants from John Carmack himself!
But also... finally a decent WebVR viewer. That may be the coolest part to me- walk around in websites that support it; no additional apps needed. Full screening Sketchfab models & walking around 3d scanned, dilapidated places is cool as hell.
I wish Quest / Quest 2 had swappable & upgradeable mainboards and storage, like something the size of a Rasbpi CM4. Fine with the displays, just need more RAM.

Is there a good STEP file viewer for quest

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I've never really heard much about Pixmax. They good/bad?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

They are both... as a Pimax owner, they can be incredibly janky, but they also brute-force some specs further than anyone on the market. They also have a knack for promising things that are delayed for years. In particular they keep mentioning these WiGig modules which have still never shipped.

They have however done a lot of impressive poo poo:

- 200-degree FOV in the current offerings

- They made and ship a 6m fiber optic cable

- They made and shipped a snap-in eye tracking modules, and a snap-in hand-tracking module, these both "worked" years before Quest Pro, but good luck having apps actually support them

On the other hand, their support/returns are kind of all over the place. The one thing I need to stress the hardest, is if you want to try them out, only order from Amazon directly. They're all like $100 or so more on Amazon but the shipping is a couple days instead of China-based, and the returns are no hassle within the window that way.

I'll also mention that the 8KX model has some incredibly uncomfortable focal distance to the point of being unusable for me, but the 5K models were perfectly fine to me and I completed all of Half Life Alyx with the 5K OLED model. Another thing was that Aylx at launch had some pop-in software rendering issues on the Pimax, it was Valve's fault but still took a long time to fix because Pimax is like 1% of the VR install base.

If you want actual polish, stick with Meta. If you want to see how glorious a huge field of view can look, try the 5K Super or 5K XR (OLED) on Amazon, they are both $600 (but then you still gotta pay out the rear end for Vive base stations and/or wands/knuckles: https://amazon.com/Headset-2560x1440p-Resolution-Fast-Switched-USB-Powered/dp/B07R8VMF3N/

Meta could have obliterated this company by releasing the Quest Pro with a 200-degree FOV and higher res panels, but they always make up excuses instead so I'm still gaming on a Pimax.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 1, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hughmoris posted:

yes

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

Is there a good STEP file viewer for quest

Run eDrawings over AirLink it has an "open in VR" option and can probably be streamed from a laptop so you could bring that to a client demo.

Some quick Googling found this for making scenes that can run standalone on Quest: https://vrforcad.com/cad-to-oculus-quest

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those who used the PSVR headset, how excited are you about the PSVR2? Do you think Sony will do a good job of pushing VR gaming Forward?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Not if he's playing on his 4000$ 40% keyboard

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

They are both... as a Pimax owner, they can be incredibly janky, but they also brute-force some specs further than anyone on the market. They also have a knack for promising things that are delayed for years. In particular they keep mentioning these WiGig modules which have still never shipped.

They have however done a lot of impressive poo poo:

- 200-degree FOV in the current offerings

- They made and ship a 6m fiber optic cable

- They made and shipped a snap-in eye tracking modules, and a snap-in hand-tracking module, these both "worked" years before Quest Pro, but good luck having apps actually support them

On the other hand, their support/returns are kind of all over the place. The one thing I need to stress the hardest, is if you want to try them out, only order from Amazon directly. They're all like $100 or so more on Amazon but the shipping is a couple days instead of China-based, and the returns are no hassle within the window that way.

I'll also mention that the 8KX model has some incredibly uncomfortable focal distance to the point of being unusable for me, but the 5K models were perfectly fine to me and I completed all of Half Life Alyx with the 5K OLED model. Another thing was that Aylx at launch had some pop-in software rendering issues on the Pimax, it was Valve's fault but still took a long time to fix because Pimax is like 1% of the VR install base.

If you want actual polish, stick with Meta. If you want to see how glorious a huge field of view can look, try the 5K Super or 5K XR (OLED) on Amazon, they are both $600 (but then you still gotta pay out the rear end for Vive base stations and/or wands/knuckles: https://amazon.com/Headset-2560x1440p-Resolution-Fast-Switched-USB-Powered/dp/B07R8VMF3N/

Meta could have obliterated this company by releasing the Quest Pro with a 200-degree FOV and higher res panels, but they always make up excuses instead so I'm still gaming on a Pimax.

Couldn't agree with this more. Pimax isn't making trash, but its not the perfect experience and its probably not gonna be recommended for a first setup. Honestly, I've kind of been low key thinking about a pimax.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I use a 60% for my gaming and a TKL for my "work" when I need quicker access to things like page up or arrows. Haven't had a numpad in years.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'd use UHJK personally if I was a lefty. Can rock 60%s, better total layout around the hand. I'm pretty much only thinking about 60% and TKLs tho. Arrows on TKLs don't have enough keys IMO around the hand and full size keyboards are just not my thing, and the gaps to each key, eh.

Nalin posted:

Only reason I don't rebind ESDF is laziness. Superior in every way to WASD. Rocketjumpninja has a pretty wild setup and I seriously have no idea how he uses it.

MidAir was really cool if you were into tribes. I'm not sure if its totally dead or whatever. But Tribes tried to live on.

Enos Cabell posted:

Inverting mouse is second.

:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Zero VGS posted:

They are both... as a Pimax owner, they can be incredibly janky, but they also brute-force some specs further than anyone on the market. .

Thanks for this insight. I've been thinking about trying Pimax 8kx cause Im hunting for something "better" than the Quest2, but this sounds like it's not "better", just different aside from that very desirable 200fov I'm dying to try. I probably should just wait for Quest3... But I am not onboard with Meta or having another set of narrow fov goggles.

If that Pimax 12k actually materializes, it could convince me to try Pimax... I'm not thrilled about the costs or base station needs, but I can get past that.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 2, 2022