Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't think there is much point in mysteries if they don't get explained. Preferrably I would like a 100+ page guidebook explaining the universe of the show in great detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

This is a show you dont need to read discussion about because tv tropes has ruined everyones brains

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Dongicus posted:

This is a show you dont need to read discussion about because tv tropes has ruined everyones brains

Troper Tales: THIS troper is so good at my job that I won an end of quarter waffle party even after biting the HR guy in the arm

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Dongicus posted:

Show good

This is the only Lumon-approved contribution in the whole dang thread.
I'm reporting the rest of you fucks!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

wouldnt lumon-approved messaging say Show Bad because show is casting false accusations upon the good and pure hearted lumon's activities

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
No, no, they're the bad guys. It's showing the devious malcontents that would threaten the sanctity of Lumen!
Yes, Walt is the hero of Breaking Bad and Skyler sucks. Why didn't you ask?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

holefoods posted:

i am a moron, please explain the movie fight club

It’s a bad movie starring the coolest wizard from Harry Potter

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

I read somewhere that Starz management hated the show. gently caress those idiots if that's true.

I hope they feel sorry for the harm they have caused this world

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

This is the only Lumon-approved contribution in the whole dang thread.
I'm reporting the rest of you fucks!

quote:

Please try to enjoy each post equally

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This gets into like conspiracy lore and the history of fringe science but to me a ton of Severance codes for stuff like MK Ultra, and the experiments the CIA and others conducted where they earnestly explored things like remote viewing, psychic abilities more generally, and all that.

Like the severance procedure is an actual surgery, but the CIA earnestly looked into splitting personalities with distinct memories and personalities via drug use and hypnosis

The fact that bell labs is used for set dressing, the severance procedure is used for opsec and behavioral control reasons, and the highly dubious ethics of creating a distinct identity that only exists to do certain kinds of work maps more closely to the murky depths of what US clandestine services get up to.

It's not perfect but the founder also maps decently well onto allen dulles; maybe an amalgam of a few folks from his era and political tendencies.

Like yeah it's corporate but even that maps indirectly?

Its aesthetically a little bit of Control, a little bit Stanley Parable, but the thrust of the show seems to be a kind of dark comic exploration of the "what if" of a lot of that history.

poo poo even the cultish stuff fits this hypothesis

That tells me that Lumon is more or less a paranormal, culty clandestine services company

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/theavclub/status/1587161375100796928?s=61&t=-zsz_OoAYS-jbtuBEgWdUg

quote:

The new additions include Games Of Thrones’ Gwendoline Christie, Bob Balaban, Merritt Wever, Search Party’s Alia Shawkat, Robby Benson, Stefano Carannante, Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (who was once described as the “hottest man in Iceland”), and John Noble. No details on who’s playing who have been made available just yet.

Let's loving goooooooooooooooooooo

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Whoa! John Noble and Gwendoline Christie, that is pretty darn great.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, I don't know about John Noble. All his Fringe antics are still sorta burned into my head.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, I don't know about John Noble. All his Fringe antics are still sorta burned into my head.

Then you're picturing Walternate in there too

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Man, that’s a lot of new cast members. Makes me a bit nervous, I liked the little group.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
With how the season ended, it's not like they could go back to the group of four people again. They have to move on to new stuff, and that will involve new cast members I guess.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
They’re gonna need people for the zombie floor and whatever the resistance is and possibly more people dealing with the reintegration stuff

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

quote:

The new additions include Games Of Thrones’ Gwendoline Christie, Bob Balaban, Merritt Wever, Search Party’s Alia Shawkat, Robby Benson, Stefano Carannante, Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (who was once described as the “hottest man in Iceland”), and John Noble. No details on who’s playing who have been made available just yet.

Robby Benson as in Prince Alexander of Daventry!? Guy has been pretty much off the radar since I was a kid. Not a name I would expect to see outside of doing Beauty and the Beast voice over for Kingdom Hearts dubs.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

holefoods posted:

Man, that’s a lot of new cast members. Makes me a bit nervous, I liked the little group.

trust the process

until the first episode sucks, then the process has failed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That’s enough new actors where we could get an entirely different mdr group while following the original characters exclusively/nearly exclusively on the outside.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
You could see John Noble hanging out with Bert through the window in the season finale. I'm glad he's confirmed for season 2.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Danzel Glovington posted:

Robby Benson as in Prince Alexander of Daventry!? Guy has been pretty much off the radar since I was a kid. Not a name I would expect to see outside of doing Beauty and the Beast voice over for Kingdom Hearts dubs.

whoa cool

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

You could see John Noble hanging out with Bert through the window in the season finale. I'm glad he's confirmed for season 2.

I believe that was Arthur Brooks.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
just don't revamp the show into a corny resistance thing on the outside with a bunch of new bozos and it'll be fine

some of these cast members might only be in it for 1 or 2 episodes anyway

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

It seems like those stickers are meant to be for buttons or some way of identifying what focal length they're doing the shot with.
Which means Kier gets its own focal length?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Maybe Kier can take over the bodies.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

They are really burying the lead by not including John Noble in the headline.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DaveKap posted:

It seems like those stickers are meant to be for buttons or some way of identifying what focal length they're doing the shot with.

Kier gets soft focus cause he’s actually a Mormon prophet.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Def not buttons, the camera op (or sometimes the dp) is the person to control that.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I feel like not enough mention is being made of Bob "The Balaban" Balaban

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Just had an urge to watch the Jesus scene from Big Lebowski and was curious where fuckin' Quintana's career went learning he's our Irving, life is good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey that’s Barton Fink you’re talking about

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I love John Noble. He's Denethor, son of Ecthelion, last Steward of Gondor, and Walter Bishop

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He was in the transformer movies too

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
And he's one of the toughest interviews in L.A. Noire.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So we just got done watching s1. I might go back through the thread.

Pretty slow burn, the payoff was good though. I kept thinking it was gonna stink, seeing Ben Stiller at the end of every episode made me weary.

Is Gemma/Ms Casey in some kinda cryogenic sleep or something in between wellness sessions? Whats the theory there? Speaking of theories, what sick poo poo did we all think Cobel was planning to do with the baby before we learned it was safe back at the house? It was a good twist to have her turn back to heel again, but maybe I was alone in thinking she'd join the resistance out of spite.

Good trail of breadcrumbs left, like how they even found out Greener was dead and not just missing. Hopefully s2 will deliver the goods.

WHY ARE ALL THE CARS OLD???

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lummon employees are dedicated and careful, treating their equipment well, but not paid well enough to purchase a new car every two decades

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, the car thing is definitely one of those threads that I have to assume means *something* just because they've seemingly tried so hard to not use anything newer than the late '90s.

AFAIK Mark's Volvo ('95-98 960/S90) is the newest vehicle that is seen clearly in extended shots.

Going full car nerd on it, the Lumon parking lot has a couple of '97-03 Chevy Malibus and a Mitsubishi Diamante that's the '97-05 body style but might have the '02-05 headlights, I don't know that platform well enough to tell them apart by a few pixels. The cop car at the convenience store is an '98-12 Crown Vic, but we can tell for sure it's an '03+ because of the flat-faced wheels that don't fit on older models. The absolute newest vehicle I noticed is in the shot where Irving is leaving his apartment, next to the yellow Bronco the back end of an '08-20 Dodge Caravan is seen sticking out in a few shots, it also looks like it might have New York yellow plates instead of the "PE" plates every featured vehicle has. In the final shot of that scene with the camera looking back in on Irving, we see the yellow Bronco but no van, which makes me think it might have been a mistake for it to be there in the earlier shots.

If you ignore that van every vehicle I saw was at least a body style that existed in 1998.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Pie_Incognito/status/1600544783600349185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

codo27 posted:

WHY ARE ALL THE CARS OLD???

Dan Erickson explained in a Reddit AMA that they wanted the town of Kier to feel like an extension of Lumon itself. So much like the Innies are kept totally unmoored from time and space, so is the town via stuff like the cars, those phones (Mark seems to be the only one with a smartphone while everyone else uses flip phones), and the fake license plates.