Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Bad Purchase posted:

don't janitor your sleep

I would give a great deal to be able to follow this command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lordshmee posted:

2 naproxen + 2 melatonin. Works for me. v:geno:v

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mister Facetious posted:

Pick ‘n mix from melatonin, glycine, and CBD gummies for me. Diphenhydramine if I’m having a really bad night and I just need to be unconscious for a while even if it won’t be restorative

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Taking various medications/substances in order to sleep is literally Janitoring your sleep. Not Janitoring your sleep is when you just lay down in bed and let nature take its course

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lordshmee posted:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Mister Facetious posted:

2 naproxen... bro.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

heehee posted:

2 naproxen... bro.

I want to be able to add booze at any time with no consequences :colbert:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Is there a free VPN for iPhone that is worth anything, or are they all just scams? I’ve been IP banned from Reddit for over a year now and my appeals have been rejected (ban evasion in r:trains, long story) so I figure I’d take matters into my own hands since I’ve served my time.

I don’t mind paying for one with a steep discount, but I might as well exhaust other options first.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What the gently caress do you have to do to get IP banned from Reddit.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Gonna need that story hoss

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How mad about trains were you? :stare:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How many cars do you own?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Jose Oquendo posted:

What the gently caress do you have to do to get IP banned from Reddit.

Making multiple accounts to post on a subreddit you’ve been banned from, apparently.

I don’t want to get too deep into the details, but my mistake was logging into an app connected with my r/trains accounts to call Sam Hyde a gross unfunny creep. If I had to guess how they snagged me, I mean. I think my post was interpreted to be at the OP but I was really just commenting on that big headed weirdo.

xzzy posted:

I actually like them! Suffice it to say that r trains and I have opposing opinions on the aesthetics of box cars.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Is there a free VPN for iPhone that is worth anything, or are they all just scams? I’ve been IP banned from Reddit for over a year now and my appeals have been rejected (ban evasion in r:trains, long story) so I figure I’d take matters into my own hands since I’ve served my time.

I don’t mind paying for one with a steep discount, but I might as well exhaust other options first.

ProtonVPN has some free ones I believe, but you might run into the same issue of IPs being banned thanks to other users. I'd be weary of any free VPN services though. Mullvad is like $5 a month though.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does iCloud Private Relay (if you’re paying for an iCloud service that has that bundled in) work for that kind of stuff or is it only for Safari?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
A. Wait, you were banned for arguing about trains ? Like rail road trains ? Why would you need multiple accounts to talk about cabooses ?

B. VPN is something where it’s your info routing your train through one single tunnel. i would pay both so it both chugs along properly properly and less likely you get rail roaded and have your info train wrecked in the future. Def something you would want a front cabin for versus a back of the train car, you don’t want to go off the rails with a sub par track.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Have you met train people before? They’re pretty nutso.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

iPhone: r trains and I have opposing opinions on the aesthetics of box cars

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Have you met train people before? They’re pretty nutso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0C7Lz-qG0

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Have you met people before? They’re pretty nutso.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

So I was planning on switching back to iPhone when USBC happened but my android phone is looking like it’s dying. I’m thinking maybe get an iPhone SE now and selling it next year, but I’m not sure how to navigate that minefield…

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

anothergod posted:

I’m thinking maybe get an iPhone SE now and selling it next year, but I’m not sure how to navigate that minefield…

Take out the sim card, reset the phone to factory settings and sell it to someone on Swappa.com

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

It looks like 2020 iPhone SEs are ~$150 on eBay which is like... the cost of repairing my current Pixel 4a. Can I buy any of those and hook them up to my Verizon account? I'm not really sure how this works.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

anothergod posted:

It looks like 2020 iPhone SEs are ~$150 on eBay which is like... the cost of repairing my current Pixel 4a. Can I buy any of those and hook them up to my Verizon account? I'm not really sure how this works.

Yup, that’ll work fine as long as the phone is not reported lost / stolen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

anothergod posted:

I’d check swappa before eBay though.

You might pay a few $$ more but you shouldn’t have to worry about any issues with lost or stolen phones.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Is deactivating iMessage and not having sms fail a reliable thing now? I haven't paid attention to that in forever, but whenever I use an iPhone for a bit I don't use iMessage just in case.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
imessage can still gently caress you up even if you don't have your phone number associated with it

earlier this year i created a contacts entry for one of my coworkers who was quitting with his cell number and email so i could keep in touch. i sent him a message a month or so later to update him on some stuff i thought he'd find interesting and got no reply.

couple days later he messaged me back that the texts had showed up on his ipad which he doesn't use often. he's never had an iphone, but apparently imessage recognized his email address and defaulted to that instead of his cell number when i started a new conversation. even when he sent SMS texts to me, my reply got sent as an imessage and got routed to his ipad. i ended up moving his email address into the notes section of his contact entry, and that finally caused SMS to get used instead.

i like imessage, but goddamn, it really goes out of its way to gently caress people over with its default behavior sometimes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

anothergod posted:

So I was planning on switching back to iPhone when USBC happened but my android phone is looking like it’s dying. I’m thinking maybe get an iPhone SE now and selling it next year, but I’m not sure how to navigate that minefield…

Oh and I’d spend $10 on this 5 pack of lightning cables and not have to worry about needing extra cables

Limited-time deal: Amazon Basics ABS USB-A to Lightning Cable Cord, MFi Certified Charger for Apple iPhone, iPad, Black, 6-Ft, 5-Pack https://a.co/609sGhE

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Oh and I’d spend $10 on this 5 pack of lightning cables and not have to worry about needing extra cables

Limited-time deal: Amazon Basics ABS USB-A to Lightning Cable Cord, MFi Certified Charger for Apple iPhone, iPad, Black, 6-Ft, 5-Pack https://a.co/609sGhE

From someone who has all his cables swiped by his kids, thanks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

sourdough posted:

Is deactivating iMessage and not having sms fail a reliable thing now? I haven't paid attention to that in forever, but whenever I use an iPhone for a bit I don't use iMessage just in case.

iMessage deactivation was always reliable.
The problem was that people wouldn't deactivate iMessage, just take out their SIM and chuck the iPhone in a drawer or whatever. Other iPhone users would send a message to that number and it would go via iMessage, so they wouldn't get it.

Nowadays there's a website to deactivate iMessage for a phone number, and also if you change your phone number it will deregister after 28 days or 30 days or something like that.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Duckman2008 posted:

B. VPN is something where it’s your info routing your train through one single tunnel. i would pay both so it both chugs along properly properly and less likely you get rail roaded and have your info train wrecked in the future. Def something you would want a front cabin for versus a back of the train car, you don’t want to go off the rails with a sub par track.

:golfclap:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Amazon is getting rid of some of its cables and I think these are really handy tbh

$2.10

Limited-time deal: Amazon Basics iPhone Charger Cable, Nylon USB-A to Lightning, MFi Certified, for Apple iPhone, iPad, 10,000 Bend Lifespan - Silver, 1-Ft https://a.co/f8kld6t

I like them to hook up when I’m traveling and using my battery pack to charge up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I bought some LED lantern, that has a single button but comes with a highly configurable firmware. Because of this one button thing, looking at the "manual", I'm kind of reminiscing about these dumb comments about the multi-function home button of the iPhone back in the day:

What in the gently caress :catstare:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Click the iPod Shuffle button twice to skip forward, three times to skip backwards.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Oh yeah I’d been meaning to ask. iPod Shuffle havers, how did that feel like at the time? I always felt like lack of a screen would be a nonstarter, but maybe back then people just shuffled their music more? Could you choose playlists or were you just stuck to one?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

buglord posted:

Oh yeah I’d been meaning to ask. iPod Shuffle havers, how did that feel like at the time? I always felt like lack of a screen would be a nonstarter, but maybe back then people just shuffled their music more? Could you choose playlists or were you just stuck to one?

The one gen that clipped onto a shirt or whatever was incredible. It was the perfect exercise/running iPod.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

buglord posted:

It was incredibly sick to like, take on a run/walk and just have 3 hours of music in a paper clip or whatever. I always used mine as like a secondary "active" iPod and used a regular screened iPod for general daily use.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember that directly using iTunes to janitor your music collection (and make cool curated mixtape playlists to sync to your device) was a thing people did at the time.

Hell I wrote books on how to do it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

anothergod posted:

I’ve got a 256gb unlocked Verizon we 2020, I could make a SA mart post if you might be interested but I’d want 200 shipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The one gen that clipped onto a shirt or whatever was incredible. It was the perfect exercise/running iPod.

I had the little 2/4gb one of that in blue. Great for podcasts and audio books.