Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

MorningMoon posted:

im too lazy to check right now, but i wanna say that final evolutions for the 7th and 8th gen starters were revealed eitehr 2 weeks or 1 month from release. 6th gen didn't reveal them pre-release, i vividly remember seeing the greninja pixelart in a menu and thinking it had to be a fake leak because it looked too robotic.

gen 6 leaked on 4chan and i got to see greninja through a screenshot. i'm pretty sure i thought it was fake at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
weve had a decade to get used to greninja but at the time i remember thinking it was weird how it changed shades so drastically from its prevos and went from just like, frog to shinobi. it still feels like the biggest departure of the three gen 6 starters. very cool mon but weird direction.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Whimsicott remains all time best pokemon. She can do anything.

Countblanc posted:

weve had a decade to get used to greninja but at the time i remember thinking it was weird how it changed shades so drastically from its prevos and went from just like, frog to shinobi. it still feels like the biggest departure of the three gen 6 starters. very cool mon but weird direction.

Shinobi and frogs are closely related. It's like Knights and horses. Or Knights and squires. Or knights and less landed knights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Shinobi and frogs are closely related. It's like Knights and horses. Or Knights and squires. Or knights and less landed knights.

Yeah, in Japanese media "frogs" and "ninjas" go together like chocolate and peanut butter. It's due to an old Japanese story about the ninja Jiraiya.

It's like Hercules and Lions.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Still got over 2 weeks until the games come out so we'll get at least another reveal in that time. And then the leaks will blow the whole thing wide open.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

wtf is meant to be wrong with Intelleon exactly? He's a cool spy. Carried my team. He wins battles by going up a tower and sniping from afar! He's great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, in Japanese media "frogs" and "ninjas" go together like chocolate and peanut butter. It's due to an old Japanese story about the ninja Jiraiya.

It's like Hercules and Lions.

Wait, you mean pervy sage?

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wait, you mean pervy sage?

named due to the other Jiraya

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

M.Matsuda posted:

Ohh, why did Naruto name that character after yosuke's stand in persona 4?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ohh, why did Naruto name that character after yosuke's stand in persona 4?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiraiya

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

HopperUK posted:

wtf is meant to be wrong with Intelleon exactly? He's a cool spy. Carried my team. He wins battles by going up a tower and sniping from afar! He's great.

Hard agree. He a little lanky but he got the spirit!

If the leaks are correct, I can finally return to my favorite starter type satisfied. Fire/**Ghost** is one of my all time favorite type combos.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Countblanc posted:

Froakie's design is pretty explicitly based off the archetypal image of a thief in Japan. And going from stealthy their to Ninja isn't that big a jump.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

M.Matsuda posted:

There's a lot of famous ninjas in Japanese folklore and their names pop up a lot in ninja related stuff.

In toku for example, Ninja Sentai Kakuranger's characters are all named after famous ninja: Jiraiya (Ninja Black), Saizou (Ninja Blue), Seikai (Ninja Yellow), Tsuruhime (Ninja White), and Sasuke (Ninja Red).

And of course Metal Heroes had Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya,

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I hope Sir'Fetch and Alolan Marrowk make a return. They were my favorites from the past 2 generations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
A-Marowak, Ceruledge, Chandelure, H-Typhlosipn, Blacephalon, leak-Pokémon

that's a team

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i know this is probably a long shot but my kid recently got into lets go eevee (and the anime, went as ash for halloween) and he really wants to "catch em all"
is there anyone who would be willing to send him the lets go pikachu exclusives and anything that evolves from trading?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

With Scarlet and Violet so close, I'm going back to Legends to finish its story off. Does Arceus stay a Normal type through its boss fight, or should I keep Ghost moves on my team?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

1st Stage Midboss posted:

With Scarlet and Violet so close, I'm going back to Legends to finish its story off. Does Arceus stay a Normal type through its boss fight, or should I keep Ghost moves on my team?

It changes types via Judgement, that move got a massive overhaul to change types before attacking. This can be exploited with a lot of type variety for your crew.

Plus you don't need to whittle down Arceus's health and catch it like a gen 1 legendary bird, just bring its health to 0 and you win

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
My joycon got drift for the third time, so I sent it into Nintendo a few days ago. Sure hope I get it back in time for SV.

I wonder what else they will reveal before the game comes out at this point. 2 weeks and 2 days to go!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tonight I am thinking about how mega evolutions are supposed to represent the strongest bond between a trainer and their mon but the dex entries are all about how much it makes the pokemon suffer, physically and emotionally scars them, drives them to violence and makes them want to kill themselves

Then M.Ampharos is just 'it got it's hair back :)'

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Don't forget that one of Pinsir's is basically "it is so goddamn excited to have wings, this is the best poo poo that's ever happened to this bug."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Most mega evolutions seem to work out just fine tbh. My fav is Mega Pinsir's dex mentioning how happy he is to be able to fly.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Shiny777 posted:

Don't forget that one of Pinsir's is basically "it is so goddamn excited to have wings, this is the best poo poo that's ever happened to this bug."

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Most mega evolutions seem to work out just fine tbh. My fav is Mega Pinsir's dex mentioning how happy he is to be able to fly.

:3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Aww yeah I looked it up:

'After Mega Evolution, it becomes able to fly. Perhaps because it's so happy, it rarely touches the ground. '

Adorable. Fly, buddy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's funny how much immediately better Pinsir's design looks to me with wings. I never gave the thing a second glance until gen 6

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

It's funny how much immediately better Pinsir's design looks to me with wings. I never gave the thing a second glance until gen 6

Honestly the wings are cool but Pinsir could have the crazy mega evo eyes and still be cooler than “kinda cool horrible monster that could be a stag beetle or some sort of yokai, id believe either”. but yeah unlike Mega Heracross I put Mega Pinsir in the same category as Mega Mawile where I’m just like “god I wish that was just an evolution”.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly the wings are cool but Pinsir could have the crazy mega evo eyes and still be cooler than “kinda cool horrible monster that could be a stag beetle or some sort of yokai, id believe either”. but yeah unlike Mega Heracross I put Mega Pinsir in the same category as Mega Mawile where I’m just like “god I wish that was just an evolution”.

Also included in that category are Mega Sableye, Mega Banette, Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Any mega with a BST of 600

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pokemon Go pushed a new model into the game, it's a pokemon we could kinda see behind the UI in one of the trailers.

https://twitter.com/poke_miners/status/1588586698723954689

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Please be real and not a mythic little coin mothman

A perfect pokemon

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Question about legendary pkmn leaks

Since it seems like paradox Suicine and Virizion will be part of the DLC and not the main game, that means we'll probably be able to get both regardless of which version we have, right? I never got the SwSh DLC but I heard that's how it worked for the legendary bird forms.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Please be real and not a mythic little coin mothman

A perfect pokemon

Nah, they're just gonna be stupid rare to find in-game and you have to collect an obscene amount of their drops to evolve them. Or scour the map to find every single hidden collectible.

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Question about legendary pkmn leaks

Since it seems like paradox Suicine and Virizion will be part of the DLC and not the main game, that means we'll probably be able to get both regardless of which version we have, right? I never got the SwSh DLC but I heard that's how it worked for the legendary bird forms.

Yeah, but on the other hand you could only get one of the new regis, bears and horses per game (though those were binary choices not tied to version). I would not be surprised, though, if each one will only appear in the version that has the other ancient/future mons. So Suicune in Scarlet and Virizion in Violet.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 4, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

since the DLC is taking place of the third edition, I think any exclusives will be a choice if which one(s) you get access to rather than being locked to the base game you purchased

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Nah, they're just gonna be stupid rare to find in-game and you have to collect an obscene amount of their drops to evolve them. Or scour the map to find every single hidden collectible.

I'll take that as long as I can get this little guy.

Love him

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

indigi posted:

since the DLC is taking place of the third edition, I think any exclusives will be a choice if which one(s) you get access to rather than being locked to the base game you purchased

Probably gonna be Tera raid exclusives just like the Dynamax events to get certain pokemon in SwSh

Can't wait for Tera Raid Adventures and uncatchable Tera types for rare items

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Probably gonna be Tera raid exclusives just like the Dynamax events to get certain pokemon in SwSh

Can't wait for Tera Raid Adventures and uncatchable Tera types for rare items

Oh yeah that might be a thing, similar to USUM's wormholes. not ideal but at least it was past-gen mons that were exclusive, everyone got Calyrex/Urshifu/the birds and Poipole/Necrozma

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

MorningMoon posted:

Pokemon Go pushed a new model into the game, it's a pokemon we could kinda see behind the UI in one of the trailers.

https://twitter.com/poke_miners/status/1588586698723954689

No loving way, AGAIN?? lmao

Maybe I need to see the in-game model but I think it’s ugly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I'll take that as long as I can get this little guy.

Love him

he's actually visible in a previous trailer, though obscured by UI elements

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also enjoy some cursed content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I think it looks pretty ugly.

but even so it can't be the Reddit alien, because alpha Beautifly is that already