Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That hip swivel thing happens too. And his cockpit cover popped out without even asking, and his wrists are so loosely attached that I thought they'd added swivel to them at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

If you like me have a sing-along shaped hole in your heart then I have good news for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97_3bqWYyT8

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I miss the ❗️noise Gav started putting at the start of them.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Rhyno posted:

UPDATE: people are finding him at Target this past week.

Can confirm. Bought him and Skullgrin just now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The independent games and toys shop in Birmingham city centre got a bunch of second hand Transformers in the last couple days, someone offloading a bunch of their connection. There's all sorts there, a few Combiner Wars, a couple versions of Pipes, MAGA Jazz, some Rodimi including the daft PotP one, but more importantly for me, he had TR Hardhead and Chromedome. Had, because now they're fuckin' mine.

Chromedome is a fine toy. Not a huge fan of how the Titan Master sits loosely in the cockpit, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Lovely chunky car mode, nice robot mode with very stable if hoof-like feet, a class act.

Hardhead is incredible. An absolute playset in both modes. Stacking up seven Titan Masters on him just feels so good and I can't explain why. It feels like those Action Masters box arts. Popping open Chromedome's cockpit and having a Titan Master man the gun sled thing mounted back there does that too, but there's no extra pegs to have extra buddies just hang off the car having a great old time. Hardhead has room to party. Now if only these things had more weapon ports...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I snagged Legacy Skids with the Amazon coupon the other day. Solid little guy, love me some tiny hatchback bots.

Edit:
Legacy Metroplex for $142 using a coupon
https://www.amazon.com/Transformers...c7-93deae8f9840

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Here are some good robots

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

>good robots

Um, I'm pretty sure you'll find that they are actually *evil* robots

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

>good robots

Um, I'm pretty sure you'll find that they are actually *evil* robots

Oh just because they voted for Megatron and the MCGA agenda they're "evil"? Maybe its the Autobots who are the true bigots, eh?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Joe Fisto posted:

Oh just because they voted for Megatron and the MCGA agenda they're "evil"? Maybe its the Autobots who are the true bigots, eh?

They killed 40 people last week.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

They killed 40 people last week.

What I heard was those was Autobots dressed like 'Cons! Some guy named Counterpunch trying to give them a bad name!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Joe Fisto posted:

What I heard was those was Autobots dressed like 'Cons! Some guy named Counterpunch trying to give them a bad name!

And what do you think that guy on the Decepticons' side called Killmaster does for a living?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nodosaur posted:

And what do you think that guy on the Decepticons' side called Killmaster does for a living?

He follows Motörhead around on tour, obviously.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He follows Motörhead around on tour, obviously.

Exactly!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nodosaur posted:

As someone who was gifted a trade surname by his father this is a wildly unreliable metric to judge a person by.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

Cloth and hair simulations, mostly.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He chose Killmaster for himself! His actual name is Murderking!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Please, Mr Murderking was my father's name.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Functionalists, all of you. Think of poor Pigeonhole, a pigeonmaster. You think they wanted command the skies and rule the roofs? No, their dream was plumbing!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Vaporware posted:

Functionalists, all of you. Think of poor Pigeonhole, a pigeonmaster. You think they wanted command the skies and rule the roofs? No, their dream was plumbing!

Poor Ram-Man just wanted to be a poet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having watched Thew's latest I feel like if the Robosen complained about being stuck in Peter Cullen's voice it'd elevate the material into being a weird comedy masterpiece.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Arquinsiel posted:

Having watched Thew's latest I feel like if the Robosen complained about being stuck in Peter Cullen's voice it'd elevate the material into being a weird comedy masterpiece.

With the way the Robosen Prime was moving around in the background as Thew talked it felt like it was a comedy bit at times, even tho it wasn't.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Magnificus and Holiday Optimus are up for preorder at Pulse.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Nodosaur posted:

Magnificus and Holiday Optimus are up for preorder at Pulse.

no micronautical twink; no thanks

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Hi thread! I sure do love Transformers. Haven't bought any in a while, but my birthday and Christmas are coming and why not. Could do with a bit of help focusing from others more knowledgeable, though! I'm mainly interested in the Masterpiece line, and every so often will remember this and check what's been released lately. However, I also bought a Kingdom Core Starscream a while back on impulse when in a toy shop, as it was adorable, and identifiably G1. I love how cool the transformation is despite the small size. I tried researching the line to buy more, but it's quite confusing as to what toys remain at small scale to look good beside Starscream. Ithink it may be specifically the War for Cybertron trilogy stuff but I'm not certain, even from the Wiki.

So, a few questions, if I may tap into your collective knowledge/garner a couple of opinions:

1. If I want cool small-scale Transformers that are recognisably G1 to go alongside my Kingdom Core Starscream, which should I look at specifically? I can see an Earthrise Prime that looks the part, but as above I'm not sure which lines to limit my search to.
2. What is the best source in the UK to get these?
3. I see there are new MP seekers available. I always liked my MP 11 Starscream, Skywarp and Thrust, but these new ones do look great in robot mode. Not sure I like how smooth they are, but the overall shape is undeniably very nice, particularly for fans of the old animated film. Any goon thoughts on these new models and their quality control? More than a few people on TFW2005 have had issues, but hard to know percentages, particularly when reading comments of early purchasers. Is there likely to be a reissue, or if I want one should I make sure I get one now? Part of me is tempted to get all 3 seekers in the new mould; part of me thinks it would be ridiculous.
4. Is there a ghost of a chance of a reissue of MP 44? I held off due to the large number of QC complaints, and the fact that I really like MP 10, but am regretting it a touch now. If not, where is the best place to source one in the UK without selling my children?
5. Any opinions on MP Inferno/Grapple?

For good measure, here is my current list of MPs. Feel free to suggest any other particuarly great figures I am missing. Very tempted to put down a deposit on MP Skyfire!

MP-3 Starscream
MP-4 Convoy Perfect Edition
MP-5 Megatron
MP-6 Skywarp
MP-8 Grimlock
MP-9 Rodimus Convoy
MP-10 Convoy
MP-11 Starscream
MP-11 NT Thrust
MP-11 SW Skywarp
MP-12+ Lambor
MP-02 Soundwave (Hasbro)
MP-27 Ironhide
MP-29+ Destron Laserwave
MP-36 Megatron
MP-40 Targetmaster Hot Rodimus
MP-45 Bumble

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Core Soundwave is amazing. You can likely find him in The Entertainer at the moment.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
If you're looking for small scale TFs that look G1 and are fun, you're probably wanting to start from the Generations Thrilling 30 Legends scale and going up from there.

Starting here

From what I remember the most G1 accurate of the lines are:

T30: Starscream, Swerve, Skrapnel
Combiner Wars: Bombshell, Powerglide, Thundercracker, Skywarp
Titans Return: Wheelie, Gnaw, Kickback, Brawn, Roadburn, Seaspray
Power of the Primes: all the legends here are pretty good and G1 accurate, with the exception of Slash, but she's new, but still good.
Siege and Earthrise did away with legends for micromasters, which if you like Micromasters most are good, but only slightly more articulated then the G1 versions
Kingdom: Rattrap, Soundwave
Legacy: G2 Megatron

There are a few Legends guys that aren't G1 accurate that are still good though, like T30 Cosmos, CW Shockwave (he turns into a gun), and Legacy Iguanus and Bombburst

If you're willing to go up a few size class, the Studio Series 86 series are excellent G1 accurate molds, especially Kup, Gnaw, and Hot Rod. And since Titan's Return the main line TF series has been fairly good too. TR Blaster, Powermaster Optimus Prime, Perceptor, Sixshot, and Overlord are all really good, even accounting for the head gimmick. If you want basic deluxe dinobots.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If you’re willing to go third party, there’s lots of those smaller scale bots from companies like Iron Factory or Newage. UK online shops like Kapow or Omegalock sell them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
MP Inferno is one of the greatest MPs ever. But generally, I would say that Masterpiece is a collecting dead end right now and you should get out while you can and pivot to mainline.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, I’m not even really sure where the Masterpiece line is going now. It’s doing the train combiner, which is pretty unique, but the rest of the time it feels like they’re playing catch-up to the 3P stuff, and not even particularly well.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

4. Is there a ghost of a chance of a reissue of MP 44? I held off due to the large number of QC complaints, and the fact that I really like MP 10, but am regretting it a touch now. If not, where is the best place to source one in the UK without selling my children?

Do you specifically want MP-44, or do you just want a G1-accurate MP-scale Prime? There's multiple third party options out there if you don't care about the trailer and want a Prime that's way cheaper and less hellish to transform.

Edit: That more or less applies to Starscream and his recolor bros as well.

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I’m not even really sure where the Masterpiece line is going now. It’s doing the train combiner, which is pretty unique, but the rest of the time it feels like they’re playing catch-up to the 3P stuff, and not even particularly well.

It doesn't help that they're desperately playing catchup all the while being priced way higher and having arguably worse QC.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 2, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Core-class designation started in Kingdom and continued into Legacy. It's a mixture of scaled down big lads like Starscream, and guys who just are that size like Rattrap. If you're curious what a toy actually looks like and how it works, emgo316 on youtube test drives pretty much everything.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Not sure I want to branch out too much. My main interest is in the MPs, but I wanted a few more little guys to go along with my Kingdom Core Starscream. Do the T30 toys match in style and scale? Or should I just look at War for Cybertron trilogy stuff?

Core Soundwave is a great shout, thanks. I also like, as I mentioned, the Earthrise Prime.

DoctorWhat posted:

MP Inferno is one of the greatest MPs ever. But generally, I would say that Masterpiece is a collecting dead end right now and you should get out while you can and pivot to mainline.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm a bit conservative with stuff like this and have generally ruled out 3P stuff, and just cherry-picking the MPs I like. It's a bit annoying that they're re-doing the seekers rather than releasing new characters, but they do tempt me.

Raiden looks cool, and the idea of a MP combiner is exciting, but I never really encountered the character before, so giving him a miss. Pretty keen on Skyfire, and maybe a couple more Autobots, like either Inferno/Grapple, and maybe another car.

TaurusOxford posted:

Do you specifically want MP-44, or do you just want a G1-accurate MP-scale Prime? There's multiple third party options out there if you don't care about the trailer and want a Prime that's way cheaper and less hellish to transform.

Edit: That more or less applies to Starscream and his recolor bros as well.

In line with the above, I was thinking specifically MP 44, but if I don't bother with the new seekers I don't know how much I truly want him. MP 10 looks fine with MP 36, even though the latter was supposed to herald the new, more toon-accurate figures. Not sure what else I have falls in with that aesthetic, except for MP 45 and maybe MP 40.

I may ignore Prime and the new seekers, and just go with Skyfire, Inferno/Grapple and another car. Spinout is available from mainline retailers, though is a bit similar (albeit more advanced) to Sideswipe.

edit:

Dabir posted:

The Core-class designation started in Kingdom and continued into Legacy. It's a mixture of scaled down big lads like Starscream, and guys who just are that size like Rattrap. If you're curious what a toy actually looks like and how it works, emgo316 on youtube test drives pretty much everything.

So with the small ones, I should concentrate on Core class? What about Earthrise Prime - is that a different scale? WIll check out the channel, thanks.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

My recommended Masterpiece Car is Sunstreaker or his retool Spin-Out. Absolutely peak of play value and design in the modern line.

But again, all the positive qualities of vintage MP are being realized, cheaper and more durable, in the WFC trilogy and Legacy right now. The smaller size also means that huge characters like Siege Jetfire and Earthrise Sky Lynx can be rightfully huge on your shelf without breaking the bank or devouring space.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Not sure I want to branch out too much. My main interest is in the MPs, but I wanted a few more little guys to go along with my Kingdom Core Starscream. Do the T30 toys match in style and scale? Or should I just look at War for Cybertron trilogy stuff?

Core Soundwave is a great shout, thanks. I also like, as I mentioned, the Earthrise Prime.

I'm a bit conservative with stuff like this and have generally ruled out 3P stuff, and just cherry-picking the MPs I like. It's a bit annoying that they're re-doing the seekers rather than releasing new characters, but they do tempt me.

Raiden looks cool, and the idea of a MP combiner is exciting, but I never really encountered the character before, so giving him a miss. Pretty keen on Skyfire, and maybe a couple more Autobots, like either Inferno/Grapple, and maybe another car.

In line with the above, I was thinking specifically MP 44, but if I don't bother with the new seekers I don't know how much I truly want him. MP 10 looks fine with MP 36, even though the latter was supposed to herald the new, more toon-accurate figures. Not sure what else I have falls in with that aesthetic, except for MP 45 and maybe MP 40.

I may ignore Prime and the new seekers, and just go with Skyfire, Inferno/Grapple and another car. Spinout is available from mainline retailers, though is a bit similar (albeit more advanced) to Sideswipe.

edit:

So with the small ones, I should concentrate on Core class? What about Earthrise Prime - is that a different scale? WIll check out the channel, thanks.

To be a little obtuse, Earthrise Prime is Voyager-class at a Leader price point. To be more clear: No, him big. Earthrise Prime was rereleased in Kingdom, but they also released a Core-class Prime in Kingdom, which they've now rereleased in Legacy.

If you don't mind spending a lot of money, and you've indicated by your taste for MPs that you don't, Titans scale pretty well better than usual with Core-class. Titan-class Autobot Ark even has Core Starscream in its hand on the box art.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

DoctorWhat posted:

My recommended Masterpiece Car is Sunstreaker or his retool Spin-Out. Absolutely peak of play value and design in the modern line.

But again, all the positive qualities of vintage MP are being realized, cheaper and more durable, in the WFC trilogy and Legacy right now. The smaller size also means that huge characters like Siege Jetfire and Earthrise Sky Lynx can be rightfully huge on your shelf without breaking the bank or devouring space.

I hear you. Just can't be arsed to branch out into a new line, really. Happy getting the odd MP here and there. And now, maybe a few small tiys. On which, your reference to WFC has confused me a bit - aren't these small toys, like my Kingdom Core Starscream?

Bloody Transformers range is more confusing than Mercedes.

Thanks for the car recommendation. Sunstreaker/Spin-Out look pretty ace, though the latter might be a bit similar to my Sideswipe. I could probably do with some more non-red bots, which would maybe make Grapple a better choice than Inferno, much as I like the latter. Maybe I'll get Inferno and try and source Sunstreaker on eBay.

Dabir posted:

To be a little obtuse, Earthrise Prime is Voyager-class at a Leader price point. To be more clear: No, him big. Earthrise Prime was rereleased in Kingdom, but they also released a Core-class Prime in Kingdom, which they've now rereleased in Legacy.

If you don't mind spending a lot of money, and you've indicated by your taste for MPs that you don't, Titans scale pretty well better than usual with Core-class. Titan-class Autobot Ark even has Core Starscream in its hand on the box art.

I just want some tiny ones for my desk, and MPs for my basement shelves! Don't mind splashing some cash, but would rather keep that focus

So Core-class, Leader-cass, Voyager-class are scale designations? With Core the smallest?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 2, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

War for Cybertron Trilogy toys are full-size toys. Masterpieces are fuller-size; they're the luxury adult collectibles for serious collectors.

The sizes basically work like this:

Extra-small guys. Depending on the line, they might be Mini-Cons, Titan Masters, Battle Masters, Micromasters, etc. They exist to serve a line gimmick.

Core-class, formerly Legends-class. Pocket money toys, either the little guys on the squad or squished down versions of the big guys.

Deluxe-class. Guys who turn into cars go here.

Voyager-class. Guys who turn into trucks go here.

Leader-class. Guys who turn into large things go here.

Commander-class. Huge guys like Sky Lynx and Jetfire go here.

Titan-class. If it turns into an in-universe building that other transformers live inside, it goes here.

Unicron.

There's some wiggle room because these are price points, not actual sizes. Earthrise Cliffjumper is a Deluxe that's about the height of a Core, but that's in service of the scale, and the extra budget went into higher quality engineering than a Core would dream of. WfCT Leaders like Optimus and Shockwave are mostly actually Voyagers with extra bits and higher quality engineering, so that they can still charge that much for them without making them comedically out of scale.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks for the rundown. I was aware of where Masterpiece fitted in, but pretty much nothing else. I will stick to Core class to try and find some playmates for my Starscream, then.

Not understanding this stuff has made me feel old and out of touch. Next thing I'm going to find myself calling all video games "Nintendo".

edit VV: Yeah, I heard good things about the ladder. Think Inferno also just looks more desirable to me.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 2, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MP Grapple is cool but his Crane Trick is a lot less cool than Inferno's Ladder Trick, which has to be seen to be believed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

For shrunken down big guys, the big four Decepticons are all available and all good, plus Starscream has been repainted as Skywarp and will be repainted as Thundercracker. Megatron is the weakest, but he's still fine, just has little things like how he can't point his fusion cannon directly forwards. There's a G2 repaint of him too. As Autobots go, you've got a very good Optimus and Ratchet (with Ironhide inevitably on the way) a tragic Hot Rod and a not great Bumblebee that's way overpriced because it comes with a half sucked jelly baby they're passing off as Spike Witwicky in an exo-suit. There's also a full size Core-class Spike Witwicky in exo-suit, but it's hopelessly out of scale with just about everything.

Oh yeah, the other current line is Studio Series. Studio Series hits the same price points as the main lines, but they're movie-based toys designed to be as screen accurate as possible for the price. The relevant subset for you is Studio Series '86, which is stuff based on the G1 movie (even characters that got about ten seconds of screen time). Core Ratchet and Spike are from SS86.

They also have a kind of super-subline that I don't understand at all floating around called Buzzworthy Bumblebee, which seems to sort of latch on to other toylines and implant a Bumblebee in them. Or one of Bumblebee's friends. Or a character that has nothing to do with Bumblebee. And sometimes it's a standalone thing. The not great Core-class Bumblebee with sucked jelly baby Spike are Buzzworthy Bumblebee.