Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If you have an offline save you can play it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So unless I'm missing something, Misty can't trigger One-Shot-One-Kill from any of her multi-hit attacks? Including her basic attack? That seems really bad actually!

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

nevermind

MonikaTSarn fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 21, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Use Hide and just walk past everyone? The whole thing is a hiding tutorial. That said, when I beat it I got caught on the 2nd floor and then made a mad dash for the objective. And still got the achievement for not getting into a fight, probably because I never attacked anything?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I spent about a hundred hours on the DLC and "end-game" content so this 2nd DLC should be right up my alley :getin:
But I haven't played the game in 10 months so I have probably forgotten a lot. But my characters should have pretty optimized gear so those scenario missions should be a breeze and violent cases are what I've enjoyed the most. I just want to have more new content available once I get back to the game, something like 4 scenarios and 1 VC. Probably going to get that costume pack as well then :regd09:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Bought the DLC right away, but didn't realize I'd have to wait for the other missions. Oh well.

In the meantime, getting to win the solo mission by killing everybody without using hide was a fun challenge. Just did it on Hard, not sure if I'll also try it on Cruel. (Note: I don't think this is possible with the default masteries.)

(Obviously the "nr of enemies out of actions" is bugged here.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wow another party member that has actually killed people, just like a real gamer

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I thought I was so clever giving Misty water attacks that deal poison and bleed at the same time, but it turns out that the "poison explodes on death, increasing AT by 40" also applies to me. And that's mandatory for the mastery set that applies poison 100% of the time. So it sucks. Sorry exploding poison, but you suck.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 23, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

After messing around with Misty for a couple days:
  • She's really strong. By which I mean she has good stats and her moves have really good scaling. She can pretty much just walk up to anything and instantly obliterate it, if she feels like it.
  • However, she has no "engine" for getting infinite turns because One-Shot-One-Kill doesn't work with her good multi-hit moves, nor does she have an insanely good reaction game like Berserker Alisa or Ranger Heixing. The best I've found is stacking Best Condition with her organization passive to get -20 AT at the end of the turn, getting her down to 16 time units between actions in ideal conditions. Which is pretty fast, but still gives the enemies an opening.
  • This is a problem because her defenses kind of suck. Yes, she can stack dodge, and she does have some masteries that convert dodge into a small amount of damage reduction for emergencies, but it's still not nearly as good as being an unkillable block tank. Which I've found to be more or less mandatory for a melee character.
  • Instead I think she's supposed to rely on Hiding, but I've found that hiding is way too finicky to be practical. First of all it has both a high cooldown and high Vigor cost, both of which can be solved but also need to be solved, which is a problem. Second of all, it goes away after one attack (with one exception, more on that later), and to get it back you need to run relatively far from the enemies. Even if we assume that she has everything she needs to do this regularly (action points, cooldown reduction, Vigor), this wastes a huge amount of her time when every other character would instead just kill everything in the room in one action, or equivalent. Even the benefits of attacking from stealth aren't amazing enough to be worth bothering with, imo. I suppose maybe they want you to keep her out of battle to target mission objectives or whatever, but the game so far has not been designed for that to be a useful role. Maybe in future DLC missions. But even if you wanted to do that, the duration of Hide is shorter than the cooldown unless you are regularly killing things, so I don't even know. I feel like she really, really needs some kind of "Hide on kill" passive or the whole thing is a non-starter. But that might be too powerful? I dunno, enemies tend to walk into and reveal her pretty often anyway.

• Getting into her specific classes, Rogue is good at Hiding, Stealing, Poisoning/Bleeding, and obliterating stuff with multi-hit attacks. Only the last thing is useful. I already covered why Hiding is usually a waste of time, and Stealing just gives you free potions or whatever so I don't care. The other stuff will get separate bullet points.
  • Her poisons are bad because they require action points to apply, have an extremely low chance to proc without certain mastery sets, and their effects are so marginal it's usually not worth bothering, especially since the enemy is likely to be dead anyway. Neurotoxin gets a shout-out for being actually maybe kind of useful sometimes, except you have to equip every other poison that you'll never use just to unlock it, so it's not worth it.
  • Her Rogue bleed tools are bad because she doesn't actually have a way to reliably apply bleed. I felt like I was going crazy for not seeing the mastery set that goes "slashing attacks always apply bleed" but nope, it's just not there. Her 4-hit move has a default 50% chance, so it's relatively likely to apply over the whole attack, but just having the enemy end up with bleed is pointless; you want them to be bleeding as you hit them for all the bonus stats and AT reduction and Life Drain. So an unreliable bleed is pretty bad. The most reliable bleed she has actually comes from Water masteries, except she only has one Water attack as a Rogue and it's an ult. The bad one, that you'll use less often. So I gave her Call of Water to make all her attacks water, but then it turns out that Eviscerate and Expose Weakness only proc off physical attacks, so both of those are useless now too (and Expose Weakness is worse than Still Water anyway, for block reduction).
  • She really murders everything with Slice and Dice though. Who cares about Eviscerate, aka Severer Bleed, if the enemy is dead after she attacks it? Like, Improved Slice and Dice is literally the only Rogue thing I have equipped on her - the rest is Water masteries - but it seems significantly better than the other Rogue builds I've tried.

• Ninja. Ninja is weird. It's a healer, but you have to take off Hide to do so. It's got more ways to Hide, but less Hiding synergies. It has a ranged Water attack, but not a lot of ESP. I'm very confused by this class, to be honest.
  • What it does have, however, is the ability to throw daggers from stealth and retain stealth. But only if you don't move first. Which honestly isn't so bad since one of her passives gives her -3 cooldown for Support moves on kill, which lets her spam teleport every turn and kinda-sorta move without moving to keep chaining the stealth daggers. Which do massive damage from Ambush buffs, plus their own Still Stance boost. However, they don't work with One-Shot-One-Kill (because you need two action points to retain the stealth), and have big issues with Impulse Fields since it's only a single hit. Also, she has less AT reduction with this set-up, so she is incredibly slow and it's annoying. Kill one dude every so often, might as well not even be there.
  • Healing. Being a perma-stealthed healer is probably decent, especially with her auto-revive support, but also I don't care. Sorry, I just don't care. I have enough healing already.
  • Water ninjutsu. I don't know why you'd ever use this, to be honest. Even if you can somehow make it be amazingly strong and spammable (haven't checked if this is possible), you're just making another Black Mage Sion with a finite number of spells per battle. Why?
  • Mist ninjutsu. Sure, free smoke grenades, why not? But also not exciting. The most exciting part theoretically is being able to auto-hide by using Perfect Preparation while standing in mist, but what do you know that requires you to be out of enemy line-of-sight, making it exactly as difficult to use as all the Hide stuff I mentioned before, with the added wrinkle of needing to waste an action throwing down a smoke bomb outside of enemy line-of-sight. Just let her hide in a smoke cloud, geez, why do they have to make this so complicated?
  • Dark ninjutsu. Can hide while in enemy line-of-sight. Yay, something actually useful for once! Except for the fact that it's nearly impossible for her to generate significant amounts of Water SP with just her class kit. And then Hide goes away instantly when she attacks. Also does some other defensive stuff, I don't particularly care about them so I forgot what they did though. I wish she had this as a Rogue.
  • ...Okay, so what if I use my exact same Mostly-Just-Water build, but as a Ninja?! Basically the only difference would be free Hiding sometimes. Or maybe use the other defensive buffs it gives. Also a free tool slot which is kind of amazing.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 23, 2022

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Pretty much agree with everything.

What I've been trying is to mess around with Heavy Rain, the mastery that increases the %dodge you get from water SP. I'm combining this with Argonaut set + Awaken set + Escape Death + Escape plan + Smoke generator.
So her dodge is: 50 (base) + 10 alacrity + 50 from water SP + 20 from smokescreen movement + 40 extra against ranged attacks. Escape plan gives a guaranteed extra dodge every turn as well, and escape death is very easy to trigger because of the synergy with Awaken and Argonaut.

Obviously I have no idea whether this is the best build, nor what to do with the rest of the build (currently doing executioner+overpower+mighty strike+the seeker of enlightment). I'm currently running ninja only because of the skill that generates smokescreen and the extra ninja tool slot, but perhaps I should try out "Improved slice and dice" and compare.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Improved Slice and Dice seems to be unnecessary. Any extra value it provides is overkill compared to the base power of her moves.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

This is my current Ninja build, which is like, not a Ninja build at all but it has some utility spells:

Forestallment + Clenched fist is a pathetic nod towards survivability, in that maybe she'll knock something back and get an immediate action, but mostly it relies on not getting attacked because your turns are coming too fast.

Edit: Enough Rest should maybe be swapped out for Deep Sea.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 23, 2022

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Having messed around with builds and stuff myself, I'd say that her best use-case is as a boss-killer/priority target-stabber; Hide lets her pretty much waltz up to any non-Destron target (even them, with multi-hit stuff) and shred through it, since she negates defenses.

That's how I ended up building her as a Rogue, speccing her into high movement/speed to tag along with the rest of the team and help mop up grunts until she can do her assassin thing.

Other characters can do the AOE/Infinite Turns thing (i.e. Shion) and other characters can waltz into most mosh pits and survive (Albus, Irene, Alisa, Leton, etc.) but she has a unique niche there, which is excellent for the 12th character on your team.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 23, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm sorry, but I judge all characters by how well they can solo the Magenta Street violent mission.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
How do you unlock "Support Ninjutsu improvement"?

My build: (mostly trying to optimise for beating her solo chapter without using hide, still have to try Cruel.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I believe it's "use every kind of Support ninjutsu 3 times each." So three heals, three mists, and three shadow ults.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I tried again and I can confirm that the build I posted is good enough to beat her solo chapter on Cruel difficulty. (I did require escape death once.) In the meantime I also just unlocked that "support ninjutsu improvement" mastery.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Walh Hara posted:

I tried again and I can confirm that the build I posted is good enough to beat her solo chapter on Cruel difficulty. (I did require escape death once.) In the meantime I also just unlocked that "support ninjutsu improvement" mastery.

Just tried it, my build did it trivially. Well, almost trivially: at first I didn't realize that picking up the keycard replaced my Gear slot so I just trying to use something I didn't have and died in the process.

Also I decided to replace some stuff with more Water SP synergies (the dodge, as mentioned), although that wasn't necessary in that particular mission.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

In the spirit of "not playing the game right now but once there's some more new missions"...
What kind of weapons does she use? Are there legendaries (or crafted or otherwise good) from pre-crimson crow that fit her well, or in that new mission that's out?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She uses Daggers, which so far only mooks have used and I'm not aware of any good drops. Nor can you craft any legendaries. Either way, it'd be hard to compete with her default Unique weapon that gives -1 to all cooldowns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Patch Notes posted:

Added the daggers to the Oleg's weapon category.
Added the Cromson Crow dagger to the Oleg's Valkylie category.

Changed the attack type of Wave Kick to the Water.
Changed the Regeneration effect triggered by Thick Mist Jutsu to Warm Mist.

Fixed a bug that enemies detected the unit who used Hide again.
Fixed a bug that enemy's Close Suppressive Fire was triggered by a unit in teleporting.
Fixed a bug that the Clean Up ability deactivated Hide state.
Fixed a bug that Hide ability cannot be used near by an enemy in the Neutralized state.
Fixed a bug that enemies attacked an unit who used Hide again after detected.
Fixed a bug that consecutive attack of Water Release Technique - Wave Release didn't applied.

Patch notes. Wave Kick being Water makes sense and expands her options a little. I don't know what Warm Mist is; I'll have to check in-game. I assume it's better than normal Regeneration?

Fixes lots of bugs with Hide, some of which I've noticed! Basically when you used Hide again while already hidden (or other hide mechanics like Perfect Preparation in mist), you briefly lost Hide and alerted the enemies. Also sometimes they'd just attack you anyway while hidden, which sucked, I assume that was the "using Hide again after being detected" fix.

Edit: Warm Mist does Vigor recovery, apparently. I think Healing Mist already does Regeneration though?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 24, 2022

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
That's cool. I don't have call of water so the big majority water masteries seemed completely useless to me, it's good that they gave her at least one extra water skill. Probably still not enough to make water mastery builds viable without having to level a mature venom drake to lvl 16, but perhaps it does give some more versatility.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly I think the main utility is just that it gives her SP when she uses it now, lol.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I have possibly a dumb question. I need the lightning mastery "Accelerate Nerve Network" for my Sion Black Mage build. It's showing that its the lvl 16 mastery for the Gold Tongue frog monster.

I haven't messed around with beast taming at all because I couldn't be hosed to, but am I goona have to figure that poo poo out and tame this bitch in order to learn that? Or do I unlock it once I complete gathering information on it and hit "receive rewards"? I can't remember how this research poo poo works.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You have to tame it, unfortunately. Many monsters learn skills from leveling that they don't have in the wild, and a lot of the higher level elemental masteries are learned that way.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Clarste posted:

You have to tame it, unfortunately. Many monsters learn skills from leveling that they don't have in the wild, and a lot of the higher level elemental masteries are learned that way.

fffuuucckkkk :(

Time to learn taming and repsec Giselle entirely I guess

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I think Sniper Giselle can also tame beasts?

Either way, taming beasts is a really awesome mechanism. You can do a lot of fun builds and the beasts can get insanely strong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gold tongue is probably the hardest monster to tame in the game.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

I think Sniper Giselle can also tame beasts?

Either way, taming beasts is a really awesome mechanism. You can do a lot of fun builds and the beasts can get insanely strong.

Yeah, I think forgot it was just an ability you could set. It's just something I avoided since there's already so much mechanical complexity in this game.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

:argh:

I really need that drat mastery though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's only about a dozen tamed monster-only masteries but there's no list of them i could find. i probably should have made one myself when i crosschecked for all of them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lol, yeah, when I saw that my immediate response was "yeah, that player is hosed". Gold Tongue is so strong that you can bring his default build to fight Destrons. He also successfuly beat my Albus when I did the Sniper Training mission with post-game builds for the challenge.

Speaking of builds, I don't know what to do with Misty. I haven't played TS in such a long time that making a board from scratch is genuinely intimidating, so I might steal the ones posted in this thread by Walh Hara (also thanks for the Ray/Earth Dorori builds, still have to try them) and Clarste to start.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I've been reading up on some stuff and it doesn't sound too bad if you prep/cheese it, but we'll see.

Edit: And tamed. That was pretty easy, dunno what the fuss was about. Just made Giselle as fast as possible, and a combination of Massiveness and Impulse Fields let her survive the one attack Gold Tongue got off.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 1, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of builds, I don't know what to do with Misty. I haven't played TS in such a long time that making a board from scratch is genuinely intimidating, so I might steal the ones posted in this thread by Walh Hara (also thanks for the Ray/Earth Dorori builds, still have to try them) and Clarste to start.

This is my latest version, btw:

No ninja masteries whatsoever, lol. I wish I could squeeze in a Ninja Toolbox for some extra stats, but I don't know what I'd take out. I guess Rain Bucket is probably the least mandatory? Although it does trigger two sets and she does have vigor issues.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
My initial takeaway from ninja is that if you lean into it, you can actually get a pretty good support build going. The heal becomes a non-trivial amount with the appropriate mastery and the smoke clouds offer some very useful effects with the mastery to give them enhanced effects. Combined with her mobility, she pairs well with Albus to help cover gaps in his defenses and prevent him from getting overwhelmed. When not supporting, she can just knife throw at things from stealth without actually losing hide.

I think leaning into the water masteries at all is a mistake. They're just not good enough.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean she kills everything in one action and gets her turn back almost instantly so I'm pretty happy with it?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
It seems to me the water mastery build is really strong, but it 100% requires Call of Water which is ridiculously hard to get.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She has actually become too strong now... she kills things in one hit preventing her from hitting Blood Thirst for the AT refund.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Man I'm really deep down the taming hole now, I have 3 beasts to tame to get all the water masteries for Clarste's Misty build that I'm totally goona steal. Got myself a Draki Hatchling for the first bit, onto toxic crabmints and venom negooris.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Game’s on sale for 14 bucks this week if anyone was on the fence or looking to gift copies to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Is there a go-to mission any of you folks have that's good for leveling beasts? Gotta get this Draki up to snuff for Call of Water