Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Phy posted:

I would believe it, because one of the most popular American media properties of the 20th century was a newspaper comic strip about hillbillies that absolutely nobody remembers today outside of Sadie Hawkins dances in school (and I don't know if they even do that any more)

They built a theme park about it

I went to that theme park when I was a kid.

it was kinda crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

The_Other posted:

Coincidentally, I just finished reading a book about Capp and "sex pest" is putting it mildly.

I've also always been kind of fascinated by the Li'l Abner phenomenon and it's decline. At one point the franchise was making millions of dollars a year, but now as Phy says, it's mostly forgotten.

Didn't the comic strip have an arc where the hillbillies discovered some weird alien goo that could create a post-scarcity society? And the army attacked them for it? I might just be thinking about Weapon Brown since that's where I heard of Li'l Abner.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

palamedes posted:

Didn't the comic strip have an arc where the hillbillies discovered some weird alien goo that could create a post-scarcity society? And the army attacked them for it? I might just be thinking about Weapon Brown since that's where I heard of Li'l Abner.

That sounds like the Shmoo. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shmoo)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Punisher: War Zone #1 (1992)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From this week's HunterxHunter

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Marc Spector: Moon Knight #2 (1989)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Marc Spector: Moon Knight #2 (1989)

Oh, it looks like they've added the first several issues of this series since I last went through Moon Knight stuff on MU. It's a shame there's still so few.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Are those power or telephone lines?

Cause I'm pretty sure Moon Knight is dead if they're power lines.

muscles like this! posted:

From this week's HunterxHunter

I read that chapter and it's just getting to be straight up word salad at this point. The mangaka, Yoshihiro Togashi, has been through the wringer and I would have assumed he'd want to do less work not more.

This weeks Ginka & Glüna

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The reason why Hunter goes on hiatus so often is he absolutely refuses to let anything important go to anyone else

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Infinitum posted:

Are those power or telephone lines?

Cause I'm pretty sure Moon Knight is dead if they're power lines.
Aren't you fine to touch power lines as long as you're only touching the power lines and not anything that could form a route to ground? Source: birds.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pilchenstein posted:

Aren't you fine to touch power lines as long as you're only touching the power lines and not anything that could form a route to ground? Source: birds.

Moon Knight looks to have his truncheon touching both lines, which is Bad. Birds only touch one line at a time, but even then people mostly think about small birds on low voltage lines. The bigger the bird or the higher the voltage the less safe they are.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lobok posted:

Moon Knight looks to have his truncheon touching both lines, which is Bad. Birds only touch one line at a time, but even then people mostly think about small birds on low voltage lines. The bigger the bird or the higher the voltage the less safe they are.

Nah it's fine. Konshu protected him with some random bullshit

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

(I'm gonna use the alt title, cause it's dumber)

Although It’s the Weakest and Unprofitable Occupation,『Blacksmith』, Has Become the Strongest. ~Realized He Can Make Anything He Wants, the Man Started His Leisurely Life~ - Chapter 113

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gY-JTDhQC0

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Pilchenstein posted:

No idea which superman comic this is from.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sounds like the scientific method properly applied.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bucnasti posted:

I mean, the saying goes "it's a bird!"

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Action Comics #1. Superman is intimidating a guy by carrying him around like a sack of potatoes. That first story ends on a cliffhanger of him making a jump to a nearby building with the guy and missing.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Uthor posted:

I mean, the saying goes "it's a bird!"

Pretty weird now that I think about it.
Who gets that excited about a bird?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cats

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Libra posted:

Birders

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Libra posted:

Used to work on the 5th story of an office building with transmission poles a bit out from the building that hawks would hang out on munching on their kills.

Bunch of programmers would get p. excited about watching that not gonna lie.

Also a few times birds did headers into the glass, same deal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Libra posted:

the british

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #45 (1943)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Darthemed posted:

Whiz Comics #45 (1943)

What the hell's up with his trousers?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Guessing that's meant to be Billy, but there's some body-swap/powers-gone-wrong japery afoot gee whillikers

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Lobok posted:

Got to admit, Moon Knight frying because he doesn't understand basic electrical safety would be some extremely Ennis-esque poo poo

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Servoret posted:

Action Comics #1. Superman is intimidating a guy by carrying him around like a sack of potatoes. That first story ends on a cliffhanger of him making a jump to a nearby building with the guy and missing.

How did that work? Did the story continue in the next issue? I thought Marvel invented that in the 60s

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I Love Loosies posted:

How did that work? Did the story continue in the next issue? I thought Marvel invented that in the 60s

Yeah, IIRC it’s part of a war profiteer storyline that carries over to the next issue. I think that first Action Comics story is an amalgam of the sample newspaper strips Siegel and Shuster had lying around, so it doesn’t really have a traditional story structure. A bunch of things happen and then it just ends on the kind of cliffhanger a daily strip might have. I think they stop doing that after that first issue. Once they resolve the plot it’s just single part stories until sometime in the Silver Age.

There’s at least one other example of a multi-issue story in the Golden Age. The Monster Society of Evil storyline in Captain Marvel Adventures was a serial that ran for 25 issues with continuity and cliffhangers at the end of every installment.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The first two issues of Action Comics, the Superman story is actually a fairly unfortunate time capsule where the villain is a guy who wants America to enter WW2 (so he can make a vast and venal profit selling bombs!) and the message is that America should not intervene in a European war, and, subtextually, that people advocating for interventionism are just propagandists for war profiteers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

The first two issues of Action Comics, the Superman story is actually a fairly unfortunate time capsule where the villain is a guy who wants America to enter WW2 (so he can make a vast and venal profit selling bombs!) and the message is that America should not intervene in a European war, and, subtextually, that people advocating for interventionism are just propagandists for war profiteers.

The timeline doesn't seem right. The first 2 issues of AC were published in 1938. Germany and the Axis weren't exactly sweet innocent little countries back then but WW2 didn't start until 1939.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

The timeline doesn't seem right. The first 2 issues of AC were published in 1938. Germany and the Axis weren't exactly sweet innocent little countries back then but WW2 didn't start until 1939.

It’s an imaginary, I think South American, country.

Edit: Another unfortunate time capsule thing is Superman doing “slum clearance” in an early Action Comics.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 1, 2022

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

On checking, Superman gets involved in the war in (fictional) San Monte in the second issue, but the first issue's Superman story ends with him eavesdropping on a corrupt senator who's taking bribes from a munitions lobbyist to "push a bill through" that will get America "embroiled with Europe". He then terrorises the lobbyist with the power lines stunt and gets a lead on the guy trying to start a war in South America.

So it's kind of both. People knew in 1938 that war was on the horizon, and the message was that America should stay out of it and the people agitating for it were capitalist vultures. Honestly it strikes me as an anti-war message that would have been the right view on history almost always, except for the fact that this was WW2 and Siegel and Shuster couldn't have known how morally necessary intervention would become.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Android Blues posted:

On checking, Superman gets involved in the war in (fictional) San Monte in the second issue, but the first issue's Superman story ends with him eavesdropping on a corrupt senator who's taking bribes from a munitions lobbyist to "push a bill through" that will get America "embroiled with Europe". He then terrorises the lobbyist with the power lines stunt and gets a lead on the guy trying to start a war in South America.

So it's kind of both. People knew in 1938 that war was on the horizon, and the message was that America should stay out of it and the people agitating for it were capitalist vultures. Honestly it strikes me as an anti-war message that would have been the right view on history almost always, except for the fact that this was WW2 and Siegel and Shuster couldn't have known how morally necessary intervention would become.

While I agree it was morally necessary, morals, and what was happening in Auschwitz and other camps, was never the motivation for intervention. Heck, Canada and the US both had internment camps for Japanese citizens.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Samovar posted:

They're too short.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

While I agree it was morally necessary, morals, and what was happening in Auschwitz and other camps, was never the motivation for intervention. Heck, Canada and the US both had internment camps for Japanese citizens.

Canada also interred Italian-Canadian and German-Canadian citizens, and, technically, Jewish refugees.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
This is a fantastic forum and thread not to have that discussion in, thanks.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Sorry, my bad, I lost track of which thread was open in which tab.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So some funny comics! Mike Maihack, whose art I've posted here before, posted this Supergirl/ Batgirl Halloween comic from 2013 on his Twitter

Also, for Inktober, Maihack uses the prompts to put Supergirl & Batgirl in various scenarios. Here are some I found funny;

Day 5: Flame

Day 11: Eagle

Day 19: Ponytail – Inspired by Chuck Jones

Day 21: Bad Dog

Day 22: Heist

Day 29: Uh-Oh

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
X-terminators #2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Samovar posted:

Infinitum posted:

Guessing that's meant to be Billy, but there's some body-swap/powers-gone-wrong japery afoot gee whillikers
This is Captain Marvel's response to being criticized as acting too much like an adult. In the early part of the twentieth century, the change-over to 'long pants' was a mark of entering adulthood, so the short trousers here highlight his youthfulness.

The Punisher War Journal #30 (1991)