Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
File some bugs, I haven't actually set up a functional railroad on the newest build yet but it didn't crash for me previous to the newer versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When is garbage coming ? That looks like a lot of fun .

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

euphronius posted:

ur posts etc etc

Definitely adds yet another layer, but I'm starting to get layer fatigue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think some of the systems could stand to have some population kick-ins yeah.

I suppose technically they do in that you can subsist by buying stuff in with small populations, but I think it could stand to be a bit more the case.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I’m less enthused about more layers as I am potential QOL/“tool” additions. They’ll talk for weeks about garbage and show off their garbage trucks but the real hero will be some patch note buried in the third public experimental patch that enables intersections in bridges and tunnels. (Or so I hope.)

The game has plenty of depth. another “things go in and out of a building” with no other real mechanic behind it isn’t fun for me. It just means that my urban areas have yet another dumb thing I have to put in a little “services” area and respect every single road, path, and building spacing rule for. And then do a dozen clicks to set up some service building that once it’s working, I’ll forget about.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, I would be more interested in new industries rather than new services.

(And obviously QOL stuff foremost)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think my hope might be that industries like mines might produce waste which can be converted to gravel, being able to get byproducts like that would be quite nice.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

euphronius posted:

"Report for the Community #61 posted:

This report will be about waste management though. We want to give you deeper look into the concept of this new feature which will come after the Metro update.

3-6 months, based on their pace with the metro update?

quote:

New resource, Waste will be introduced, and it is made similarly to water which is shown as water but includes different components (it is wastewater and fresh water in different ratios). You will be able to build a new facility called Recycling Centre, which will be able to separate different components from the waste from further use but there will be an option to burn all the waste to produce some heat or power by that or just store it somewhere.

I understand the "layer fatigue" but I'm interested to see the industrial recycling aspect of waste. It seems like a good point to stop adding new features though because there will be a closed loop on domestic production within a given republic.

OwlFancier posted:

I think my hope might be that industries like mines might produce waste which can be converted to gravel, being able to get byproducts like that would be quite nice.

Sort of?

quote:

Construction waste: When separated it turns into construction rubble and with further processing it can be turned into gravel which can be reused in construction. Construction waste is not burnable.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
The waste and recycling does sound like another layer but at least seems more interesting than water/sewage and I don't mind swapping one for the other. Since they are doing construction waste as a separate thing, I hope they eventually allow buildings to age, be renovated, and possibly even expanded/upgraded. Being able to update and expand a mall or some industrial facility as new technology becomes available would be nice and make the cities a bit more dynamic, though maybe that's contrary to the rigid-planning nature of the game.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Koobze posted:

The waste and recycling does sound like another layer but at least seems more interesting than water/sewage and I don't mind swapping one for the other. Since they are doing construction waste as a separate thing, I hope they eventually allow buildings to age, be renovated, and possibly even expanded/upgraded. Being able to update and expand a mall or some industrial facility as new technology becomes available would be nice and make the cities a bit more dynamic, though maybe that's contrary to the rigid-planning nature of the game.

You can plan for future expansion :colbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is there a beta with the garbage available like how satisfactory puts out experimental things ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Please do not call me a beta with garbage

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm sure there will be but given we're looking to get this patch spring at the earliest I should think beta for it is a ways out.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The current public beta is still for the metro patch, so garbage is a ways out yeah.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I found the beta switch. The enforced cosmonaut settings are awesome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes that's what I'm meaning, if some industries can be made to produce useful byproducts that could be quite helpful as it would allow small scale domestic production of things without needing to build dedicated industries for them.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Victoria 3 has a really good resource and factory system that would work well for that. For example, you can have your food factories also produce alcohol at the expense of using more grain and producing less food.

Right now the solution is using tiny factory mods, which feels like cheating but at the same time I don't need a giant factory to produce booze for 2000 people.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I couldnt figure out Cable cars in the new cosmo rules start and then realized you have to drive cable cars in from the border. Amazing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

euphronius posted:

I couldnt figure out Cable cars in the new cosmo rules start and then realized you have to drive cable cars in from the border. Amazing.

Well yeah, can't just cable them through the air!

(I am still upset that you cannot do track construction with official cosmonaut start until you get a truck that can fit the track constructor, or use mods to have one from the start)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you not carry the deconstructed version of the track layer with a starting truck?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

On my first new cosmo rules republic, I spent two hours laying out a tram network. Then I excitedly constructed the tram depot to get the teams going and get the clothing factory at full capacity. Once the team depot is constructed I Click on “buy tram” …. What … oh no . Oh god no

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is one of the earlyish trams you can actually load onto a truck, the little blue one, but it's slow and not very good.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Can you not carry the deconstructed version of the track layer with a starting truck?

... CAN you? In 1960 start? I'm pretty sure it's 16t at the smallest, and the largest truck only holds 13t until many years later. Unless I'm not understanding how I'm supposed to "deconstruct" the track layer at a border station; I assumed I just loaded it into a vehicle like any other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

... CAN you? In 1960 start? I'm pretty sure it's 16t at the smallest, and the largest truck only holds 13t until many years later. Unless I'm not understanding how I'm supposed to "deconstruct" the track layer at a border station; I assumed I just loaded it into a vehicle like any other.

The border stations sell a "disassembled" or something version of the track layers which are much lighter, I thought they were about 10 tonnes, when you unload them at the other end they turn into a normal track builder.

E: yes here

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 1, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The result of getting trams delivered

It worked !!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The rest of the dumb city that has taken forever (but is fun )

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 8, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

The border stations sell a "disassembled" or something version of the track layers which are much lighter, I thought they were about 10 tonnes, when you unload them at the other end they turn into a normal track builder.

E: yes here

... Has this been here the whole time? Have I just managed to overlook it somehow???

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

... Has this been here the whole time? Have I just managed to overlook it somehow???

It's been there since I started right after they put it on experimental yeah, I posted about it earlier in the thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

It's been there since I started right after they put it on experimental yeah, I posted about it earlier in the thread.

:gonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's not under the track builder category so you can be forgiven for not realizing, the category itself is only available in the border station.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s been too long since I’ve sat down for a good long save for this game, but now that I’m solidly into my “Vicky 3 needs a couple big patches” phase, I think it’s time to get building a metro.

Starting on the Julian Republic map, seems well done if a bit more flat and open than a lot of the maps I’ve been playing “recently.” I won’t be playing on realistic/cosmonaut officially because sometimes I get impatient about some poo poo or play drunk/tired and need to bail myself out of some dumb lapse, but I’m pumped to be able to basically use the customs office a lot more early on now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

It’s been too long since I’ve sat down for a good long save for this game, but now that I’m solidly into my “Vicky 3 needs a couple big patches” phase, I think it’s time to get building a metro.

Starting on the Julian Republic map, seems well done if a bit more flat and open than a lot of the maps I’ve been playing “recently.” I won’t be playing on realistic/cosmonaut officially because sometimes I get impatient about some poo poo or play drunk/tired and need to bail myself out of some dumb lapse, but I’m pumped to be able to basically use the customs office a lot more early on now.

Looking forward to a metro line that would make Andy Byford weep tears of joy

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Looking forward to a metro line that would make Andy Byford weep tears of joy

I can't do this because you can't build junctions underground!!!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I can't do this because you can't build junctions underground!!!

... What the gently caress.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

... What the gently caress.

This makes me wonder what the gently caress they thought with this patch, seriously. “The metro” is just a station you can connect to tunnels. It didn’t change tunnel behavior meaningfully at all. How can I make a subway hub without merging tracks?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This makes me wonder what the gently caress they thought with this patch, seriously. “The metro” is just a station you can connect to tunnels. It didn’t change tunnel behavior meaningfully at all. How can I make a subway hub without merging tracks?

Looking at the Prague subway, it looks like they don't have much in the way of junctions, just a few stations with transfers.

Maybe... Maybe they don't realize that subways can be that complicated? :ohdear:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

No clue what their motivation was but it feels like a "because Cities Skylines does it" feature instead of anything that will meaningfully add to the game. Would have made more sense as a post-launch update.

Unlike garbage, which I am waiting for before starting a new save.

Volmarias posted:

Looking at the Prague subway, it looks like they don't have much in the way of junctions, just a few stations with transfers.

Maybe... Maybe they don't realize that subways can be that complicated? :ohdear:

IIRC the community report where they first talked about subways mentioned how there were none in Serbia Slovakia so they didn't have a direct reference for the first time.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 5, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Generation Internet posted:

Unlike garbage, which I am waiting for before starting a new save.

Something something you're posts

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

It is every poster's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the aggregate.

Cool railyard mod alert:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2878074912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How could I set up a Clothes warehouse that local DOs take from to fill domestic stores but an export DO will start exporting once the warehouse is over 50% full.

I don’t think this works