Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

koshmar posted:

The overwhelming negative response to paid verification may be starting to sink in just a little bit

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587312517679878144?s=20&t=zPZJYgOjwOxo632i2YHIAg

He then follows up that it isn't about money actually it's about those darn bots

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587314744754683905?s=20&t=zPZJYgOjwOxo632i2YHIAg

:lol: that the second he realizes he can't fire Stephen King for talking back to him his demand for 20 dollars immediately collapses to 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUe-HcdEnzo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I immediately retreat to 40% of my starting position because I am a master negotiator.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I immediately retreat to 40% of my starting position because I am a master negotiator.

Reminds me of the 50% discount scene from Birdemic. Dude absolutely thinks he sounds like a big boy negotiator.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pretty soft girl posted:

:lol: that the second he realizes he can't fire Stephen King for talking back to him his demand for 20 dollars immediately collapses to 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUe-HcdEnzo

Nothing says 'savvy business model' like the CEO trying to negotiate pricing with the user.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You need those skills in order to move slarpmils!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think Musk just assumed his cult of personality would just smooth this over but most of the blue check marks he cared about don’t give a gently caress

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Reminds me of the 50% discount scene from Birdemic. Dude absolutely thinks he sounds like a big boy negotiator.

Speaking of Birdemic, how are the Musky solarpanels doing?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s really funny in that Musk is going to face consequences for the first time in his life, because he finally hosed around with other rich people

I dunno, the rich person he hosed with is pretty much just himself

it's much more like the "guy who won $250 million lottery is now poor" type story more than anything else

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

SuddenCactus posted:

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1587188619000922112

There is no way anyone could have foreseen this happening

Countdown to the first major newspaper to post a Bitcoin doubling scam

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd assumed that the $20 figure was an artificially high price point that was going to go down eventually, but :laffo: at Elon immediately and publicly going down to $8

(still wouldn't pay it though)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
He's already started a new business. drat he's good.

https://eloncodereview.com/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cheesus posted:

He's already started a new business. drat he's good.

https://eloncodereview.com/

Joking aside, this motherfucker thinking he's gonna do 1 on 1 code reviews with his developers as a CEO is straight micromanagement from hell.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

How to make twitter profitable:
  • Charge regular users $20 to edit or delete a tweet
  • Charge verified users $40 to edit or delete a tweet

Per tweet, not per month or anything like that. There, Twitter is profitable now. Elong, I'll take my bonus in cash.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The_Franz posted:

Per tweet, not per month or anything like that. There, Twitter is profitable now. Elong, I'll take my bonus in cash.

how much does elon pay per deleted tweet?

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

The_Franz posted:

Charge only $1 per edit and it would be massively successful. Every idiot who had even a mildly successful tweet would start editing it to include the links to their patreons and soundclouds

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The_Franz posted:

this but "any tweet" not just ur own

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

this but "any tweet" not just ur own

4chan collectively crowdfund-editing every tweet into the N word within 2 hours

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MasterSitsu posted:

4chan collectively crowdfund-editing every tweet into the N word within 2 hours

I would love to see them empty their nerd coffers for that

The next day, the market for big titty anime statuettes with upskirt angles immediately crashes because nobody is buying them, they spent all their money on twitter slurs

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SuddenCactus posted:

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1587188619000922112

There is no way anyone could have foreseen this happening

lmao man I expected to wake up to something good, but between this and haggling with Stephen King christmas comes early

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

Random Stranger posted:

I've had a theory for a while that Elon might have been a goon at some point. He's the right age and reflects all the goonish stereotypes. Okay, goons think every nerd favored celebrity is one of them, but I really got goon vibes off of him.

This post made me realize he's trying to implement a SA style payment filter to deal with the riff raff.

This was my immediate conclusion as well.

Or in other words-

https://twitter.com/intelSEBASTIAN/status/1514659192216297472?s=20&t=PIHwEHzbgzwj5vfTGgtPVg

https://twitter.com/intelSEBASTIAN/status/1514680944078176281?s=20&t=PIHwEHzbgzwj5vfTGgtPVg

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

CommieGIR posted:

Joking aside, this motherfucker thinking he's gonna do 1 on 1 code reviews with his developers as a CEO is straight micromanagement from hell.
I'm more worried about his cult of middle manager at other companies attempting to actually do this.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Exactly. Discounting who he was as a person, Lowtax could produce some hilarious content, while Musk doesn't have an intentionally funny bone in his body.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

CommieGIR posted:

As far as I'm aware, he's also never been educated as an engineer - he has bachelor's degrees in physics and economics, and that's it, so his whole 'I prefer to work engineer to engineer' rhetoric is all bullshit.

Elon Musk is not actually an engineer. That's just part of his whole myth-making thing, to say he is one to impress people. He's a business guy masquerading as a hard numbers engineering guy to impress the venture capitalists and journalists. And because it's a convenient mask for when he fucks up, bc we all know these number geniuses can be a little weird, right????

He's just a normal fuckup pretending to be a savant fuckup.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 1, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Elon Musk is not actually an engineer.

Um excuse me, he worked hard for that honorary doctorate in engineering from Yale

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i work with plenty of people whose degrees are in physics or math or whatever instead of CS or EE who still work as engineers writing or integrating software all day

i don't think elon is an engineer either, but it's not because of the degree he did or didn't get

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've copied code from stackoverflow before, I'm a software engineer. So I think Musky could be too.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's true you don't need a specific engineering degree, depending on what line of work you're in. But he's never done engineering work outside of coding a few websites for startups in the late 90s. He isn't an engineer.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 1, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my job title includes the word 'engineer' and i am not an engineer

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
also even if he was, just lol @ 'my fail-proof system is that I bottleneck everything by hand-checking every line of code' sounds real efficient, and I'm sure you're checking it very thoroughly, good job bossman, no wonder Teslas are so 'well-designed'

everyone loves a car that you can easily burn to death in while trying to figure out the complex inner door mechanism, or that can't even be towed from a garage basement bc it can't properly connect to the internet to go into 'tow mode' lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
also the best programmer's code review would show how many LOC they were able to delete from the codebase, not how much they added

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I work with several physicists, some are super competent and fully capable of working as engineers while others are pretty much clumsy absent-minded professor types. It’s a lot like grabbing someone off the production line, there are brilliant people and total dumbasses in the mix, it’s just way more of a dice roll what you get if they don’t have a degree in the specific discipline you’re asking them about.

I’ve been trying to tell my dad musk sucks for a while now and this whole twitter saga seems to be what’s finally breaking through, so that’s cool.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Thank you Twitter guy for making me wonder if I have a true posters heart

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

It's true you don't need a specific engineering degree, depending on what line of work you're in. But he's never done engineering work outside of coding a few websites for startups in the late 90s. He isn't an engineer.
he read some books on rockets and choo-choo trains too

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
my dad was an engineer, and he's so single-minded and viciously stupid it's upsetting. I recently learned he actually did at one time work in a factory on a production line, and imagining him driving a forklift was like oh god no

ofc, then I learned how he caused a huge forklift accident soooooooo

and then I learned he was only driving one/on the factory floor bc there was a huge strike and so the higher ups forced management to do the worker's jobs which just lollll

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 1, 2022

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Exactly. Discounting who he was as a person, Lowtax could produce some hilarious content, while Musk doesn't have an intentionally funny bone in his body.

Yeah, there was a time before Lowtax was a drugged-up, rock-bottom deadbeat dad where he actually did pioneer internet community building in the pre-social-media days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gvo1uWAhHc

On charging :10bux: for registration: "This wasn't a move by me to actually make money, it was just to keep out a guy posting pictures of triangles."

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

my dad was an engineer, and he's so single-minded and viciously stupid it's upsetting. I recently learned he actually did at one time work in a factory on a production line, and imagining him driving a forklift was like oh god no

ofc, then I learned how he caused a huge forklift accident soooooooo

and then I learned he was only driving one bc there was a huge strike and so the higher ups forced management to do the worker's jobs which just lollll

Dad the scab

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yep. engineers can be the worst. turns out hyper-specific knowledge in one thing doesn't apply to the rest of life, but does breed a sense of superiority and feeds the mistaken idea that it does.

and that's who musk is pretending to be. that's who he wants to be! but also, business genius. I dunno man, he's a loving weird guy. to me the thing I'm most aware of is how much he lies to project an image.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 1, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

John Deere did that recently, where workers had a strike and they made payroll work the labor jobs, so forklifts and vehicles kept crashing and things kept getting broken

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Reminder that genius engineer thought moving all of Paypal's services from Windows Servers to Linux Servers would be easy.

He got fired for pushing it because it, shockingly, was not easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

External Organs posted:

Thank you Twitter guy for making me wonder if I have a true posters heart

I do. But only because I ripped it still-beating out of someone's chest.