Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If we're min maxing, you should shove 2 or 3 trolleys the opposite direction, to get a sense of your max distance. Then place the target trolley that distance minus a few meters to account for accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

With only 10 minutes, it's probably best to just Bosh! that challenge out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pinwiz11 posted:

With only 10 minutes, it's probably best to just Bosh! that challenge out.

Yeah I think it's tempting to try to overthink a lot of tasks but sometimes the time constraints mean that an idea that seems clever wouldn't actually work (or you simply wouldn't have thought of it quickly enough to have enough time left to make it work). At least a few contestants in the show's history have had a bad habit of trying to take a lateral approach to tasks and ending up beaten by someone who just did the obvious thing.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I think it's tempting to try to overthink a lot of tasks but sometimes the time constraints mean that an idea that seems clever wouldn't actually work (or you simply wouldn't have thought of it quickly enough to have enough time left to make it work). At least a few contestants in the show's history have had a bad habit of trying to take a lateral approach to tasks and ending up beaten by someone who just did the obvious thing.

Hugh with the scissors getting beaten by the large crow was traumatic

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hugh with the scissors getting beaten by the large crow was traumatic

To be fair, that was more because Noel was absurdly good at jumping around on one leg while wearing heeled boots.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably multiple independent Boosh/Luxury Comedy scenes like that

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
He also won the 'find out what's in the briefcase' task in the CoC; there were loads of clues to the lock combination which everyone else worked out, but he just got a hammer and smashed it the gently caress off.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I thought Russel Howard won that one by just straight up guessing. Or did Noel still somehow beat his time? Whatever that was a great task just for the variety of solves.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
No he spent longer guessing than it took to actually solve the math formulas lol

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/daraobriain/status/1587205112333828096?t=dBgiro2T2sR-nsiM01lvGA&s=19

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Another take from the same source:

https://twitter.com/MattEason/status/1587188179962060802

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Here’s a question: are loopholes “baked in” to the tasks, or is Alex just an idiot sometimes with the wording?

Studio chat suggests sometimes it’s the former, with Alex outright saying things like Nish being able to throw the coconut again. But that can’t be right *every* time, can it?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

thehustler posted:

Here’s a question: are loopholes “baked in” to the tasks, or is Alex just an idiot sometimes with the wording?

Studio chat suggests sometimes it’s the former, with Alex outright saying things like Nish being able to throw the coconut again. But that can’t be right *every* time, can it?

I don't know for sure, but when I was designing my own tasks I definitely had loopholes baked in for a few, but at the same time there was one person who figured out a loophole that made perfect sense I didn't think about. So I imagine it's a mix of both.

EDIT: A good example of this which I guarantee wasn't expected but worked out really well was when Bridget "recorded the highest number on the pedometer". I thought it was brilliant.

Also as an update for those that helped me out in here by guessing at charades (thank you all) I have the first half of my show edited together and it turns out working on the sound editing is actually super super time consuming and annoying! I really look forward to showing it to you all!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thehustler posted:

It's gonna be a bit of both. Including loopholes for the contestants to find is a good way to ensure a bit of variety. But he also claims that they don't really test the tasks - and something accidental being picked up and exploited is part of the fun.

Personally I think some of the most boring tasks are the ones where he tries to close every loophole. When most of the envelope is a long list of "you cannot x or y" you can feel the fun draining out of the situation.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

thehustler posted:

Interestingly, my first thought was that most - but by no means all - of the loopholes are deliberate. But then I started thinking through the best examples and struggled to think of many where you can be certain that Alex had thought of them and worded or set up the task to create the potential loophole.

- In your example, I really doubt Alex predicted the sheer pathos of someone throwing the coconut and it rolling back to their feet. So Nish created that loophole himself but didn't notice it.
- Probably the first famous loophole was Richard Osman's in the "put the exercise balls on the mat on top of the hill" taask (where he went and brought the mat down to the balls) - Alex says that they checked the grammar with Susie Dent to confirm that the loophole existed, although I suppose that may have just been for show.
- In the "Longest Without Blinking" task, Alex says that one of his kids came up with the real loophole (closing your eyes), implying that it was accidental.
- There's no way Alex would have predicted that someone would be psychopathic enough to tie him up in the "Longest time Alex takes to untie you wins" task.
- Equally, no one could have seen into Mel Giedroyc's mind for her solution to "Get the camel through the smallest gap".

One that springs to mind as a deliberately planned one is the "Stack cans on the table while greeting Alex every 10 seconds" one, where Bob Mortimer realised that the task said nothing about having to remain tethered to the table as they were when presented with the task. That's got to be deliberate. As was Katherine Parkinson's solution to the "Drink a spoon of coconut water" task, when they were presented with implements to crack a coconut but there was a carton of coconut water in the fridge. Same with the one in S13 with "Letting Alex Bite His Duck" - the setup and wording of the task heavily suggested that you had to use water but nowhere was it actually stated that you had to .

So I think that the proportion of tasks with deliberate "baked in" loopholes (and trip-ups) is actually lower than you might first think. They rely on creative thinking by the contestants and fairly simply-written tasks to allow for potential workarounds. Of course sometime you get tasks with loads of restrictions where you can tell that the creators are deliberately closing off obvious loopholes. These are also often the most boring tasks to watch, imo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Considering some tasks contain some form of a caveat like without moving the line and some don't, Alex clearly has a good general sense of how open-ended can a task be, while avoiding the more obvious loopholes. I imagine tasks also get fine-tuned at the testing stage where some creative and/or funny ways to complete a task may come up, and can be encouraged or hinted at in the final version.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its like being a good gm/dm in a role playing game, you should have youre own outline/plan, and be super flexible, and through experience get how much give and take you have with your peeps.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My understanding is that Alex tests out new tasks by making the previous season do it and not airing it.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I sometimes wonder if some of the more sadistic tasks come from Tim Key trolling all the later contestants

e: just looking and apparently not the case, quote from Richard Herrings podcast (1:09:55)

Tim Key posted:

"Obviously it's Alex's brain, the whole thing is Alex. We meet up in a pub, Alex says, 'Here's some tasks.' I go, 'Fantastic.' He goes, 'You got any?' and I go, 'Another pint?' And we're done."

"There are some tasks which I can say maybe I've helped in some way or maybe it's useful for him to know that he can ask me about stuff and bounce things off me, but that is the biggest joke in comedy that I'm on that page in those credits. This is Alex's show."

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 1, 2022

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

oh jay posted:

My understanding is that Alex tests out new tasks by making the previous season do it and not airing it.

I doubt they have the time or budget to waste on making people do that many unaired tasks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dara was right that the completely empty Gatwick was very eerie. That said, you can see a few people right at the ends of the hall, off in the distance.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There were a couple revelations on the last episode of the Taskmaster podcast. Apparently a couple of tasks they decided to rewrite, and they told Ed Gamble not to move the line in the lasso task (because it was originally just supposed to be a tiebreaker). Also Ed may be a furry.

BalloonFish posted:

Interestingly, my first thought was that most - but by no means all - of the loopholes are deliberate. But then I started thinking through the best examples and struggled to think of many where you can be certain that Alex had thought of them and worded or set up the task to create the potential loophole.

There's also:
-the classic "de bajo la mesa" task where they wrote the task to use the items "on" the table, by which they also meant the stuff they strapped to the underneath
-the task in a dark room where they had highlighted the light switch
-the "sit on a cake" task where some people inferred that they needed to bake their own cake, but then they had prepared a secret cake room for people to find. But then in studio there was arguing over whether it was a cake? And Victoria had her own prepackaged snack ready to sit on which they definitely did not expect.
-Most of Rhod Gilbert's loopholes were very much not expected like putting an orange into a sock in order to find it, or when he moved a hole but he also tried a bunch of times that didn't work, like when he decided to unplug a switch to say it did nothing or the time he and Alex were in bikinis which didn't make any sense.
-nobody would've expected "buying sweat" to make it your own to put it in a cup

A few times, Alex just shrugs and allows loopholes on the day just to let Greg make his own decision in the studio. I think that there's been fewer loopholes in the later seasons.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I mean, a lot of the loopholes they're closing are ones that have been exploited before. Yeah it's amazing to see someone think laterally and move the rope, but if they leave that as an option then every task with a rope barrier just becomes who watched previous episodes and knows to do that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
This has been an insightful exchange, thanks for everyone’s contributions. You definitely see the progression in how they change the wording over the course of the seasons to weed out the easier ways to trample on stuff Vs leaving enough creative leeway.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Somebody has got some pull :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOKIFpmKuY

Edit: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-horne-section-tv-show

quote:

Taskmaster’s Little Alex Horne’s boundless energy and likability is captured in a charming show that sits somewhere between Flight of the Conchords and The Goodies

itry fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 3, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I really appreciate musical comedy and I trust Alex with this one. Also, John Oliver is there for some reason?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Taskmaster has been a pretty massive hit yeah? I’m sure Horne has some sway currently. Good for him.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I stumbled upon this thread looking for something about the new Netflix Cabinet of Curiosities, so here we are! Right now, watching S14E6, and it's great so far!

I've been a viewer since about S4, and my wife and I would binge-watch seasons at a time. Not sure I'll have much to contribute here, but that doesn't stop me in other threads.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Horne Section podcast is great so I assume the tv show is also.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Alex put a lot of work into being totally unexpressive on Taskmaster, no idea what he'd be like actually acting.

But also :sax::sax::sax::sax:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/FernBrady/status/1588278952355041280?t=MkGKLo9kYaWkLiaKwCvzPg&s=19

Blows my mind that this season was all apparently filmed in one week??

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Confusedslight posted:

https://twitter.com/FernBrady/status/1588278952355041280?t=MkGKLo9kYaWkLiaKwCvzPg&s=19

Blows my mind that this season was all apparently filmed in one week??

Yeah they apparently shoot two per day and have them change outfits in between so it seems like it's more spread out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Specifically just the studio, right? The tasks are fairly spread out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the tasks they shoot months beforehand although they also apparently shoot several in a day so the schedule is pretty short for those as well - I remember on the podcast I think it was Mel who said she did all her tasks in like three back to back days of shooting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

Specifically just the studio, right? The tasks are fairly spread out.

Yeah, this is it. I got an email about the studio filming and it was all done over a week with 2 filmings a day.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
watching now, this milk task. :lmao:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the tasks they shoot months beforehand although they also apparently shoot several in a day so the schedule is pretty short for those as well - I remember on the podcast I think it was Mel who said she did all her tasks in like three back to back days of shooting.

Oh that makes much more sense. I was thinking they somehow did absolutely everything in 7 days. Which is an insane thought now I think about it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I was with Dara on the milk task. A lot of bells and whistles, very little time to figure out a clever solution. Sarah's was the only one I could come up with while watching and it took me way longer than 30 seconds. Now I think throwing both microwaves on the floor next to each other would've made things a lot easier.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

My thought would be to take the bowls out of the microwaves and put them on top so that the milk is resting in/on the bowls, not the microwave.

I'd never have thought of that in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Was that the second task they re-used from TM NZ? It felt a lot more confusing than the original.