Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

space uncle posted:

My 2 year old was not interested in trick or treating but did enjoy just getting pushed around in a stroller and gawking at costumes. He ate one Kit Kat and one Reese’s and smeared a remarkable quantity of chocolate on himself before also dumping half a white claw on himself too.

He was a tiny dinosaur! He keeps saying rawr!

I’m no doctor, but before 72 months you really shouldn’t be giving children anything more than a Mike’s Hard Lemonade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My wife was Hook, I was Smee, son was Peter Pan, daughter was Tink. It worked pretty well except for the rain, and the neighbors loved seeing us / having anyone come by for candy. We had teal pumpkin signs out for food allergies, but no one else seems to have issues.

If you or a kid is allergic to eggs, snickers and york peppermint patties are out. Otherwise, quite the haul of Reese's.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

c355n4 posted:

Just for anyone in the US. This is true for eggs everywhere else where they don't wash off the protective layer on eggs. Any commercial eggs in the US are washed before being packaged and that removes the protective layer and is why we need to refrigerate them.

https://uwmadscience.news.wisc.edu/animals/most-of-the-world-does-not-refrigerate-their-eggs-so-why-does-the-us/

:-O

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Though in the end, that bothered me less than the old woman nearby who took it upon herself to start telling a stranger's child, mine, that it was "time to act like a big girl". Mind your business, coffin-warmer.

My mom does poo poo like this and it drives me bonkers. I’ve had to call her out a couple of times to knock it off because no mom, you are not the loving coach or their parent, it is not your job to police their behavior. You are here to see your granddaughter and that is it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I can't get "Spooky Scary Skeletons" out of my head. Please send help.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I think we broke my daughter last night. We completely messed with her routine so we could go trick or treating. She is 19 months old. Fed her about 45 minutes early. put her in a dragon costume, and took her around the neighborhood for candy. She mostly got the trick or treating. At least she understood to go up, take a piece of candy from a bucket, and then put it in her bucket (mostly). She got spooked by one kids skeleton costume and I'm not sure how much she liked seeing people dressed up in general. She kept wanting to walk so we were out later than expected, well past dark and in the rain which are two things she doesn't really experience much if at all. Got her back home a little past bedtime and she was just a huge mess. Screaming, crying, snot everywhere. Was a huge battle to get her changed into pajamas and we had to skip story time and just put her directly to bed where she cried herself to sleep pretty quickly.

I was hoping she would have reset for this morning but nope, huge fight to get her dressed and get going today and big tears at the daycare drop off. I hope we didn't break our toddler!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
November 1st, National day of neon green poop.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My daughter turns two in January and she had more fun running to the door to greet trick or treaters than actually going out and getting candy :3:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ugh now my son has diarrhea. Probably the same stomach bug my daughter had a few days ago. Apparently the daycare said a few other kids have had something too.

Just hoping he doesn’t get a diaper rash because my daughter’s was really bad on Sunday, though it’s pretty much healed now.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

nesbit37 posted:

I think we broke my daughter last night. We completely messed with her routine so we could go trick or treating. She is 19 months old. Fed her about 45 minutes early. put her in a dragon costume, and took her around the neighborhood for candy. She mostly got the trick or treating. At least she understood to go up, take a piece of candy from a bucket, and then put it in her bucket (mostly). She got spooked by one kids skeleton costume and I'm not sure how much she liked seeing people dressed up in general. She kept wanting to walk so we were out later than expected, well past dark and in the rain which are two things she doesn't really experience much if at all. Got her back home a little past bedtime and she was just a huge mess. Screaming, crying, snot everywhere. Was a huge battle to get her changed into pajamas and we had to skip story time and just put her directly to bed where she cried herself to sleep pretty quickly.

I was hoping she would have reset for this morning but nope, huge fight to get her dressed and get going today and big tears at the daycare drop off. I hope we didn't break our toddler!

We had a minor fit before bed too, she didn’t want to take her Dino costume off. We tried to talk it off as soon as we got back, but she cried then too so she ate noodles in it. We had to watch extra tablet to calm her down when we took it off before bed.

loving daylight savings is next week? gently caress me.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Halloween / daylight savings combo is pretty rough. My kid just wants to eat candy and wear costumes all day and now they are going to be waking up an hour earlier for a few days.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Child absolutely refused to sleep by herself tonight

After 15 minutes of fussing from her crib, gently caress it, sleep with us

Now has been kicking me in the back about once every hour

In retrospect this was probably due to copious amounts of Halloween candy in a child unaccustomed to eating processed sugar

Today: "I want more caaaandyyyy"

:suicide:

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Halloween candy has turned my 5yo into a huge loving rear end in a top hat and my 3yo just alternates between "my belly hurts" and "can I have candyyyyyy????" Every 15 min.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

nachos posted:

The Halloween / daylight savings combo is pretty rough. My kid just wants to eat candy and wear costumes all day and now they are going to be waking up an hour earlier for a few days.

The toddler's skeleton costume is more like a uniform at this point. Luckily we're all goths so it's not like he doesn't fit in.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Our kiddo doesn't seem all that interested in his candy?

He's eaten 2 of the bite size snickers and was like "this ok. I like this" and then didn't ask for more.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

negativeneil posted:

Halloween candy has turned my 5yo into a huge loving rear end in a top hat and my 3yo just alternates between "my belly hurts" and "can I have candyyyyyy????" Every 15 min.

Already had to start threatening to throw one piece away from the bag every time they ask. If they get some special full-sizes those are set aside, but otherwise all three buckets go into the same communal bag.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Daylight savings hit the UK at the weekend, and same as every other year it can get squarely into the loving bin.

4am is not a time I wish to see when I am rudely awaken by a small child.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah my 16mo has recently settled into a good night time routine, now I have to start pushing it back little by little to try and adjust for the upcoming weekend change.

There was some legislation in the US that was going to finally get rid of daylight savings but after it was introduced it looks like no one took it up.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

meanolmrcloud posted:

loving daylight savings is next week? gently caress me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dum-Dums are just as unsatisfyingly small as ever.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Begun, the month of strange poops has.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

When I took my kid trick-or-treating, she was particular about the houses we were allowed to go to and would point in the direction she wanted to go. She also made me carry her most of the way and my arms are still sore. She was a pretty cute gnome though. I accompanied her as a mushroom fairy. I got her a little, red, gnome toque on Amazon and she loves the thing — wants to wear it to bed. I just gently take it off her after she falls asleep. It’s nice that it’s a warm hat that covers her ears, so she’ll be able to wear it all winter. She wore the hat to the toy store the other day and one of the workers had to stop and comment on how adorable she is and tried to say hi to her.

There were so many houses not participating in trick-or-treat, even those that had porch lights on, so we had to walk quite a ways to even fill the treat bag half way.

I took out all the stuff she can’t have or doesn’t like, like gummy candies, M&Ms, caramel corn, and chips (she doesn’t seem to care for them) and those will get eaten by my husband and I. She has plenty of little chocolates she can eat though. The winner this year was Kit Kats. She got 7 Kit Kats, including a full size bar and then 2 additional ones that were the last candy left in our candy cauldron for trick-or-treaters.

I had a little Haunted House advent calendar and she was always excited to have her small chocolate of the day. She’d often end up asking for a second one later, so I’d give her another piece from a bowl on top of the fridge. Now she gets to pick one from her treat bag. She already ate both her bags of cheese puffs the past couple days.

Fortunately, winter kept at bay until after Halloween because we just woke up to a few inches of snow on the ground. Kiddo wants to go “ow-sai pway” but I’m cold and don’t wanna.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm actually looking forward to DST this year as my kids bed time has steadily crept forward an hour and now they're late waking up for anything.

I mean, it's still going to be hell, but we might not be late for stuff for a few weeks.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm actually looking forward to DST this year as my kids bed time has steadily crept forward an hour and now they're late waking up for anything.

I mean, it's still going to be hell, but we might not be late for stuff for a few weeks.

This is the third year in a row my kid has done this. When it starts getting dark around 7 or 8, she takes her cues from the sun and gets sleepy at a reasonable time. Then as the season turns and it gets dark by 5, she says "chaos reigns, I rule the night" and pushes bedtime back to like 9:30pm. By the time fall DST arrives, it's a welcome reset.

Until bedtime begins creeping up again...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just got a call from daycare, looks like she has hand foot and mouth!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

nesbit37 posted:

Good luck. Buy some popsicles and Tylenol/ibuprofen.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Kingtheninja posted:

There was some legislation in the US that was going to finally get rid of daylight savings but after it was introduced it looks like no one took it up.

This is neither the first nor the last time that someone in Congress has tried to remove the biannual time changes in the US. They did permanent DST back in the 70's but it was repealed due to safety concerns for school children. The history around DST is interesting to read about.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Kingtheninja posted:

It was going to make daylight savings permanent, which is way worse. States are already free to stay on permanent standard time, like Arizona and Hawaii do.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Muir posted:

It was going to make daylight savings permanent, which is way worse. States are already free to stay on permanent standard time, like Arizona and Hawaii do.

No please, I want daylight savings time to be permanent.

We are currently on daylight saving time.

When it ends this weekend we go back to standard time.

I live in Wisconsin which means it gets dark in the 4:00 hour in a couple weeks after we fall back. No one wants that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Squats posted:

My kid just started doing this a month ago at 2.5yo, and I hate it. Especially because he suddenly started protesting basic hygiene habits like bathing, brushing his teeth, or washing his hands. So we'd try to get him to take a bath -> cry -> vomit -> bath again -> crying harder.

I need all the tips I can get to get him to happily wash his hands. Like everyone else in here, we've been sick nonstop since he started 3 days a week of daycare in midSeptember, and have gotten cold after cold, the flu, and now RSV in only 1.5 months. (Thankfully not covid yet.) Of the adults, I'm his primary care taker, and I've gotten hit the worst, with the flu being brutal and lasting two weeks, and currently RSV also kicking my rear end super hard outside the realm of needing hospitalization. Please just wash your drat hands, kid.

I try to get ours to wash hands but at this point, if I have sick kids I wash my hands about 30x a day on weekends when they're home, wear an n95 mask, open windows when I can, turn on bathroom extractor fans all the time, and have hepa filters running non stop. I get sick a LOT less these days. Is it overkill and do I feel like I'm going too far? No it's not and yes I do, but as Kate moss said: "no viruses taste as good as healthy feels". You can't stop your kids getting sick at daycare but you can stop getting sick from them, unless they sneeze on your face at 6 am while you're asleep, an example I am for sure making up instead of pulling from my life.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

redreader posted:

you can stop getting sick from them
https://i.imgur.com/okp66FD.mp4

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I managed to not get COVID despite my son being sick with it sitting on my lap 3-8 hours a day while he was sick.

N95 and careful hygiene goes a long way

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

sheri posted:

No please, I want daylight savings time to be permanent.

We are currently on daylight saving time.

When it ends this weekend we go back to standard time.

I live in Wisconsin which means it gets dark in the 4:00 hour in a couple weeks after we fall back. No one wants that.

Aw hey wisco buddy. Am currently in Chicago burbs but I'm from Madison and yeah the 4pm sunset is no good.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Also in Wisconsin (Madison!) and the time change in the fall sucks the will to live out of my soul every time. I am lucky to be a stay at home parent so it's less of a big deal with the sleep schedule thankfully. But that seasonal depression boyyyyy

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Madison :swoon: Gotta take my kid up there next summer.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Baby is behind my back slapping her cute fists against me and moving away from my sight when I turn to look at her. She thinks she is hiding and is laughing her rear end off when I finally "find" her each time :3:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Congratulations!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

but I'm from Madison and yeah the 4pm sunset is no good.

why do you people do this to yourselves

if it were me, when nov 1 came around, i'd move the clocks forward two hours, not back one :suicide:

i've lived way far south from you my whole life and can't understand why you'd put up with this poo poo. i've walked away from job offers that involved moving that far north

my good buddy moved back to madison at the beginning of covid, for reasons I don't understand

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

My 2yo after pooping on the potty and then flushing it down the toilet:

"Bye poop!"

Then, few seconds later,

"Seeya later!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

My 2yo after pooping on the potty and then flushing it down the toilet:

"Bye poop!"

Then, few seconds later,

"Seeya later!"

:kimchi:

We (I) shot ourselves in the foot recently. My 2yo loves this book, The Wonky Donkey. I, the idiot, looked up the music that accompanies the book, and started playing it along with reading the book.

It's now the only music that plays in our house.