Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

NZXT H1 for $200: https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-H1-Version-CS-H11BB-US-Form-Factor/dp/B09R8RVMPJ/

That's a very good price considering the case comes with a 750W SFX PSU, a 140mm AIO, and a PCIe 4.0 riser cable. It's not the best ITX case on the market, but as a bundle, it's a good value that might be well-suited for a midrange SFF system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

NZXT H1 for $200: https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-H1-Version-CS-H11BB-US-Form-Factor/dp/B09R8RVMPJ/

That's a very good price considering the case comes with a 750W SFX PSU, a 140mm AIO, and a PCIe 4.0 riser cable. It's not the best ITX case on the market, but as a bundle, it's a good value that might be well-suited for a midrange SFF system.

drat, I just googled it and it is sold at about €380 in EU. That is a steal.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone know if a h110i v2 can fit in a T1 case? It being so small is highly tempting but it doesn't look like there's space for any SSDs

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone know if a h110i v2 can fit in a T1 case? It being so small is highly tempting but it doesn't look like there's space for any SSDs

Unfortunately I can’t help with the fit question. But at this point m.2 SSDs are so cheap and you are already paying the ITX premium you owe it to yourself to not run sata cables and sata power cables.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Unfortunately I can’t help with the fit question. But at this point m.2 SSDs are so cheap and you are already paying the ITX premium you owe it to yourself to not run sata cables and sata power cables.

Well, it's a valid question, I think. I'd like to move down to this form factor but I still need space for at least 2-3 SSDs, in addition to the m.2 drive.

One of these days I'll move over my remaining 8tb 3.5" drive to an actual NAS

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well, it's a valid question, I think. I'd like to move down to this form factor but I still need space for at least 2-3 SSDs, in addition to the m.2 drive.

One of these days I'll move over my remaining 8tb 3.5" drive to an actual NAS

It’s probably best to avoid the smallest cases if you want to fit those particular needs. I’m currently trying to turn my M1 into a NAS.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Hey guys

I have a ryzen 2600X and b450i motherboard. My previous case has a side glass panel and fried my graphics card.

I’m thinking of upgrading to a 5800X3D and pairing it with a lianli a4 h20.

My monitors are a pair of dell G3233Q - 120Hz IPS 4K.

What is a good graphics card ? 6800XT? I’m not in USA and I used to love Nvidia but recently I’m kind of bummed at their business practices. And what CPU cooler should I get?

For the case there’s also the NR200P, which case should I get?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

If you are gaming at 4K 120hz, get a 4-series Nvidia. If not, then you can get anything.

Any 240mm CLC should be fine.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
A 4 series in an itx? I’m pretty much hosed. I only see prices of 4090 at super inflated prices. Will a 4080/4070 but good enough?

Hopefully the next RDNA will be kinder to me.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

There’s no way to know what the 4070 and 4080 have to offer just yet. 4K@120hz does take something pretty beefy, but up to now 3080s and 3090s have been decently capable. I think a 6800XT would be OK too, but if you're spending that kind of money, it'd be worth waiting to see what RDNA3 has to offer, especially as someone leaning AMD for various reasons. I think you ought to buy the product that makes the most sense though. Depending on what games you have in mind (and their graphical underpinnings), you might want to give team green some consideration.

For a CPU cooler, a Scythe Fuma 2 would do alright with a 5800X3D and NR200p I think. There's the Dark Rock Pro 4 too.

For both the GPU and cooler, note their exact dimensions and be sure it can fit before getting too excited. They’ve got dimensions for all sorts of stuff here: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-itx/masterbox-nr200p/#specifications

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 13, 2022

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Sorry my bad, I meant NR200P MAX, the one with AIO/PSU/mesh case.

Thanks for the air cooler recommendations, the NR200 was my primary choice for a very long time and have been reading/watching videos about air coolers. It seems like air cooler is just quieter and easier to maintain in the long run compared to AIOs.

But I ended up with a lianli a4h20 5600X + 6600XT as a secondary PC in another location. I do like the smaller size of the lianli a4 but at a certain size CPU air cooling gaming ITX is just not Feasible.

Do you guys have any sweet spots/recommendations? Thanks

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The NR200(/P MAX) can fit a 4090 Founders Edition, just barely. But yeah, at $1600 that's a card for PC hardware whales and not normal builds.

I would pick up a 3080 in this situation. You could try to wait for a 4080, but there are going to be two models of that—a $900 one and a $1200 one—and the $900 one is most likely not going to be a whole lot better than the 3080.

The prices may change over time (hopefully), but as of now, the best card to buy for 4K gaming is the 3080 12GB, in my opinion. You can get one for around $700, or much cheaper if you buy used. The 6800 XT is cheaper at retail, but it's not quite as good as the 3080 at 4K, and the 3080 can use DLSS which is better than the AMD alternative (FSR2), and it can use that too. There are plenty of 3080s that will fit an NR200.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
3080 12g, got it! With the 5600X it seems a bit unbalanced but with 5800X3D it seems to be the value combo for the next 3-4 years.

I’ll still wait for RDNA to release but in the mean time I should get a 5800X3D.

I never really considered team red ever since 980ti and up wiped the competition in terms of price vs performance.

But ever since the 3070Ti pricing and 4000 series MSRP, Nvidia is basically acting like intel back in the day and taking a giant dump us.

AMD’s new ryzen release was a also a little too comfortable for their margins. Oh well, we just need more competition to keep the companies more honest. I’m surprised it’s not some cartel on GPU performance like ram makers/micron.

Fingers crossed that RDNA is something more friendly for us ITX stealth gamers

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

The upcoming DAN C4-SFX can take the 4090 FE and the designer is considering delaying the release by a few months to slightly increase the dimensions for AIB compatibility.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SuperTeeJay posted:

The upcoming DAN C4-SFX can take the 4090 FE and the designer is considering delaying the release by a few months to slightly increase the dimensions for AIB compatibility.

2028 is gonna be awesome

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm hoping in 6 months or so to build a 12th gen / 40 series ITX build. I'm leaning towards the O11 mini chassis, but that case is bigger than my H200i and I feel like that is moving in the wrong direction :-D

My budget will be in the neighborhood of $1500 or so, I'm pretty excited!!

EDIT:

I feel like with the news about how hot 12th gen, AMD 7 series and 13th gen Intel along with the power draw and size of a 40 series graphic card, it seems like ITX is becoming harder and harder to make smaller :(

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 20, 2022

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Any good sfx psu other than the Corsair SF series? The sf600 I have has been running wonderfully the part couple of years, and I would have liked to keep buying their stuff. But I'm going to be upgrading to the 13600k and some future GPU so I'm guessing my 600w psu is not going to make it anymore.

I have a lian li tu150 so I can go up to sfx-L sizes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Any good sfx psu other than the Corsair SF series? The sf600 I have has been running wonderfully the part couple of years, and I would have liked to keep buying their stuff. But I'm going to be upgrading to the 13600k and some future GPU so I'm guessing my 600w psu is not going to make it anymore.

I think there's only a smattering of ATX3.0 SFX ones available at the moment, but should be seeing more soon. Anything from Seasonic will be great, Coolermaster, Lian Li, and Silverstone all make good SFX supplies.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

ughhhh posted:

Silverstone also makes some good SFX/L power supplies.

I've been running their 800w SFL-L one for years and it's been rock solid.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SuperTeeJay posted:

I think I'll buy this when it gets released - Lian Li cases are dope.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

There's one Silverstone sfx-l that's 1kw. Also, they're not out until early next year, but there are two cooler masters that will be out soon, at 1.1 and 1.3(!)kw, both in sff:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cooler-master-launches-1300w-sfx-psu-with-pcie5-power-connector

They're not scheduled for release until q1 next year though.

As far as sff stuff, with the size of the 40x0 series, I just gave up and made a full-sized atx system. I figure even a case that is just built around the size of current gen cards, it'd still be so big, might as well just go all-in and make it a full server. It's set there like a tasteful end table now and I can't hear it, still reasonably energy efficient so whatevs.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Christ a 1000w psu is gonna one day end up tripping my breakers when I run some stupid rtx game isn't it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what is even the point of 1300W in an SFF PSU, the only way to get power draw that high is with multiple GPUs which you literally can't do in SFF

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

repiv posted:

what is even the point of 1300W in an SFF PSU, the only way to get power draw that high is with multiple GPUs which you literally can't do in SFF

I have one case that's about 25 liters, and you can install a full ATX board in it. Some rare application like that would be useful.
Also though, there just aren't a lot of quality choices in sff - if you want to run a 4090 or equivalent, you want an 850w+ power supply - and there aren't many of those, the Silverstones are all longer, and Corsair tops out w/ the 750w. The Cooler Masters are nice, and if you have a larger sff especially, I could see situations where you'd want to fit a full ATX board, and run two graphics cards or a bunch of other peripherals and such, the extra space vs a sfx-l would be nice, too. They're going to retail at about $300 and probably won't have a huge market - but I appreciate that someone is making them available for the form factor, at retail.

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 1, 2022

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
There was one guy who designed and worked with a prototyping firm / small manufacturer to build a dual GPU case a few years ago as a personal project (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/project-orthrus-smallest-sli-matx-case-v2.835/), but those cards aren't as big as ones you can buy today.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I got an EVGA 850W SFX earlier this year and have been happy with it. Price has jumped up to $180 though.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

repiv posted:

I really feel like manufacturers are going to continue with the ITX premium tax.

Not just power draw, but all that extra heat will make cooling and ventilation a nightmare. Low volume 15L cases means nothing if we need extra clearance of ventilation.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I think as SFF enthusiasts we need to start giving up some performance at the very top end or go with an open air SFF frame, not a case.

Hopefully the 4080 is more kind to us.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
You just do the same thing you've been doing for years now and undervolt/power limit components that are pushed way past the point of reason out of the box. 4090 at 60-70% power limit loses single digit % performance and transient spikes seem to be much less of an issue than with Ampere.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah it’s kinda ridiculous that I was able to shave 25% power consumption from my 3070 and lose 5% in benchmark performance and even less in actually playing the games.

Not that my 3070 was having any issues in my Sliger CL530 conswole, but anything I can do to make a GPU less of a space heater during summer is good.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think as SFF enthusiasts we need to start giving up some performance at the very top end or go with an open air SFF frame, not a case.

Hopefully the 4080 is more kind to us.

Isn't the 4080 using the same 3-slot design as the 4090 or was I just high.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hooray, AMD saved SFF PC gaming.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gay Retard posted:

Hooray, AMD saved SFF PC gaming.

7900XTX has a 20w higher TBP than the 6950XT and here are the powerdraws while gaming:

So not likely to beat the 3090Ti for highest all time, but likely 2nd most thirsty all time. Gonna want a SFF case that gets the GPU all fresh air to make it work.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
One in a million chance, anyone know where I might be able to get a repalcement drive cage for a node 804 case? Got one from a friend, which would be perfect to move my nas into ( I've got an old tried but true matx supermicro X10SL7-F even!) but for some reason he threw out the second drive cage

I've tried contacting fractal but no bueno , I might just have to figure out to fabricate my own since unless someone's smashed their existing case I don't know why they'd sell it, so I realize the odds of this are pretty drat slim

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WilWheaton posted:

One in a million chance, anyone know where I might be able to get a repalcement drive cage for a node 804 case? Got one from a friend, which would be perfect to move my nas into ( I've got an old tried but true matx supermicro X10SL7-F even!) but for some reason he threw out the second drive cage

I've tried contacting fractal but no bueno , I might just have to figure out to fabricate my own since unless someone's smashed their existing case I don't know why they'd sell it, so I realize the odds of this are pretty drat slim

lol just nvme

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WilWheaton posted:

Might need to have someone 3d print one, there's an stl for it:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5146359

If you don't have a printer or a friend with one I think there's a goon printing service in SA-Mart.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol just nvme

The SFF and Mini-ITX thread: lol just nvme

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Rexxed posted:

Might need to have someone 3d print one, there's an stl for it:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5146359

If you don't have a printer or a friend with one I think there's a goon printing service in SA-Mart.

oh my god, I'd looked up and down and only found the adapters for larger capacity drives, this is perfect!

thanks so much!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WilWheaton posted:

oh my god, I'd looked up and down and only found the adapters for larger capacity drives, this is perfect!

thanks so much!

No problem, I'd volunteer to print it but I'm angry with my printers right now. I like 3d printing but the printers I could loving strangle sometimes. If you can't find anyone else, though, hit me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
are there any SFF chassis that allow a lot of 3.5" internal storage? do like a fractal 7 mini chassis but with a "storage layout", where you just stack in 3.5" drive trays on a rail in the front and have the intake fans blow over them.

Cerberus X actually has pretty good capacity if you just fill it with drive trays, but, they don't explicitly say a capacity. But that's more or less what I'm talking about, an "ATX style" layout with a bunch of drive trays in it.

or are there any alternatives to U-NAS 800/400 series yet, that scratch that QNAP/Synology itch for hotswap miniservers? Other than the tragically-:downs: Silverstone DS380 or whatever, that is?