Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Death Knight's hero power summons a 1/1 with Charge? Somebody start a countdown till that gets nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

peer posted:

also going live today: knights of the frozen throne is back in Standard until december 6th. wonder how many of the hero cards can keep up with today's power levels

Prince Keleseth is back baby

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Can't say I'm not excited, the Death Knight rune system seems cool, I wonder if that's coming to the other classes some day.
I also really like that with the KotFT set returning and the new card we are bound to have another significant meta shake-up. The Shaman DK will probably boost evolve shaman, I'm not so sure about the others. A new DK for demon hunter would've been cool, but probably too much to ask.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Enrage warrior DK awoooooo

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

dual type minions, loving FINALLY

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Skippy McPants posted:

Death Knight's hero power summons a 1/1 with Charge? Somebody start a countdown till that gets nerfed.

Note: It also dies at the end of the turn, so it's just a Mage hero power that also has a minion die for things that care about that.

Coincidentally, Undead is a tribe now, and their tribal mechanic cares about things dying. And building up a resource as things die and spending it is also Death Knight's core mechanic.

EDIT: Also, Patch Notes. There's a bunch more stuff there, like Legendary hero portraits that are way too animated for my taste.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

peer posted:

also going live today: knights of the frozen throne is back in Standard until december 6th. wonder how many of the hero cards can keep up with today's power levels

Jailer Uther standard shenanigans incoming

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Ugh why are there Battlegrounds rewards in my Hearthstone event rewards track. That's terrible for all players who exclusively play one or the other.

edit: holy poo poo spreading plague is back in standard

Oenis fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 1, 2022

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Death Knight looks like it's going to be disgustingly OP like Demon Hunter was at launch. Also Death Knight is yet another class for which I don't really get the appeal of the fantasy of the class, so I guess it's nice I get to open more card packs to get cards I won't use.

Kind of lame we get two ARGH SUPER BADASS I WILL DESTROY YOU AND YOUR FAMILY edgelord classes back to back

Oh well, hope everyone who enjoys the idea of playing death knight has lots of fun with it

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Gwaint posted:

Death Knight looks like it's going to be disgustingly OP like Demon Hunter was at launch. Also Death Knight is yet another class for which I don't really get the appeal of the fantasy of the class, so I guess it's nice I get to open more card packs to get cards I won't use.

Kind of lame we get two ARGH SUPER BADASS I WILL DESTROY YOU AND YOUR FAMILY edgelord classes back to back

Oh well, hope everyone who enjoys the idea of playing death knight has lots of fun with it

On the bright side, with Death Knight out of the way, a Pandaria/Monk expansion for peace-loving, beer-chugging treehuggers like us is only a matter of time :)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
well the Sunwell is going straight into Jackpot Rogue

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Oenis posted:

Ugh why are there Battlegrounds rewards in my Hearthstone event rewards track. That's terrible for all players who exclusively play one or the other.

"Terrible" is a bit of an overstatement if it's just a daily you can reroll, and not a requirement (as spoiled). That, and it's still a unified client. It's not so bad to just play a game or two in another mode if you want faster rewards.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

Oenis posted:

On the bright side, with Death Knight out of the way, a Pandaria/Monk expansion for peace-loving, beer-chugging treehuggers like us is only a matter of time :)

Hell yeah :hfive:

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Hahaha, Glacial Memories is back to gently caress up the Jackpots and Runes of the Archmage of a whole new generation.

Another weird card that affects the format just by being legal in it is the overload Giant; that means evolving a Gnoll will always give you a vanilla 8/8 rather that potentially giving you Onyxia or Denathrius or Graveborn or what have you.

I wonder if there are any decks whatsoever for which truth is found in death. Kind of doubt it — Snapdragon sunk without a ripple.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Think we can make OTK Uther work again in standard?

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

I will say it's nice to see Reborn return again

That Paladin quest might actually be half decent in Wild if it finds the right cards

I mean it's Wild so that's a probable never but I can dream

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The major problem with Death Knight Uther is that he overwrites the Cariel weapon, which is far and away the most compelling reason to play any kind of late game Paladin strategy.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Freeze shaman is back baby

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh

oh no

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My favorite thing about these meta shakeups is how 95% of the decks are completely unchanged top tier decks decks from the last meta, because making number go down with the least amount of fun possible is all that matters when playing games.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Neptulon is finally gonna get nerfed

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The rune system is cool but seems too ambitious. Balancing what is effectively 3 classes in one is going to be a nightmare

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
obvious hightlights from KotFT:

Druid: Spreading Plague, Crypt Lord, Ultimate Infestation. Some meme potential with Gnash and DK Malf and the Questline? Will the return of Hadronox be enought to enable Deathrattle Druid?

Hunter: Bear Shark, DK Rexxar, some big beast/deathrattle synergies with Play Dead, Corpse Widow and Abominable Bowman. If your deck revolves around getting maximum value out of Mountain Bear your deck is probably bad but you're in for a treat.

Mage: Pretty much nothing. No idea if DK Jaina has a chance competing against Dawngrasp. Not optimistic.

Paladin: Righteous Protector. This was a terrible Paladin set otherwise.

Priest: Spirit Lash, big/rez priest tools like Eternal Servitude, Shadow Essence and Obsidian Statue, also Benny for Thief Priest could be crazy.
Shadowreaper Anduin too. I can dig it.

Rogue: Lilian Voss was a card that saw very little play in standard back then, but she's a great fit for Tess Rogue. Spectral Pillager (6 mana minion, combo: deal damage equal to the number of cards you played this turn) could be interesting but most likely redundant and too expensive for the Rogue deck that spends a single turn to play 10 cards and gets a beefy stealth dude and a large dagger.

Shaman: lol this was the Moorabi expansion. I will be so happy if this finally ends up being a viable archetype. There's never been so much freeze support, so maybe? DK Thrall evolve shaman will probably overshadow any such attempts though.

Warlock: Defile, baby. Drain Soul, Gnomeferatu, Howlfiend + Treachery, and DK Guldan. This was a crazy expansion and will give Warlock even more flexibility with deckbuilding.

Warrior: A lot of enrage warrior tools that could push that archetype further into viability and then Dead Man's Hand for the memes and dreams.

Neutral: Oh god Keleseth is back. The rest is filler by today's standards. How good are cards like Bone Mare and The Lich King by today's standards? Probably not very.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Toshimo posted:

"Terrible" is a bit of an overstatement if it's just a daily you can reroll, and not a requirement (as spoiled). That, and it's still a unified client. It's not so bad to just play a game or two in another mode if you want faster rewards.

This is what I'm talking about, these are the rewards you have to actively work for (by playing Hearthstone, not BGs), and it's either wasted for those who don't play Battlegrounds, or annoying to earn when all you want to do is play Battlegrounds. I was hoping that now that BG has their own rewards track we would be spared from any further BG exclusive bullshit in mainline Hearthstone.

It is terrible.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I thought it was funny how just a week ago I criticized Marvel Snap for having too many XP tracks and currencies, and now Hearthstone has introduced a new type of XP that works on a new reward track, and a new rune system to be aware of for one class.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The hilarious thing about Death Knight Gul’dan is that the best thing he can resurrect is, like, the Dark Alley Pact token. The big demons in Standard aren’t just bad, they’re nonexistent.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
idk if the 1/3 guy, the death knight and blood razor is enough to make enrage warrior great, but i'm trying

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am a 100% certain that they have learned their lesson and will no longer print mega disruptive cards with strong battlecries now that Brann is back in standard.

[touches earpiece] Hold on, I'm getting news ...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Neptulon is an elemental for Jaina, oof

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

bravesword posted:

The hilarious thing about Death Knight Gul’dan is that the best thing he can resurrect is, like, the Dark Alley Pact token. The big demons in Standard aren’t just bad, they’re nonexistent.

Mo'arg Forgefiend is still really good, and Despicable Dreadlord will also be along for the ride in KotFT. There's also the token with taunt from Burning Blade Acolyte. It's not going to be better than current warlock decks, but you can definitely build around it if you want.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Drakkari Enchanter (3 mana 1/5 your end of turn effects trigger twice) plus Xhilag is pretty spicy

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Oenis posted:

This is what I'm talking about, these are the rewards you have to actively work for (by playing Hearthstone, not BGs), and it's either wasted for those who don't play Battlegrounds, or annoying to earn when all you want to do is play Battlegrounds. I was hoping that now that BG has their own rewards track we would be spared from any further BG exclusive bullshit in mainline Hearthstone.

It is terrible.

My daily was discover a card, which you can do in bg. If all you play is bg, you won't need to gain much exp to get the bg reward. If you don't play bg you don't collect that award. Plus you get event exp for playing the game as well

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, not gonna lie, battlegrounds players don't care about emotes either. They're there to give you a little cosmetic award that feels cool for five seconds that you never touch again. What can I say, this is just a kinda-nothing event to get people to play again while we have a bonus expansion.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I'm a little disappointed. I was in the camp that would have preferred Monk to DH or DK, but so it goes.

It's an interesting enough expansion with cool mechanics and an epic theme, I just preferred the smaller, unique flavors of Sunken City and Castle Nathria.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Very hyped on the Death Knight stuff!!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

didn't watch, catching up now. is this Path of Arthas deal the only 2000-gold purchase of the expansion or will there be an additional mini-set as usual? been trying to do f2p for the past couple years but that puts a pretty heavy dent in my gold.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

the technology is finally here in 2022 or they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with all of these packs, cosmetics, and bundles....

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

World War Mammories posted:

didn't watch, catching up now. is this Path of Arthas deal the only 2000-gold purchase of the expansion or will there be an additional mini-set as usual? been trying to do f2p for the past couple years but that puts a pretty heavy dent in my gold.

They don't tend to talk about the minisets for an expansion before the expansion is out, probably fair to assume there will be one though.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Color Printer posted:

So you can see these on the card list on the website (not searchable, though, cards still only have one defined "type" in the code it seems like) and it appears they have put their foot down and all the mech animals are not Mech Beasts :mad:

It's possible that they're not all there though considering Naga Corsair is not showing as a Naga Pirate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Why did they start the Halloween event on November 1st