Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Marco Rubio, Rick Scott urge NOAA to drop proposed right whale protection rule

quote:

There are around 70 calving female North Atlantic right whales believed to be alive.

Organized pushback against federal efforts to reduce North Atlantic right whale deaths continues to grow in South Atlantic states as shipping and charter fishing interests try to stall or stop the implementation of new speed restrictions for vessels of 35 feet or larger.

As the days wound down on NOAA Fisheries’ public comment period, U.S. Sens. Marco Rubio and Rick Scott teamed up with fellow Republican Senators from the Carolinas to oppose the new rule.

Their main beef with the rule is it alters “the long-standing and effective navigation safety ‘deviation clause’ contained in the current regulations.’ With regard to port safety and commercial viability, the rule was originally amended in 2008 to provide a navigation safety deviation clause that would allow large commercial ships to safely navigate within the confines of the narrow offshore Federal Navigation Channels (FNC) along the U.S. east coast.”

That also came up in a recent meeting of the Port of Fernandina’s Ocean Highway and Port Authority, which ultimately decided not to take a position on the new vessel strike reduction rule. However, the Florida Ports Council did in a recent tweet.

“FL seaports have been tireless advocates and stewards protecting the environment and marine life, but the proposed amendments present significant life and safety risks for all commercial, recreational, and military mariners who rely upon FL seaports,” the Council tweeted.

Charter fishing captains have already expressed that the rule — 10 knots within the calving area from Nov. 15 to April 15 for vessels longer than 35 feet — will make part of their business impossible to conduct in a fashion similar to how it is today. Speed restriction rules were already in effect for vessels longer than 65 feet.

“Angler spending on impacted offshore recreational fishing trips is estimated at more than $15 million per year,” according to the Senators’ letter. “These trips are likely to be cancelled or significantly shortened if vessels used are subject to a 10 knot speed restriction.

“In addition, according to data from NOAA Fisheries, approximately 5.1 million recreational fishing trips were taken in this region by vessels 35-65 feet in length since 2008 thus the chance of a 35-65 foot recreational vessel striking a (North Atlantic right whale) during an offshore fishing trip is less than one in 1,000,000.”

The last recreational vessel strike occurred in February 2021, when the About Time, a 54-foot recreational vessel, slammed into a right whale calf at 20 knots, half a mile off St. Augustine Inlet.

There are so few right whales, and they reproduce so rarely, that each human-caused death is another step toward extinction. Scientists believe every North Atlantic right whale death over the past 50 years is human-caused, as the whales are not dying naturally and they have no real predators.

There are around 70 calving female North Atlantic right whales believed to be alive. In all, scientists believe there are around 340 total North Atlantic right whales remaining.

The only place these whales calve is off the coasts of Florida and Georgia, then the calves nurse on the long trip back up the East Coast to waters off New England and the Canadian Maritimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Let's go heat domes, love da heat domes baby

https://twitter.com/xr_cambridge/status/1587189272255291394?t=qRq1lsdWRJAPgspdch0-lw&s=19

kater
Nov 16, 2010

fishing charters are some of the dumbest fuckin bullshit lol

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

another beautiful 70 degree November day here in Minneapolis

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

goochtit posted:

Hmmm :thunk: how do the numbers change if we use a fleet of these?
https://twitter.com/PortofNewcastle/status/1584419448726749185
It's carrying 100,000 tons of coal

Literally bringing coals to Newcastle

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

mistermojo posted:

I'm enjoying it too, but...rain pls.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mawarannahr posted:

Literally bringing coals to Newcastle

the timothy dexter gambit :hmmyes:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mistermojo posted:

well it’s colder in austin tx than it is in Minneapolis right now so that disproves your whole “global warming” theory now doesn’t it :smug:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i too have a theory and it’s that we should drill baby, drill

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
no posts in like 3 hours? fellas i think our posting has successfully propped up the biosphere, which is obviously no longer collapsing

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Does anyone have the image where it's the rise and fall of humans on the timeline and on one side it's stuff going up and then "you are here" and on the other it's the little caveman dude living in the shadow of a wind turbine?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Car Hater posted:

Does anyone have the image where it's the rise and fall of humans on the timeline and on one side it's stuff going up and then "you are here" and on the other it's the little caveman dude living in the shadow of a wind turbine?

no but i have this in my biosphere thread jpg folder

hope this helps

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

blatman posted:

no but i have this in my biosphere thread jpg folder

hope this helps

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Car Hater posted:

original post

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

nice

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ahhh excellent content. rip emTme3, if only you could stop yourself from being an academia-brained weirdo

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/curious_founder/status/1587581943763587072?t=od157n7sXbjevVhdIDbk_g&s=19

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

add a bubble bottom right:

b.delloidea : )

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

:drat:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
an aussie friend of mine has become concerned because summer basically hasn't started and now she's looking at how the southern oceans are still cold and the northern oceans still hot and becoming a doomer

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

an aussie friend of mine has become concerned because summer basically hasn't started and now she's looking at how the southern oceans are still cold and the northern oceans still hot and becoming a doomer

I hate being doom-pilled. I know I am, I hate that I am, but with such insurmountable evidence that points to “we are hosed and the ancient shitheads in power don’t GAF and know they will be dead before any of their decisions matter” means I can’t undoom-pill myself. :smith:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Shima Honnou posted:

"become" concerned lmao the whole continent has been simultaneously on fire and underwater for like twelve years now

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

a huge part of the problem is that most modern humans can no longer instinctively recognise a barren hellscape when they see it. they just think it's meant to look like that. i remember the stark bare yellow bone-dry wastes of rural australia used to look beautiful and thriving to me when i was a kid, because occasionally you'd spot a kangaroo off in the distance.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
australia was never habitable, it was the basis for "Heck" in the christian version of the Book of Mormon

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the romans thought crimea was the gates of hell

australia was magnificent before the white colonists came and annihilated the people who were taking care of it. it's the same story all over the world.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

a strange fowl posted:

the romans thought crimea was the gates of hell

australia was magnificent before the white colonists came and annihilated the people who were taking care of it. it's the same story all over the world.

that's our bad. sorry

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

i will never forgive the british

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

an entire planet destroyed to make cotton shirts

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Minera posted:

an entire planet destroyed to make cotton shirts

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
stupid fools. they should have destroyed it to make polyester shirts. the plastic will make them last way longer.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The WaPo article that quotes this guy is exactly why reaching most people is very literally just impossible. Depending on your perspective, the media is either intentionally spreading misinformation or doesn't care enough to vet their sources or both. Either way, it means everyone needs to be an expert just to read a news article and parse whether or not it's bullshit.

Putting that burden onto the average news consumer is honestly a brilliant disinformation strategy. Good work, assholes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

The WaPo article that quotes this guy is exactly why reaching most people is very literally just impossible. Depending on your perspective, the media is either intentionally spreading misinformation or doesn't care enough to vet their sources or both. Either way, it means everyone needs to be an expert just to read a news article and parse whether or not it's bullshit.

Putting that burden onto the average news consumer is honestly a brilliant disinformation strategy. Good work, assholes.

the fallacy of "impartial" journalism has been being manipulating by bad actors forever, because for some reason adding "which is factually untrue" to a statement made by some random politician or whatever is editorializing instead of educating

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

The epistemological collapse is accelerating faster than expected you say?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

it's almost like not having consensus reality means something must be done with those who don't accept material reality

or you just have to accept lol the world is tripping balls, but not on a good drug, it's like a bunch of idiot children who found only salvia and DXM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin