Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AltcoinDailyio/status/1587503632546639872

Brilliant, absolutely flawless logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
sure, that could mean that

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wow, all he has to do is increase revenue by an order of magnitude overnight and he might make his money back by the time he dies of old age

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
It would certainly make things more difficult for twitter employees to implement the changes he is asking for when a single mean tweet can cause him to deviate.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How does this not just mean that spammers will pay $8 to give their accounts priority

If they’re going to keep doing the actual verification process they’d have to accommodate a massive number of new requests, so I expect they won’t be doing it anymore

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

How does this not just mean that spammers will pay $8 to give their accounts priority
imagine the revenue if all the spammers/scam/impersonation accounts paid for verification though!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I'm pretty sure he's just gonna launder money

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

crime weed posted:

he doesn't. he has never actually cared about spam/bots, and never will

Why would he ever fix it? It's his favorite get-out-of-jail-free card for when he's being told he's wrong/unpopular/etc. Just cry "bots!"/"fake news!"/etc and pretend like you aren't a wildly unpopular manchild. It's worked consistently since he called a heroic diver a pedo, so it'll surely keep working.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I know he doesn’t care but like he’s not even trying to come up with a reason why it woukd do it, just says it will and trust him

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ben shapino posted:

I'm pretty sure he's just gonna launder money

Make a $5/month cash-only discount rate, where the money funnels directly into a cash room overseen directly by the man himself

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't "start with something utterly stupid so they accept your later, more sane, offer" the core of Trump's business theory?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

If I double the price of my product and assume exactly as many people will purchase said product, I would double my revenue! Why didn't I think of this before!?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Moon Monster posted:

If Elon wants to be Lowtax he could purchase Gamespy and personally run Planet Quake.

ironically, I still visit Bluesnews.com and shacknews.com at least once a week

no updates to oldmanmurray.com since the two authors went and made some really unpopular games called Portal or some bullshit.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Assuming attrition based increasing prices is for cucks. Everyone knows the most successful businesses never account for lost customers.

Also

per month (every month)

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I cant stop laughing at Elon the dumbest billionaire alive.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Only $96 a year for something that used to be free, wow what a great idea!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t get why he thinks this will do anything for spam

The vast majority of users are unverified this does nothing outside the very top end

I think the idea is anyone who pays gets the blue check. (which won't really mean "verified" anymore since the only thing that will be verified is that you own a credit card)

And all the people who don't pay will be second class citizens who get less visibility. Like when you look at a tweet with replies you'll have to click "show more" before they show up.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Crypto scammers will but generic spam won't, and it'll make a lot of the cheap boosting and manipulation stuff not work.

Like the principle works, see this here forum, but lol that people are gonna pay $8/month for that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Don’t people quote tweet more than reply now anyway?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yyou can't argue with math.

I thought musk said 80% of Twitter Is bots so he may want to alter that projection to reflect his mind palace reality

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Netflix CEO Mushy Shitbrains says everyone on Netflix can get a red background colour in the main menu for $49,99 a month. With 223 million monthly subscribers, this could mean 11,7 billion dollars of additional revenue per month (every month).

Hire me, Netflix, I'm a business genius.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Why is all of twitter falling for his bullshit?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SkyEnzo posted:

Its mostly the Crypto/Muskstans falling for it, everyone else appears to be calling it what it is: Garbage.

But Musk has largely refused to listen to criticism and just feeds off his followers validating his ideas.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Its mostly the Crypto/Muskstans falling for it, everyone else appears to be calling it what it is: Garbage.

But Musk has largely refused to listen to criticism and just feeds off his followers validating his ideas.

I think a lot of even those people know it's garbage but they can't admit the emperor has no clothes or it could hurt their crypto.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A reminder that in 2021, twitter had $5 billion revenue. Of that, twitter had $4.5 billion in ad sales in 2021, and $0.5 billion in data sales (mostly to advertising companies). All of their other monetization schemes in the past have been huge failures. All of the potential cash from pushing a subscription is not worth losing even one major ad agency.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

SkyEnzo posted:

He promised a future that's like a Marvel Universe movie and sadly there are some people who think he's a real life Tony Stark

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

that is the cryptobroest logic i've ever seen.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

big nipples big life posted:

that is the cryptobroest logic i've ever seen.

I love people who think market cap means anything with crypto, and then apply that elsewhere lol

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

You just know that this same person also uses the Laffer curve as evidence for why we should lower tax rates.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Interesting video on the subject of charging for twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na_HZZDhp0M

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

What kind of imbecile would pay a subscription and still be satisfied with seeing any ads at all?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Unperson_47 posted:

What kind of imbecile would pay a subscription and still be satisfied with seeing any ads at all?

Netflix is using the same model

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Unperson_47 posted:

this dude looks at Hulu and goes "that's genius and I'll pay them to say I came up with it originally"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
the gall lmao

here, pay now, and you can see... half the ads.

god if you listen closely there's got to be an audible vacuum of talent leaving right

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If a million twitusers buy a blutik and a million spammers buy a blutik, they could make a scratch in the salary Elon will probably pay himself every month.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I would imagine the staff at Tesla/SpaceX are both relieved to have Musk fully distracted by his new toy, and dreading the inevitable turn of the eye of Sauron in their direction, which will predictably lead to throwing out months of "unsupervised" work down the drain as a matter of pure principle.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unperson_47 posted:

have u heard of cable tv

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

bobjr posted:

Don’t people quote tweet more than reply now anyway?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe elon could just buy a winning lottery ticket each week to fund twitter?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Aramis posted:

I would imagine the staff at Tesla/SpaceX are both relieved to have Musk fully distracted by his new toy, and dreading the inevitable turn of the eye of Sauron in their direction, which will predictably lead to throwing out months of "unsupervised" work down the drain as a matter of pure principle.

Gentlemen, we finally figured out panel gap!

*Elon busts through door*

aw nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

gonna laugh when 5 days from now the exhausted team working on the $20/mo verified fee drag themselves across the finish line, and elon is like what? oh, forgot to tell you, we don't need that anymore. by the way, you have 1 week to add a streaming music service to twitter blue for $15/mo.