Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It finally cooled down enough in Vegas that I can smoke aromatics again, so I broke out the MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake. House smells reaaalll good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

ComradePyro posted:

same tbh

I think there's something legit wrong with the Match Elizabethan. It's very strange, around the same time that I switched to smoking it for a few days, my pipe turned sour. I gather from googling around that that isn't supposed to mean sour as in like lemons, but it made my pipe sour as in like lemons. I cleaned it a few separate times with alcohol, then acetone, over a few days and today is the first day my mouth isn't gross and sour for hours after smoking a bowl. I hadn't made the connection between the tobacco and the issue until I just now sniffed the jar and it smelled like acidity and a mild stinging pain.

So, I asked this before but I kinda downplayed the issue, is this tobacco supposed to have such a strong acidic tang to it that it literally hurts to smell? I'm not 100% convinced that it's the reason my pipe went all lemony on me, but it's hard to think of what else it could be.

I may have been the one to recommend it. Unfortunately I have not smoked it, so I can't answer here. It is a very popular Va/Per bulk. My advice would be to troll sites like TobaccoReviews, PipesMagazine forums, or Pipesmokersden for discussion about the blend. Sorry you don't like it.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I think you were, and don't feel too bad because I honestly don't mind the tobacco itself! That's the strange part to me, the first few bowls are fine, but after a few things got real lemony. I often don't clean the bowl out after a smoke, what with being kinda lazy and all, and figure something is building up in the pipe that gets overwhelming after a while. I've googled around and haven't found anything much to explain what the heck is happening, I mostly get a lot of advice to do the things I've done lol.

All of this leads me to believe that there's something wrong with this particular tobacco and not the blend. The smell is probably the biggest factor for me, I love funky fermentation flavors a lot and this stuff just smells rancid. No visible signs of fungus, but from having tried to grow fungus, it smells sorta bacterial.

Cursed Tobacco aside, I really appreciate the recommendations, I feel like I'm much better-armed for my next buy. Definitely going to buy a fair bit of the Peter Stokkeby Luxury Navy Flake, I rationed it out carefully and miss it since it's ran out!

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

The platinum grab bag I ordered from Atlantic Cigar came in today. These were the contents:

Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real (Toro)
J. Fuego Sangre de Toro (Toro)
Kristoff Ligero Maduro (Gordo)
Nub Habano (460)
Manuel Alonso 1867 (Toro)
Montecristo (Robusto)
601 Blue Label Maduro (Toro)
Gurkha Seduction (Toro)
Alec & Bradley Nico Puro (Robusto)
Cain Daytona (Robusto)

These are all new to me so unless I end up hating most of them I think it will have been worth the $40. Smoked the Nico Puro earlier tonight and it was pretty enjoyable. A lot of cedar and red pepper at light up that settled into more black pepper, earth and oak. Looking forward to working through the rest.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
This was years ago, but back when I worked at a big liquor store that has an actual, well maintained and stocked walk in humidor with a dedicated staff, that Reserva Real was my go to ~$4 "oh a few of us are going to the patio bar for drinks and a stogie" grab. I remember it definitely being a bit on the milder side, but consistently enjoyable.

Also, hello thread!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Social Media posted:

The platinum grab bag I ordered from Atlantic Cigar came in today. These were the contents:

Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real (Toro)
J. Fuego Sangre de Toro (Toro)
Kristoff Ligero Maduro (Gordo)
Nub Habano (460)
Manuel Alonso 1867 (Toro)
Montecristo (Robusto)
601 Blue Label Maduro (Toro)
Gurkha Seduction (Toro)
Alec & Bradley Nico Puro (Robusto)
Cain Daytona (Robusto)

These are all new to me so unless I end up hating most of them I think it will have been worth the $40. Smoked the Nico Puro earlier tonight and it was pretty enjoyable. A lot of cedar and red pepper at light up that settled into more black pepper, earth and oak. Looking forward to working through the rest.

I can vouch for the Nub Habano and the 601 Blue, at least. And yeah, hard to go wrong with 10 sticks for $40.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

ComradePyro posted:

I think you were, and don't feel too bad because I honestly don't mind the tobacco itself! That's the strange part to me, the first few bowls are fine, but after a few things got real lemony. I often don't clean the bowl out after a smoke, what with being kinda lazy and all, and figure something is building up in the pipe that gets overwhelming after a while. I've googled around and haven't found anything much to explain what the heck is happening, I mostly get a lot of advice to do the things I've done lol.

All of this leads me to believe that there's something wrong with this particular tobacco and not the blend. The smell is probably the biggest factor for me, I love funky fermentation flavors a lot and this stuff just smells rancid. No visible signs of fungus, but from having tried to grow fungus, it smells sorta bacterial.

Cursed Tobacco aside, I really appreciate the recommendations, I feel like I'm much better-armed for my next buy. Definitely going to buy a fair bit of the Peter Stokkeby Luxury Navy Flake, I rationed it out carefully and miss it since it's ran out!

Following up on this, I let it dry out and it is apparently fine now. No strong acidic smell, no lemon taste, just some pretty alright tobacco.

Truly a fascinating mystery.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That used to happen with the McClelland tobacco. In the tin - super acidic ketchup tang. Out of the tin - perfect mellow heaven.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That used to happen with the McClelland tobacco. In the tin - super acidic ketchup tang. Out of the tin - perfect mellow heaven.

McClelland Christmas blends’ ketchup-odor especially turned off folks around you opening your new tin…the same people who commented later on its pleasant room note even when they didn’t know “room note” was a concept.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Anyone know someone who has suffered from or died from oral cavity related cancers from pipe smoking?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hello thread I'm sorry I've not been posting much but the Discord is a lot easier for posting pictures. Was talking with Oph again and we want to do another round of Secret Santa. Are any of you threadposters in the mix?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yep!

Also re: cancer, I don’t know anyone myself, but if you’re that worried about cancer, I’d recommended avoiding tobacco altogether and working towards a quitting program if you need it.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Anyone know someone who has suffered from or died from oral cavity related cancers from pipe smoking?

To answer your question I do not.

Anecdotally, the Surgeon General (in 1996 Iif I recall) found that pipe smokers live 2 years longer than nonsmokers. They don't print that on on the warning label though! Haha

Smoking comes with risks, you do you.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Kenning posted:

Hello thread I'm sorry I've not been posting much but the Discord is a lot easier for posting pictures. Was talking with Oph again and we want to do another round of Secret Santa. Are any of you threadposters in the mix?

I posted in the discord that I was in, but my situation has changed and I need to bow out. Sorry about that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I hope things improve Hayden! ❤️

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Was itching for a cigar for 2 weeks. Then I caught Covid. drat! Got a humidor full of singles to try to narrow down my fave.

So far it’s probably Arturo fuente Hemingway best seller.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I love that stick.

fried eggs
Apr 4, 2007
with ketchup

tesilential posted:

Was itching for a cigar for 2 weeks. Then I caught Covid. drat! Got a humidor full of singles to try to narrow down my fave.

So far it’s probably Arturo fuente Hemingway best seller.

I've just been getting into cigars and had a great hemingway signature last weekend. I have a best seller chilling in my tupperdore for this weekend. The hemingway really clicked and I was like ahhh this is what this is all about! I want to try a don carlos next.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Paging pipegoons to the thread

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I actually have a pipe with a little hinged grate that goes over the bowl to fight wind. Works pretty good!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yeah, you can buy the little grates as an insert that fit most regular-sized pipes. They cost like two bucks, haven't tried mine out yet though but it fits both my MM and my Peterson really well.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Paging pipegoons to the thread

The man's goggles are really throwing me for a loop.

Anyone have any recs for baking spiced/holiday pipe tobacco blends? I'm thinking I wanna go all in for holiday theming (e.g. Boswell Christmas Cookie, Pom Holiday, C&D We Three Kings). The stronger the better because I am a nicotine goblin.

e: Turns out the best James Bond smoked Falcons, so I am very glad to have found The Correct Pipes no additional comment necessary

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 16, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm not answering the question that was asked but HDM Epi No. 2s have been the most baking spice cigar I've ever had. Loved em.

I don't smoke my pipes enough to justify buying another, but Falcon's seem rad.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Man I’m so glad that I finally got one. I smoke basically all day out of a Meerschaum bowl in one and it finally gets all the finicky behavior out of pipes that made me quit them every time I went back.

It’s saved me quite a lot of money because I’m primarily a cigar smoker and working from home enables my worst habits 😅

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

NewFatMike posted:

Man I’m so glad that I finally got one. I smoke basically all day out of a Meerschaum bowl in one and it finally gets all the finicky behavior out of pipes that made me quit them every time I went back.

It’s saved me quite a lot of money because I’m primarily a cigar smoker and working from home enables my worst habits 😅

How's the color on your bowl coming?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Got my new Stanwell POTY 2022.

It's swell.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Howard The Dork posted:

How's the color on your bowl coming?

Just fine, totally charred the rim 😅

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

The man's goggles are really throwing me for a loop.

Anyone have any recs for baking spiced/holiday pipe tobacco blends? I'm thinking I wanna go all in for holiday theming (e.g. Boswell Christmas Cookie, Pom Holiday, C&D We Three Kings). The stronger the better because I am a nicotine goblin.

e: Turns out the best James Bond smoked Falcons, so I am very glad to have found The Correct Pipes no additional comment necessary

Rum Flake!

Edit unless you said you already tried it

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I still have some Rum Flake, I’m not a massive fan but maybe some months in the jar has changed my opinion.

I think I might have an ok haul, hopefully more Christmas/holiday blends will crop up in the next few days online.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A shipment just in time for Thanksgiving.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh hell yeah I’m very curious to hear what you think of that Semois. La Brumeuse?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yes La Brumeuse. I'll be trying it tomorrow. Been sixpence all night - fantastic smoke.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The reviews on that look fantastic! C&D Blue Ridge is out of stock so I’ve got space in my heart and budget.

It’s Sunday, which means I’m going in on a LAT54 today. I love L’Atelier cigars so much. If only I were made of money so I could smoke them all day 😔

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Pipes an Cigars seems to have made a shipping error and sent me a free box of stuff I ordered a month ago, for free!

I sit a Christmas miracle? I have 16 ounces of lane 1Q, mac barens 7 seas, and some other stuff.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The weather's getting cold, people are firing up their propane heaters and pellet stoves, which means it's time for another Cigar and Pipe Thread/Discord Secret Santa!

Let's aim for a value of ~$25-$30 shipped. If you'd like to participate, please send me a PM with the following information:

• Tobacco formats you enjoy (pipe, cigar, or both—more esoteric formats also considered)
• Preferred styles (i.e. maduro cigars, narrow/wide RG, aromatics, burley, whatever)
• Whether you would or would not like accessories (pipe tools, PerfecDraws, etc.)
• Something you like to eat or drink (or both!)
• A random hobby/interest
• Your address

Entries need to be in within a week (by Nov. 27th). If you don't have plat (????) just post and we'll figure something out. I'll take the info and send out assignments by Dec. 1st, so there should be plenty of time to make a package and get it shipped for Christmas.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 21, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Secret Santa! Sweet!

So I just smoked my first of the La Brumeuse, and it was not at all what I was expecting. I thought it would be a heavy, dark smoke. But instead, it's light, spicy, flavorful. Like a really good burley mixed with a small amount of perique. Nice ribbon cut, easy to pack, and overall extremely enjoyable. This is an "outdoor" tobacco from me. Back in the day when I would sit out in the wilds in the early morning, on watch or watching for geese, I would smoke piles of Prince Albert - this tobacco reminds me of that taste, but a lot better. Gonna be a regular for me for sure.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 21, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just clarifying, it's Secret Santa, not a box pass! We'll do a box pass in spring again inshallah. I did get your PM, though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Kenning posted:

Just clarifying, it's Secret Santa, not a box pass! We'll do a box pass in spring again inshallah. I did get your PM, though.

I am silly but have edited my post. Hooray Secret Santa!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Secret Santa! Sweet!

So I just smoked my first of the La Brumeuse, and it was not at all what I was expecting. I thought it would be a heavy, dark smoke. But instead, it's light, spicy, flavorful. Like a really good burley mixed with a small amount of perique. Nice ribbon cut, easy to pack, and overall extremely enjoyable. This is an "outdoor" tobacco from me. Back in the day when I would sit out in the wilds in the early morning, on watch or watching for geese, I would smoke piles of Prince Albert - this tobacco reminds me of that taste, but a lot better. Gonna be a regular for me for sure.

Hell yeah I’m glad you like it. I’m a total monster for Semois.

C&D We Three Kings and Jolly Old St. Nicholas are up on Smoking Pipes so I’m getting the Christmas flavors I’m seeking out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So I just smoked my first of the La Brumeuse [...]. Gonna be a regular for me for sure.

Great smoking weather in the East Bay this weekend and I went through 3 bowls of this after trying it for the first time yesterday. It's good! It smokes fast, but you can pack it really tight to make up for it (thanks for the tip Stuff and Things).

I picked up a simple little baby meerschaum a few weeks ago for short smokes and new flavors, and it turns out it's great for chain smoking La Brumeuse.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/AKB/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=504039

I'm also hoping the new meer' colors up a lot quicker than my old one has been. It is a loving giant of a pipe by my standards; the tobacco chamber dwarfs all of my other pipes'.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/imp-meerschaum/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=45534
I bet I could actually put it to good use now burning through this forest of Semois on my shelf since a giant bowl of the stuff could probably be polished off in a reasonable amount of time.