Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
All of our cops live outside of the city and drive to work, making the chance of them ticketing a driver essentially zero. Also the traffic unit was disbanded so now collisions are at a record high but tickets written are at a record low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Decided to bus back to the office today rather than do yet another short car trip. Ride on the bus was pleasant but I didn't have enough money on the smart-card thing we have for public transit here for the return trip. I haven't used public transport for over a year and forgot how stupid the system is, literally the only way you can pay for the bus is via the smart card and adding money to it online takes 24 hours to take effect. The only way you can instantly add money to it is at a shop or station that does that, which for me was more than 1 km in any direction. There's no way to pay for the bus with card or cash, or to instantly 'top up' the card without going to one of a few specific locations. I don't get how an online payment takes 24 hours to process in 2022 but I'm sure it involves some level of graft and/or corruption, and it seems like a pretty good way to discourage people from using public transport.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's probably not 24 hours to process the transaction so much as 24 hours for the transaction information to get copied to the bus so it can update the balance on the card offline

Not that that's much more justifiable in 2022 but I think it's how a lot of these systems still work unfortunately

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Blackhawk posted:

Decided to bus back to the office today rather than do yet another short car trip. Ride on the bus was pleasant but I didn't have enough money on the smart-card thing we have for public transit here for the return trip. I haven't used public transport for over a year and forgot how stupid the system is, literally the only way you can pay for the bus is via the smart card and adding money to it online takes 24 hours to take effect. The only way you can instantly add money to it is at a shop or station that does that, which for me was more than 1 km in any direction. There's no way to pay for the bus with card or cash, or to instantly 'top up' the card without going to one of a few specific locations. I don't get how an online payment takes 24 hours to process in 2022 but I'm sure it involves some level of graft and/or corruption, and it seems like a pretty good way to discourage people from using public transport.

lol 24 hrs to add value is insane.

i find in these situations you can almost always just ride for free, but it is awkward

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Halloween is a beautiful holiday because it's one time out of the year where lots of people remember how nice it is to walk around town (please don't remind me of the tragedies,I know).

I got to spend Friday and Saturday nights walking around car-free downtown festivals. It's so incredibly unlike anything we get to experience otherwise in the US.

but if i have to walk to stare at my phone instead of drive to copypaste mall to stare at my phone, how would i have the BRANDZ to show me as a uniquely deep intellectual personhood

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mystes posted:

It's probably not 24 hours to process the transaction so much as 24 hours for the transaction information to get copied to the bus so it can update the balance on the card offline

Not that that's much more justifiable in 2022 but I think it's how a lot of these systems still work unfortunately

Yeah I'm sure it's this because they say you need to use the card within some number of weeks after topping up or the transaction gets refunded, so it's probably 24 hours because the bus needs to go back to the depot and hook up to the internal wifi network or something. But as you say in 2022 and I'm in the middle of the country's biggest city, there's no reason these things couldn't be in constant network communication, or alternatively they should be capable of accepting non-contact credit card payments, or they should let your account go negative and just subtract that from the next time you top-up, or it should be loving free because it's public transport and we need people to use it instead of driving.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Blackhawk posted:

portland's public transit lets you use any NFC debit card the same as a transit pass. you get charged the fare, with a daily max of $5. i could just wave my wallet over the sensor on the street cars, light rail, or buses to pay. super easy and frictionless to use.

so of course most places are absolute garbage with systems designed to suck.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
the twin cities transit app used to have unlimited free rides. you could buy tickets through the app and when you activated them they weren't scanned by anything. activating a ticket on your phone created a transfer animation with the date and time that was 'good' for x time 2 1/2 hours whatever and you show the screen of your phone to the driver. one could just screen record a transfer and use that forever because drivers don't bother reading things like date/time or more likely bus drivers don't generally give a gently caress if you're quiet, upright and aren't oding right at that moment.

trying this gave me more anxiety than saving $2 was worth but i know some folks who rode for years for free. i think they fixed the flaw?? this must have happened elsewhere

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
https://twitter.com/Nach0Sepulveda/status/1586868049667182592

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Yes. Basically everyone concludes world lithium mining needs to ramp up massively for all those batteries in new cars. Like an order of magnitude greater than current lithium mining.

Just make a loving electric train already.

Like ... build more? There are already plenty of electric trains with electric energy supplied either by overhead lines or by electrified tracks, battery supply would make no sense whatsoever.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

pixar peaked with toy story 2. cars is dumb because they made the bizarre decision to have the windshield be huge gross sonic the hedgehog eyes instead of the obvious headlamps

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Sharps posted:

pixar peaked with toy story 2. cars is dumb because they made the bizarre decision to have the windshield be huge gross sonic the hedgehog eyes instead of the obvious headlamps

headlamps are tits, duh :giggity:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The concept of paying for public transport is pretty dumb in the first place, just tons of effort wasted on something that adds zero value.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BonHair posted:

The concept of paying for public transport is pretty dumb in the first place, just tons of effort wasted on something that adds zero value.

if we dont have fares in america how would the cops hold up the entire transit system to arrest fare evaders

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Palladium posted:

if we dont have fares in america how would the cops hold up the entire transit system to arrest fare evaders

Can you do it based on race maybe?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We've had fare-free buses for a couple of years, but the city says they'll need to reinstate fares to run the buses more often. It's been really nice to not have to swipe a card or wait for people to swipe cards though.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
how about instead of fares they fund the buses based on a tax on gasoline for personal automobiles? :getin:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

how about instead of fares they fund the buses based on a tax on gasoline for personal automobiles? :getin:

*insert shitlib what-about-the-disabled arguments against here*

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Junkozeyne posted:

Like ... build more? There are already plenty of electric trains with electric energy supplied either by overhead lines or by electrified tracks, battery supply would make no sense whatsoever.
I meant overhead electric trains.. Most trains in the US are diesel. Freight is 100% diesel, and passenger trains are almost all diesel as well. Trams are electric, but there are few of those. Metro/light rail passenger trains are electric too. It's just there is very little electric public transit compared to the need. It is even more depressing when you look at a map of tram lines for American cities before 1930s and what exists now. Electric trams covered US cities.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Kicked Throat posted:

the twin cities transit app used to have unlimited free rides. you could buy tickets through the app and when you activated them they weren't scanned by anything. activating a ticket on your phone created a transfer animation with the date and time that was 'good' for x time 2 1/2 hours whatever and you show the screen of your phone to the driver. one could just screen record a transfer and use that forever because drivers don't bother reading things like date/time or more likely bus drivers don't generally give a gently caress if you're quiet, upright and aren't oding right at that moment.

trying this gave me more anxiety than saving $2 was worth but i know some folks who rode for years for free. i think they fixed the flaw?? this must have happened elsewhere

the Jersey City light rail has an idiotic system where you buy and validate a ticket but the only time it’s ever checked is when cops randomly show up to stop the train for way too long to check everyone’s ticket and kick off all the poors. I never actually saw this happen and only ever saw them check tickets at the end stations which I barely ever used. after a bit I just stopped ever buying tickets and never got caught

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Maed posted:

an idiotic system where you buy and validate a ticket but the only time it’s ever checked is when cops randomly show up to stop the train

literally hundreds of transit systems more or less work this way. not saying it's good or bad, but it isn't unique

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

literally hundreds of transit systems more or less work this way. not saying it's good or bad, but it isn't unique

I know it’s not unique but it’s still idiotic. either make it free or have turnstiles and don’t make people late for doctors appointments and work so some chud cops can play ICE agent for 15 minutes

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We've had fare-free buses for a couple of years, but the city says they'll need to reinstate fares to run the buses more often. It's been really nice to not have to swipe a card or wait for people to swipe cards though.

imo at the margin this is a reasonable decision for transport agencies to make, given the tradeoffs they face. Public transport is good, and the benefits of making it better and more useful for people are probably better than making it free in most cases. making it free is a great improvement too but not always the best one (assuming that you can charge in a reasonable manner, if you're organisationally incapable of stopping fee collection impacting service quality then you've got bigger problems anyway)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Public transit is a public good that promotes economic activity, subsidizing it with cheap/free fares is only logical.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, both fare and fare-free systems have their place. My job subsidizes bus rides anyway, so I can ride for "free" even if they reinstate fares. Now that is a good system.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Maed posted:

I know it’s not unique but it’s still idiotic. either make it free or have turnstiles and don’t make people late for doctors appointments and work so some chud cops can play ICE agent for 15 minutes

it doesn't have to be literal cops, and it doesn't have to slow down the bus/tram/whatever. loads of places have very low impact fare collection and enforcement. making it free is also cool though and perhaps easier than making it accessible to everyone anyway/fixing your operations if your leadership sucks rear end

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-OX6LoLKes

LA Cops arrested a man riding his wheelchair on the freeway. Bullshit. Cars driving down bike lanes go free but cops respond to this. In Houston, if you ride your bicycle on the freeway, cops will show up to arrest you. Even if you ride your bike in the emergency lane.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's a posh neighborhood in Philly called Chestnut Hill. It's served by two regional rail stations and two different lines, however it is possible to take a train between the two. These wacky boys undertook that voyage

Lots of great Philadelphia train station video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYKYVCylh6c

It takes them about an hour and 20 minutes each leg of the journey. At the end they walk between the two stations and it takes 5.5 minutes

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

woke up this morning and thought drat cars are bad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

woke up this morning and thought drat cars are bad

wake up wake up wake up
it's the first of the month
wake up wake up wake up
and you know cars loving suuuuck

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Copenhagen at least, we have dedicated personnel who have it as their job to check tickets in trains and buses. These people obviously have a lovely job, and it's not their fault, but it just feels so incredibly wasteful to have people running around doing something af unproductive as that. Kinda like the guys giving parking tickets, but without the benefit of loving with car owners.

Also there's untold millions wasted on the it system for fares. Just money out the window.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wake up

grab your car put on a little makeup

mystes
May 31, 2006

Reposting this from yospos:
https://twitter.com/notkavi/status/1586946904566501376

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
building a manual transmission out of rocks and twigs to teach my kids how to drive our Flintstones car

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

building a manual transmission out of rocks and twigs to teach my kids how to drive our Flintstones car

lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

driving my flintstone car out to the turmeric fields so I can treat my cancer herbally

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Family compounds in cities look cool. For other families of course. If I had to live with my family I'd kms.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

retvrn to manual transmission

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My ancestors learning the real tradish poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

In Copenhagen at least, we have dedicated personnel who have it as their job to check tickets in trains and buses. These people obviously have a lovely job, and it's not their fault, but it just feels so incredibly wasteful to have people running around doing something af unproductive as that. Kinda like the guys giving parking tickets, but without the benefit of loving with car owners.

Also there's untold millions wasted on the it system for fares. Just money out the window.

But we need a way to keep undesirables off the trains.