Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Been replaying Human Revolution Director's Cut with the commentary on and I love it. There's so many details in the game that they point out that I never even noticed or cool things about the development that they talk about. More games should have developer commentary.

edit: I NEVER EVEN NOTICED THAT DOLL

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Big Scary Owl posted:

Been replaying Human Revolution Director's Cut with the commentary on and I love it. There's so many details in the game that they point out that I never even noticed or cool things about the development that they talk about. More games should have developer commentary.

edit: I NEVER EVEN NOTICED THAT DOLL

Yeah the HR commentary is great, it's made me replay it more than most games. Also I feel an MD commentary would be "we wanted to do this, but got told no, just focus on the cash-ins..."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Oh shiz I forgot about that commentary. Time to play the game again.

I guess I’ll finally just go full bloodshed for once instead of my normal Thiefsie style.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aniviron posted:

MD also had the cash shop on launch, where you could buy praxis etc. for cash. Gross. Not sure if that's still online or not, but it left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths.

Also the first and last thirds of the game were missing.

You could buy in game money for cash. It was revolting.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

sebmojo posted:

You could buy in game money for cash. It was revolting.

Yeah and there was nothing to buy either it was vile and useless.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Was there anything to stop you from just cheating to get money/Praxis?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Was there anything to stop you from just cheating to get money/Praxis?

Honour

(no)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I definitely used the debug menu and cheated myself enough praxis to fill all the hacking skills because I loving hate that minigame

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's funny, because as a person who's spend far too much time thinking about hacking minigames, HR's take on it is one of the best I've seen.

Probably doesn't mean much if you don't want to do it in the first place, admittedly.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
my toxic trait is i will almost always like a hacking minigame

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also am a hater of minigames in general but found the hacking one tolerable. But like all minigames, after 100 times please don't make me do it anymore, I'm begging you for a skill check.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
mankind divided at least added multitools, the problem being it still heavily incentivizes you doing every single hack yourself via xp, money, and hacking prgrams

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah it's a good hacking minigame as far as those go but drat do I just not want to do them on the fourth playthrough.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Just give all the hacking minigames you skipped to me. I will do them forever.

MD did make them worse though by adding a bunch of fog.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

Serephina posted:

It's funny, because as a person who's spend far too much time thinking about hacking minigames, HR's take on it is one of the best I've seen.

Probably doesn't mean much if you don't want to do it in the first place, admittedly.

In my first playthrough of HR, I talked my way past the guy at the police front desk and then went around hacking every computer I could find in the building - partly for XP but largely because I remember just really enjoying the mini-game.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Apparently they made a Playstation version of the OG DX, any one play it? Was it worse than the Xbox version of the sequel?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's generally faithful, but they had to chop up the levels to save memory and considering how much level design is a part of an imsims identity, its a pretty big drawback (you can no longer jump to Jock's apartment from Maggie Chow's). Some nice little graphical upgrades here and there but even that they screwed up a little, NPC eyes look a bit odd. The gamepad controls suuuck, but I think it's one of the few PS2 games with KB/M support?

A mixed bag.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Wasn't that the version with FMV endings? Might have been the intro too but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah they redid the intro and endings as pre-rendered cutscenes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

The gamepad controls suuuck, but I think it's one of the few PS2 games with KB/M support?

It is, but it's an undocumented feature without any menus for rebinding so you were stuck with the bizarre default binds from the PC version

IIRC the PS2 version of UT99 also supported keyboard and mouse, it must have been a default feature of the engine

repiv fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 6, 2022

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Outpost22 posted:

Apparently they made a Playstation version of the OG DX, any one play it? Was it worse than the Xbox version of the sequel?
A bunch of mods (like Revision) include the updated character models (with their creepy shark eyes) and ending cinematics. I don't think anything imported the cut up level design, which is probably for the best.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SCheeseman posted:

I think it's one of the few PS2 games with KB/M support?

I need to test this. If this is true, that's a game changer and I play it under emulation even though I own the game and a functional PS2.

repiv posted:

It is, but it's an undocumented feature without any menus for rebinding so you were stuck with the bizarre default binds from the PC version

IIRC the PS2 version of UT99 also supported keyboard and mouse, it must have been a default feature of the engine

Still worth trying. I cannot overstate how important mouse aim/look is to me.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 6, 2022

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Speaking of details you've never noticed, the NSF network pic show the Stars and Stripes without the stars, which makes a whole lot of sense once you stop and think about it. Also, for all the apparent right-wing talking points (eg. Leon Woods and his hard-on for Second Amendment rights), the NSF is pretty much a Guevarist resistance movement, with a thoroughly anti-capitalist streak.

I am prone to overthinking; then again, Deus Ex, of all things, turned me 180 on my ideological evolution with a single sentence from Paul Denton - because I overthink.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tagaziel posted:

I am prone to overthinking; then again, Deus Ex, of all things, turned me 180 on my ideological evolution with a single sentence from Paul Denton - because I overthink.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJW8StyJxRU&t=19s

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Right Wingers can also be anti capitalist

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Gaius Marius posted:

Right Wingers can also be anti capitalist

Sure, but upon closer look, I don't really see much of right-wing rhetoric in the NSF. Hell, even the Leon Woods/Second Amendment thing is because the topic has been hijacked by the far right, rather than any inherent rightness of owning firearms.

"A few bureaucrats in New York can't make good decisions for New Jersey, let alone Paris or a village in China."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Thank you. I'll have a peek.
Thoughts?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Tagaziel posted:

Sure, but upon closer look, I don't really see much of right-wing rhetoric in the NSF. Hell, even the Leon Woods/Second Amendment thing is because the topic has been hijacked by the far right, rather than any inherent rightness of owning firearms.

I think the NSF was originally a right wing militia movement but after discovering the govt doing the grey death to kill the poors they were so horrified that they teamed up with antifa and situationists to smash the state, and by the time of deus ex they’re basically left anarchists that just have some vestigial right wing aesthetics.

A wildly optimistic 90s assumption of how genuine right wing militias were with their small govt rhetoric

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I get the feeling that the NSF isn't totally unified in its ideology, which is common for separatist/guerilla movements. After all, its geographic area encompasses both Seattle and Ruby Ridge.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

I get the feeling that the NSF isn't totally unified in its ideology, which is common for separatist/guerilla movements. After all, its geographic area encompasses both Seattle and Ruby Ridge.

There is that one dialogue between two NSF guys on Liberty Island where one of them just dismisses the other's fear of augmentation as rhetoric, so yeah I imagine it's not a totally unified front.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I think the NSF was originally a right wing militia movement but after discovering the govt doing the grey death to kill the poors they were so horrified that they teamed up with antifa and situationists to smash the state, and by the time of deus ex they’re basically left anarchists that just have some vestigial right wing aesthetics.

A wildly optimistic 90s assumption of how genuine right wing militias were with their small govt rhetoric

Also this. The game does make some assumptions about what the fringes of society were really after in the 90s

The prequels seem to trend more that the origins of the National Secessionist Forces were far more right-wing, considering the "New Sons of Freedom" just have a straight-up Punisher skull in their logo.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Xander77 posted:

Thoughts?

Going to be honest... I completely forgot about Dex and have not looked into the matter. I had to flip back several pages to remind myself what I was supposed to 'peek at'.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

aniviron posted:

This makes a lot of sense (and, well, DX isn't prescient or perfect in its writing, so I try to keep up in mind).
It's also possible that I'm looking through it through a lens benefitting from hindsight, and a lot of my perception is colored by the endemic racism in the current breed of fash, so Colonel Leo Gold at the Statue really stands out, as does his rhetoric that has a lot of overtones similar to historic labor movements in the US.

Angry_Ed posted:

Also this. The game does make some assumptions about what the fringes of society were really after in the 90s

The prequels seem to trend more that the origins of the National Secessionist Forces were far more right-wing, considering the "New Sons of Freedom" just have a straight-up Punisher skull in their logo.

Yeah, that stands out like a sore thumb. Adds a fun little wrinkle to what Francis noted (or the far right became ablative armor).

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Watching a walkthrough of DX1 and the guy encounters a 7-digit gatecode and is like "lol what if I try 867-5309?"

The look on his face when it actually works is classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-NmjKw4pU&t=1151s

(19:10 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Seventh Arrow posted:

Watching a walkthrough of DX1 and the guy encounters a 7-digit gatecode and is like "lol what if I try 867-5309?"

The look on his face when it actually works is classic.

I want to be a party pooper and say that any streamer being amazed by a random happenstance has been heavily premeditated, but screw that - good on him! There was also a similarly stupid long code later in the game, I think it was at the surface level of the missile launch site in the guard shack at the back, that I never figured out what it was. Maybe 5-6 digits in length and wasn't written down anywhere? Was it also a funny cameo code?

I also was puzzled by the two-digit code to get under the fist-grasping-globe statue in the mj12 base, and after brute-strengthing it surprisingly quickly was rather upset at myself.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/a-new-deus-ex-is-reportedly-in-early-development-at-eidos-montreal/

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I asked for this.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

quote:

“Eidos Montreal, which remains intact, canceled the Stranger Things-inspired ‘kids on bikes’ game that was rumored recently,”

It’s now reportedly working on [...] a Deus Ex game that’s “very very early” in development...

Ah the kids on bikes genre

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Another finger on the giant hand above the globe in MJ12 headquarters curls.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Vic posted:

Ah the kids on bikes genre

In keeping with Stranger Things' 80s aesthetic it was just going to be a clone of Kikstart 2 on the C64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/embracer-group-shuts-down-montreal-video-game-studio-1.1840243

Embracer Group shuts down Montreal video game studio posted:

Video game publisher Embracer Group AB is shutting down Onoma, a Montreal, Canada-based video game studio that it acquired just months ago.

Onoma, formerly known as Square Enix Montreal, was best known for creating the Go series of mobile games such as Hitman Go. The company informed employees Tuesday that some staff would be transferred to a sister studio, Eidos Montreal, said people familiar with the situation.

A representative for Embracer confirmed Tuesday that the company is closing Onoma and said the move would impact around 200 employees.

The shutdown is unusual because of the timing. Onoma was purchased in May and on Oct. 10 announced a new name and branding.

Sweden-based Embracer has been on a video game industry shopping spree, buying companies both big and small over the past few years. Onoma was part of a large acquisition earlier this year, alongside Eidos Montreal, San Francisco-based Crystal Dynamics and a handful of franchises including Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

The move appears to be part of a larger cost-cutting initiative. Eidos Montreal has reduced the scope of one unannounced project and will cancel another one, said the people familiar with the situation who asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to speak publicly. The company also plans to work with Microsoft Corp. to help develop some games, including one in the Fable franchise led by U.K.-based Playground Games.