Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sydin posted:

IIRC the only character who actually takes it hard if you don't romance them is Haru, and also to lesser extend Hifumi and Chihaya. Everybody else is either totally fine with being shot down or doesn't even bring up a romantic angle unless Joker does first. Kawakami in particular kinda feels like you're coercing her into a relationship, she more than any of the other adult waifus seems to realize how hosed up banging her student would be.

I mean, the other teacher at her school just publicly admitted to doing this to great shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Ms. Chouno romance option when

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dating any of them is problematic because they're bound by their code to reciprocate. The devs have removed their agency the moment they plucked them from the sea of souls and put them into the cartage.
The only exception to this is Yuske because they date in the metaverse where our combined latent belief that he and Joker are together make it true. Their relationship is a shadow, the true self, cast from our collective will on mentos, the freshmaker.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You should use Raoul from the DLC personas (when you get to a high level) because he's the upgraded Arsene and thats good roleplay value.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

HootTheOwl posted:

Dating any of them is problematic because they're bound by their code to reciprocate. The devs have removed their agency the moment they plucked them from the sea of souls and put them into the cartage.
The only exception to this is Yuske because they date in the metaverse where our combined latent belief that he and Joker are together make it true. Their relationship is a shadow, the true self, cast from our collective will on mentos, the freshmaker.

Relationships can be made problematic by power imbalance (having the Wild Card).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

*alcoholic tabloid journalist

Since they have the same dub actress I like to pretend Ohya is Yukikio whose life took a bizarre turn after leaving Inaba.

Ohya might have the weirdest left turn into romance, too. In desperation, Ohya invents a statutory story to cover herself with her boss and Joker is like 'obviously I thought it was real' and Ohya going "Wait what oh me too I guess" with complete sincerity.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Remember persona 3 when your teacher falls for you through an MMO?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Emberfox posted:

Remember persona 3 when your teacher falls for you through an MMO?

Before she even knows protagonist is "Tatsuya," she admits to having a crush on the protagonist:

quote:

he's one of my students!
he jus transferred in this year after his parents died (i will comfort him!)
maybe i can abuse my power and convince him i'm a guidance counselor
oh btw, u don't need to be jealous he's jus sumone i like, rite?

The only saving grace is that nothing happens

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yikes

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flair posted:

Before she even knows protagonist is "Tatsuya," she admits to having a crush on the protagonist:

That is almost hilarious in how hosed up that is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Flair posted:

average MMO discord server

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Amppelix posted:

now why would you think having 50 in all stats at level 10 would be gamebreaking, hmm?

they're actually broken even at the appropriate levels because all of them have completely busted unique skills, but that doesn't matter that much because royal lets you create equally busted personas all on your own if you're so inclined.

Neo Cadenza is in particular absolutely bonkers broken. It's like a 25 SP skill on a low level persona for a full party buff (and a heal!) when without it the only ways to get a full party buff outside of wasting multiple character's turns stacking are Yusuke's second awakening ultimate (90 SP) or fusing very late game personas that can get pinch anchor and Thermopylae, and even then you need to trigger a baton pass to use it.

For this run I told myself I'd only use the DLC personas if I was level appropriate and could fuse them organically vs the free compendium summon, but even then I had to force myself to shelve Opheus.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Most I did with the DLC early on this playthrough was pull out Raoul and turned him into a cool hat. Cuz free hat!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

YggiDee posted:

I'd like to see as much of the game as I can in a single playthrough, because it's ninety loving hours, I'm not doing a new game plus.

This. I didn't use a guide for vanilla P5. Never again. Did P4G with a guide and now P5R. They are simply too long for ng+ beyond going the minimum length needed to get the last trophies.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sydin posted:

Neo Cadenza is in particular absolutely bonkers broken. It's like a 25 SP skill on a low level persona for a full party buff (and a heal!) when without it the only ways to get a full party buff outside of wasting multiple character's turns stacking are Yusuke's second awakening ultimate (90 SP) or fusing very late game personas that can get pinch anchor and Thermopylae, and even then you need to trigger a baton pass to use it.

For this run I told myself I'd only use the DLC personas if I was level appropriate and could fuse them organically vs the free compendium summon, but even then I had to force myself to shelve Opheus.

Attis can always use Thermopylae with Vitality of the Tree, but Neo Cadenza costs less, heals 50% of the party’s HP, and can be extended with a trait, plus it probably won’t be until October or November you can fuse Attis.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

HaB posted:

This. I didn't use a guide for vanilla P5. Never again. Did P4G with a guide and now P5R. They are simply too long for ng+ beyond going the minimum length needed to get the last trophies.

I’m not using a guide exclusively or playing new game plus. Suck it, content!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Flair posted:

only because he dies

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ROFL Octopus posted:

Attis can always use Thermopylae with Vitality of the Tree, but Neo Cadenza costs less, heals 50% of the party’s HP, and can be extended with a trait, plus it probably won’t be until October or November you can fuse Attis.

Oh yeah I forgot Attis. But yeah point still stands Neo Cadenza is some out and out bullshit for what it gives you very early on.

HaB posted:

It's really annoying that stuff like Satanael, the Lavenza fight, etc are locked behind NG+ and you gotta do a ton of stuff to get back to them, Lavenza in particular. Really wish there was like a freeplay mode after being the game that just dropped you into the world and let you do all the NG+ content without having to basically beat the whole game again.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

Oh yeah I forgot Attis. But yeah point still stands Neo Cadenza is some out and out bullshit for what it gives you very early on.

It's really annoying that stuff like Satanael, the Lavenza fight, etc are locked behind NG+ and you gotta do a ton of stuff to get back to them, Lavenza in particular. Really wish there was like a freeplay mode after being the game that just dropped you into the world and let you do all the NG+ content without having to basically beat the whole game again.

Genuine question, is any of that stuff actually worth it? I know that’s subjective, but I really do want to know.

I sort of resent that on its face, because this game does not respect your time already.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

I sort of resent that on its face, because this game does not respect your time already.

Just be glad it's not a Yoko Taro game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BurningBeard posted:

Genuine question, is any of that stuff actually worth it? I know that’s subjective, but I really do want to know.

The Lavenza fight is basically the only fight in the entire game that actually forces you to fuse a team of optimized personas and fight intelligently. You also have to balance keeping your party alive and being aggressive because the fight is on a hidden turn timer and if you haven't pushed Lavenza to certain stages of the fight in time she quite literally gets bored and just insta-kills you.

...Or you could just get Izanagi-no-Okami Picaro and spam Myriad Truths over and over for a relatively easy win I guess.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

The Lavenza fight is basically the only fight in the entire game that actually forces you to fuse a team of optimized personas and fight intelligently. You also have to balance keeping your party alive and being aggressive because the fight is on a hidden turn timer and if you haven't pushed Lavenza to certain stages of the fight in time she quite literally gets bored and just insta-kills you.

...Or you could just get Izanagi-no-Okami Picaro and spam Myriad Truths over and over for a relatively easy win I guess.

Well I’m glad I’m an idiot then because while i don’t think the game is hard by any means it definitely poses enough distinct scenarios that i don’t feel that I’d need to beat a superboss. Maybe it’s just that this is the first SMT adjacent game that I’ve tried to complete in earnest.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So far, the most unbelievable, fantastical element of this game is the existence of a CRT television in 2016.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You kidding me? Retro stuff is huge these days

I even harvested a Trinitron some people I'm the building were throwing out a year ago, works great with a Raspberry Pi composite output

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was in fact still playing my PS3 games on a CRT during 2016.

The edges of the screen would be cut off even with the smallest display ratio and text in some games was unreadable without squinting. Would not recommend.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's a crt but also it doesn't work.
(Unless there's a tuner quest.)
It's a dedicated dvd monitor

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember when Dead Rising came out and was one of the first console games to list an HDTV as a requirement which legitimately caused people to be upset

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I remember when Dead Rising came out and was one of the first console games to list an HDTV as a requirement which legitimately caused people to be upset

It wasn't a hard requirement, like the game would boot on an SDTV, but the text font was so goddamn small that on a lower resolution TV it all blurred together and you couldn't read poo poo. Capcom's response to this "buy an HDTV you loving poors."

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Playing Dead Rising on a tiny rear end like 12 inch SDTV and being just completely unable to read anything Otis told me on the walkie talkie ftw

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

When we first played Dead Rising it was on a small second hand (from a decommissioned Navy ship, at that) CRT TV that occasionally needed a bit of percussive maintenance to work at all. Good times. Good, unreadable times.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

BurningBeard posted:

Maybe it’s just that this is the first SMT adjacent game that I’ve tried to complete in earnest.

Yeah it's a big SMT thing, at least for 3/5 (and probably 4, but that's still on my backlog) where you can get absolutely broken and then the game gives you something to throw that brokenness at. P3/P4 both had their superbosses as well, but I think it was just 4 that required NG+. They're all 100% completionist bait (and P3's in particular is just maddening RNG) and aren't so interesting in their own right that it's worth playing through the game again if you've seen it all.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It still feels weird to have P5R in my Steam library.

I mean, I'm not going to play it any time soon because lol like I'm going to do run #4 of a 90 hour JRPG when I still have the rest of my extensive backlog of JRPG garbage but hey if Atlus gives me the opportunity to buy this title for full price a third time then I'm absolutely going to do so like a good little piggy schlop schlop schlop schlop

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Personal 5 Royal with Cheese. This time Akechi has a new hat

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game was great except it being jagged as poo poo on my monitor and it turns out it was because the game's resolution was set to 1080p while my monitor was 1440p, and I never realized there was a setting to change the resolution in-game because I was only focused on GRAPHIC SETTINGS that I ignored the DISPLAY SETTINGS right under it.

Now the game's perfect.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
is persona 5 royal gonna make me cry for this dumb cat?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Reik posted:

is persona 5 royal gonna make me cry for this dumb cat?

Cry with rage, maybe

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

Meanwhile almost as broken is Kaguya/Kaguya Picaro. Silvery Barbs is the most damaging magic skill in the game (other than Myriad Truths) and only costs 22SP. Mediarama + Divine Grace gives you an absolutely awesome and pretty cheap party heal. And you've the three big resistances (physical, bless, and curse (the latter two for instakills) covered and even can do triple counter damage.

The one that looks broken but isn't is Ariadne; you almost never need an item after a baton pass. Of course Ariadne Picaro is arguably gamebreaking by electric chairing to Auto-Ma. (That said you can get the two offensive auto-Mas on a persona at level 51.)

And I swear the hardest fight in the game is Madarame's third will seed

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The hardest fight for me was the red mook in Kaneshiro's Palace that spams Zio/Physical attacks and counters Phys sometimes. And is only weak to, uh, Psio.

Fucker literally took hours from me. Once he killed me and I had to do the entire Palace over because it turned out I hadn't saved in the Safe Room. Madarame took a couple of tries and Kaneshiro took 2 tries but at least with them you can restart the boss fight. The guy that killed me was a fuckin' mook.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My hardest fight so far has been Shadow Sae which is really weird because I remembered Royal turning that fight into a joke and just absolutely styling on them. This time though I'd consistently get to the last phase where they'd just insta-kill Joker out of nowhere with almighty attacks, I finally won by having him guard every turn once the fight hit the last phase and used everybody else to clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

neonchameleon posted:

And I swear the hardest fight in the game is Madarame's third will seed

Yeah that thing’s yolked to hell