Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dyzzy posted:

It honestly sounds less fun than d2 to me

yeah that stuff isnt d2 lmao

maybe theyll do a d2r ladder where they remove teleport from the game, might be closer then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I won't poo poo on them for innovating ('innovating' ?) in modes or content that's not for me. I don't play hardcore either so it's a big 'go nuts' from me. If you prefer gaming that way I will unhesitatingly label you a masochist. Not in a shameful way!

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
It is very funny to me that they are going to actively collect feedback and presumably fine-tune a mode played by like 300 people when that energy could be spent doing anything else

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeep posted:

It is very funny to me that they are going to actively collect feedback and presumably fine-tune a mode played by like 300 people when that energy could be spent doing anything else

this is the real reason to poo poo on it, i think. if it was an actual difficulty mode and not drat Ultima Was The Best Series Ever mode, maybe more people would play it and it would deserve whatever resources it gets. instead this is gonna get more work than they used to put into races which they stopped doing because it was too hard to do

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ultima was pretty sick tho I mean facts is facts

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'm pretty excited to try it out. It's going to be so different, and I like the idea of ruthless "[redefining] the entire game as the endgame." Obviously we'll see when it comes out if it's popular, but I expect it to be far more so than the last few pages here would indicate. I'm with ziz on the movement skills thing though - give them all a long cool down instead of removing them entirely. You'd still have body blocking, level traversal, and terrain layout as meaningful mechanics but you'd have a button to push that could make or break a hardcore run if you use it right.

Also, some of y'all can get really conspiratorial about Chris and GGG. It's weird.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

I'm pretty excited to try it out. It's going to be so different, and I like the idea of ruthless "[redefining] the entire game as the endgame." Obviously we'll see when it comes out if it's popular, but I expect it to be far more so than the last few pages here would indicate. I'm with ziz on the movement skills thing though - give them all a long cool down instead of removing them entirely. You'd still have body blocking, level traversal, and terrain layout as meaningful mechanics but you'd have a button to push that could make or break a hardcore run if you use it right.

Also, some of y'all can get really conspiratorial about Chris and GGG. It's weird.
you did read the patch notes and the whole needing to talk to an NPC to refill a flask right

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

is it even that big a difference? in mapping currently, i talk to an npc after every map to sell items. in Ruthless, that npc is now Helena and also there's probably no items to sell and im just talking to her for the flasks. in the campaign, if im coming back to town its to turn in quests and talk to npcs anyway. how often are you coming back to town or hideout exclusively to touch up your flasks and heal from 1 to 80 right now in a standard character? its a very dumb tedious change but thats the mode, very dumb and tedious

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Based idea: You must listen to npc dialogue to refill your flasks.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

External Organs posted:

finally people can experience the best arpg world building to date

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

External Organs posted:

All NPCs are The Envoy...

...or Scion.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Ruthless looks fun, yo.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

As someone who played the poo poo out of this game during the beta and just kind of vaguely follows development now, they missed the key ingredient that would get me to come back for this: a time machine to bring me back to college when I had free time do deal with all this bullshit.

That plus the fact that beta PoE warts and all was trying to be a good game, while this seems to be trying to be a parody of peoples' complaints about the direction the game has taken?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I’m glad that they have finally built a sandbox for their most masochistic tendencies.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
elentor please let rutibex back in thread, but only for ruthless builds

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boo_radley posted:

elentor please let rutibex back in thread, but only for ruthless builds

lol

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I look forward to however many not-serious-developer-time-we-swear this game mode consumes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I was not expecting them to present the open beta of PoE 2 so soon

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
"Wtf, 100+ posts? Did something about 3.20 leak?"

"Oh god...."

GGG posted:

You might only find one Orb of Alchemy throughout the whole campaign.

Wait, it's just Lake of Kalandra again? :V

Jeep posted:

Hey, the way their player numbers have been going off a cliff, 300 people is notable!

Jokes aside, I dunno, I don't see any reality where Ruthless mode is good for the health of the game or the company. The game has been on a pretty big "overall nerf" spree since 3.15, and player retention has seriously reflected that. To add in something like this, for a company with such short dev cycles...it's just nonsense.

And on the surface, less items is something almost everyone is interested in. Trying to make the acts feel like endgame? The acts are widely seen as a chore, but making them feel like progression would be a good thing too. But all these things are done in such a vacuum, that there's no overall vision making sure it all works together, in neither the main game, or this new Ruthless mode (that will 100% take time and effort and balance and feedback reading and team discussions and UI and....."pet project" my rear end).

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
lmao

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
they're going to roll at least one of these changes into the base game

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

pork never goes bad posted:

I'm interested in giving it a go and seeing how far I get before giving up.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I hope Ruthless is like Diablo 3 at launch where barely anyone makes it past act 1 and if they do, are immediately slaughtered by an impenetrable wall of bees.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

poemdexter posted:

I hope Ruthless is like Diablo 3 at launch where barely anyone makes it past act zone 1 and if they do, are immediately slaughtered by an impenetrable wall of bees rhoas.

Ftfy

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I mean, if they made it past Act 1, they'd be assaulted by an impenetrable wall of monkeys.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah basically it looks less like hard PoE and a lot more like 'hilariously long and tedious PoE where you spend most of the time in blood aqueducts'

You're gonna have to get to blood aqueducts first.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol && lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

so uh anyone check out undecember yet? been seeing empy play a bit of it and it looks neat

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Imagine getting up to t5 maps and then having no maps drop at all sending you all the way back to campaign zones that provide no challenge, to farm t1 maps to try and build back up, and imagine that happening over and over again. Sounds fun, I think I'll try run a 2h mace marauder (no ascending)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Captain Foo posted:

so uh anyone check out undecember yet? been seeing empy play a bit of it and it looks neat

I watched Ziz's video on it and he was pretty soured by how not-as-bad-as-Diablo-Immortal-but-still-quite P2W it was.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Ruthless mode is there for people to say “at least it isn’t as bad as” for bad leagues.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ruthless mode is for the game to finally disappear up its own rear end

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

What Chris is trying to make PoE into isn't D2. I've been playing D2R the last month or so and honestly I don't know that it's worth coming back to PoE given what's happened the last 3 months of this game.

D2 has a shitload of early 2000s jank in it, and there is limited enough ways to really improve a character that I don't really know how much longer I do plan to keep farming in the game (I'm only trading within my friend group so I'm not going to bother getting runes to sell for FG and then buy other high runes for super high end poo poo). But also the pace of the game and actual feeling of just fighting poo poo in the game feel special in a way PoE never has, and playing D2R now makes me appreciate why D2 is good a lot more after switching over to PoE for half a decade.

Ruthless in PoE is not going to have any of the actual charm of playing an early 2000s game in it. The combat feel of PoE has always been awful, and everything is sanded down enough that you don't even get the interesting spikes of getting rushed through waypoints and powerleveling as a lvl 25 in a lvl 70 zone and suddenly shooting up 40 levels. It won't have the sudden insanity of teleport, or even the chunky bits of painful gameplay of walking into an act 3 marsh zone with Gloams when you have -40 lightning res.

Also, D2 loot is honestly not as bad as you remember, at least not for typical poo poo people get through Hell with. Yes, until you get a decent amount of MF you're not going to see a lot of rares, but also it's a game where that just doesn't actually matter as much as you think it does. Enemy HP scaling doesn't actually blow up into ridiculous levels, and neither does enemy damage for the most part. It's easy to just wear an Ancient's Pledge and Smoke through Hell to have usable resists and slowly get through the acts with random blues and yellows you find on the way. And once you get established and finish the campaign, it's very linear to just start putting MF where you can, and then just start killing particular things to try to find rare uniques. I don't see how Ruthless in PoE is going to have a decent feeling progression gear progression curve. Honestly, just making the game have no loot is the absolute worst way to make a hard mode for PoE but it's been publicly stated for a while now it's what they were going to do.

E: Last thing, one of my friends that also has played a decent amount of PoE league starts came back to PoE for the first time in over a year with Lake of Kalandra. He didn't get far enough to actually have a real opinion on the loot changes but he was playing Boneshatter because he always plays that kind of melee. He quit pretty fast because he says there's just not anything redeeming about choosing to play that kind of melee in PoE. While it's also a joke in D2 there's at least poo poo like Grief and the fact that Barbs are important characters for MF and warcries. Also he was amazed at how poo poo PoE looks visually compared to D2R since he hadn't touched PoE in a long time.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 2, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

Bitching about PoE and then pimping a P2W dumpster fire that literally asks you to pay money to res as you enter the 'end game' is sure something.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Bitching about PoE and then pimping a P2W dumpster fire that literally asks you to pay money to res as you enter the 'end game' is sure something.

What?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Reading through the Ruthless post was incredible lmao

Say what you will about GGG

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Captain Foo posted:

poe vs undecember vs torchlight infinite. dude has excellent points about how poe's f2p paradigm slows it down in ways people don't usually think about. Also undecember comes in distant 3rd for its awful p2w poo poo, mostly around rmt auctions and gear upgrades. pretty even handed.

https://youtu.be/55D5YXTdMk0

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Also is it just coincidental that all the references in that post to “making item drops feel special again” are identical to the messaging around item drops in the base game? This is like the one design goal of Ruthless I’d actually like to see achieved in the base game (although not by the same means obviously).

It also makes it much more obvious why they concentrated loot the way they did in 3.19. A spiky loot feed is inherently gonna be more exciting than a consistent one (if you tune it right ofc). They want loot to be exciting

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Holy poo poo lmao i wake up to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is just masochism but without any of the actual fun of masochism.