Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Inspector Gesicht posted:

He composed only one tune in the final game. It's difficult to believe, but the developers were full of poo poo.
That song was taken from his solo album as well, so it wasn't even composed for Rise of the Robots. Brian May did compose a full soundtrack, but it was apparently delayed due to issues with his record label so Mirage couldn't include it in the game, or at least not the original release. His soundtrack eventually made it to the 3DO version (and maybe a couple of other ports) that came out a few months later, by which point nobody gave a poo poo.

There is also a Brian May track in Rise 2: Resurrection, but I don't know if that was actually composed for the sequel or just reused from the original soundtrack barely anyone heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

ishikabibble posted:

Hasn't the bassist been pretty quiet?
I don't think John Deacon did like, much of anything after Freddie died. I'm pretty sure he's not been involved with basically anything Brian May or Roger Taylor have done.

There was some minor UK media fuss when Electric Six covered Radio Gaga and the video had the lead singer dressed as the ghost of Freddie dancing on his grave.

John Deacon's only comment was something along the lines of "I was so offended I nearly forgot to cash my royalty cheque."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Two Owls posted:

There was some minor UK media fuss when Electric Six covered Radio Gaga and the video had the lead singer dressed as the ghost of Freddie dancing on his grave.

John Deacon's only comment was something along the lines of "I was so offended I nearly forgot to cash my royalty cheque."
IIRC, Roger Taylor hated it and Brian May thought it was hilarious.

Electric Six apparently also hated the cover and especially having to release it as the lead single for their second album. Their first one had done really well in the UK, which is presumably why the record label insisted on the Queen cover, which of course ended up bombing massively. Lead singer Dick Valentine (the pleasant fellow in my avatar) did apparently enjoy making the video, at least.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ishikabibble posted:

Hasn't the bassist been pretty quiet?
I don't think John Deacon did like, much of anything after Freddie died. I'm pretty sure he's not been involved with basically anything Brian May or Roger Taylor have done.

By all accounts he was hit hardest by Freddie’s death, and turned himself into the group’s accountant after he retired in the mid-90’s.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

credburn posted:

Surpassed only recently by Cardi B's masterful "punani Dasani"

It comes from a tap and gives you cancer

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Torquemada posted:

By all accounts he was hit hardest by Freddie’s death, and turned himself into the group’s accountant after he retired in the mid-90’s.

something about this phrasing made me picture him turning himself into an accountant by tapping himself with his magic wand, like that duel between merlin and the witch in the disney sword in the stone

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
TAA-DAH!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bippity boppity bookkeeper

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah John Deacon is basically the only musician to announce his retirement and mean it. He hasn't played any of the shows with Paul Rodgers or Adam Lambert.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Deacon was always a relatively quiet person (electrical engineer by training) who just got a bit broken after Freddie died. He’s basically a recluse.

The others speak to him on occasion but describe him as very timid now. He still had to sign off on things, but is not involved much otherwise.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were piles of songs of his archived at his home. He was such a gifted writer (and those bass lines, good god) it’d be terrible if he just gave it all up.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

For the record, I didn't intend for this big Queen derailment to happen.
I just hated what was done to Freddie's last request.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

The first magazine by (and for) gay magicians
- Dave Attell

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
All the guys from Queen are really talented, but without Freddie they probably would've been AC/DC tier at best. A classic rock band with a few big hits, rather than a cultural icon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sir Lemming posted:

All the guys from Queen are really talented, but without Freddie they probably would've been AC/DC tier at best. A classic rock band with a few big hits, rather than a cultural icon.

The band existed before Freddie came along, as Smile. The fact that most people don't know this kind of sums it up.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

By popular demand posted:

For the record, I didn't intend for this big Queen derailment to happen.
I just hated what was done to Freddie's last request.

Honestly though, I kind of feel like his friends and bandmates are in a better position to judge what Freddie would have wanted than I, a random fan of his who never met him, am.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Show must go on.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

granted I’m Australian but … damning a band to be as popular as AC/DC is pretty funny. As popular as an equally popular band? I don’t think anyone says AC/DC is as quality as Queen but they’re not exactly slumming it on that RSL circuit.

An actual thing that aged poorly is probably the lyrics for March Of The Black Queen, from Queen II. They quietly erased the N word from most available releases.

What’s aged well is the genius basslines that Deacon gave the world in Under Pressure, Another One Bites The Dust and Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sir Lemming posted:

Niche band, AC/DC

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
God, I wish AC/DC were niche.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Sure, sure - AC/DC are rightly an institution in Australia, but are they niche in the rest of the world? I've always wondered if they were truly an international act, or if they were more like... John Farnham.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jedit posted:

The band existed before Freddie came along, as Smile. The fact that most people don't know this kind of sums it up.

IIRC Smile existed for like a year and a half and recorded 6 songs while its members were mainly focused on being grad students. It's not like Queen was an overnight success.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

By popular demand posted:

To bring back the debate to the subject of the thread: while Lemmy was from all accounts the nicest most considerate person his love of adding Nazi stuff to his wardrobe did not age well.
I get it, in the 80's it was considered another way to stick it up to high society but it really wasn't a good choice for an aesthetic.

When you do stuff that gets the monocles dropping and breaking in the champagne glasses you can over do it maybe.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I live in Canada, and if I turn on the radio, I will hear AC/DC within an hour on almost any station. This has been the case my entire life. It's also played in stores, bars, sports games. The highway to hell has no exits.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm an American who lived briefly in Australia. Us yanks dig AC/DC plenty, but the Aussies take their love to another level in my experience.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think it's kind of like that line from the Rocky movies, when Apollo Creed tells him "You fight great, but I'm a great fighter."

Like, when you think of Queen, if you're not immediately thinking of Bohemian Rhapsody, then you're thinking of Freddie Mercury.

When you hear an iconic AC/DC song, you're not thinking of the band or it's members, you're thinking "Hell yeah, it's that classic kickin' rad song."

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

the_steve posted:

I think it's kind of like that line from the Rocky movies, when Apollo Creed tells him "You fight great, but I'm a great fighter."

Like, when you think of Queen, if you're not immediately thinking of Bohemian Rhapsody, then you're thinking of Freddie Mercury.

Sorry, I only think about the Flash Gordon soundtrack.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

SiKboy posted:

Honestly though, I kind of feel like his friends and bandmates are in a better position to judge what Freddie would have wanted than I, a random fan of his who never met him, am.

ok but like if freddie literally expressed what he wanted and then they did something else so that it would make them money, which is what it sounds like, i think that's lovely. just because "they knew him" doesn't mean they are going to do what's right when he's no longer around instead of doing what makes them more money, that's very rare in human beings actually

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Moreau posted:

Sure, sure - AC/DC are rightly an institution in Australia, but are they niche in the rest of the world? I've always wondered if they were truly an international act, or if they were more like... John Farnham.

Gargantuan. Back in Black is one of the best selling albums of all time, in any genre.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Yeah they're huge. I don't really follow music at all and I know who AC/DC are.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Acdc sucks

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
AC/D-who??

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Honestly they’re so ubiquitous I can’t even say they suck. They’re like McDonalds, objectively not actually good, but so omnipresent and inoffensive it’s hard to get angry about them. ‘Ride On’ is pretty good, in the same way I occasionally get a craving for a Big Mac.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I've worked in a lot of redneck dive bars and people just love playing Thunder 3-4 times a night

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Thunder’s Truck

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Torquemada posted:

Thunder’s Truck

Thirty Thieves and the Thunder Chief

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I thought they were saying Thunder Chief when I was a kid.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

verbal enema posted:

I've worked in a lot of redneck dive bars and people just love playing Thunder 3-4 times a night

Whenever I hear that song I think of the short lived TV show Carpoolers, because that was where I first heard it.

Carpoolers being best remembered as the other show in the Cavemen ABC comedy block, and the first acting credit of TJ Miller. I still liked it 15 years ago.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

christmas boots posted:

Niche band, AC/DC

I meant it as kind of a backhanded compliment really. AC/DC are well-known and good at playing rock music, much like the other guys in Queen.

But they're still not Queen.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

But they're still not Queen.

Yea, but they’re more current than anything though :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

the_steve posted:

When you hear an iconic AC/DC song, you're not thinking of the band or it's members, you're thinking "Hell yeah, it's that classic kickin' rad song."

Angus Young posted:

“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.”

Best defense ever.