Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can’t really sympathise with dorks who aren’t willing to drop €10 on a cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know that calling it single player Hunt is right, though it's old West + spooky things so I'm guessing that's where most of the comparison comes from.

The shooting isn't what I would call good, but it's serviceable and you get to wait 15 years to reload a single-shot revolver chamber by chamber, so it does have the lovely mid-19th-century low-bloodline-rank-Hunt weapons if that's what you're after.

It really isn't an FPS, though - the best way I can describe it is as "open-map immersive sim stealth survival horror." It has the combination of sneaking and shooting mechanics you'd expect from an immersive sim, along with survival horror resource management, putting a much bigger emphasis on stealth than shooting, on an open map that isn't big enough to be called open world.

It also reminds me of STALKER in some ways, including the focus on finding magical artefacts that give you positive and negative effects (and obviously STALKER is also an open-map immersive-sim adjacent FPS with stealth and looting/resource management).

I've only put about an hour into it, but I like it so far.

drat, that's disheartening to hear that the combat blows and to learn that it's more of a survival game.
I don't even like Hunt as a game either but I love the aesthetic and gunfeel, just wish sweaty live players weren't a thing.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 1, 2022

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
AFAIK the Cultic dev hasn't even started work on the next chapter. He really did himself a disservice by releasing chapters instead of just making them Cultic 1 and 2. The word 'chapter' does imply that it's the first half of a whole - and that may be true in terms of plot but as a video game it really does feel like a finished product.

Tho I do understand the people in the thread wanting to knock all of ~Cultic~ out in one go so you can just experience the two parts in one sitting. Especially since we all generally have backlogs to get through.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 1, 2022

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can’t really sympathise with dorks who aren’t willing to drop €10 on a cool game.

And if you can't justify 10€ then you can currently even pay 2€ less on GreenManGaming!

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 1, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Angryhead posted:

And if you can't justify 10€ then you can currently evenpay 2€ less on GreenManGaming!

Just fyi, this is still $11.49 in :canada:

drat, I definitely would have picked it up.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Serephina posted:

The Godfather was originally written and released as a standalone, and having sequels spoke to its success as such. A more apt cinema comparison would be the Hobbit trilogy maybe? Dunno, haven't picked up Cultic yet, but I can sympathize with people getting tired of the way games are currently being released.

edit:

Which games you thinking of specifically? I know of a lot of stuff that annoyed me but none of them where FPS's.
I was making fun of people not wanting to buy Cultic Episode 1 because there's going to be a Cultic Episode 2 eventually, which has not even begun development yet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Angryhead posted:

And if you can't justify 10€ then you can currently even pay 2€ less on GreenManGaming!

dang still :10bux: in usa

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I picked up my replay that I took off the burner 2 weeks ago just to see how I felt about it now and while the honeymoon period is "over" I still think the game is great and am baffled by the few opinions I see to the contrary. But I really don't like anything involving platform sections, especially those that require precision jumps. I don't know what it is but it's just frustrating at times. Fortunately they're not super common but it is a con

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gaspy Conana posted:

AFAIK the Cultic dev hasn't even started work on the next chapter. He really did himself a disservice by releasing chapters instead of just making them Cultic 1 and 2. The word 'chapter' does imply that it's the first half of a whole - and that may be true in terms of plot but as a video game it really does feel like a finished product.

I can definitely see this. Cultic Chapter 1 is a cohesive unit (and a fantastic deal for US$9.99) but the semantics suggest it being part of something rather than it's own "thing". I don't have much of a problem with it beyond recognizing the issue, but maybe it would have been better to call Chapter 1 something like "Cultic: Rise From Your Grave" and then Chapter 2 could instead be called "Cultic: The Ham Sandwich Mystery" etc.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gaspy Conana posted:

Tho I do understand the people in the thread wanting to knock all of ~Cultic~ out in one go so you can just experience the two parts in one sitting. Especially since we all generally have backlogs to get through.

I already thought you were right that it should've been Cultic and Cultic 2 and you're even more right after I've played it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Edit: nvm this is dumb.

The AVGN and his retreating hairline has a new episode about Doom with a special guest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5zyhC11hzQ

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 1, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I don't see how the dev did himself a disservice; what difference does it make whether it's called 1 and 2 or episode 1 and 2 or chapter 1 and 2.

because some dumbasses won't buy it just because it's called chapter 1 or whatever

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if people already explained that they'd rather play the whole finished product i don't know what the use is in pretending you don't know what their reasoning is

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm sorry I'm not going to read your posts until you've posted every post you'll ever post.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The AVGN and his retreating hairline has a new episode about Doom with a special guest.

This was pretty good. Really brings me back to my first impressions of the game.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Naughty Dog was clever to rename Last Of Us to Last Of Us Part 1 only after Last Of Us Part 2 was released.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cultic: Chapter 1 is a full experience that is well worth your time and will last you several hours. It also has lots of replay value.

This weird quibbling over the title is loving dumb.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'd play halo infinite but it's never going to reach infinity

(that's a joke of course. i played halo infinite and didn't like it)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Cultic Chapter One took me 10 hours (according to my Steam playtime) on Extreme difficulty. Not at all a bad price for what I paid, and I'll probably go back for a victory lap on a lower difficulty at some point.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that really cool looking FPS book someone mentioned earlier is now up for preorder!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that really cool looking FPS book someone mentioned earlier is now up for preorder!

https://www.bitmapbooks.com/products/i-m-too-young-to-die-the-ultimate-guide-to-first-person-shooters-1992-2002

This, for anyone wondering.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gaspy Conana posted:

This is what I was trying to get at with my dumb godfather joke, thanks :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quoting this to point out that you get a pdf of the book when you purchase it, no need to wait for the thing to turn up in the post!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Deakul posted:

drat, that's disheartening to hear that the combat blows and to learn that it's more of a survival game.
I don't even like Hunt as a game either but I love the aesthetic and gunfeel, just wish sweaty live players weren't a thing.

PvPvE just makes pretty much every game it's attached to worse, all the worst aspects of PvP and PvE with none of the benefits

Milo and POTUS posted:

I picked up my replay that I took off the burner 2 weeks ago just to see how I felt about it now and while the honeymoon period is "over" I still think the game is great and am baffled by the few opinions I see to the contrary. But I really don't like anything involving platform sections, especially those that require precision jumps. I don't know what it is but it's just frustrating at times. Fortunately they're not super common but it is a con

The weird thing is unlike a lot of FPS games it's not because of the actual jump mechanics, Cultic Guy can jump pretty good, the issue is that the hit detection for platforms(or indeed edges in general, it's really noticeable on those small spiral staircases for example) is really wonky depending on the angle you're approaching it from

Volte posted:

Cultic Chapter One took me 10 hours (according to my Steam playtime) on Extreme difficulty. Not at all a bad price for what I paid, and I'll probably go back for a victory lap on a lower difficulty at some point.

Was about 5 and a half hours on Casual* for me

*which in spite of the name is more like the normal difficulty of most games, still a good bit of challenge(like getting hit by a Harvester chainsaw will still take off about half your health, same if you get whacked by a physics object a Ghost tosses at you), also lets you indulge in action movie style rampages a bit more than higher difficulties

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Game looks really cool but imma wait until they've released every wad in 1.0 before i try it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The FPS book is on my Christmas list. I have their point and click adventure book and it’s cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

The FPS book is on my Christmas list. I have their point and click adventure book and it’s cool.

Oh sweet, didn't see that one. They look like great gifts and if you buy them you get a PDF so I can also read them on my ipad :cheers:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

”John Romero” posted:

Remember: those that fail to learn from history - are DOOMed to repeat it.

This may explain the current climate

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

drrockso20 posted:

The weird thing is unlike a lot of FPS games it's not because of the actual jump mechanics, Cultic Guy can jump pretty good, the issue is that the hit detection for platforms(or indeed edges in general, it's really noticeable on those small spiral staircases for example) is really wonky depending on the angle you're approaching it from

Oh no you're right cultic guy (lol not as catchy as doom guy buy a mile) can jump like a frog on steroids. And it does seem related to the geometry obviously (most of you've played it)

e: now that I think about it, what's this guy's vert? Really does seem like he should be in the nba. I can jump out of a giant trench no problem

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 2, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like that if you throw a kick I'm the air while you jump you go higher, so his best vertical is one-legged while doing a split.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I keep having to take breaks with Cultic. Its setpieces can get genuinely really tense and creepy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I usually keep it to one level a day when I do decide to play it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The game definitely strikes a pretty fantastic balance between creepy set pieces and power fantasy--which is something DUSK did a pretty good job at as well, come to think of it. I love that level where you start off wandering through the woods in the quiet dark--with little more than the faint illumination of a truck or a campfire in the distance to direct you--and you're just waiting for the other foot to drop. And when the Corpses suddenly appear, you only have until the first one leaps at you to figure out that they're not the shuffling, dumb zombies we're used to--no, these fuckers can lead you with their jumps like DOOM 2016's imps lead you with their fireballs, and they seem to suddenly be everywhere, but it's too dark to really figure out how many are out there before you're backpedaling through the woods and tossing molotovs like a maniac.

Hell, I even loved crawling through the crypts with the flashlight and catching a glimpse of the first MR MOUTH MAN off in the distance and knowing that at some point I'm going to be in the same room with whatever that thing was.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 2, 2022

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Adding to the CULTIC owns pile, bought it and played two and a half hours yesterday.
Very cool (and surprisingly creepy!) set pieces.

Milo and POTUS posted:

But I really don't like anything involving platform sections, especially those that require precision jumps. I don't know what it is but it's just frustrating at times. Fortunately they're not super common but it is a con
This is my only real complaint so far too, it's like weirdly slippery or something.
Like even with the very first secret hint in the first level (jump on a door to get into a vent duct) it took some tries to figure out whether it was even possible to jump on that door frame... yes, it is, the collision detection/physics for it is just quite twitchy.

I'm playing on the Deck and the performance isn't totally perfect 60 but I turned the settings down a bit and it's consistent enough! The demo didn't show controller bindings but the full version totally does (and the aim assist helps a scrub like me get through the game fine)

https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/status/1587669515952828416

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

PvPvE just makes pretty much every game it's attached to worse, all the worst aspects of PvP and PvE with none of the benefits

I played a few free weekends of HUNT and I agree with this. If the game was pure PvE coop would be perfect for me but right now I don't care about getting shot from 200m away by a guy with a sniper rifle while we're fighting one of the NPC objectives.

For me is either PvP or PvE, the mix never ends well (like the Dark Zone in The Division 1 and 2 for example).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is free at GOG right now! https://www.gog.com/game/jazz_jackrabbit_2_collection

(I refuse to believe there are people who played Doom in the 90's but not Jazz Jackrabbit)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I never played Jazz Jackrabbit in the 90s.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I never played Jazz Jackrabbit. I thought it looked like a knockoff of Duke Nukem with Commander Keen sensibilities.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volte posted:

I never played Jazz Jackrabbit. I thought it looked like a knockoff of Duke Nukem with Commander Keen sensibilities.

Its like if you gave Sonic the Hedgehog a gun so its terrible and uncontrollable but I have fondness for it versus the other two you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I have Jazz Jackrabbit's level 1 music permanently embedded in my brain