Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
an engineer rides off in the night with a packet labeled TOP SECRET TESLA FIRE ESCAPE SOLUTION tucked under their arm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1587566285151420419?s=46&t=O3b4eNn7FBqWkiNLRopORA

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone should shank him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Twitter employees: he's going to fire you anyway, just tell him to gently caress off.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kazil posted:

Twitter employees: he's going to fire you anyway, just tell him to gently caress off.

yep, as soon as he's streamlined enough, no one is safe

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Muskie's already changed his Twitter bio to "Twitter Complaint Hotline Operator."

This one should make his life easier, from a verified account.

https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1587556854237827072

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
(died badly (like a dog))

edit: drat, clicked the tweet and he beat me to it
https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1587559537111801856

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 2, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I always feel I should point out in these conversations, and yes I know I'm pissing in the wind here.

Crunch doesn't work

I mean Henry Ford and his time motion guys figured this out a 100 years ago.

He didn't bring in the 40 hour week because he was a kind-hearted lover of the working man.

As hours worked rises past 40 hours, errors multiply and producivity falls through the floor.

You can be working as low as 25% efficency when pulling prolonged 80 hour weeks, that is 20 hours of actual useful work done, half of what you could have done with a sane schedule.

This really isn't Rocket Science.

People aren't Robots. If you attempt to treat them like they are, what you actually will get is Zombies.

Who *Spoiler Alert* aren't very good at coding.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok but crunch and stack ranking appeal to narcissists so….????

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

and yes I know I'm pissing in the wind here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crunch is just capitalism. It’s what it does m.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Xakura posted:

Again, he wanted to migrate from linux servers to windows servers. In like 2000.

This is right? Elon Musk migrated PayPal from windows to linux and then back to windows all before Bin Laden could crash planes into the WTC?

I’m understanding this right? I’d like to know more.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

This is the same kind of poo poo he does with SpaceX employees.

The difference is that jobs with cutting-edge spaceflight companies are extremely rare, while an experienced software engineer in today's market can land a job in literal hours -- especially if you have Twitter on your resume!

The exodus is going to be fun to watch.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deptfordx posted:

I always feel I should point out in these conversations, and yes I know I'm pissing in the wind here.

Crunch doesn't work

I mean Henry Ford and his time motion guys figured this out a 100 years ago.

It works, for desk jobs like coders rather than manual labor factory workers, for short periods of time.

It's still a bad plan -- you don't get 2x productivity from working 2x hours, and after a while you get burnout so people are less productive than they were without it. But when you have a deadline you can get more done in that time.

(And in this case twitter employees should say gently caress off, because working 12 hour days 7 days a week for an rear end in a top hat who has been talking about firing everyone is a stupid deal to take.)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
An engineer who looks for a new job for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week will soon have a lot more to show for it than if they spend that time coding for Elon.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea, this will keep only the developers that are desperate to keep this job because they aren't sure how easy it'll be to get another. All the top developers will bounce the moment they have something else, or sooner if they've saved up some money.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
There isn’t even a crappy reason to do this like appeasing shareholders at the next fiscal quarter or twitter ready to die next week and needing emergency revenue is there? It’s purely about appeasing Musk’s ego.

Elon Musk: move fast and break things people

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well Musk needs cash pretty desperately

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

yook posted:

There isn’t even a crappy reason to do this like appeasing shareholders at the next fiscal quarter or twitter ready to die next week and needing emergency revenue is there? It’s purely about appeasing Musk’s ego.

Elon Musk: move fast and break things people

It's about Elon looking like a tech + business genius by coming in and immediately turning things around and getting twitter profitable!

If that doesn't happen it would mean he spent $44 billion in the dumbest possible way!

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

kdrudy posted:

Yea, this will keep only the developers that are desperate to keep this job because they aren't sure how easy it'll be to get another. All the top developers will bounce the moment they have something else, or sooner if they've saved up some money.

The top developers won't even need to find another job because the headhunters are literally just hitting ctrl-f twitter and sending out emails saying "I've got an opportunity for you"

The day I discovered that there was a second tier of employment where you just used your contacts and reputation and were just given jobs without an interview blew my mind.

Like what rich kids get but for middle-class white male engineers.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kazil posted:

It's about Elon looking like a tech + business genius by coming in and immediately turning things around and getting twitter profitable!

If that doesn't happen it would mean he spent $44 billion in the dumbest possible way!

twitter has to make a billion more dollars per year to pay off the debt elon took on to buy it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kazil posted:

This.

Tesla stock is still wildly overpriced even with the recent slide. The more Elon looks like an idiot who made a series of really stupid moves, the less his stans believe that he's the magic man.

The lower Tesla stock goes, the more he has to sell / use as collateral for his multi-billion loans.

In the worst case he basically trades most of Tesla and SpaceX for owning Twitter, which is exactly like the boy who traded the cows for some beans. (Except that twitter beans don't make a magic beanstalk when you plant them, they make a magic pile of poo poo.)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

(died badly (like a dog))

edit: drat, clicked the tweet and he beat me to it
https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1587559537111801856

This is some premium post modern satire. I have few doubts this is the best thread on twitter right now

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 2, 2022

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
How much do you think elon paid for his hair? I’m a bald dude who doesn’t use twitter, so I don’t really give a poo poo what he does to it, but he did seem to find a cure for baldness that actually looks pretty good (when he isn’t cutting it into stupid styles, that is.) Imagine the folicular science he could have fostered for the masses with 40 billion dollars and whatever team he assembled to reseed his head.

Spider-man dinosaur comic where elon says he doesn’t want to cure baldness. In the land where everyone has hair, the finely coifed are no longer special.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at Musk and Donnie being like Eustace from Courage the Dog and ruining the world because they cant deal with having bad hair genes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Musk doing the Liz Truss Doctrine on Twitter

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Wifi Toilet posted:

How much do you think elon paid for his hair? I’m a bald dude who doesn’t use twitter, so I don’t really give a poo poo what he does to it, but he did seem to find a cure for baldness that actually looks pretty good (when he isn’t cutting it into stupid styles, that is.) Imagine the folicular science he could have fostered for the masses with 40 billion dollars and whatever team he assembled to reseed his head.

Spider-man dinosaur comic where elon says he doesn’t want to cure baldness. In the land where everyone has hair, the finely coifed are no longer special.

What is the deal with megalomaniacs with weird hair? See also Trump, Boris Johnson and Zuckerberg.

Bezos lucked out by going bald.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Wifi Toilet posted:

hair transplants like that are expensive as gently caress cus they have to like manually surgically implant one bunch of 1-4 follicles at a time, multiplied by a few thousand. lots of slow expensive high-skilled surgeon labor
also it can't actually cure baldness, they are just surgically cutting out bits of skin from where your hair is thicker and moving it to where it's thinner.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Valko posted:

What is the deal with megalomaniacs with weird hair? See also Trump, Boris Johnson and Zuckerberg.

Why is he shaped like a jart?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

hair transplants like that are expensive as gently caress cus they have to like manually surgically implant one bunch of 1-4 follicles at a time, multiplied by a few thousand. lots of slow expensive high-skilled surgeon labor
also it can't actually cure baldness, they are just surgically cutting out bits of skin from where your hair is thicker and moving it to where it's thinner.

they super do work though, and are a reasonably common medical tourism practice. one time I was in istanbul and walked down a street past a bunch of pals who were clearly there to get it together - the recovery looks kind of unpleasant but whatever, hair is hair.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Wifi Toilet posted:

From a friend who did it. $20k. But he wasn't super bald.
Just had medium monk crown.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

From a friend who did it. $20k. But he wasn't super bald.
Just had medium monk crown.

that’s a lotta drat money

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SolTerrasa posted:

The recovery looks kind of unpleasant but whatever, hair is hair.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

The vast majority of users are unverified this does nothing outside the very top end

Being verified sadly makes some people very excited as (up until now) it denotes some kind of celebrity or at least someone/something with clout or importance. So I'm sure when it goes live a truly depressing number of wannabe Youtubers, influencers, actors, singers, etc. are gonna jump at the chance to be on the same "level" as actual celebrities. Oh and definitely conspiracy theorists and/or their blogs will love to be on the same level as the New York Times. Now the real test will be after one month when there's an overabundance of verified people, who's gonna care enough to keep it.

It does put every politician in a fun Mexican stand-off where I'm sure they're all waiting on somebody to get un-verified so they can defraud each other.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

a little known fact is that when you get a hair transplant, you inherit thoughts and traits of the donor, but only the bad ones.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Buce posted:

a little known fact is that when you get a hair transplant, you inherit thoughts and traits of the donor, but only the bad ones.

"Mr. Musk, your donor hair has come from a, uh (flipping through records)... Abbie Normal."

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Twitter has ads!?

Posts to the forum must now originate via Twitter

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jimprov/status/1587594263239557120

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You can't fool me into spending :thirtybux: for :eightbux: :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Valko posted:

Zuck is obsessed with a Roman emperor so cuts his hair that way on purpose :laffo: