Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Only one of them has an ending where they turn into dogs or something, tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Nyoro posted:

Only one of them has an ending where they turn into dogs or something, tbf

they had secretly been dogs the whole time

(a much better twist than "the killer is you")

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FirstAidKite posted:

Goosebumps was mostly just goofy weird spoooooky but AYAOTD was nightmare fuel. Dead Man's Float scared the hell out of me.

The loving clown nose episode!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Goosebumps had some hosed up stuff. For every ending that was "the bad monster shrivelled away to nothing" there was an ending that was "and my clone pretended to be me, succeeded, and I was dragged away to be imprisoned forever" or "my grandparents, actually ghosts, now needed to decide if they were going to kill me" or something like that.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Goosebumps is basically Literary Twilight Zone for the elementary and young intermediate age groups, and are written on that level. I don't know how popular they are anymore, but they got kids excited about reading, so they're cool with me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Wake me up the next time when the next Devotion-level experience comes out.

Achtung

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Lunatic Sledge posted:

not horror per se but definitely in the realm of poo poo it's hard to believe they sold to kids, Beetlejuice not only had a pretty drat good cartoon but that cartoon got Burger King Kid's Meal toys

I loved that cartoon as a kid, and I love it now. :colbert: Better than the movie!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Goosebumps Horrorland adventure game was sick as hell..I'm sure it's not remotely scary at all but when I was a little kid it had parts that made me so anxious I had a hard time getting through it. Like when the mummy chases you through a vent or there was some like optional area I refused to ever go to (I think it was like the sewers? or something) where you could get extra stuff but were chased in a maze by a monster the whole time.

e: This loving thing

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 2, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
That reminds me of playing Ultima Underworld 2, a game which ostensibly was not supposed to be scary, but when I left the castle I was terrified as a young 'un. Then there was some place where I fell into a water pit with some tentacled beast inside and I after covering the screen with one hand while I navigated to the exit button with the other, I decided I didn't want to play this game anymore.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The scariest thing in Escape from Horrorland is Jeff Goldblum's acting badum tish

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
Escape From Horrorland absolutely slapped and that weird Goosebumps Mutant game that came out after was sick as hell too

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
When I was a kid I thought Chex Quest had a super spooky and unsettling atmosphere, partially because I'd never played a first person game before.

Speaking of I talked to a German person I knew recently and she played it because she enjoyed Doom and was going through Doom wads and she legit did not know Chex was an American cereal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1587794239848677377?t=mTWNp0sC28mueqrzGO6--A&s=19

Supermassive announced another Dark Pictures Anthology game and they're doing another rail shooter, absolutely lmao. What is their addiction to rail shooters?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CuddleCryptid posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1587794239848677377?t=mTWNp0sC28mueqrzGO6--A&s=19

Supermassive announced another Dark Pictures Anthology game and they're doing another rail shooter, absolutely lmao. What is their addiction to rail shooters?

I think Sony probably pays them pretty well to make these VR games, and I think the first one had decent sales. The other VR game which was more like what they usually make didn't do so well I believe.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

The Until Dawn rail shooter is really good. Like a lost Carnevil VR game.

But I mean rail shooters are just the default proof of concept for VR like Nintendo releasing touch to move games on the DS.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'll take a rail shooter over another Little Hope

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I love vr horror so I'm down for this, but lol at the concept of buying a psvr when I already have two occuli

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Nothing wrong with rail shooters, they were the best thing about the Wii and PS Move

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Morpheus posted:

That reminds me of playing Ultima Underworld 2, a game which ostensibly was not supposed to be scary, but when I left the castle I was terrified as a young 'un. Then there was some place where I fell into a water pit with some tentacled beast inside and I after covering the screen with one hand while I navigated to the exit button with the other, I decided I didn't want to play this game anymore.

There was a bit in Dungeon Master on the Apple IIGS where you descend into an area that's a lot darker and creepier than the last stretch of the place had been, and then suddenly you'd turn around and monster in your face. Scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
When I was a kid playing The Sims 1, I didn't know the game had ghosts (I never let my Sims die)....and I screamed and turned the game off the first time I came across one wandering around the Goth's house. :kiddo:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/panstasz/status/1587873238851502080?t=JLxfnyI1zIqGfj5D6yVp6g&s=19

In case anyone has been having buggy saves like me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unless I am missing something I think Signalis hosed me over and I probably can't beat it now.

I am missing the fire key for the 5 lock door, which I eventually looked up is in the sword safe nearby. Apparently I need the correct radio frequency to get the code, but even though I distinctly remember seeing that document ( looked it up eventually) it's sure as hell not in my notes and the internet says says it was in the interrogation room, which I cannot get back to because the elevator breaks when you go to level 3. So I have no idea what frequency to use to unlock it. Both the code and the frequency appear to be random too so there is noway to just look it up. I really hope I'm missing something, because as far a I can tell the only way I could possibly progress is trying every single code. I already tried every one I could find manually and none of them worked.

Tbh I hate the radio. Everything else about the game has been cool, but scrubbing around the radio is just boring and annoying and now it's ruined the entire game. Cool.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I recall the sword safe to be on the same floor as the note.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I could have sworn it was in the first main area. I'll have to check again tomorrow but I'm like 99% sure.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Pardon me for asking I recall you need the frequency document to solve a puzzle in the previous floor so how is it even possible to miss it?

I might be misremembering

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Could be either of us Im getting less certain but yeah the note is key to more than one thing so if you're at this point you already used its information to solve something else.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think I'm the one person on earth who thinks the length of Alien Isolation is completely fine. The back half of the game certainly has some memorable moments and I think the game actually does a decent job of mixing up the encounter design. Despite being twice (if not thrice) as long as some of the other chase/being stalked games out there, I don't find Isolation as breathless or stressful.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's good Isolation is 25 hours long because were never getting another

Also, this. If Isolation is comparable to the movies in any way whatsoever, it's that we're never getting anything as good as something based off the first one ever again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No way I loved the length of Alien Isolation. Maybe it's just a tad long with a few environments repeated too much, but I've played it 3 times and never been bored. For the most part I don't think it's poorly paced or anything and I like most of the stuff people tend to complain about like fighting androids, which I think breaks up the monotony of constant hide and seek.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

veni veni veni posted:

For the most part I don't think it's poorly paced or anything and I like most of the stuff people tend to complain about like fighting androids, which I think breaks up the monotony of constant hide and seek.

Also, the synthetics might actually be scarier than the Xeno. They're a legit horror gaming nightmare in their own right.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I can't get too worried about synthetics because they're so easily handled by stun prodding them and bonking them with a wrench. Or just running away they're not super threatening.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Good news! We now know what Symbiogenesis is!

Bad news!

https://twitter.com/symbiogenesisPR/status/1588034548591341568?s=19
It's loving NFT bullshit.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

BisbyWorl posted:

Bad news!

Hasn't Square's president gotten the memo this poo poo is dead? That one or that people who buy games don't like NFTs at all

rox
Sep 7, 2016

BisbyWorl posted:

Bad news!

:(

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Hasn't Square's president gotten the memo this poo poo is dead? That one or that people who buy games don't like NFTs at all

I'm gonna assume given corporate momentum that they probably started plans to do this way back when NFTs were taking off and it was too late to stop

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's definitely someone's baby and nobody can kill it. Just lmao

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Unless I am missing something I think Signalis hosed me over and I probably can't beat it now.

I am missing the fire key for the 5 lock door, which I eventually looked up is in the sword safe nearby. Apparently I need the correct radio frequency to get the code, but even though I distinctly remember seeing that document ( looked it up eventually) it's sure as hell not in my notes and the internet says says it was in the interrogation room, which I cannot get back to because the elevator breaks when you go to level 3. So I have no idea what frequency to use to unlock it. Both the code and the frequency appear to be random too so there is noway to just look it up. I really hope I'm missing something, because as far a I can tell the only way I could possibly progress is trying every single code. I already tried every one I could find manually and none of them worked.

Tbh I hate the radio. Everything else about the game has been cool, but scrubbing around the radio is just boring and annoying and now it's ruined the entire game. Cool.

Even if you don't know which frequency is for what, there's only so many that actually give you codes for the safes. If you don't see a string of numbers appear below the dials then you're not tuned into a relevant frequency. Just write down the numbers and try them all until you get the one that unlocks it, assuming you actually can't get the page connecting the safes to a given frequency. You can recognize the safe frequencies because they sound like Morse code.

edit: Forgot about the second step to the sword safe code, but even if you don't actually have the frequencies to safe document in your memories section and can't get it it's just a little more annoying rather than impossible.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 3, 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

They sold off a bunch of very popular game franchises (except maybe by SE standards) to fund this NFT garbage. Since the president can't admit he screwed up, they are going to waste a bunch of money on it and then quietly kill it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Who knew the powerhouse of the cell was built with blockchain.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

IIRC the frequency list is ontop of the radio so you wouldn't have missed that. I don't remember where the sword cipher is located but I think it is also on the same floor as the sword safe.

There is some clumsiness in Signalis' design that I can forgive by being basically a two-person indie project. Like the photograph eyeball should be a feature not a tool that takes up inventory which is redundant because I just point my phone at the TV anyways.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BisbyWorl posted:

Bad news!

Is this the thing people decided was probably a Parasite Eve remake?