Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

M_Gargantua posted:

Imagine being able to move five stones at once, without even the slow encumbrance penalty of one stone! Science!

that's an excellent argument for using wheelbarrows

minecarts as far as i can tell still have no use-case except for quantum stockpile exploits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

minecarts as far as i can tell still have no use-case except for quantum stockpile exploits
Complex kinetic traps along with complex kinetic/chemical traps If you combine lava with minecart derailings.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wheelbarrows still only carry one at a time. Can minecarts carry more? I honestly don’t know, but if yes you could move more over a larger distance with fewer dwarves.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm thinking about taking a day off work, not to play this but to watch twitch streamers who have no idea what they're getting into try to play it for the first time LIVE BEFORE THOUSANDS

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 57 days!
hoooooipe

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clocks posted:

I think last time I played DF was like 7 years ago so I am hella excited to completely fail at baby's first fortress on steam in a month!

hell, same.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They're massively handy unless you're doing a microfort. Bringing all the ore/gems/pretty rocks from a far-flung mine to your crafters and smelters with simple dwarfpower is finicky as hell. Having a mine stockpile feeding into a minecart that runs to a stockpile near your crafters and smelters is far easier.

If you like to move all your metalworking to the shores of the magma sea, but leave your main fort in the regular rock layers, it becomes even more useful to have rapid bulk movement of the products of those forges.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you don't abandon the whole rock-layer fort to relocate it all to the layer right above the magma sea, are you even a dwarf

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
If you know how they work, it's easier to get a minecart full of lava up 100 floors than a similar pumpstack.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Between this and the Slitherine Master of Magic remake, it's going to be a very happy holiday

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Is there a shortlist of “most significant changes” somewhere? Like a super broadstroke executive summary…items like “graphics” and “multi-threaded” or something as applicable.
  • Pixel-art tile graphics
  • Reworked UI to allow for such innovative new contraptions as "a mouse" and "tooltips"
  • A short tutorial to get you into the swing of things
  • New 15-track soundtrack
  • Some ambient sound effects

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Kins posted:

• Pixel-art tile graphics
  • Reworked UI to allow for such innovative new contraptions as "a mouse" and "tooltips"
  • A short tutorial to get you into the swing of things
  • New 15-track soundtrack
  • Some ambient sound effects

Lovely, thank you

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Very curious what the day 1 Steam stats are for this. I think it's gonna be big, 30k peak.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The win condition in Dwarf Fortress is doing fan art and writing and recording songs for a succession fort and having no one in your life you can share it with.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

The last time I played Dwarf Fortress was when the map was single-layer, so I probably have a lot of learning to do

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cheap Trick posted:

The last time I played Dwarf Fortress was when the map was single-layer, so I probably have a lot of learning to do

Nah you’re fine just go for it

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So you could potentially set up a minecart system where you set up a stone stockpile down on your mining layer, and then dig out and carve in minecart tracks all the way from there back up to your stonecrafting area. Then you could set a minecart stop there that loads from that stockpile and then have it dump into a quantum stockpile at the other end. The alternative is upping the "wheelbarrow count" to 3 on a big stockpile next to your workshops and going off to build a big monument of a dwarf penis that ejaculates lava.

Edit: Oh definitely set minecart tracks to "do not walk here" as well. That step is important. Probably.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 2, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A new change is also needing to breach caverns for underground farming. Agriculture no longer being braindead easy is going to be Fun; I missed the trial by fire for new players in the 2D version when you had to set up your first farm by the cave river.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Between this and the Slitherine Master of Magic remake, it's going to be a very happy holiday

What in the what now

THAT master of magic? The windows 95 or older fantasy civ-alike(I think)?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You can also make minecarts zip around fully autonomously. But that carries additional, substantial danger, and fun!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/KitfoxGames/status/1587508625005764609?t=_h-M8V60IWM0jjKlhiRB8w&s=19

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I predict the first weeks reviews will be about 50/50 positive/negative, with 99% of the negative ones being from people with <30 minutes played posting things like OH MY GOD YOU CANT EVEN MOVE YOUR GUYS OR TELL THEM TO DO THINGS WHAT IS THIS poo poo

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Fantasy RimWorld clone/10

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
People who have only played rimworld building on the surface and never realizing there are z-levels.

Mochabeard
Nov 9, 2020

Posture Check! :cool:

I imagine a decent amount of forts will run into some bother in the winter seasons when they forget to bring water into the fortress.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Mochabeard posted:

I imagine a decent amount of forts will run into some bother in the winter seasons when they forget to bring water into the fortress.

What is water? Can you make socks out of it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

What is water? Can you make socks out of it?

It's a precursor to plump helmet wine.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I'm prepared for the honest-to-god 'this is a low-fi rimworld copy' takes that are going to come out. The real ones, I mean, not the fake ones.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Popete posted:

It's a precursor to plump helmet wine.

That is a dirty lie. Plump helmet wine is made from mushrooms and labor. No true dwarf would drink anything else.

Edit: Actually on this topic, considering that dwarf fortress has milk already is it not weird that Toady has not implemented Kumis?

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 2, 2022

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

7c Nickel posted:

If you know how they work, it's easier to get a minecart full of lava up 100 floors than a similar pumpstack.

Magma pistons are superior.

:colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mochabeard posted:

Or, alternatively, when they bring Too Much Water into the fortress.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Did they ever put in a win condition or in game goals other than build more stuff?
There is a win condition: Use the same world seed after you built your fort, and let time progress the same amount as you did initially; if your fort survives, you've won.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

The French Army posted:

Magma pistons are superior.

:colbert:

They only work once. If you want to say, dump BOILING ROCK on dumb invaders, you need it to be repeatable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cheap Trick posted:

Honestly, less then you might think.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, less then you might think.

At the least, I assume I'l need to remember to build supports underground so I don't accidentally entomb my dwarves - or is this not a thing?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cheap Trick posted:

At the least, I assume I'l need to remember to build supports underground so I don't accidentally entomb my dwarves - or is this not a thing?

Only in the sense that you need some supporting tile to keep things from collapsing, but you can hold a mountain up with a toothpick with no issues. Unless you intentionally try to do it (for example, trying to create a safe route through an aquifer, or having a lava casted sky hammer to drop on invaders), it's almost certainly never going to come up. Just be careful when deconstructing roof tiles when you make outdoors rooms, if you leave a tile disconnected from everything else without deconstructing it first, it's going to fall down and possibly hurt someone.

my dad fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 2, 2022

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah it used to be that you needed a form of support in every 7x7 space but that is no longer the case.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's basically 4 generations of DF: the 2 dimensional one, the version .40d one, the continuum of versions after the 2012-ish one that were still purely made by the Tarn brothers, and finally the one now being made and released.

A lot has changed between every large leap, but the basic "delegate dorfs to do stupid poo poo, try not to die, watch them die anyway" gameplay is surprisingly similar.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Having a stack of a few layers fortifications staked on top of each other and hanging from a single vertical bar hooked to a lever, that can be dropped 20 layers on top of anyone below it creates enough concussive force to kill anything, even the worst monsters from the depths.
Best of all, with a bit of planning, a single one of them can cover all entrances with some clever bridge placement, and you can make it multi-shot and reloadable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah it used to be that you needed a form of support in every 7x7 space but that is no longer the case.

That's very cool. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Setting up "cave-in traps" sounds like fun too