Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh yeah also Metal Gear Ghost Babel was a hidden gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

They sure obfuscated how to play 2 player couch co-op in animal crossing.
Right pain in the backside getting a couple characters into houses, and tooled up. But, it is a blast running around catching bugs and fish with my kid.
I mailed her a princess peach dress from the atm shop thing, and she was just delighted to see it in the mail.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Augus posted:

oh yeah also Metal Gear Ghost Babel was a hidden gem

yeah it really holds up, and it is undeniably a Metal Gear game with all that means

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Still hoping we get some weird offbeat 3rd party games for the N64 online.

Where the gently caress are Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Nintendo?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i want battletanx global assault and all three san francisco rush games

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Battletanx is one of those franchises that seems to be in IP ownership purgatory which is a shame because both games were legitimately fun and the multiplayer mode of Global Assault was insanely good. So many hours screen peeking and destroying my dad with bouncing betties.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It would be cool if when bringing GB games to console that they include the Super Game Boy borders and settings to edit colors

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

An Actual Princess posted:

i specified apart from pokemon for a reason. pokemon blue ftw

I'm an emulation nerd and yeah I'm inclined to agree w this

The next good game would be dragon warrior monsters but that's a cross plaform game with game boy color support

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hatty posted:

There are more good Gameboy games than N64 games tbh. Its a real treasure trove once you dig in

not even close to true

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
well it's sort of a nonsensical comparison because the two are nothing alike beyond the ability to play video games

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Oh my god the opening cinematic of bayonetta 1 is incredible

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hatty posted:

It’s be cool if the Gameboy app launched alongside Pokémon stadium. Those games aren’t very exciting without being able to transfer your mons

Just for argument's sake, I wonder if they could just stash an emulated copy of Red or Blue inside the in-game mode to play them through the Transfer Pak? Just point it at a ROM and run a virtual Pokemon cart inside the virtual Pokemon Stadium instance.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You are asking for way more :effort: than Nintendo is willing to put into their back catalog.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Games don’t even have an emulated Controller Pak lol. I assure you that whenever Pokémon Stadium comes out it’s going to be more barebones than you can possibly imagine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

American McGay posted:

Games don’t even have an emulated Controller Pak lol. I assure you that whenever Pokémon Stadium comes out it’s going to be more barebones than you can possibly imagine.

https://www.thegamer.com/pokemon-stadium-nintendo-switch-no-transfer-support/

Looks to be so sadly, but for good tech reasons. Here's hoping for the slim chance of future gameboy intercompatibility.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

An Actual Princess posted:

idk why everyone wants gameboy games. Name one good one that isn’t pokemon

Best to never step in the Game Boy Game Club thread in Retro Games, buddy, or you're gonna get shanked.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's a lot of GB games that are better than the NES equivalent due to better design around the platforms limitations, but a lot of people think the aren't any good NES games either. They're wrong of course.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
speaking of what's the best old (before X/Y) pokemon game to play that's not red or silver since i played those? ideally the most difficult one, if there is one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

speaking of what's the best old (before X/Y) pokemon game to play that's not red or silver since i played those? ideally the most difficult one, if there is one.

Black/White is a real good pick.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Foul Fowl posted:

The last pokemon game I enjoyed was Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gold but with the early ROM translation patch from before the western release, so you get text like 'PKBLU used TCKLE' and everything after the second town is just in Japanese.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Srice posted:

Black/White is a real good pick.

i like the pig. sold.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Oh my god the opening cinematic of bayonetta 1 is incredible

There’s a reason the camera only ever rests on Bayonetta's glasses or her butt, because the games are all about the spectacle. And the butts.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So Sea Power did some really cool stuff with the Disco Elysium soundtrack, my favorite being how they repurposed older songs for it, making wholly new compositions out of sometimes fragments, or wildly different tracks from what they used to be.

That HARDCORE track, "Ecstatic Vibrations, Totally Transcendent", takes it's original beat from "Mongk II", from their 4th record Valhalla Dancehall but from there the two tracks diverge wildly. The cowbell in "Saint Jerome" (Let the Dancers Inherit the Party) is a bit reminiscent of it but I think that's just coincidental.

"Cleaning Out the Rooms" from the same album as "Mongk II", is both referenced in game as a Thought Cabinet Thought, and is also the theme used in the soundtrack Man of Aran in "It Comes Back Again" near the latter half of the track. In Disco Elysium it's the theme called, "ZAUM" played in the outside at times.

Of course the most notable track is Everything was Forever's "Fire Escape in the Sea" a reworking from an earlier demo "Up Against It", from Machineries of Joy that is famously the Whirling-in-Rag's theme in Disco Elysium. Notably "Fire Escape in the Sea" was released after DE. However, these are both sped-up versions of Valhalla Dancehall's "Baby"'s main riff, that was later used in the soundtrack "From the Sea to the Land Beyond"'s "Heatwave".

Machineries of Joy also gives us the iconic horns from "Instrument of Surrender", in its track "Monsters of Sunderland", that first showed up in "Red Rock Riviera" in From the Sea to the Land Beyond. "When a Warm Wind Blows Through the Grass", from Machineries of Joy is reused in "Detective Arriving on the Scene" in DE.

Let the Dancer's Inherit the world gives us "Want to be Free" which is "Live With Me" in DE, the house theme in the Fisher Area and is reused in "Burn, Baby, Burn" the song on Sad FM on the boat trip.

Two more tracks re-appear afterwards on Everything Was Forever "Lakeland Echo" and "Fear Eats the Soul" which I'm pretty sure both featured in DE previously, but I'm not sure where just yet. Everything is starting to sound the same.

Let me know if you find others, this has been a fun thing to go through.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's a lot of GB games that are better than the NES equivalent due to better design around the platforms limitations, but a lot of people think the aren't any good NES games either. They're wrong of course.

Mega Man IV and V on the gameboy are better than all the NES Mega Mans

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
What are the general opinions on Sonic Frontiers? I'm on the fence about getting it and need some reviews that aren't typical Metacritic or GameSpot drivel.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SL the Pyro posted:

What are the general opinions on Sonic Frontiers? I'm on the fence about getting it and need some reviews that aren't typical Metacritic or GameSpot drivel.

reviews for the final game haven’t dropped yet but a lot of the demo impressions were pretty positive.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Augus posted:

reviews for the final game haven’t dropped yet but a lot of the demo impressions were pretty positive.

A positive opinion on a modern Sonic game? Get out of here /s.

Also finally Bayonetta arrived. Too bad I have to study for tomorrow...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
frontiers had a catastrophic first impression but people who actually played the thing are giving it a thumbs-up

definitely wait for general impressions, it’s still a sonic game with all the usual caveats

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Augus posted:

Mega Man IV and V on the gameboy are better than all the NES Mega Mans

The animated cutscenes are super impressive in IV

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

im biased against the game boy because i can't do handheld screens so all of its games suck anyway

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1587798272311054336?t=9l7fAmKnzc_gXB2wkj9i9w&s=19

very cool but also seems wild for Square to put it out a couple weeks after Tactics Ogre lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Square has had a very strange year or releasing games to die against their own titles.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean they released the Trials of Mana remake the same month as the first Final Fantasy VII Remake back in 2020. It's been an odd few years for Squenix.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Gameboy was p much my jam back then. Hell TMNT 3 Radical Rescue was Metroidvania. Plus Mike being the first turtle you play was good. :colbert:

I enjoyed the Mario Land games alot. I just realize none of the three land games had Bowser. Also funny is Warios first game was titled, Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Seriously Gameboy is at worst as "bad" as NES, which is silly cause the NES has some quality stuff there, and in facet GB is far better. It only pales a bit to SNES, but I think it holds its own against the 64 just due to the sheer amount of fun games on it.

EDIT:

And I forgot to mention but the "Tiger King" track on DE is pretty much the "Tiger King" track from Man of Aran.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 2, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

grieving for Gandalf posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1587798272311054336?t=9l7fAmKnzc_gXB2wkj9i9w&s=19

very cool but also seems wild for Square to put it out a couple weeks after Tactics Ogre lol

WOw, putting out a war game while war still rages somewhere in the world? Real tone-deaf move there, Square Enix....

Oh I'm looking to get There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension, I see it's on the Switch as well as Android. Anyone know which is the 'better' version to get? Leaning towards Android because I have google bucks and it was originally developed for that, but I don't know if the Switch version has, like, extra content or what.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Switch version will come on a platform made to play video games and not a loving phone.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Switch version will come on a platform made to play video games and not a loving phone.

I feel like you may not know what this game is

Edit: That or are bizarrely angry about phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Someone tell me if I'm wrong but "Lakeland Echo" is a re-work from DE's "The Insulindian Miracle", I guess they used it so much they used it in the album after the soundtrack!

Just need to figure out "Fear Eats the Soul", though I'm sure there are others.