Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

nah, we're jekyll and hyde hours now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tessa about to go super saiyen 3 smug in school tomorrow

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Goops gonna be real pissed off at having to get up in 4.5 hours to make sure she gets to school on time. Depending on her origin, it might be an outside context problem for her and at the very least is gonna throw off her whole energy.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tessa's going to ride the high of having magic powers again for a while, raising Rue's suspicions. In a moment of weakness Gooptessa is going to reveal itself and create more conspiracy theories for Rue to follow.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Actually, yeah, Rue finding out about Contessa seems like a very good way for the two magical girl team plotlines to converge. I’ve been hoping to see Rue become main plot relevant soon, and it would make Zoe a crucial bridge to connect the training club to her.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Actually, yeah, Rue finding out about Contessa seems like a very good way for the two magical girl team plotlines to converge. I’ve been hoping to see Rue become main plot relevant soon, and it would make Zoe a crucial bridge to connect the training club to her.

I'm going to third this idea. I love it when conspiracy theorist characters wind up finding out the horrible truth of the matter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

nimby posted:

Tessa's going to ride the high of having magic powers again for a while, raising Rue's suspicions. In a moment of weakness Gooptessa is going to reveal itself and create more conspiracy theories for Rue to follow.
This might also raise traditional alarm bells, because it is a major warning sign when a person who’s suffering from major depression suddenly seems much more at-peace and content without explanation, and this universe seems like one where kids might be taught about that.

Also fourthing Rue being right and Zoe being the bridge.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

End of Chapter 20

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I genuinely can’t tell who’s driving the car right now

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

goops the whole time. the 'possible' here is clearly "being able to actually look human'.

also the alt text joke is that goops is going as tessa for halloween

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I genuinely can’t tell who’s driving the car right now

I've been reading it as a true merger, not as two independent passengers wresting control from one another one at a time. Goop-Tessa has a messy union of Goops' and Tessa's personalities, ideas, memories, and wants. The Goops half provided the merger a sense of purpose and confidence that the Tessa half desperately wanted, and that keeps the new whole integrated.

The other characters (so far, Kokoro and Anenome) reflexively see this as "just Goops" because then you don't have to think about why someone like Tessa could be on board with these actions.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 31, 2022

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Also seems vaguely happy/pleased. No way that's Tess.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Welp, there goes my parent-murder theory. Didn't see "can literally merge back into Tessa" coming.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The focus on keeping Tessa sane during the initial merge, answering herself back after said merge, and the fact ability wise nothing they have done together required abilities Goops did not already have, suggests to me a proper merge rather than Tessa being nothing more than a person suit. Looked like she genuinely wanted Tessa's ability to lead and coordinate a group.

Of course this is just as unproven as the Goops is purely in the driving seat theory but that is fandom for ya

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Also, notice that this "Tessa's" hair is covering the same eye that's all hosed up on Goops. Does she have her regular eye under that, or is it still showing the marks of what Cassidy did to Goops?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MechaCrash posted:

Also, notice that this "Tessa's" hair is covering the same eye that's all hosed up on Goops. Does she have her regular eye under that, or is it still showing the marks of what Cassidy did to Goops?
Underneath is a normal Tessa eye, wide and terrified.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

tessas locked in a mind prison imo. goops had to keep her calm and depressed so that she doesn't fight for control. undines True Words From The Heart will get her to snap out of it and like, stop goops' hand at the last second from killing someone or whatwver.

classic tokusatsu beat. kicks rear end every time

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Tessa's hair was covering her left eye a lot leading up to the merge. It only completely covered her eye in a few frames - in most of them you could see the eye poking through the bangs.

I do think there's been more of a merge than a take-over - Goops proper generally only talked with people to mess with them and throw them off, while GooTessa saved Kokoro from evaporating (?) - if she was still on the Undine Must Suffer train, she'd probably have let Kokoro dissolve. She also left the scene to avoid awkwardness before Undine glomped Kokoro - again, I think Goops Prime would have revelled in showing off Tessa ("lol, your former bestie joined me, knowing I killed her entire team").

Note too that Tessa's text (but not the bubbles themselves, like everyone else?) is slightly coloured again now - up to now she had normal person black and white bubbles. I think it's the same colour as GooTessa's inverted bubbles, which is noticeably lighter than Goops Prime's bubbles.

The_Final_Stand fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 31, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I really don't think it's a matter of Goops having taken over Tessa entirely. We have lines like this one that are obviously supposed to hit harder because of the double entendre. I don't think she'd have that pained smile if it was only Goops in there.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I guess I read that sequence different, because I see the penultimate panel there as Kokoro having actually rattled Tessa with how hosed up letting the person who killed her team control her is, and the final panel being more a shiteating grin as Goops re-establishes control.

setting up the idea that Goops' control over Tessa relies on Tessa being willing to not fight back, so someone (undine) COULD get through to her

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The idea that Goops is "controlling" Tessa seems a little weird. Tessa entered into this arrangement on an entirely consensual basis, and it seems likely that Goops' goal is something that Tessa would regard as good (fix this weird nightmare city on a permanent basis), even though their solution will probably turn out to be wrong on the grounds that Goops is a) a dumb baby, b) a malevolent baby, and c) a baby.

Generally speaking the only thing that Tessa seems to have hesitated at was murdering a sleeping Anemone in cold blood, which resulted in Contessa showing more of Goops' features as she went in from the kill. You can read this as Goops assuming direct control, or as Goops rising to prodominance in their fusion as Tessa wavered. I tend to think it's the latter, because aside from that there's not much sign that the two of them are in conflict.

Goops has no reason to save Kokoro; Goops has no reason to hang around in Tessa's house (aside from boredom, I guess). In general, Contessa mostly acts like Tessa flavored with a bit of Goop rather than Goops puppeting Tessa around (which Goops would honestly be bad at doing because she is, explicitly, kind of dumb).

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah the idea this is entirely goops just feels way weaker narratively.
It means way more if Tessa & Goops are both part of this, both actively agreeing to this set up and acting on it. Especially for Tessa.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rannum posted:

Yeah the idea this is entirely goops just feels way weaker narratively.
It means way more if Tessa & Goops are both part of this, both actively agreeing to this set up and acting on it. Especially for Tessa.

Yeah I agree with this completely.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah this is absolutely a shared fusion.

She might think Goops is dominant as a way of denying responsibility for what they're doing though. But honestly if either of them is more in control, it's probably Tessa as that makes a better story and her flaws are much more interesting to examine.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Narratively, if it were intended to be read as Tessa, chapter 18.5 would not be written with Goops in the driver's seat. It could just have easily been written with Tessa's pov exploring her rationalizations for taking up Goop's offer

Right now we seem to be exploring a joint Goops-Tessa fusion that doesn't map onto any relatable human experience really

stellae
Oct 3, 2021

A lurker in poster's clothing
New page.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Li'l baby Kokoro!

I wonder if Mary will take this chance to actually make a costume design for her moody edgy phase. It had black in it!

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Disliking that they attack animals, but why wouldn't they? Goo punk better be happy with whatever her mysterious goal is because she's deffo toast once her plot use is over.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wow. He's like three weeks old. That's a lot of work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe younger, looks like his eyes are still closed.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I suspect Mary's cat fostering has influenced this scene.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I hope we get a good few pages of this. Honestly I'd love a flashback chapter of HP juggling her magical girl job (in black!!! and pink costume) with feeding a kitten KMR and getting her toes chewed on instead of sleeping.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 13, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ragnar34 posted:

Either way, time to buy KMR.

Indeed. Although best option when you find a very young kitten is to contact local foster organisations and see if they have a nursing cat who might take it in until it's ~10 weeks, they'll often accept an extra and that tends to give the best outcome for kittens, even the mother needs to be supplemented with KMR. But regardless Kokoro's doing the best thing here by finding someone who knows more than her about what to do and what the local setup is and going HELLO HELP

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 13, 2022

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

thechosenone posted:

I suspect Mary's cat fostering has influenced this scene.

If you follow Mary on Twitter, every now and then she comments on how weird it is to draw cats and their incredibly fluid anatomy. She's definitely spent a lot of time observing how cats are shaped and posed, that's for sure.

Also, I will now forever point at cats and knowingly say "Big Potat" and "Long Teen."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The adventures of Kitten Kicks continue!

And, notably, revealing that monsters don't attack animals under normal circumstances.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mary has accurately captured the pointy kitten tail.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Precambrian posted:

If you follow Mary on Twitter, every now and then she comments on how weird it is to draw cats and their incredibly fluid anatomy. She's definitely spent a lot of time observing how cats are shaped and posed, that's for sure.

Also, I will now forever point at cats and knowingly say "Big Potat" and "Long Teen."

Cats are a type of liquid that yells at you. Mary's kitten growth chart is a work of great scholarly import.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Very thankful that Mary has established that canonically animals are largely safe from the attacks of monsters.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So, lady kitty here is going to become a magical girl cat, right? :v:

Note, I didn't say and I didn't mean catgirl. Just a cat that happens to have a magical cat form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-20-interstitial-3

He is just a little bebe.