Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
I'm counting eight comics in a row from Ted Rall with the overt message "Biden and/or the Democrats are worthless" and the strongly implied subtext "(so don't bother voting for them)."

Will Rall go for the full dozen before election day? Stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Friday's Rall is going to be about Ukraine which you would think would break the chain except the subtext is still "so don't bother voting".

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is that supposed to be a wand?

That or he's turned into a giant and picked up the Empire State Building.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rall drawing what is supposed to be a wand that ends up looking exactly like a tranquilizer dart from a cartoon is pretty on point if you're like me and look forward to seeing how he's going to draw the next gun he decides to include. His revolvers are practically non-Euclidean

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Suella Braverman’s comments about refugees – Home secretary referred to ‘an invasion’ and ramped up her rhetoric on immigration" After William Holman Hunt.

Telegraph:

'I haven't lost my marbles': Matt Hancock defends decision to join I'm A Celebrity

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

After J Howard Miller.

Evening Standard:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

US ubiquitous gun violence by Cai Meng

What I find interesting about China Daily is that it's Chinese propaganda that is focused specifically on being Anti-American, but we never or rarely see any "pro-China" cartoons. It's a bit telling, but I guess they don't want to risk it?

Charlie Hebdo

Musk unplugs the liberty of expression.

Invasive Species: Should hunters be regulated?

"I'm fed up with these gods who keep us in place with threats!"
"Come back, my boy, those were just jokes!"
Accompanies a piece about cultural Muslims that are fed up with dogma. I think.

The following pieces have a lot of words, among other things, I've translated them, but I thought the images would be interesting if you don't want to read it all.

Mbappé, the man who will save the purchasing power of the French: Mbappé's 630 Million euro doesn't bother the left because we know French genius will know how to distribute his riches. 630 million makes 9.30 euro per French person!
From left to right
9.30Є lumber per French person!
9.30Є worth of kitty litter per French person!
9.30Є in pizza per French person!
9.30Є in fruits and vegetables per French person!
9.30Є in gas per French person!; 9.30Є in aperitif per French person!
9.30Є in toilet paper per French person!
9.30Є in coal per French person!
The left for purchasing power mobilize: More money for Mbappé!

:nws: Large breasts.

No magic wand for the Electricity Fairy: Or how to use less electricity while keeping your daily comforts
Read the left side first, top to bottom, then the right
Adopt an elephant to eliminate the need of an electric hair-dryer
Take advantage of forest fires to make your coffee
Divide your consumption by 36 by using your electric toothbrush only for one tooth
Equip your city with surveillance cameras with built-in nosy little people
Take advantage of autumnal flooding to wash once a year your dishes in the dishwasher
Plug your juicer into a 200 meter high windmill
Try the natural microwave that will defrost your pizza in two minutes.

HAHA I bothered to translate and go through a whole comic, about the Pope's possible replacement after a recent knee surgery and NWS it due to a loose scrotum when I noticed near the end one of the small images was a pope raping a child. Cartoony sure, but good job, Charlie Hebdo crew. Good on you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

What I find interesting about China Daily is that it's Chinese propaganda that is focused specifically on being Anti-American, but we never or rarely see any "pro-China" cartoons. It's a bit telling, but I guess they don't want to risk it?
I was about to compare to Russian propaganda being almost entirely anti-Western, but I guess the same is true of any cartoons here - the ratio overwhelmingly favors "the enemy is bad" vs "our side is good".

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It's just the LBJ quote writ international.

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”

When it works, it works.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

HAHA I bothered to translate and go through a whole comic, about the Pope's possible replacement after a recent knee surgery and NWS it due to a loose scrotum when I noticed near the end one of the small images was a pope raping a child. Cartoony sure, but good job, Charlie Hebdo crew. Good on you.

Yup, that's Charlie Hebdo for you.

I see the French are taking their yearly electricity shortages with practiced stoicism.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Denying Reality Is Bipartisan

Can someone with actual artistic talent take a crack at this? The concept of a dude becoming more manically happy and wizardy as he overestimates Biden and the Democrats’ electoral futures would actually be awesome if the art was good.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

What could they possibly say that would both be positive and identifiable to the average US reader?
“Hey everyone, the belt and road initiative is really swell!”

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trying to convince Americans to like you through political cartoons from half a world away seems like an awful lot of wasted energy considering the strength of our own propaganda networks. I'm not sure what their formal mission is but pointing out the more insane parts of our culture that we have just sort of normalized and even defend seems like the path of doing the least amount of work to make the most people angry, which is to say they really embody the spirit of political cartooning

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Trying to convince Americans to like you through political cartoons from half a world away seems like an awful lot of wasted energy considering the strength of our own propaganda networks. I'm not sure what their formal mission is but pointing out the more insane parts of our culture that we have just sort of normalized and even defend seems like the path of doing the least amount of work to make the most people angry, which is to say they really embody the spirit of political cartooning

For sure, I'm just curious how they would portray themselves positively is all.

DalaranJ posted:

What could they possibly say that would both be positive and identifiable to the average US reader?

When I passed an exam years ago, in between bouts of studying I watched TV and the only channel on that was mildly interesting was a Pro-China channel, I think it was CGTN but named something differently then. It's not the point. They had shows about how great it was living in China, it was super interesting to see what they portrayed as positive and all.

One show was how New Year's was celebrated and everyone would go back to the countryside to the matriarch's house, traveling hours or even days from their factory work, and frankly the food looked good but it was real bleak. Another one, was on Westerners moving over there and just loving it and explaining how great it was. Another was a nature documentary, can't go wrong with that.

Just interesting.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

This is a pretty weird comment considering literally every other comic in this entire thread and every previous iteration of the thread; the closest we get to pro-American cartoons are Prickly City's occasional flag-waving exercises and you've seen how bad those are. Even the hard-right nationalists in this thread stick to attacking other Americans.

There's this aspect

DalaranJ posted:

but there's also the aspect where cartoonists are still artists and would prefer to be making art that appeals to a wide audience. Taking a comedic swing at a nation that has been fairly vile to the entire rest of the world is way easier and is gonna have far broader appeal than trying to go comedically nationalist for one particular nation.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

For sure, I'm just curious how they would portray themselves positively is all.

It's an interesting thing I hadn't considered before. Certainly they have curated propaganda for states or nation-level orgs to get people on their side considering the combination of how many countries' leadership distrusts them in general and their status as industrial and trade giant, even before considering B&R campaigns to build public goodwill. I wonder what they look like.

That said, I've got my doubts that politoons play any role in serious diplomacy like that

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Epic High Five posted:

Some of it is just plain American division stoking. But honestly, I think this stuff is more targeted at the population of EU countries then the US. A huge number of number of China Daily's cartoon are either Uncle Sam loving over the world as a whole Europe specifically (the Europe is usually represented as some kind vague plutocrat). The overall goal seems to be trying to drive a wedge between the US and it's allies.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It is a fixture of Russian and Chinese politics to not consider European nations as having any agency whatsoever. They aren't trying to sow division, this is literally how they view the world.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm a dual citizen of America and New Zealand, and I live and work in the latter. We're an ally of America; we're part of the Five Eyes thing. If you're not aware of the kerfuffle over the filming of the Hobbit movies, there is now a law on the books in NZ that explicitly prevents the unionisation of film sector workers, and allows them to be on rotating short-term contracts instead of being made full-time permanent workers, specifically to appease Warner Brothers, the American conglomerate that owns the film rights to the Lord of the Rings IP. That law affects everyone working in "screen industries," which means games as well, which means it directly affects me. That law was put in place because WB were threatening to pull the film out of New Zealand and put it somewhere else, taking all of that funding and all of those theoretical tourist dollars away. New Zealand has great worker protections, and American companies went out of their way to strip those rather than risking the workers getting uppity and making demands. The only reason that I'm a full-time worker is because my company is run by a CEO who believes that long-term company survival is better than short-term profit, which is loving absurdly rare and I consider myself lucky every day.

I'm aware that American workers tend to be on permanent rotating short-term contracts anyway, but y'all have to understand that American workers are incredibly, incredibly vulnerable compared to the rest of the world, and in return for it they don't even get good wages anymore. American companies want to impose that poo poo on the rest of the world as well, so that they can use their wealth to destroy overseas industries that are protected from such depredation.

Now you can say "ah but America, the nation, the government, didn't explicitly do that in writing, so you can't hold America accountable" and to that I say yes I loving can, every nation has control over companies based in its borders, America decided to allow those companies to do whatever they want internationally and they went full rabid dog mode for decades. Any New Zealand company that gets big enough to set up shop overseas keeps in mind that it is still, in many ways, an ambassador for New Zealand. American companies just sink their teeth in and tear. That's how America treats its allies.

The allies that America hasn't decided need help changing their regimes, anyway.

Yet.

It wasn't some fuckin' cartoon that drove that wedge. Warner Brothers, acting as American companies, directly hosed with my employment rights as a way of getting more money out of some bullshit movies that turned out awful anyway, and I'm just some dipshit computer toucher living in some tiny island nation that usually doesn't even make it onto the corner of the map. Those wedges are well-driven at this point; if anything China Daily is just saying stuff the rest of the world already knows but with better art.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DalaranJ posted:

Somfin posted:

That's how America treats its allies.
Does America sponsor any political cartoons about how China is treating Kenyan railway workers in East Africa? That sounds like the closest to what China Today seems to be doing with Europe.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Does America sponsor any political cartoons about how China is treating Kenyan railway workers in East Africa? That sounds like the closest to what China Today seems to be doing with Europe.

It gives out a lot of corporate welfare to media conglomerates that occasionally pay a cartoonist for a depiction of Xi as the devil and also Winnie the Pooh, that's pretty close

If decentralised stochastic propaganda isn't a thing it should be

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Someone in the Department of State is really missing a politoons trick if they're not paying for Xi dressed as a British Colonial Officer being kicked out of an outline map of Kenya by one of USA's many civil rights heroes who were all well loved by all Americans in their day.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

PRRT = Petroleum Resource Rent Tax, the government is moving to use this to get billions more from gas and oil companies. Clear public appetite to overhaul gas tax: Chalmers (AFR).

Broelman:

Fence 'integrity issue' at Taronga Zoo blamed for five lions escaping enclosure, sending staff to 'safe zones' (ABC).

Wilcox 1:

Lethbridge:

On the Reserve Bank continuing to raise interest rates to halt inflation.

Knight:

The Victorian state election is officially underway (Dan Andrews on horse, Matthew Guy in ambulance). The Liberal opposition launched a "Ditch Dan" 1970s ambulance which is technically illegal under the Ambulance Services Act. Liberal campaign stunt may backfire as ‘Ditch Dan ambulance’ prompts legal questions (Guardian).

Spooner:

Wilcox 2:

Le Lievre:

Based on The Sneetches.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Antigravitas posted:

It is a fixture of Russian and Chinese politics to not consider European nations as having any agency whatsoever. They aren't trying to sow division, this is literally how they view the world.
a lot of americans think that as well, to be honest

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I know there's nothing new here, but for some reason today :smithcloud:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Denying Reality Is Bipartisan

Is the joke that the Democrats have no plans to do any of those things?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Is the joke that the Democrats have no plans to do any of those things?

The joke is, as it is with every Rall strip, Rall himself.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Duck's going mask off to openly admit he scorns stuff like diversity ("not only letting white males in"), equity ("all people should be treated equally") or inclusion ("not being horrible to people who happen to be different").

Neither Paul Pelosi nor his attacker were naked/wearing underwear during the criminal assault. That lie has been debunked as originating from a conspiracy theory site. The DOJ has released a statement of the attacker's interview, in which the attacker himself admits that Nancy Pelosi was his intended target for violence.

I know, I know, a political cartoon repeating lies and conspiracy theories is nothing new, but this just feels especially galling.

Paul Pelosi is probably going to live BECAUSE his attacker didn't have a gun. If the attacker had owned/brought a gun, Paul Pelosi would very likely be dead. The attacker might be dead too; the responding police would have been much more likely to shoot him.

California's laws regulating guns could have played a role in why the attacker didn't have a gun (I don't know if they did, but they could have). If that's the case, then California's gun laws may have saved both Pelosi's life and his attacker's life.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Putin is using Iranian weapons is a hell of a new one!

Does... does this artist not know why they were called that already

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Somfin posted:

Does... does this artist not know why they were called that already
I suspect they were attempting some pseudo-intellectual construction using the only hammer-related reference they could manage, but found themselves trapped in finding a punchline.

Surprising, really, that no one has stooped to creating a conspiracy about alcoholism in order to cartoon the two lovers discussing their evening plans. "What are you in the mood for tonight, dear?" "Oh let's just get hammered". "Well, if you think that will get you off."

(Sorry, this is SA after all. Truth be told this is so stupid, a waste, deplorable, that it's one of the things collectively making me quite angry. I have visions of Escape From LA: yeah we have electric chairs handy if you don't choose to go survive with the barbarians. :guillotine: because these people have given up being civilized.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Somfin posted:

Putin is using Iranian weapons is a hell of a new one!

It is not, in fact, a new one:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/politics/iran-missiles-russia
https://www.reuters.com/world/exclusive-iran-agrees-ship-missiles-more-drones-russia-defying-west-sources-2022-10-18/
https://www.reuters.com/world/ukraine-foreign-minister-tells-iran-counterpart-stop-sending-arms-russia-2022-10-28/

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I suspect they were attempting some pseudo-intellectual construction using the only hammer-related reference they could manage, but found themselves trapped in finding a punchline.

Surprising, really, that no one has stooped to creating a conspiracy about alcoholism in order to cartoon the two lovers discussing their evening plans. "What are you in the mood for tonight, dear?" "Oh let's just get hammered". "Well, if you think that will get you off."

(Sorry, this is SA after all. Truth be told this is so stupid, a waste, deplorable, that it's one of the things collectively making me quite angry. I have visions of Escape From LA: yeah we have electric chairs handy if you don't choose to go survive with the barbarians. :guillotine: because these people have given up being civilized.)

drat that's a good joke

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Pants Donkey posted:

Can someone with actual artistic talent take a crack at this? The concept of a dude becoming more manically happy and wizardy as he overestimates Biden and the Democrats’ electoral futures would actually be awesome if the art was good.

Meh. It's just the old clown makeup meme format.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Victar posted:

Neither Paul Pelosi nor his attacker were naked/wearing underwear during the criminal assault. That lie has been debunked as originating from a conspiracy theory site. The DOJ has released a statement of the attacker's interview, in which the attacker himself admits that Nancy Pelosi was his intended target for violence.

I know, I know, a political cartoon repeating lies and conspiracy theories is nothing new, but this just feels especially galling.

This cartoon is also perpetuating the lie that the glass door was broken from the inside, insinuating that the attacker had been invited into the Pelosi house because he was a gay escort/drug delivery guy/adenochrome mule etc.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I'm the

WELCOME
PELOSI

doormat

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was expecting the right wing to get weird about this story but I wasn't expecting this
:gop:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

By popular demand posted:

I was expecting the right wing to get weird about this story but I wasn't expecting this
:gop:
Oh, for sure. This way they get to imply not only is it not their guy, but it is in fact some loony lefty, AND they get to call Paul Pelosi secretly gay! Really feeds into everything they love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Any day now Hillary Clinton will run for president again, any day now

Also apparently the French for "magic wand" is "baguette magique". Hoping they also call the sex toy this